TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
I like Forums

Match with Most Crowd Heat EVER

One that I didn't see mentioned on here is HHH/HBK from 2002. Actually, I have no idea what the heat was like for it in person, but the heat in the bar was unlike anything I've seen for a wrestling PPV. Everyone was cheering like they were actually at an arena.

How about Chris Jericho's false WWF title win over HHH on Raw in April 2000?

I can personally attest to that as I was marking out like I was 7 and didn't have access to the internet...

Guest LooneyTune
One that I didn't see mentioned on here is HHH/HBK from 2002. Actually, I have no idea what the heat was like for it in person, but the heat in the bar was unlike anything I've seen for a wrestling PPV. Everyone was cheering like they were actually at an arena.

The crowd was pretty dead for everything in the first 15 minutes of the match except for the 2 or 3 back bumps Shawn did, which got "ooohs!". The last 10 minutes had good heat, but I wouldn't even rank it as the most over.

I'd throw Hogan/Iron Sheki out there, when Hogan won the title at MSG.

I'd even add in the rematch in December of that year in MSG. Hogan attacked Sheik before the bell and the place went bonkos. The match lasted about 5 minutes and was very similiar to Hogan's title victory. There was this LOUD roar during the entire rematch.

Guest Loss

There's a 12-woman elimination tag from AJW on 12/06/87 that has more heat than probably anything else I've ever seen from start to finish. Never underestimate the vocal cords of teenage girls, as they pretty much shrieked from start to finish in this thing.

So far as crowd heat building to a peak, you've gotta throw Mankind's first title win vs. Rock in Worcester, MA. When Austin came out to help Mankind, the place went absolutely apeshit, I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it before.

It may not be the best choice for sustained heat, but so far as building to an emotional, dramatic finish, it was just crazy.

Guest Stunt Granny

The crowd heat during The Rock vs. HHH from Backlash 2000 is pretty insane. Especially when Austin hits the ring, 18,000 people shit their pants when the glass broke.

Guest BDC
There's a 12-woman elimination tag from AJW on 12/06/87 that has more heat than probably anything else I've ever seen from start to finish. Never underestimate the vocal cords of teenage girls, as they pretty much shrieked from start to finish in this thing.

I'll make sure to mark that one off the list. That kind of screaming makes my ears bleed.

Coming into this, I honestly thought Hogan/Andre would have it, but I'm going to have to look up some of these matches.

The crowd heat during The Rock vs. HHH from Backlash 2000 is pretty insane. Especially when Austin hits the ring, 18,000 people shit their pants when the glass broke.

Even on tape, the sheer mass freakout gives me chills. I was going to suggest this if someone else hadn't first.

I really need to see Canadian Stampede one of these days. At least the main event.

Goldberg vs Raven for the U.S. Title on Nitro. This is when Goldberg won the title, the crowd goes nuts when he spears him. People in the front rows are jumping up and down.

People are jumping at WM III when Piper locks the sleeper in on Adonis, they're throwing t-shirts around during Hogan-Andre.

Guest eBayBrison

I must say... this goes slightly off topic to a single person with most heat (but still radiated into the match), I can say Shawn Michaels' first match back in Canada after Nov 97'. That was THE most heat that I have ever heard in the ring.

The Brock/Goldberg match at WM XX was awesome heat as well.

Brison

Guest eBayBrison

Well I just figured heat is heat, and that was red hot. I see your point though.

Brison

Guest LooneyTune

Different kind of heat though. Shawn Michaels in Canada heat is "We Want You Dead On Fish Hooks" heat. Or an even worse type of "X-Pac Heat".

To this day I have never seen anything rival Goldberg defeating Hogan to win the WCW World Title in the Georgia Dome in front of 40,000+ fans.

The Canadian Stampede, Rock/Hogan, and the ten man tag in early 2000 on Raw with HHH/X-Pac/Benoit/Saturn/Malenko taking on Foley/The Rock/Too Cool and Rikishi. That match had some of the most insane crowd heat I have ever heard.

My god, I nearly forgot about that match. That was one of my favorite tag matches in a LONG TIME. I remember getting hyped for that match, enjoying it along with the crowd.

I don't know if this has been mentioned on the thread, even though this match was short. Let's remember the McMahon/Helmsley era, where Linda McMahon was useless, Earl Hebner was rebelling, etc. etc. Y2J challenged HHH to a title match on RAW. The match went on, with HHH still disrespecting Hebner. Y2J hits his lionsault, and Hebner counted the quick 3, and that CROWD EXPLODED. I think that ranks up there with some of the best crowd heat ever.

I also agree with others with the heat showed at Backlash 2000, when Austin returned! I was one with the crowd! I was jumping all over the place when that glass broke, and to THIS DAY, nothing has came close.

I think it shows how much powerful (for lack of a better word) wrestling was back during the Radicals & DX vs. RocknSock & 2 Cool match. Can you believe a match with X-Pac, Rikishi, Christopher and Scotty could EVER have such heat or lasting power?!?

I attended both Canadian Stampede and WMX8.

Both were good, but nothing will beat WMX8 in my opinion, because of the mass of people, and the match meant more.

I was one of the only few going for The Rock, and when he kicked out of the leg drop, i completely lost it.

Guest LooneyTune

Eh... the crowd heat for Angle/Eddie at WM XX wasn't a "this is a moment you won't forget" type heat. Nothing that stands out at least. I think the Angle/Eddie match at Summerslam had more crowd participation than at WM XX.

Guest Stunt Granny

Another lost classic that had huge heat thoughout was Austin vs. Kurt Angle from SummerSlam 2001. The crowd ate up everything in that match. Too bad it had such a shitty finish.

Guest wildpegasus

I'll make sure to mark that one off the list. That kind of screaming makes my ears bleed.

Coming into this, I honestly thought Hogan/Andre would have it, but I'm going to have to look up some of these matches.

Than you'd probably be missing out. I can't say enough good things about the awesomeness of joshi puroresu.

Loss, that's the match cited by Meltzer as having the most heat ever, right? I was under the impression that only 10 minutes or so was shown from this match. Is it available in full?

Guest Stupuss

During Mick Foley's first title win against The Rock on Raw the heat when Austin ran in and destroyed Rock with a chair shot was amazing, maybe even more so than the actual moment when Foley won.

To this day I have never seen anything rival Goldberg defeating Hogan to win the WCW World Title in the Georgia Dome in front of 40,000+ fans.

The Canadian Stampede, Rock/Hogan, and the ten man tag in early 2000 on Raw with HHH/X-Pac/Benoit/Saturn/Malenko taking on Foley/The Rock/Too Cool and Rikishi. That match had some of the most insane crowd heat I have ever heard.

Don't forget how the place nearly fell apart when Paul Bearer walked out.

1998:

+ The Undertaker throws Foley off/through the cell

+ The Rock basically says "fuck the fans" and teams with McMahon

1999:

+ Austin returns, Foley wins the title

+ RAW is Owen (okay, maybe not)

2000:

+ The return of Cactus Jack

+ Cactus Jack/Triple H

+ The return of Paul Bearer and Kane

+ Austin appears on Smackdown! and destroys the DX Express

+ Austin helps the Rock win the title