TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The 2005 Oscar Nominees

Murray was wanting to get the hell out of there after Penn won.

Crystal had to stop him as he was getting up to leave.

"Bill, don't go....don't go. We still love you."

Bill's little depressed act kinda pissed me off. He didn't deserve to win- so why throw a little fit?

I like Jude Law a lot. I loved him in Cold Mountain and he saved Alfie from being a complete and utter disaster.

Murray was wanting to get the hell out of there after Penn won.

Crystal had to stop him as he was getting up to leave.

"Bill, don't go....don't go. We still love you."

I would've said:

Hey Bill- you're a whiny bitch who lost to the better man. Get over it and stop acting like a prick.

I agree, it was very unprofessional of Bill just to sit there and not do anything when Penn was getting up from his seat. Especially when Penn complmented Murray, and all of the other actors in his acceptance sppech a few seconds later.

That's probably the best memory of that show last year. You have that five screen showing all of the nominees (Johnny Depp, Ben Kingsly, Sean Penn, Jude Law, and Bill Murray) and when Nicole Kidman announced the winner, you see life just come out of Bill Murray.

Fucking hilarious.

Here's my analysis. The Oscars are all about FINALLY giving people an award after dicking them for years. Thus:

Best Picture: Gotta go with The Aviator. Eastwood has already won stuff so Million Dollar Baby won't win I don't think. Sideways is an indie flick and we all know how well those do in Oscar races. Finding Neverland is the sort of movie that gets all sort of nominations but no wins. Ray, as we have noted, isn't a great actual film. So basically they'll give it to Scorsese to shut him up. Besides, I saw the movie and it was really great.

Best actor: Rock need not fear. Foxx will win a heated contest, but man is this category stacked or what? DiCaprio will finish 2nd narrowly here and cry on Scorsese's shoulder. Depp won't give a shit.

Best supporting actor: For whatever reason I think Freeman will get this. Million $ Baby has to win SOMETHING and do you realize that Freeman has never won? At least I don't think he has.

Best actress: The only two of these films I've even HEARD of are Eternal Sunshine and M$B. I think Kate will win this, mainly because "Two time oscar winner Hillary Swank" just sounds so strange.

Best supporting actress: Well, Natalie Portman played a stripper (not quite a hooker, but still) so she will likely win. Haha!

Best director: Gotta give it to Scorsese this time.

I'm fine with almost everything, but why is Shark Tale nominated for Best Animation when Ghost in the Shell 2: INNOCENCE is not?

It's not even my personal bias or anything, it's just plain obvious that Shark Tale isn't even in the same league as Innocence.

IMDB ratings, just to further illustrate:

Shark Tale - 5.8

Innocence - 7.7

Thoughts:

Jim Carrey should have indeed been nominated, if Jaimie Foxx can shed the image of Booty Call and Wanda, why can't Jim shed the image of Fire Marshall Bill and Ace Ventura.

Ghost in the Shell 2 should have been nominated. Better than Shrek 2. Incredibles should win anyway, so moot point.

Eternal Sunshine should have been nominated for picture over Ray.

I thought for sure that Freeman would have won an Oscar, but it looks like he hasn't. He has to get it as a consolation at least (haven't seen $1,000,000 baby.)

Had Andy Kaufman been as beloved as Ray Charles- Carrey would've gotten a nod in 1999.

I'm not upset about Foxx getting a nod for Ray- probably the best performance of the year. But him getting a nod for Collateral is just retarded.

Tim Meadows was screwed

Part of the no Fahrenheit was back after it came out, Michael Moore said he was not entering it in the Documentary field of the awards, just the regular. He just wanted to be up for Best Picture and possibly Best Director. My guess is he did that as he knows the Academy dislikes him now and can use it as an excuse "People still don't accept documentary film!"

Last year, although I enjoyed Bill Murray's performance and knew it wasn't the best in the field, I wanted to see him win. Just because all the other nominee were always there and this was the one time I could see Murray being nominated. I don't think he'll ever get that close again. Although, the trophy going to Sean Penn should've been for 21 Grams, when they gave it for Mystic River.

well for one, I would say they're certainly trying to shake the image that they don't award black actors or movies driven by those actors...it's all political and I don't like it...give it to Denzel Washington becasue he's good, not because you fucked up and didn't give it to him for Malcolm X...Halle Berry seriously didn't deserve hers...

Guest Cerebus

Chris Rock won't be Chris Rock if he's going to be censored to the degree he will be. Still, I think watching animals being mutilated would be funnier than another Academy Awards hosted by Billy Crystal or Whoopi Goldberg.

Oh and they shit upon Eternal Sunshine. Fuck them.

well for one, I would say they're certainly trying to shake the image that they don't award black actors or movies driven by those actors...it's all political and I don't like it...give it to Denzel Washington becasue he's good, not because you fucked up and didn't give it to him for Malcolm X...Halle Berry seriously didn't deserve hers...

whoa whoa whoa....

And why didn't Halle deserve hers? I mean, true that is the only oscar caliber performance she has given (maybe Losing Isaiah) and she did do a damn good job.

With Denzel Washington, I think it was just one of those 'Oops, we're sorry!' wins because he should have won for earlier roles in his career. They do it all the time, so I don't think it's necessarily a race thing.

Halle Berry though... Of course it wasn't a particularly strong year for actresses.

Exactly. the actress field really wasn't strong that year and out of those nominated, you have to admit that she did have one of the better performances. I think the fact that Monster's Ball was...well...lets just say an anti-good movie is why people feel she didn't deserve the award.

Denzel, he was well overdue after the screwings on Malcom X and The Hurricane.

He did win earlier in his career though.

He won for Glory in 89

The supporting actor nod is the bastard step child of the leading actor award.

Exactly. the actress field really wasn't strong that year and out of those nominated, you have to admit that she did have one of the better performances. I think the fact that Monster's Ball was...well...lets just say an anti-good movie is why people feel she didn't deserve the award.

Renee Zelwegger definitetly should've won for Bridget Jones's Diary. One of my favourite films and performances ever

Exactly.  the actress field really wasn't strong that year and out of those nominated, you have to admit that she did have one of the better performances.  I think the fact that Monster's Ball was...well...lets just say an anti-good movie is why people feel she didn't deserve the award.

Renee Zelwegger definitetly should've won for Bridget Jones's Diary. One of my favourite films and performances ever

WHAT?

I question her being nomintated for that. Cute movie and all, but geez bob. I mean, Jame Lee Curtis gave a great performance in Freeky Friday, but you don't go throwing Oscars at her.

Question her being nominated???

She took a role that no one thought she could do and literally transformed herself into Bridget. She gave the character emotional warmth and like the book, was able to make her very relatable. It's the movie that made Renee Zelwegger my favourite actress.

whoa whoa whoa....

And why didn't Halle deserve hers? I mean, true that is the only oscar caliber performance she has given (maybe Losing Isaiah) and she did do a damn good job.

Alot of people say it was the sex scene between Billy Bob and Halle that got her the Oscar.

I can't comment because I haven't seen the film.

Although I did hear P. Diddy gets electrocuted which is worth a video rent at least.

Guest Loss

Uma Thurman got robbed.

David Carradine got robbed.

Quentin Tarantino got robbed.

Jim Carrey got robbed.

I'm not surprised by any means, though.