TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dimensions

Brock Lesnar Files Suit Against WWE

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Also let's factor in with the idiots who feel that Brock Lesnar's a moron here.

You make the "If he really loved and wanted to be a football player, why didn't he play it in college and why become a wrestler?"

Most people gloss over the fact he had a FULL Scholorship to University of Minnesota to be a Wrestler. He had partial offers from Smaller colleges for football but the big one was the offer from Minnesota. So he took that one; Collegiate Wrestling is a full time 'occupation' as is football; which means it's very rare for an athelete to do two sports as equally difficult at the Collegiate level, and when they do, they aren't often equally physical. It's not like playing Basketball and Football.

Brock Lesnar used the opportunity @ Minnesota for a better education and better "life". So why did he become a professional wrestler?

He was a young man who grew up on a farm. His parents weren't loaded, his best chances to ensure a healthy life for himself and his family was to sign a professional contract.

So he went into Professional Wrestling because he needed money along with the fact he had a young daughter to raise. He had his Priorities in order. He went where the money was and he followed it to tremendous success.

However; he reached a point where he had done it all. Three Time WWE champion at just age 27. That's when the dream came back; he needed to know if he was ever going to have a shot at accomplishing his dream.

So he left; the timing was horrible but we've seen many people in this business leave under worst circumstances.

He chased his dream and fell short; perhaps likely marred by his previous decision to be a professional wrestler.

So his dream didn't make out; so he knows he can perform this occupation and make a good living for himself and his children.

Yet; you people want to act like he raped your mother.

He was a young kid who had to make a decision that he may not have wanted to make and he went to rectify that and he fell short. So he wants another chance to do what he can do.

Why should we condemn him for wanting to have a better and happier life.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I'm not condemning him, I just think he should have went about leaving in a smarter way. If he thought it was unfair to have the clause, he shouldn't have signed it. He would have been better off bringing a lawyer in BEFORE he endorsed it with his signature instead of after.

Simply put, if the contract says that the no-compete clause is to last until 2010, and Brock Lesnar signed that contract knowing exactly what the stipulation was, he should be forced to stick by it. If that was always to be the deal, then I don't see what there is to discuss. It's a shame he shot himself in the foot by signing such a contract, but you live and learn.

I say he's dumb for just signing it. He should have had a lwayer look at it first instead of agreeing to it and then saying that it's unfair now.

You're ignoring the possibility that he signed it knowing that it seemed overly restrictive and banking on being able to blue-pencil his way out of it. Not the smartest move by any stretch of the imagination, but when you're faced with wanting out of a contract and having little to no bargaining power, as he was, you tend to take your chances.

This isn't meant to portray Lesnar as being a poor guy taken advantage of, just to say that he was really at McMahon's whim when getting out of the contract. It happens all the time.

Guest Salacious Crumb

God you people are whiney bitches and ingrates. The man wrestled for financial reasons. The guy wanted to do something else and didn't like the travel schedule for wrestling.

Get over it. Stop whining about his stupidity just because you're mad at him for not entertaining you anymore.

I'm not "mad" at him for not entertaining me anymore (I could give 2 shits about Lesnar's ability to entertain me, which he never had), I just think he's an idiot for making a very bad business choice. The Rock has practically left WWE to make millions as a movie star now that's a smart business choice.

I agree with The Shadow Behind You... Brock had his priorities straight, his first and foremost has to look after his family, and at the time, he HAD to take the first opportunity presented to him... He's no fool for doing what he did in WWE and thinking about what he could achieve in NFL...

I would say he is a bit of a fool for thinking he could make it in the NFL when he hadn't played football since high school. Not that there's anything wrong with chasing a dream, but it was an unrealistic goal.

Guest fanofcoils
God you people are whiney bitches and ingrates.  The man wrestled for financial reasons.  The guy wanted to do something else and didn't like the travel schedule for wrestling.

Get over it.  Stop whining about his stupidity just because you're mad at him for not entertaining you anymore.

Which is more important, Brock Lesnar's happiness or the wrestling fans who are entertained by Brock Lesnar happiness?

Guest Ransome
Also let's factor in with the idiots who feel that Brock Lesnar's a moron here.

You make the "If he really loved and wanted to be a football player, why didn't he play it in college and why become a wrestler?"

Most people gloss over the fact he had a FULL Scholorship to University of Minnesota to be a Wrestler. He had partial offers from Smaller colleges for football but the big one was the offer from Minnesota. So he took that one; Collegiate Wrestling is a full time 'occupation' as is football; which means it's very rare for an athelete to do two sports as equally difficult at the Collegiate level, and when they do, they aren't often equally physical. It's not like playing Basketball and Football.

Brock Lesnar used the opportunity @ Minnesota for a better education and better "life". So why did he become a professional wrestler?

He was a young man who grew up on a farm. His parents weren't loaded, his best chances to ensure a healthy life for himself and his family was to sign a professional contract.

So he went into Professional Wrestling because he needed money along with the fact he had a young daughter to raise. He had his Priorities in order. He went where the money was and he followed it to tremendous success.

However; he reached a point where he had done it all. Three Time WWE champion at just age 27. That's when the dream came back; he needed to know if he was ever going to have a shot at accomplishing his dream.

So he left; the timing was horrible but we've seen many people in this business leave under worst circumstances.

He chased his dream and fell short; perhaps likely marred by his previous decision to be a professional wrestler.

So his dream didn't make out; so he knows he can perform this occupation and make a good living for himself and his children.

Yet; you people want to act like he raped your mother.

He was a young kid who had to make a decision that he may not have wanted to make and he went to rectify that and he fell short. So he wants another chance to do what he can do.

Theres eight (!) semicolons in this post, and most of them are grammatically incorrect. Did you just discover the semicolon button this morning or something? :)

I don't think anyone hates Brock for living a dream, but it's just a little funny that he badmouthed wrestling after he left and now he's crawling back with his tail between his legs.

If Brock is filing suit against WWE, I guess this kills any chance of a return to WWE once and for all?

I don't think anyone hates Brock for living a dream, but it's just a little funny that he badmouthed wrestling after he left and now he's crawling back with his tail between his legs.

If Brock is filing suit against WWE, I guess this kills any chance of a return to WWE once and for all?

It was just bad judgement on Lesnar's part, which is something everyone has been guilty of at one point.

And no, this won't kill Lesnar's chances of returning to WWE. It might make it more likely that when they get their revenge on him it will even more humiliating, but his chances of returning remain the same as they would without the lawsuit.

Heh, this is Lesnar's revenge for Vince not listening to his calls. This will have Vince's attention. As far as I know, no one has ever contested a no compete clause from the WWE.

Guest I Just Want To Lurk

Football pipe dreams aside, none of this would be an issue if Lesnar just worked for McMahon. "No compete" means "don't wrestle for anyone else." If he wants to be a wrestler again, WRESTLE FOR THE GUY YOU SIGNED THE DAMN CONTRACT WITH.

And how much was his fiance's lawsuit against Vince for? I forgot.

I suppose this means that Brock either wants to wrestle in Japan or start a new career as a shootfighter?

We're told that his no compete clause that he signed prevents him from working for any competitor or anything related to wrestling. (i.e. UFC, Pride). We're told that, and this is a legit date, his no compete cause ends on June 30, 2010. WWE's no compete clause includes all countries outside the US as well.

That's just way too broad for a no-compete clause. WWE doesn't compete with Pride, and McMahon damn well knows that. Methinks he was just trying to fuck over Lesnar for quitting.

Hey Ace (or anyone else who knows international law), could Brock actually be punished by the American legal system if he went to work for, say, New Japan or Pride? Would a foreign government care about the WWE's no-compete clause?

Depends. It'd be brought in American courts, since I'm sure the original contract and the non-competition clause contains American choice-of-law and choice-of-forum provisions... logically Connecticut, although there might be another venue that has law more favorable to the corporation (obviously, since they're more or less the king of the contract - Lesnar's bargaining power would be slim to none) and that they could reasonably say they dealt with (after all, WWE entered the stream of commerce in all 50 states). If there's no choice-of-law/forum clause, it would most likely be tried in Connecticut or wherever WWE (which would bring the breach of contract suit, obviously) decided to sue.

Now, assuming the non-competition clause is enforced, I'd wager that it clause includes stipulated damages - that is, Lesnar agreed not to violate the clause, and if he does, he's subject to such and such a penalty (probably a significant amount of money designed to make it uneconomical to work anywhere else). If it does, it's mostly a matter of going to court to get a judgment, although Lesnar's lawyers would probably argue along the same lines as they'll argue the non-competition clause generally - that the penalty is overly harsh and should be dismissed entirely.

If the clause doesn't include stipulated damages, first, shame on McMahon's lawyers. Lesnar would then be responsible for some damages - likely, although I'm not sure on this one, some portion of the amount of money WWE could have made off of him that the Japanese promotion did, although the courts would be hard-pressed to hit him for more money than he was paid for his appearances. This is a case where the law seems to penalize the performer for being wildly successful, but the paradox is only apparent - constructively, he does still belong to Vince.

In either case, WWE would argue that Lesnar's wrestling in Japan hurt them economically, offering as evidence (just off the top of my head) things like the DVD and other merchandise sales in the Japanese market, as well as their inability to use him on a Japanese tour.

Of course, as I said, this all assumes that the clause is upheld. If Lesnar jumped the gun and wrestled in Japan next week, WWE would sue for damages, and the trial would deal as an ancillary issue with the question of the enforceability of the clause.

In any case, it's pure civil litigation. It's not like Lesnar's going to be thrown in jail for it.

First off, i thought his no-compete thing ended in March. Second, why not just sign back with the WWE if he wants to wrestle? Unless, he contacted them already and Vince decided not to bring him back.

That's just way too broad for a no-compete clause. WWE doesn't compete with Pride, and McMahon damn well knows that. Methinks he was just trying to fuck over Lesnar for quitting.

That was my initial thought. There's no way Vince can construe Japanese promotions as direct competition unless he really pulls the wool over the judge's eyes, and the judge is ignorant to the business to boot. Yes, the WWE has an international market, but Brock working for a promotion in Japan can't possibly hurt the WWE. The only company in the world going after the WWE's true target market is TNA, and due to a number of reasons, it's hard to even deem them as any form of competition.

Not to mention that the prior precedent with no-compete clauses would be in Lesnar's favor, Spanky is the obvious case of a wrestler asking for release and being allowed to work for North American promotions within a few months. Yes, Lesnar signed the thing, but there are many cases where a contract was overruled by the legal system.

And I've still got work in the back of my mind, though it's unlikely, especially with Sable in his ear.

First off, i thought his no-compete thing ended in March. Second, why not just sign back with the WWE if he wants to wrestle? Unless, he contacted them already and Vince decided not to bring him back.

Vince would be insane not to accept him back, and you know he WILL take him back, but from what I've read it was actually Brock who's been reluctant, due to Vince completely lowballing him. And you can't blame Vince on that either, because he holds all the cards, and rightfully so. Brock is joining the kiss my ass club all the way, unless half the top stars get injured at the same time and Vince gets desperate. Brock can ask Sable how his salad tastes.

That was my initial thought.  There's no way Vince can construe Japanese promotions as direct competition unless he really pulls the wool over the judge's eyes, and the judge is ignorant to the business to boot.

Bingo. The problem is that judges are people, too, and being on the whole likely to be ignorant and a little dismissive of the wrestling business, are likely to be persuaded by the corporation. I wouldn't be surprised if, say, Stuart's site and the tape-trading market get brought up as avenues by which threats to WWE's business could enter the American market, especially if the judges accept the idea that Lesnar is a star. While the Japanese promotion doesn't profit directly, fans buying bootlegged tapes just to see Lesnar could conceivably, if one is inclined to find for McMahon, be construed as taking away from WWE's video sales. Do I find it persuasive? No, but I'm also not on the bench.

Not to mention that the prior precedent with no-compete clauses would be in Lesnar's favor, Spanky is the obvious case of a wrestler asking for release and being allowed to work for North American promotions within a few months.

The material issue is the harm to WWE. Spanky was hardly a star, smark darling or not, whereas Lesnar headlined Wrestlemania with Angle. Also, Spanky's release was negotiated with WWE, as I recall - I don't remember any legal action, and there's really no reason to apply the same clause to everyone. Not everyone is as valuable to WWE, quite frankly. As I suggested, it's possible that they'll impose the standard clause, but I'd doubt it considering Lesnar's star status.

Yes, Lesnar signed the thing, but there are many cases where a contract was overruled by the legal system.

Very, very true. I'm glad to see this recognized.

why not just sign back with the WWE if he wants to wrestle? Unless, he contacted them already and Vince decided not to bring him back.

Lots of reasons. After all, he left because of the heavy travel. Working on Japan's tour system isn't the same as working on the American schedule, although I'd like someone who actually knows what he's talking about (ie, not me) to weigh in on the exact differences. Lesnar also has every right not to want to work for a particular boss - maybe he just hates McMahon, I don't know. The whole point of negotiating a release was so he wouldn't have to.

Lesnar also has a reasonable fear of retribution. Considering the reputation they built for him, he has a public image as a monster character that will sell in Japan or (assuming he doesn't get Nagatad or Gabered in his first fight) shoot competition. To go back to WWE now and face paying his dues again could arguably hurt his drawing power in Japan... again, at least in the eyes of a court ignorant of the business's nuances that's inclined to find in his favor. As Precious Roy noted, there's also the problem of a drastic pay cut. If he can make more money somewhere else by litigating out of what I consider a ridiculously restrictive clause, who can blame him?

Guest Frank_Nabbit

As reported earlier, Brock Lesnar has filed a lawsuit against WWE claiming that they aren't letting him pursue a living due to the no compete clause he agreed to on his way out of the company last year.

Lesnar's no compete clause apparently forbids him from working for any pro-wrestling or fighting company worldwide for the remainder of his WWE contract which was only one year in when he was released. That contract expires on June 30, 2010.

Lesnar had talks with WWE last month about returning, but apparently had "ridiculous" demands and no deal could be reached.

Lesnar agreed to the no compete clause last year when he decided he did not want to wrestle anymore and wanted to pursue an NFL career. WWE did not want to give Lesnar his release, only to have him jump to a competitor later on using the star power he got in WWE.

What really hurts Lesnar is that the no compete clause covers the entire world, which means he can't even go to Japan.

Credit: PWTorch.com

Lesnar had talks with WWE last month about returning, but apparently had "ridiculous" demands and no deal could be reached.

"I want to beat Undertaker clean."

Guest Loss

Keller sure does tow the company line, doesn't he? How bogus.

It's funny how the non-compete clauses mean more than they did even five years ago, when Jericho broke his 90-day clause with WCW and went to WWE in quick fashion, knowing that WCW didn't have a legal leg to stand on if he jumped early.

Brock's terms were allegedly for a Ric Flair style schedule of 10 dates a month, the same salary as when he left ($1.5M downside contract) and assurances he would be pushed in the same manner as he was before he left. The WWE felt these demands were "unreasonable" given the way he left and his physical condition and in ring abilities when compared to Flair. As such, conversations quickly ended.

I personally think if Brock signed the agreement, he should be held to it. He wanted to go play football but didn't have the skills so has came back to the market where he made the most money. His own arrogance in regards to his football abilities, wrestling drawing power and foolishness in business has doomed him financially and gave the WWE no desire to rehire him in a rush.

He turned his back on the very people that allowed him to afford two houses and a private jet as well as meet his girlfriend, worldwide television exposure, to travel the world and the platform to create such interest so when he left for the NFL, it was a big deal in both the wrestling and pro sports world. Now he comes back because he failed and his back account is decreasing. WWE doesn't want him back but own him for the rest of the decade regardless, all because he thought he was NFL quality and was wrong.

Maybe I'm being an asshole, but something about that kind of arrogant short sighted attitude coming back to bite someone in the ass makes me smile. Remember the reports of his refusal to sign wrestling merchandise and promo photos of him because "That part of my life is over"? Funny how now he consider it's his career.

Well, he obviously wants to work for them again, and if the deal is right Vince will obviously take him back, so it's not an issue of the WWE refusing to employee him, but rather both sides being unable to come to an agreement on the terms of a new contract. Vince can effectively block him from the company or screw him over by only making lowball offers, knowing that he hold's Brock's fate in his hands, which is the basis for Brock filing this lawsuit.

Now, if the WWE trys to argue that Brock is of great value to them they can't really screw him over in contract offers, as they contradict themseves in front of the law. Technically, he should be paid in accordance to his open market value, and the judge, should he take all this into account, may give the E an ultimatum, pay him his value if you want to use him or else he's free to seek employment elsewhere. That of course, is the best case scenario for Brock.

The 10 dates thing is IMO, the biggest stumbling block when it comes to actually negotiating the deal. Vince is not going to want to pamper this guy like that after he walked out on him, I can see maybe 15-20 dates just to avoid the same thing happening again with Lesnar feeling burnt out from the road, but 10 dates, for that kind of money, it's not worth it to the company, and Vince will definitely make that clear in court.

Brock's gonna have to sacrifice either money or free time, because he's not gonna get them both. If he'd played nice, did his job, and honored his original contract he might have got some concessions on the next one, but that's his own dumbass fault.

I just think he's an idiot for making a very bad business choice. The Rock has practically left WWE to make millions as a movie star now that's a smart business choice.

You wouldn't be saying that if Rock's movie career failed.

Rock had a better shot as a movie star than Lesnar as a pro-footballer when push comes to shove, sure. But if he wasn't making the millions, it would have been a 'dumb decision'...because these situations are always judged on the end outcome. It's only a good business decision if it works.

Your reasons why Lesnar shouldn't have left are idiotic. If he had a million dollar contract and his own plane, he MUST have been happy, right? I mean, he shouldn't take a risk and take up a challenge when he could simply half-ass through life with lots of money, right?

Because, clearly that's the only issue here. Money. At least, as far as you're concerned. Lesnar is an athlete. Money isn't the only thing all athletes respond to. Some like to challenge themselves. Do they need to? No. Why do they? To see if they have what it takes. Some try movie careers. Some try going into politics. Lesnar went for football. Some succeed. Some don't. I don't think he's an idiot for taking a risk if it's what he wanted to do.

He's not an idiot for taking a shot at the NFL, he's an idiot for the way he left and the bridges he burnt in the process. He looks real stupid for badmouthing wrestling the way he did, and for giving up so easily on his "dream" when things didn't go the way he wanted them to. If he really wanted to make it in football he'd be over in Europe or in the arena leagues, learning the craft.

The no compete claus does seem rediculous, but Lesnar signed it thinking he would have a career in the NFL. That didn't work out, so he should now have to lie in the grave he dug for himself.

..He should just show up at movie shoots, and make $300 and a free T-Shirt.