TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trivia247

WWE signs 5 indi wrestlers

Guest Trivia247

From Steveswrestling.com

Reported by Steve Fox on 02.17.2005

WWE has signed independent wrestlers Danny Inferno, Mike Mondo, Mike Taylor, Joey Matthews, John Roselli and Steve Lewington to developmental contracts.

Multiple sources are reporting that Frankie Kazarian could be the next guy to receive a developmental contract with WWE. WWE contacted several cruiserweight wrestlers over the past few weeks and Kazarian is believed to be one of them.

If this is all true given that steveswrestling get their info from other sources obviously, it would appear that they are making an effort to rebuild the cruiserweight division..

Danny Inferno?

Holy shit. I'm shocked he's still around.

Don't get your hopes up. Inferno is a generic ligt heavyweight who works a heavyweight style prior to entering the developmental system. Just imagine him afterwards.

Guest Trivia247
Danny Inferno?

Holy shit. I'm shocked he's still around.

Don't get your hopes up. Inferno is a generic ligt heavyweight who works a heavyweight style prior to entering the developmental system. Just imagine him afterwards.

there was a quote joey styles did in ECW when Mikey Whipwreck took on Stormin Norman in 1995..

"even Mikey needs someone to squash."

So who knows maybe Danny is the guy that Akio will be "Allowed" to dominate

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I thought Joey Matthews and Christian York had developmental contracts a few years ago?

And what ever became of Ace Darling? When did he retire?

I thought Joey Matthews and Christian York had developmental contracts a few years ago?

They did. They were let go around the time of the Invasion, IIRC, along with Spanky and Bryan Danielson (American Dragon). Some of them came back, it seems.

Try years (in Mondo's case). Matthews has been there a while too.

To his credit though, not all OVW talent is signed talent. Matthews went down on his own accord when his g/f Alexis Laree got signed, IIRC.

Guest Trivia247

One of these little curiosities. Are all OVW wrestlers signed to the WWE as development wrestlers? Or only those few are Development and the rest just indi's?

These guys have all been on the OVW website for a long time.

It should be noted that the only Tough Enough guys left in developmental are Puder, Nick Mitchell, Ryan Reeves, and Marty Wright. I guess Rodimer is done.

One of these little curiosities. Are all OVW wrestlers signed to the WWE as development wrestlers? Or only those few are Development and the rest just indi's?

OVW Wrestlers are under either a contract with OVW (which usually states they can't wrestle for other promotions without permission) or are WWE developmental guys.

The only guy who is a true Cruiserweight is Mike Mondo... none of these guys besides him are CW size although they're not hosses either (which is good).

MIKE MONDO

Awesome wrestler, but he's not much under 5' tall. Snitsky was brought in as his brother "Mean Gene" Mondo and generally ripped Mike Mondo's current look. I would imagine he'd be a manager (he's managing Blaster Lasheley along with Bolin right now) or be a designated comedy jobber ala Crash Holly.

DANNY INFERNO

Would be a heavyweight. Quite a bit bigger than Nova. Decent... would be good in a tag team. I'm pretty sure this isn't the Inferno Kid... he seems like he's about 6'2"-6'3".

MIKE TAYLOR

Stealing a lot of WWE moves right now, but he's had a couple decent matches. Too early to tell how good he is. He's sort of built a bit, probably around 5'10"-6' ish

JOEY MATTHEWS

Very awesome.... great on the mic. Excellent signing. I'm going to be pissed if they don't keep he, Nitro, and Melina together because they're GOLD. That unit would instantly be the top tag team in the company.

JOHN ROSELLI

In tag team matches with a "gay" gimmick with Antonio Thomas as the Heartbreakesr. Has potential and I've heard from a couple people he was pretty good before OVW.

STEVE LEWINGTON

I like what I've seen from him so far and he's gotten quite over with the Louisville crowd. Cuts a decent promo too, but the sample size here is limited.

All these guys have been in OVW for a few months at least. Inferno, Mondo, Matthews for at least a year so I have pretty good opinions on them. Lewington/Roselli/Taylor only recently popped up on TV.

They also signed another OVW worker who goes by the name of Mac Johnson.

I like Mac Johnson too. He plays the Southern Tag Team Babyface real well. He's probably about 6'ish and was pretty lanky when he debutted last year, but he's been on the juice pretty hard. He's a "high flyer" by OVW standards, which isn't staying much. He's still a bit green but is improving at a good clip.

And what ever became of Ace Darling? When did he retire?

Poor York and Matthews have always gotten screwed. They were signed to WCW for about six months, and then got released. They went to ECW, it closed. Sign to WWE, released. Go to XPW, and just when York seems to be on the verge of a push, it closes.

Ace works the occasionally tiny NJ indy every so often.