TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JebusNassedar

RoH Third Anniversery Week

Guest JebusNassedar

Results!

2/19 Day

Lacey over Allison Danger

Christopher Street Connection over Heartbreak Express (Sean and Phil Davis)

Vordell Walker over Cheech (Special K)

The Overboyz (Punk students who's names I cant find for the life of me) over Mike and Mark Milan

Ricky Landell and Alex Law (Corino students) over Davey Andrews and Anthony Franco (Punk Students)

Fast Eddie wins four corner survival over El Generico, Arik Cannon, Josh Daniels

B-Boy over Kevin Steen

Homicide over Antonio Banks

2/19 Night

Steve Corino over Roderick Strong

Jay Lethal over Jimmy Rave. Lethal earns shot at later date, but Nana declares date as now.

John Walters over Jay Lethal

Billy Ken Kid over Ebbesan

Alex Shelley over Jimmy Jacobs

Spanky over CM Punk

Maff and Whitmer over Havana Pitbulls

Samoa Joe over Vordell Walker

Samoa Joe over Ebbe-Jack

Homicide over American Dragon (Taped Fist Match)

Austin Aries over Colt Cabana (Cage Match)

Dunn and Marcos win Scramble Cage Melee

2/25

Air Devils (Fast Eddie and Matt Sydal) over Dunn and Marcos. Postmatch, Eddie turns, joins Embassy.

Homicide over Puma

Colt Cabana over Nigel McGuiness

Maff and Whitmer over Jacobs and Delirious

James Gibson over Spanky

Daizee Haze won Four Corner Survival over Allison Danger, Tracy Brooks, and Lacey

CM Punk over Alex Shelley

Samoa Joe/Bryan Danielson over Evans/Aries

Jimmy Rave over AJ Styles (no worries, it wasnt clean)

Confirmed 2/26 matches (that's tonight)

Austin Aries versus Samoa Joe

Bryan Danielson versus Homicide, Falls Count Anywhere

CM Punk versus Jimmy Rave

Alex Shelley versus Jack Evans

Spanky versus Jimmy Jacobs

James Gibson versus Puma

Other attractions include: Great Managerial Debate 2 (Cornette and Heenan), Good Times, Great Memories LIVE in Chicago.

Sooo...yeah. I'm getting the tape of the third show just for the Sliced Bread #2 Vs. Contra Code match. *thumbs up*

I've been talking on the phone to some friends who are at the building in Chicago. I wish I were there watching some of the best wrestlers in the world, instead of being stuck here having to absorb it by proxy through my phone and computer. Grrrr. (Looks like a really good show, too.)

Guest Deadbolt

It sucks I live so near Chicago and can't seem to attend most of these shows, then again right now I can't do much of anything.

But yeah, overall the card seemed fairly well, i'm just sick of the joe hype.

Guest OSIcon
i'm just sick of the joe hype.

Why?

I don't know how anyone can be sick of it after the amazing fourth qaurter of 2004 he had.

Guest Fiscusalicious

2.25 was an amazing show to attend. It was the best overall show I've been to.

The match quality was great, and the interwoven comedy added alot. I also walked away after meeting alot of the guys so it was an awesome night. I wish everyone who was interested in going could have as I sincerely hope the atmosphere carries over to the tape well.

What look to be full results for the Chicago show:

Lacey d. Daizee Haze, Allison Danger & Traci Brooks

Fast Eddie d. Matt Sydal

Dunn & Marcos d. Delirious & Golden Vampire

Alex Shelley d. Jack Evans

Bryan Danielson d. Homicide

Nigel McGuinness/Colt Cabana d. Dan Maff/BJ Whitmer

Spanky d. Jimmy Jacobs

James Gibson d. Puma

Jimmy Rave d. CM Punk

Austin Aries d. Samoa Joe

Guest BrokenWings
I'm not sick of ROH i'm sick of the constant over hyping of Samoa Joe.

We already realise this, OSIcon asked you why you dislike Joe. I hardly see how he's "overhyped", especially after his fourth quarter of 2004, as someone was previously mentioned.

Any initial reports of how Gibson is looking in ROH?

I'd have had Danielson win the taped fist match, and given Homicide the win in the FCA, but that's just me. To me that would have shown that Danielson can brawl with the best in the ring, whereas on the outside Homicide could have proven to have better knowledge of using his surroundings as a key to victory.

Guest JebusNassedar

Honestly, I'd put Aries as their top wrestler, but I'm mad as a goddamned hatter, so my opinion isnt valid.

Joe's good, though. He's got a very smooth combination of old school wrestling and new school "beat the motherfucker half to death" style that was dominant in UWF-i. If you want to rag on his physique, fine, but the best wrestlers (not the best draws) havent had perfect bodies either. Flair, Austin, Bret, Dusty (debatable, I know)... all of them were brilliant wrestlers, but they werent muscularly chisled or anything.

EDIT: Also, I think a lot of credit is given to Joe for how seriously he takes professional wrestling. There are weekend warriors out there, but he's turned it into a full-on career, and not only that, but has drawn a line between business (entertaining) and fun. There haven't been any stories (that I know of) where he took advantage of a kid, or abused someone who didnt take it seriously, or purposefully fucked someone up in the ring. I'm not even sure there's documented proof of him injuring someone. That's something to be commended.

Guest BrokenWings

I'm interested in knowing whom Deadbolt's favourite wrestlers are, seeing his opinion of Joe.

Also, I don't think Joe's look is detrimental in the slightest. In fact, I believe it works to his advantage, as for a man his size to go for over an hour is remarkable. It shows how much effort he's put into conditioning and training.

Going an hour is more of a psychological issue, knowing what your body's limits are and how to pace yourself, than a physical one. Hero and Punk may be able to wrestle each other for seventeen hours straight, but put them out on the court for your average NBA game and they'd have heart attacks.

Samoa Joe is very damn good. He didn't used to be; back in his UPW/Zero-One days I wondered just what the Samoa Joe marks were smoking to consider the big lunk to be talented, but he's gotten a lot better since then. If one is given to naming young wrestlers as "The New insert-veteran-here", I'd call him the new Vader.

But if I had to name just one guy as the best all-around wrestler in ROH, I'd probably go with Danielson too.

Guest OSIcon

I have a tough time ever going against Danielson, but Joe's fourth quarter of 2004 was tremendous. It was head and shoulders above everyone else in the US.

I don't think I'd say that Joe is necesarily a better wrestler than Danielson, but it is really close. Both of them are so good right now and only getting better. Danielson is just starting to really do some brawling and hate-based matches which is just making him more well rounded.

Guest Shadow

My review as posted at the roh board

The crowd was rather good and was easily Dayton's biggest crowd. Reported at 750-800 range.

However, seriously dayton needs to invent it's own "catchphase" because chanting dueling "Let's Go" is dated. How about we just sit there and watch the good **** as opposed to trying to get a chant over.

Of course, there were your idiot fans there trying to put themselfs over.

Me? I just sat there. Enjoyed the show. I dont need to make funny quips or start dumb chants. Im there to be entertained by some of the BEST performers in our favorite industry.

The Merch table was amazingly loaded and the people were amazingly quick to service despite the large flow of traffic.

Each match, even though it's been about 2 hours since it ended and 3-4 hours for the early matches still have a thing or variety of things that stick out.

Opener

RCR Vs Devils.

The opener was fast paced and everything but it was merely there for the somewhat surprising turn. I actually forgot the "new member" announcment **1/4

Homicide Vs Puma

Smokes was very good here and was really showcasing his talents here and Homicide seemed a little bored. The match didn't really stand out. It was my first time seeing Puma. Not that impressed but he really didn't get much offense in. but the match as a whole was about **.

Nigel Vs Colt Cabana

I couldn't do this match justice. Everything was just comic gold here, Maybe the greatest comedy match ever or least lately. FANTASTIC. Worth the $ right there alone. **1/2 for match content but ****1/2 for comedy alone.

Dan Maff and BJ Whitmer Vs Delirious and Jacobs

Not really a match. just a flow of spots. Nothing horrible but hardly worth remembering. **. That was really the throwaway match here. Im still not sure WHY the titles are on Maff/Whitmer.

James Gibson Vs Spanky

James Gibson really seemed at home in that ring with Spanky and his standing o post match was beautiful and he appeared genuinely touched by the crowd's appreciation. I'm sure Gibson will be at the top VERY soon. Gibson debut was a rather good one as he and spanky put on a top notch match, it seemed as if Gibson held back a little, which is expected. He'll be a major name for ROH quick. ***1/2.

I find it interesting during the hype to his debut announcement, he said he wanted MAIN EVENT caliber and yet he got the pre-intermission spot. Ironic. Dont worry, Like I said, he'll be there really soon.

Intermission

Again, excellent work at the tables.

Woman's Corners Match

Why was the woman's match so high? was it because it was first post intermission match and they wanted to keep people in line? lol. Honestly though, Tracy didn't look all that hot. Daizee though...YES. Maybe thats because big breasts arent my deal. But i wasn't there to oogle at the girls. Nothing great was expected here and thats what we got. Nothing great. It was short and fun, while tracy and allison disapeared, Daizee's spunky attitude was rather infectious. Crowd was more into then i had expected. Also shocked by its high placing on the card when i figured the tag match would get this spot due to the complete apathy maff/whitmer's win got. **

Alex Shelly Vs CM PUNK

MOTN and ROH's first MOTYC. CM Punk's new gear left me speechless. I dunno if he lost his shorts in the laundry or baggage claims but keep the shorts PLEASE. the tights are too babyface. keep your edge punk.

A really well worked match here that all in all i will assume is the consensus motn for the majority of the fans here. ****

Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson Vs Austin Aries and Jack Evans

A amazingly well worked combo of comedy and flat out amazing sequences. For those who werent at the show, pay attention to Joe's interaction with the fans, very good here and The shoes was just awesome. I really think the Joe/Dragon Vs Aries/Evans match will be most fondly remembered here of this card in the future. Great mixture of everything. Evans was just a human pretzel tonight and Joe brought the funny. Aries seemed almost non-existant. Still dont see him and think "WORLD CHAMPION". ***3/4. Alot of good spots here.

AJ Styles Vs Jimmy Rave

AJ Styles/Rave. Crowd was good for this one, Nana was at his good stuff here. Cheap finish though, which leads us to the question if AJ comes back or not. The Main Event wasn't brilliant or a marvel and nor was it expected to be. It was a fun match with a somewhat weak finish. AJ Styles missed a couple spots but overall good match. ***.

The Brawl with Punk and Rave was good but what was even better was the stiff parking lot brawl with Homicide and Danielson at the end of the show.

This was the best Dayton show yet and I'm glad to see it's returning May.

Dan Maff and BJ Whitmer Vs Delirious and Jacobs

Not really a match. just a flow of spots. Nothing horrible but hardly worth remembering. **. That was really the throwaway match here. Im still not sure WHY the titles are on Maff/Whitmer.

It did feature one of the greatest false finish sequences I've ever seen, as I was getting ready to jump out of my front row seat for the title change. But yeah, other than that, nothing too special at all.

And Nigel-Cabana = comic genius!

Rave's push isn't pointless...

He can draw very good heat...

He can wrestle in the ring...

He can involve the crowd...

He can do flashy moves...

He plays a great heel...

He has good charisma...

What is so wrong about the push other then he's a great performer?...

My 2nd ever ROH show , WTC being my first, and it was pretty darn good.

Lacey d. Daizee Haze, Allison Danger & Traci Brooks- got there probably about halfway into this. Liked what I saw. Never thought much of Alison Danger before but , IMO, she's improved quite a bit in the last 6 months or so. Daizee's ejection into the front row was cool.

Dunn & Marcos d. Delirious & Golden Vampire- funny stuff. Don't really like RCE much but they're ok. Thought the same thing about them after WTC too.

Alex Shelley d. Jack Evans- I kinda surprisingly liked this. What I've seen of Shelley (mostly IWA) hasn't been a big deal to me but I liked the stuff he did in this match. Evans had some of the weakest looking offense I've seen in a major promotion. The flippy stuff is nice to watch and the dude is flexible as hell but the forearms and such looked like there was no effort behind them at all.

Bryan Danielson d. Homicide- couldn't see very much of once it went into the crowd so kinda hard to say anything about it. Homicide looks a lot more badass with no hair though.

Nigel McGuinness/Colt Cabana d. Dan Maff/BJ Whitmer- the buildup with Heenan, Cornette and Cabana was great and I really liked the match.

Spanky d. Jimmy Jacobs- I'm not sure why but I don't like Spanky much and this didn't really do anything to change my opinion. Decent match, I suppose but nothing particularly memorable.

James Gibson d. Puma- liked it fine. The crowd kinda seemed to poop on it more than anything else that night.

Jimmy Rave d. CM Punk- a lot of the ROH board seems to hate Rave in the X Pac kinda way. The couple times I've seen him live he had this good match and the match with Styles at TPI. I like the guy fine and he had huge heat in Chicago. Even got a "bullshit" chant after he choked out Punk for the first "win". Then the restart, everyone thought Punk would beat him and then they got swerved again. The cheating methods were like old school 80's NWA.

Austin Aries d. Samoa Joe - seemed to go a little shorter than I expected but was a good match. Liked the finish a lot.

I had debated on going to this show because I had taken pics at the GCW the night before in St Louis and, through circumstances, hadn't had any sleep as of 5:30 AM Saturday morning. So I sat in a Wal Mart parking lot debating if I should drive 5 or so hours to Chicago or go home and go to bed. Chicago won. Got 2 hours of sleep in a rest area, had a hell of a time finding the building, had to not pay at a toll on the 294 cause I didn't have anymore change, and it was pretty damn cold walking into the building from a 1/2 mile away...and it was well worth it.

Rave's push isn't pointless...

He can draw very good heat...

He can wrestle in the ring...

He can involve the crowd...

He can do flashy moves...

He plays a great heel...

He has good charisma...

What is so wrong about the push other then he's a great performer?...

Because he's never going to be good enough to reach main event level in RoH, so putting him over Punk and Styles is just a waste of everyones time.

He's ok in the ring, and the Embassy gimmick is really good for him, but his move set isn't particularly flashy by indie standards and I've never seen him play to the crowd, unless you count stealing the Styles Clash.