TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Xbox 2 specs

The Guts of the Next Box

CPU - Xenon's CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

GPU - Xenon's GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.

System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.

Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon's hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.

Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/594331p1.html

Sounds like a hell of a machine. I just hope that the version with the hard drive isn't too ridiculously expensive. Also, the camera features are pretty nice.

I'm still disappointed that they're releasing the system after the Xbox has only been out for 4 years (at the time of the new system's release that is) especially since I just purchased my Xbox in November 2004. However, I will buy the new system at launch if there are at least 3 high quality launch titles, preferably a good 1 player action or adventure game, a sports game, and a fighting game, along with Xbox Live support. A good RPG would be nice as well.

Backward compatibility, especially for Live enabled games, would be wonderful.

About the backwards compatibility, don't count on it. From the looks of the specs for all the new gen systems, I doubt any of them can squeeze the space to have the backwards compabitility. Love to be proven wrong, but I don't think any of them will be.

I am just afraid of the day that the retail price is released. I only own a PS2, but was never opposed to getting an Xbox, I just never did due to the lack of time I have for gaming now, however I won't buy another console until the next-gen consoles are released, but I just dunno if I am prepared to pay over $500 for a video game machine and over $50 for games, sure they can do other things and stuff, but I just don't care, to me they are for playing video games, and I don't like the idea of having to pay the price I would pay for a brand new computer, fully loaded.

I suspect this is all subject to change or probably doesn't reveal much. It would be stupid to put out a lot of info on your system when the PS3 and Revolution are apparently still vaporware.

About the backwards compatibility, don't count on it. From the looks of the specs for all the new gen systems, I doubt any of them can squeeze the space to have the backwards compabitility. Love to be proven wrong, but I don't think any of them will be.

Hasn't Sony already stated that their next machine will have backwards capability, like the Playstation 2? I'm positive I've read that several times before somewhere.

I just want to know if it's going to be a big hulking monster like the first Box.

Hasn't Sony already stated that their next machine will have backwards capability, like the Playstation 2? I'm positive I've read that several times before somewhere.

If they have, that's news to me. From what I remember of it, they might, but its still up in the air.

Although, if they do, count me in. ^_^

I wonder how it will compatible with non HD TVs since its going to be outputting everything in 720p at a minimum. Im guessing all the games will end up letterboxed on non HD tvs. Thats not going to sit well with joe average consumer who still doesnt have a HD TV and buys Fullscreen DVDs because it fills up his whole screen. I can just see this now:

JAC: I just bought this game, and I must have bought the widescreen version by mistake because I got the black bars on the top and bottom. I want to exchange it for the full screen version.

Storeperson: Uh..what the hell are you talking about. Its a game, not a movie..there arent different versions..

Lord willing, by the time the Xbox 2 and PS3 are released to the North American market, I will be gainfully employed, and thus I shall be able to purchase them both. Ideally.

Provided my massive loan payments don't cripple my finances.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I hope X-Box 2 is even bigger than the original for some reason. I want something that I can successfully kill a grown man with if I have too.

I hope X-Box 2 is even bigger than the original for some reason. I want something that I can successfully kill a grown man with if I have too.

And detract people from attempting to steal it in fear of herniating discs attempting to lift it.

I'll give the good ol' 6 month stature on the next-gens before even thinking of getting one. I gotta see if the game library pans out before selling a kidney to buy one.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, a few things not included in Ced's original post for those of us not wanting to click on links-

Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Microsoft is requiring developers to make all Xenon titles Live enabled. One of the key reasons for this will be revealed in the second part of this story.

Developers are being instructed to plan their games for high-definition. The baseline is 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video clips, 16:9 aspect ratio, 5.1 Surround Sound, and anti-aliasing. These features are the current minimum requirement.

All Xenon games can be played using custom soundtracks. Owners can also play their own music directly. Supported formats are MP3 and WMA. Files can be encoded up to 320Kbps CBR or VBR stereo. The system is branded a Music Player Service.

For gameplay movies, Xenon uses Xenon Motion Video (XMV). XMV is based on Windows Media 9 and uses the mandatory codec for HD-DVD. The goal for video is 720p running at 30 frames per second with 5.1 Surround Sound.

The camera thing sounds like a neat little gadget, but I fear including bullshit like that while making the HD optional is kind of retarded. Also, making EVERY SINGLE game Live? Some games just weren't meant to be multiplayer, although maybe this is to include the ever-elusive "Live Aware" feature on those games that are meant to be single-player. This probably will drive off some third party developers from wanting to platform it onto the system as well, I think. The Live improvements seem pretty cool, although gimmicky-

Microsoft Supports Profiling

Whether the games are single player or multiplayer, all Xenon titles tie into a new gamer profile feature. Think of it as a universal profile for each gamer that uses the system; the gamer profiles are the player's single identity across all Xenon games. Similar to how a single Windows XP machine can be set up for multiple users, each Xenon system will house profiles for every gamer it serves. This feature is fantastic for households with multiple gamers, since each player's settings can be saved in his or her profile and selected when the system boots.

The system is very flexible. You're able to choose universal settings while making exceptions for individual games. You can set your profile to automatically set inverted controls and yellow uniforms if that's your preference, but if for some reason you prefer to play Splinter Cell with a standard look and orange uniforms you can change the setting for just that title.

The settings are available online and offline. System settings can be brought up in every Xenon title. The profile is also where you make your privacy and opt-in selections.

The profile also records achievements and something dubbed "Gamer Cred." Achievements are game-specific tasks, such as beating a certain boss or completing a level in a certain amount of time. Achievements can be awarded online and offline; the baseline is for every game to award at least five achievements. Gamer Cred is how much you're awarded for each achievement. The more games you play and the better you do, the more Gamer Cred you'll earn. Microsoft's is suggesting that developers award at least 1000 Gamer Cred points per title.

Parents will be pleased to learn that the profile system includes extensive parental controls and privileges. The system lets parents decide what games their kids are allowed to play, as well as if their children are allowed to share their profile and chat with other players. Software controls allow parents to select multiplayer restrictions.

Last, but not least, is the "Gamer Card." Think of it as an at-a-glance gamer profile. The Gamer Card allows other online players to quickly see another's Gamertag, title, Gamer Creds, reputation rating, gamer zone, country, and title. It's a virtual membership card that helps gamers find people to play with. If you think you've found a match then you can select the Gamer Card to view that player's full profile to make sure.

It will be easier than ever for players to communicate with others on Xenon. Players no longer need to create custom message centers for each game. The message center manages player-to-player messages, friend invites, game invites, open P2P messaging, service-to-player messages, and title-to-player messages. Players can also communicate via voice and video chat.

All online multiplayer games are required to have social and ranked matches. Social matches rely on affiliate list tracking. Each player can be in contact with 1500 others, including friends, recent players, and preferred players.

Downloads will be managed from a central system user interface. They will appear as offers to the player in a download marketplace. Free and premium downloads will be supported. Developers will be able to send players to the marketplace and notify them when new content is available.

As I mentioned when I was discussing the Gamer Card, other players can see your various profile stats quickly. One of the most pertinent stats to Live is player reputation. Players will be able to grade, compliment, and complain about other players. Reviews are tied to a player's own experience as well. It's unclear how the whole system will be policed. It's a great feature, but one that can be taken advantage of and seems difficult to arbitrate. The complaint system is managed by Microsoft customer service.

Parental control features are useless on this thing. I doubt there's a great need for it, as many parents probably wouldn't know the first thing about how to go about setting it up (not to mention the kids who could probably figure out a way around it anyways).

I just want to know if it's going to be a big hulking monster like the first Box.

I hope it is. That's what I like about it.

Someone want to put all this techno-babble into common man's terms? Like "good," "really good," "kickass," something?

Guest MikeSC
Sounds like a hell of a machine. I just hope that the version with the hard drive isn't too ridiculously expensive. Also, the camera features are pretty nice.

I'm still disappointed that they're releasing the system after the Xbox has only been out for 4 years (at the time of the new system's release that is) especially since I just purchased my Xbox in November 2004. However, I will buy the new system at launch if there are at least 3 high quality launch titles, preferably a good 1 player action or adventure game, a sports game, and a fighting game, along with Xbox Live support. A good RPG would be nice as well.

Backward compatibility, especially for Live enabled games, would be wonderful.

I'm just annoyed that they seem to be cutting back on X-Box new released as the system seems to finally be making some serious inroads.

-=Mike

"Parental control features are useless on this thing. I doubt there's a great need for it, as many parents probably wouldn't know the first thing about how to go about setting it up (not to mention the kids who could probably figure out a way around it anyways)."

Parental controls = electronic child-proof caps.

Guest Flyboy
How anyone can spend $550 on a new system and a game is beyond me.

Is that really the price range speculated for the new gaming systems? Sweet fucking Jesus.

Well, Four hundred for the system, plus tax and all, plus a game, since it won't come with one.

Thats gotta be at LEAST 500. Add to that another controller if you have any friends at all, and that's at least 550. Won't it NOT have a HD? Then thirty for a memory card.

Guest Vitamin X

The HD will be optional, but I don't see why you'd buy one without it. "Hmm, $50 for a bigger better hard drive than the first one, or $30 for a shitty memory card with limited space.."

Am I alone in thinking that its just too damn soon to be coming out with the next system. Most X-Box games have yet to take advantage of the system's capabilities as it is. I can understand wanteding to beat PS3 to the market, but I'm not sure the world is ready for this thing yet.

Guest Vitamin X
My PS2 collects dust as of right now.

Yes, but are you playing it or not?

Am I alone in thinking that its just too damn soon to be coming out with the next system. Most X-Box games have yet to take advantage of the system's capabilities as it is. I can understand wanteding to beat PS3 to the market, but I'm not sure the world is ready for this thing yet.

No, I totally agree. The first Xbox is just starting to get popular with people in the past year or so, and they really should hold off on coming out with the next system for at least another couple years or so. Build up the anticipation and all. Right now, Microsoft's competition hardware-wise is Nintendo, so they should come out with their system before the Revolution does, since it's rumored they'll be using similar hardware. Both systems wallop the PS2 in that area though, but they should really focus on developing a few great games first.

I also find it a bit funny how a Conker game seems to be released for a system JUST BEFORE a next-gen system is coming out again...

My PS2 collects dust as of right now. I'm afraid of my X-Box 2 or PS3 doing that if i get them.

I'll buy it for $20.

But the shipping for an X-Box would probably be 100 bucks. ;)

its been what, almost four years since the PS2 came out, and a little more than three for the x-box... it does seem a little soon, but five years seems to be the proper windows nowadays.... the PS1 came out in 1995, right? And around what, 1998, news leaked out about the PS2... seems like the curve is accelerating... and it seems that a wall has been hit as far as pushing the PS2 to its limit, though not many gaming developers have actually done that.