TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Judge Says California Can't Ban Gay Marriage

SAN FRANCISCO - A judge ruled Monday that California's ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional, saying the state could no longer justify limiting marriage to a man and a woman.

In the eagerly awaited opinion likely to be appealed to the state's highest court, San Francisco County Superior Court Judge Richard Kramer said that withholding marriage licenses from gays and lesbians is unconstitutional.

"It appears that no rational purpose exists for limiting marriage in this state to opposite-sex partners," Kramer wrote.

The judge wrote that the state's historical definition of marriage, by itself, cannot justify the denial of equal protection for gays and lesbians.

"The state's protracted denial of equal protection cannot be justified simply because such constitutional violation has become traditional," Kramer wrote.

Kramer ruled in lawsuits brought by the city of San Francisco and a dozen same-sex couples last March. The suits were brought after the California Supreme Court halted a four-week marriage spree that Mayor Gavin Newsom had initiated in February 2004 when he directed city officials to issue marriage licenses to gays and lesbians in defiance of state law.

The plaintiffs said withholding marriage licenses from gays and lesbians trespasses on the civil rights all citizens are guaranteed under the California Constitution.

Two legal groups representing religious conservatives joined with California Attorney General Bill Lockyer in defending the existing laws and had vowed to appeal if Kramer did not rule in their favor.

Lockyer's office has said it expects the matter eventually will have to be settled by the California Supreme Court.

A pair of bills pending before the California Legislature would put a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage on the November ballot. If California voters approve such an amendment, as those in 13 other states did last year, that would put the issue out of the control of lawmakers and the courts.

I don't know if this is any more significant than other similar rulings that have been made, but I thought it was interesting. Thoughts, anyone?

I figure this won't stand long... Something tells me this one will get fast-tracked to the Ninth Circuit, upheld, then overturned by the US Supreme Court, most likely by a technicality because they're a bunch of pussies these days.

Guest thebigjig
It's a shame that guy in Atlanta didn't live in California...

I love ya man, but when INXS says shit that's not NEARLY as offensive, he gets blasted by practically everyone on the board...

that comment was way, way over the line

Guest TheDon

Pretty funny that Internet Losers like you can get married in this country yet two gay guys who are by far better people than you cant.

I love ya man, but when INXS says shit that's not NEARLY as offensive, he gets blasted by practically everyone on the board...

that comment was way, way over the line

kkk isn't being serious. INXS is.

My blood started pumping until I saw who posted it.

I realize that it's kkk's gimmick to say things that will get a rise out of people without really meaning it. Still, it's true that if it was said, even in jest, by someone like C-Bacon or INXS, there would be a public burning at the stake going on here.

My blood started pumping until I saw who posted it.

I realize that it's kkk's gimmick to say things that will get a rise out of people without really meaning it. Still, it's true that if it was said, even in jest, by someone like C-Bacon or INXS, there would be a public burning at the stake going on here.

Gentlemen, I thought of two words when I read KKK's post, and those two words were: "Failed Mascot".

My blood ran cold. I said a prayer for KKK.

You want me to be honest? I made the EXACT same joke to a friend of mine earlier today, when I read the news on the net during class.

And I have to agree with Kahran. The difference between KKK and C-Bacon / INXS is that KKK just likes SHOCK~! humor. C-Bacon says absurd / offensive shit because he means it. INXS says it because he's a moron.

All I'll say is that a lot of the people bitching about KKK tend to be the same ones upset when Failed Mascot got booted for making similar comments a few months back.

Guest MikeSC

I don't get it

Nor do I.

-=Mike

...Not getting the joke since 11:45 this evening...

I don't get it

Nor do I.

-=Mike

the judge sucks.

Oh, I said from my very first post that I let it slide because it's kkk, and it's his bit to say things like that.

I'm not saying he should be kicked, I was just saying that if anyone else said it, they'd be dead, because it exactly is his reputation for saying such off-color remarks as a gag that lets him get away unsinged. That's a first. Usually, the things he says would sound stupid coming out of the mouth of someone else, but not over-the-line offensive.

Me too!

It's hard to imagine KKK just being your average white guy when you see the UNFAIRLY CONVICTED MARTYR Mumia in every one of his posts.

Guest Vitamin X
All I'll say is that a lot of the people bitching about KKK tend to be the same ones upset when Failed Mascot got booted for making similar comments a few months back.

Shut the hell up teke "You guys ruined my birthday thread I'm banning you" 184.

Anyways, back on topic, it's good to see that California of all places isn't going to uphold the gay marriage ban, and that it was recognized as unconstitutional. Obviously this is going to get appealed, so the battle will start again, but if there's any couple states that should allow it, it should be California, New York, Massachusetts and Florida considering the concentration of homosexuals in those states.

Guest CronoT

I don't get it

Nor do I.

-=Mike

The non-joke is that the black guy who caused Atlanta to come to a standstill because of his manhunt started it, because he killed three people, one of which was a judge.

Guest MikeSC

I don't get it

Nor do I.

-=Mike

The non-joke is that the black guy who caused Atlanta to come to a standstill because of his manhunt started it, because he killed three people, one of which was a judge.

Well, not kkk's best work, to say the least.

-=Mike

Let's start a birthday thread! I have met so many totally awesome gay people that want to get married, I think we could have a space here. Godspeed you crazy fags!

2 people complained...and neither called for bannings.

2 people complained...and neither called for bannings.

Quoted for emphasis.

If this was a story on the white house about a policy GWB initiated, or something similar, and INXS said "Too bad the guy in Atlanta doesn't live in Washington", I can't imagine the shit storm.

But it's just a joke really. Might make him come off as an asshole, but it's not like anything he's saying will affect anyone on the forum.

Guys defending the WWE is a lot more offensive in my eyes, and also makes me worry about how they act outside of these boards.

Well, not kkk's best work, to say the least.

Seconded

KKK, you better step up production or I'm outsourcing all your jokes to southern Asia