Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Can you drive a stick?

holla  

70 members have voted

1. 1. holla

• Yes.
    • No.

My new car is shiftronic which is apparently manual for dummies. I can touch it up one way or the other to change gears, but it won't let me do anything stupid.

I just keep it in automatic.

I can, though I haven't for like 7 years so I would be sorta sketchy at first.

Nothing that a couple hours of late night driving with no traffic couldn't cure.

Nope.

My dad has a CR-V and it is sooooooo hard to learn how to drive it. The catch on the damn this is so small. So I gave up after about an hour of trying.

Guest Smues

I can't drive a stick. When my dad taught me to drive he said I should learn automatic first and then stick would be easy, which of course was completely wrong. Had I started with stick I'd be fine, but I started with automatic so I'm stuck with it.

Yes, and I love it

I don't know if I'll ever drive an automatic again (first car was manual, second was auto, third/current is manual)

It's not too bad, my first car was a stick. What really bites is when you're stopped at a red light on a steep incline and some douche behind you pulls up within inches of your bumper...

totally agree with you there

it's especially bad where I live, because no one seems to have any common sense while behind the wheel

my car is a stick shift, I personally think everyone should drive one because it makes a person think a lot more while driving

(except on some vehicles, as I've heard it can be a real pain on trucks)

Nope. Living in California, home to an countless number of driving douchebags, I don't need yet another thing to think about on the road.

I have, and manual is still better because I have more control over which gear to use

It's also handy for downshift-braking

So far, I've only used the car for going to and from work, but I ventured the 6.5 miles to my gf's place last night. The trip itself was fine, but her apartment complex rests on this slight hill, the incline for which has speed bumps and a fucking gate with a security guard. I didn't stall out, but man, I really did a number on my clutch.

Guest Vitamin X
Yes, and I love it)

Because you're in Kansas, which is flatter than Paris Hilton.

Try driving in a hilly area...

I drove my Tracker (a stick-shift with a short shift, mind you, which is a pain in the ass moreso than other cars considering how often you have to be switching gears) for about 2 out of the 3 years I've had the damn thing out in California. The Hollywood area was especially a pain in the ass on a busy night.

I'd like to. Just in case it came down to it and I had to drive for someone.

If you really had to you probably could, you'd just be grinding gears like a motherfucker.

Most people know how to do it, they just can't do it. Me for example.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I can, but I'm extraordinarily bad at it. I can ride a bike but haven't done so in over a decade.