TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Guardian

School shooting in Minnesota

From CBS: At least 18 people shot, at least 6 of those killed including perhaps the shooter by suicide (reports conflict on this point) in Red Lake High School on an Indian reservation in northern Minnesota. My God.

Edited by Celtic Guardian

Here we go again.

Then again, no special report has interupted THE SIMPSONS re-run so no white kids must have been shot.

We can all breathe easily.

Seriously, why hasn't the news did their special report interuption already?? I mean what the hell?

Guest Salacious Crumb

Not juicey enough probably. CNN.com doesn't have it and it's down a bit on the Yahoo list. Only FoxNews had it in the top couple of stories.

Not juicey enough probably. CNN.com doesn't have it and it's down a bit on the Yahoo list. Only FoxNews had it in the top couple of stories.

14 people being shot isn't juicy?

You can bet if this was 2 white kids in a rich upper class high school we'd have about 1000 stories on it already. But it's on an Indian Reservation so that means it's not important.

God damn the media is racist.

Shouldn't the shooter have scalped the victims instead?

Not that I'm picking on you or anything, but generally I would like to think that those that make racist jokes or comments have an understanding of other races. You know, like they make the culture a bit of themselves, something like that? I only say this because when come off as whitey mcwhiterson.

EDIT: Just wanted to take out something where I accidentally put in that you're a racist, which I am fairly certain that you aren't. Just that something like this is offensive especially right after the event happens, and comes off pretty ignorant.

I guess Marylin Manson, Slipknot and Quentin Tarrintino films are what cause this kid to do these shootings.

Don't forget GTA.

8 Dead In High School Rampage

March 21, 2005

A rampage by a Minnesota high school student has left eight people dead, and at least 14 wounded.

An FBI spokesman said at least eight people have died after a high school opened fire at high school. Dead are the shooter, three other students; a female high school teacher; a security guard; and two adults off-campus, believed to be the shooter's grandparents.

Tom Lyons, chief deputy for Beltrami County, said up to 14 people were injured in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School in far northern Minnesota.

The FBI did not say how many people had been killed and also declined to release details.

Red Lake High School, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, has about 300 students, according to its Web site.

Roman Stately, a local fire department director, told CBS News Anchor Bob Schieffer the shooter was a student, and that he may have killed his grandparents before coming to school with "several weapons."

Audrey Thayer, who lives in Bemidji and works as a researcher for the American Civil Liberties Union's Minnesota chapter, said the reservation was locked down by police with roadblocks.

"They have got it closed off," she said.

The reservation is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities. It is home to the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians.

credit: cbsnews.com

Multiple injuries at school shooting

RED LAKE, Minnesota (AP) -- As many as 14 people were injured and some reported killed in a shooting Monday at a Minnesota high school, authorities said.

Tom Lyons, chief deputy for Beltrami County, said up to 14 people were injured in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School in far northern Minnesota. Lyons said a suspect was in custody, but he had no other details.

The FBI did not say how many people had been killed and also declined to release details.

Red Lake High School, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, has about 300 students, according to its Web site.

Audrey Thayer, who lives in Bemidji and works as a researcher for the American Civil Liberties Union's Minnesota chapter, said the reservation was locked down by police with roadblocks.

"They have got it closed off," she said.

The reservation is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities. It is home to the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians.

credit: cnn.com

Edited by RobotJerk

CNN finally got around to acknowledging the fatalities.

Official: Student kills 5 at school and grandparents

Shooter also believed dead at Minnesota high school

(CNN) -- A student killed his grandparents before going on a shooting rampage, killing five and wounding as many as 12 at his northern Minnesota high school Monday, a fire official said.

Killed at Red Lake High School were four students, a teacher and a security guard, said Roman Stately, with the Red Lake Fire Department. The shooter is believed to be among the four dead.

"Apparently, he walked down the hallway shooting and then he entered a classroom, he shot several students and a teacher, then himself," said Stately, who arrived at the high school moments after the shots rang out.

Authorities discovered an hour later that the boy had shot and killed his grandparents, taking the service weapon of his grandfather, a policeman, Stately told KARE-TV.

"Everything is shut down," said Chief Deputy Tom Lyons of the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office.

The shootings occurred about 3 p.m. (4 p.m. ET), in Red Lake High School, a school of 300 student that is on a sovereign Indian reservation within Beltrami County, about 25 miles north of Bemidji, a town of about 25,000 residents, many of them Ojibway Indians, he said.

The school is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities, near the Canadian border.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/21/school.shooting/index.html

Guest Salacious Crumb

What's with CBS? They seem to be inflating the numbers compared to the other news sites.

Guest thebigjig

Maybe I'm too much of a "bleeding heart", but I find the jokes about this absolutely fucking disgusting.

Kids were murdered you stupid fucks...

Did you assholes make joking comments in the waking minutes after the Columbine story broke?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/21/school.shooting/index.html

Officials: Student kills 5 at school and grandparents

Shooter also believed dead at Minnesota high school

Monday, March 21, 2005 Posted: 7:56 PM EST (0056 GMT)

FBI special agent Paul McCabe answers reporters' questions about Monday's school shooting.

(CNN) -- A student on Monday killed two of his grandparents, then went on a shooting rampage at his Minnesota high school, killing five people and wounding as many as 15 others before killing himself, officials said.

FBI Special Agent Paul McCabe told reporters the dead include a female teacher, a male security officer and four Red Lake High School students.

"We believe that one of those students is the shooter," McCabe said.

The school was evacuated and locked down, he said.

"At this time, we believe he was acting alone," McCabe said. He would not comment on a possible motive, saying, "It's far too early in the investigation."

The slain students were shot in one room, he said, adding that 14 to 15 other students were wounded.

"Apparently, he walked down the hallway shooting and then he entered a classroom, he shot several students and a teacher, then himself," said Roman Stately, with the Red Lake Fire Department, who arrived at the high school moments after the shootings.

Authorities discovered about an hour later that the boy had shot and killed his grandmother and grandfather, a veteran of the police force, Stately told KARE-TV.

Stately said the boy used his grandfather's police-issued weapon in the school rampage.

The shootings occurred about 3 p.m. (4 p.m. ET), in Red Lake High School, a school of 300 student that is on a sovereign Indian reservation within Beltrami County, about 25 miles north of Bemidji, a town of about 25,000 residents, many of them Ojibway Indians, he said.

The school is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities, near the Canadian border.

If there were eight deaths, would that be more than the Columbine shooting?

They killed 13, but there were two of them. So more than half from one kid is something.

I did make jokes about Columbine almost immediately, by the way.

Not juicey enough probably.  CNN.com doesn't have it and it's down a bit on the Yahoo list.  Only FoxNews had it in the top couple of stories.

You can bet if this was 2 white kids in a rich upper class high school we'd have about 1000 stories on it already. But it's on an Indian Reservation so that means it's not important.

It could just be the fact that the shooting occurred in a relatively isolated and now locked down location, well away from where any major news media reporters would have been stationed. Without the pictures, it's very hard for television outlets in particular to deal with the story.

What's with CBS? They seem to be inflating the numbers compared to the other news sites.

CBS just didn't break it down for us the way CNN did.

1 shooter+2 grandparents+5 others = 8 dead.

Not juicey enough probably.  CNN.com doesn't have it and it's down a bit on the Yahoo list.  Only FoxNews had it in the top couple of stories.

It could just be the fact that the shooting occurred in a relatively isolated and now locked down location, well away from where any major news media reporters would have been stationed. Without the pictures, it's very hard for television outlets in particular to deal with the story.

Trust me, if this was a school of white kids...the media would have been there in five seconds and stood outside the town like it was OUTBREAK.

I speak from knowledge, the media might be the most racist group of people you will ever meet in your life. They may not be racist people per say, but they are definately selective on the people they care about.

Shouldn't the shooter have scalped the victims instead?

Not that I'm picking on you or anything, but generally I would like to think that those that make racist jokes or comments have an understanding of other races. You know, like they make the culture a bit of themselves, something like that? I only say this because when come off as whitey mcwhiterson.

EDIT: Just wanted to take out something where I accidentally put in that you're a racist, which I am fairly certain that you aren't. Just that something like this is offensive especially right after the event happens, and comes off pretty ignorant.

Hey, I laughed at the joke.

Sometimes we need a little humor in these trying times.

And just so you don't get all upset with me, I'm actually part Native American, so I suppose it makes it "okay" for me to chuckle at his joke.

That's a good point -- why did he have to off himself? Kill a bunch of people, then go live in a detention center with cable TV, free healthcare and three square meals a day.

Did you assholes make joking comments in the waking minutes after the Columbine story broke?

Sadly, TSM wasn't around back then, so the answer is no. I had to wait a few hours until the better half came home from school before I said something inappropriate...

Guest adam_bomb

Well if youre dumb enough to have a country where you have a right to carry arms, these things are going to happen