TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

So how was wrestlemania

I thought last night was the worst WrestleMania I have ever seen.

I was live at 15 and enjoyed it very much more.

WrestleMania 9 was also eons better.

WM 1, 2, 4, and 5, while not scientific classics, used what workers they had to their potential.

WRESTLEMANIA 21 is the worst WM of all time.

Rey/Eddie - Rey fixes mask all match, BLOWN SPOTS, and pretty boring.

Show/Akebono - Awful

Trish/Christy - Awful, embarassing, Blown Spots.

Cena/JBL - What the FUCK was this? 10 month title reign only to job to Cena after Cena hits 2 offensive moves? Right.

Batista/HHH - HHH dominates with slow plodding offense for 10 minutes. Batista hits a ridiculous non-contact ringpost slingshot. Match over. Terrible.

Michaels/Angle - Pretty good, but the ringpost Angle Slam missed horribly, yet they replayed it 3 times. Glad the right guy went over.

6-Way Ladder Match - Match of the night, but wasn't classic or anything. Jeez, during the replay video they didnt even show the coolest spot, Benjamin's running up the diagonal ladder.

Orton/Taker - Much better than expected, but predictable.

Just my opinion. My friends and I were bored to tears during this. Worst WrestleMania I have ever seen.

Oh, yes, since everyone is throwing stars around...

Rey/Eddie - **

Trish/Christy - 1/2 *

Show/Akebono -N/A

Money in the Bank - ***

Michaels/Angle - *** 1/2

Orton/Taker - ** 1/2

Batista/HHH - * 1/4

Cena/JBL - * 1/2

Guest Coffey

Actually, my ratings were pretty close to his. So, at least I know someone else saw what I saw. I did have Batista/HHH being higher than Guerrero/Mysterio though. Blown spots KILL matches for me.

But then again, I'm probably not a real wrestling fan, right?

That seems to be the general consensus. Apparently WWE & Wrestlemania XXI are like the USA. You either love it or leave it.

Given the way ratings have declined in the last few years, many ARE choosing the "leave it" option.

what was up with all those blown spots? must be in the water

Well, you KNOW Christy was only hired to blow things. ;)

Guest Shadow

So we all agree Rey's mask and Batista's self-protrait were the fashion mistakes of WMXI?

Eddie Guerrero v Rey Mysterio

This was a really strong opener, and it had a lot of great spots. With both men talking about their match back at Halloween Havoc in the run-up to this encounter, it was no surprise to see a lot of the spots from that match repeated here, with most of them getting tweaked a little. The near falls were great, and were believable. I don’t know that I agree with the finish, both because it was the opener and the crowd was hot for Eddie, and it seemed the time was right to give Eddie a big win. In a lot of ways this opener was perfect. While not being the tremendous match that some had predicted, it was still strong enough that it started things on a really high note, but it also didn’t set the bar so high as to make it impossible to follow. ***3/4

Chris Jericho v Chris Benoit v Christian v Shelton Benjamin v Edge v Kane – Money In The Bank Ladder Match

This was a pure stuntfest, with about the only thing resembling psychology being the timing of one wrestler stopping another from when they were about to win. That said, it was a great stuntfest, with almost all of the stunts, smartly, being hard hitting rather than high risk. It was as long as it needed to be, and unlike a lot of these things it didn’t outstay its welcome. The star of the match, at least for most of the crowd, appeared to be Shelton Benjamin, and he pulled off the majority of the most memorable stunts here, with my favorite being his climbing up the ladder to clothesline Edge down, which required precision footing. Edge winning makes sense, because Christian isn’t credible as a World title challenger, Benoit, Jericho and Kane don’t really need the win, and Benjamin wasn’t ready for it thanks to some really terrible booking over the last month or so. With what Lawler and Ross said after the win, about Edge taking the title shot at any time, “maybe even tomorrow”, it seemed a subtle hint that Edge might take his shot tonight. ****

Eugene/Hassan/Hogan

I’ll just transcribe exactly what I wrote down on my notepad when I heard Hogan’s music hit:

Goodbye money.

Bye Bye $$$

I should also say that the throat slitting gesture from Hassan as he applies the camel clutch really has to go. It’s in beyond terrible taste, and crosses the line, even for wrestling.

Undertaker v Randy Orton

This one was like Undertaker v Triple H at WM X7, in that it was far better than almost anyone expected. Sure, it wasn’t great, but it was a very solid match, with both guys having their working shoes on. Randy Orton’s shoulder injury didn’t play a factor into the match, so there is still no obvious indication of how Orton will be written out while has his surgery. There were some good spots in here, with my favorite being the chokeslam countered into the RKO. The near fall off that, as well as the near fall after Bob Orton used his cast, which wasn’t the original unless someone stole it from Jim Cornette, kept Orton relatively strong in defeat, so he didn’t lose too much steam out of losing. Not only that, but Cole and Tazz did a shockingly good job of putting Orton over as coming very close to having the win, so I don’t think the loss buried Orton as much as people thought it would going in. Orton was probably kept as strong as he could be while losing. ***1/4

Christy Hemme v Trish Stratus

This was short, better than I thought it would be, but still bad, with the highlights being Trish very loudly talking Hemme trough the match1/2*

Shawn Michaels v Kurt Angle

The crowd was really into this, but more from a spectacle standpoint than a classic match standpoint. There were numerous chants of one kind or another throughout this match, with most of the ones about either Kurt or Shawn being decidedly pro-Kurt. In fact, Kurt wasn’t booed a great deal here, while Shawn did get some strong boos here and there. The familiar “You Screwed Bret”, chant was heard, which I think that was more down to the crowd wanting to be part of the show and getting on Shawn’s back just for the heck of it, rather than being malicious or anything like that. The match was your typical WWE-style affair when two top guys are involved, but it was still really great stuff. There were some negatives, three of which were the announcers selling Shawn’s back being rammed into the ringpost, when replays showed his back never came close to getting hit, Shawn’s moonsault onto Angle when he was on the Smackdown announce table being way too contrived, and Shawn kicking out of way too many big finishes at the end. The match got very dramatic in the closing stages, with the crowd getting crazy into it, and it was very clear that they absolutely didn’t want Shawn to win. The finish was a little drawn out, and I think the ankle lock was all but killed off as a serious hold, because Shawn took far too long to tap out, even if he was supposed to be showing fighting spirit. ****3/4. That’s **** for the match, * for the finish. And -1/4* for killing the ankle lock.

Piper’s Pit with Steve Austin

It was ok, and moderately entertaining, but nothing you’d remember the next day.

Akebono v Big Show

And the point of this was…..?

John Bradshaw Leyfield v John Cena

This wasn’t a bad match, but it wasn’t good either. It was just ‘there’. This was at the level of a midcard television match, and was totally underwhelming. I know why they kept it short, but unless the nature of the characters involved, like a monster who the people don’t want to see in long matches, allows for short matches, a 12 minute match for a supposed major title just makes the title look midcard. Well, the Smackdown title is a midcard title, but they don’t need to make it that obvious.**

Triple H v Batista

I was very scared going into this match, as the show had almost 30 minutes left to it, and there is no way Batista should go anywhere close to 30 minutes. As it is, they ‘only’ went 22 minutes, which was at least seven minutes too long. As a stand alone match, with any two other wrestlers, this would have been pretty good. However, for Hunter v Batista, it was the wrong match. It went too long, Batista sold too much and too soon, and Hunter dominated far too much. He also played babyface in some spots, particularly when he didn’t even fall down from the ringpost shot that he bladed off of. Batista getting the clean win definitely helps him, and he for sure got a boost off of it, but I think his showing in this match, in that he wasn’t enough of a monster, may have hurt him just a little. **1/2.

I liked Reys mask. reminded me of bash at the beach 96 vs pyschosis, where Heenan got in a line saying rey with the bald head looked like Demi Moore (she was filiming gi jane then)

Of course a 9 year old pop culture reference on paper is a bad idea, remember that wm 21 featured Hulk, Piper, and Bob Orton Jr.

I think some people that are blowing their load for the sloppy, rest-hold filled, yet not awful "big" matches just aren't used to the quality of matches we saw earlier in this decade.

You can't give Angle/HBK fucking four stars because "we all wanted to see it".

Hell, Jannetty/Angle did more for me then Shawn/Angle did, and I think, as crazy as that sounds, youll see what I mean say, a year from now when the "WM dream match feel" wears off.

Eddie/Rey have had about 5 matches in WWE ALONE against each other that I can think of that were much better than their sloppy, going-through the motions, botched up opener.

Orton/Taker, good, not great, but good, best match I think they could've done. Maybe an extra teased finish or too more.

Batista/HHH and Cena/JBL, problem here, we have 4 guys fighting for the top WRESTLING TITLES, and all 4 can't really WRESTLE, so we have a problem. Forgettable wins.

WM 20, which is probably a "top 5-7" WM, blows this out of the water. And WM 20 had many problems, too.

Its sad, tho, that so many of you think this PPV was good. it's not even your fault. You're just used to the watered down, shitty product. WM 21 was the largest pile of this shitty product, the BIGGEST SHI...er, SHOW OF THE YEAR.

The thing about Rey's mask was, instead of SELLING MOVES, he adjusted/fooled withn his mask the entire match.

I didnt even notice that, then again I wasnt paying all attentiont o the tv cuz of the extraneous distractions I had to deal with as mentioned earlier.

Guest Shadow
I liked Reys mask. reminded me of bash at the beach 96 vs pyschosis, where Heenan got in a line saying rey with the bald head looked like Demi Moore (she was filiming gi jane then)

Of course a 9 year old pop culture reference on paper is a bad idea, remember that wm 21 featured Hulk, Piper, and Bob Orton Jr.

not the mask itself, but the Mask's faultyness was horrible.

rey was prob worried the mask would come off, and OH MY GOD PEOPLE WOULD SEE HIS FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UseTheSledgehammerUh..

Your ratings and comments really confuse me... The Ladder match was the match of the night at ***, while Shawn/Angle wasnt and it was *** 1/2?

Last year's really wasn't a great show. It had some great matches yes (even if I don't get the love for the Angle/Guererro bouts, any of them), but there was just an absurd amount of dead weight and it went way too long.

Hassan's throat-cutting might have been "in bad taste," but it's fuckin' GANGSTA.

Its sad, tho, that so many of you think this PPV was good. it's not even your fault. You're just used to the watered down, shitty product. WM 21 was the largest pile of this shitty product, the BIGGEST SHI...er, SHOW OF THE YEAR.

No- it's that people (gasp) geniunely enjoyed the show! Just b/c you didn't like it doesn't mean the show was not good or that people couldn't geniunely enjoy the show. Calling it the largest pile of this shitty product just makes you sound like an idiot.

I wasn't looking that forward to it and I ended up really enjoying myself. As I said, HBK v. Angle managed to suck me in and I was so ridiciously into that match. Orton v. Taker was another match that I got very into?

I really enjoyed the show. Is it because I'm used to a watered down product? No- the show just entertained me which is all I ask

Last year's really wasn't a great show. It had some great matches yes (even if I don't get the love for the Angle/Guererro bouts, any of them), but there was just an absurd amount of dead weight and it went way too long.

Hassan's throat-cutting might have been "in bad taste," but it's fuckin' GANGSTA.

I dont think hassan throat cutting is in bad taste. remember hes playing an american of arab descent, not an arab or a terrorist or anything like that. enough with political correctness. besides the hassan gimmick is basically becoming the new iron shiek or countless other anti-america gimmicks of the past 50 years.

The only thing it does is work on an ironic level, as the fans are acting exaclty like what hassan is complaing about. blind stupid patriotism and hatred of anything that is foreign. I swear he could have come out dressed like that and said nothing and they would boo him just because.

I didn't think the Summerslam match was all that great, but I remember live really getting into Eddy v. Angle live and it's even better on DVD.

I haven't noticed the throat cutting thing the two times he's done it. Hassan is funny so I like him

btw anyone else find it sad that again Motorheads performance was lame. Lemmy didnt remember the words AGAIn (but then again they probably havent played it since wm x-7 so....) Would have liked to have heard a live performance of the evolution theme instead.

I second that! :firing:

btw anyone else find it sad that again Motorheads performance was lame. Lemmy didnt remember the words AGAIn (but then again they probably havent played it since wm x-7 so....) Would have liked to have heard a live performance of the evolution theme instead.

And they had the tempo turned up again, so Lemmy had to sing very quickly.

btw anyone else find it sad that again Motorheads performance was lame. Lemmy didnt remember the words AGAIn (but then again they probably havent played it since wm x-7 so....) Would have liked to have heard  a live performance of the evolution theme instead.

And they had the tempo turned up again, so Lemmy had to sing very quickly.

yea that screwed it up also

Did anyone else tear up while Hogan was posing?

Didnt tear up but I sure was marking out like crazy! The crowd was so nuts I got goosebumps then - and (dont ask why) also when they did the Austin trailer and he went off on the "here to raise hell" line. I thought that was a pretty sweet lead-in to the show.