TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CronoT

The Slowly-Dying Death of RPG's.

I cared about Aeris's death for a variety of reasons. First of all, that was the first time I'd ever seen a main player character get killed off in an RPG (no, General Leo doesn't count). Secondly, it came out of nowhere; you weren't expecting it at all. Thirdly, the manner in which it happened was pretty brutal; if they'd added a giant splash of blood, it could've been something right out of a samurai movie. And finally, the absolutely gorgeous cutscene of Cloud dropping her body into the water just about made me cry.

Aeris's death is SO well done, that it got me misty even though I couldn't give two shits about the character. The music is BEAUTIFUL. And I even knew it was coming!

Some magazine had a preview disc for FFVII, well before the demo disks were out. It had the Aeris death in full. I wanted to throw the fuck up. No big spoiler warnings or anything. Fucking bastards.

I can't stand FF8/10 because they read like a girl's diary.

I so completely hate Rinoa.

Squall was a fucking moron. It was so clearly obvious that he was meant for Quistis. That was the great love story we were meant to see.

Man, he should just have passed her off to his buddy Seifer. He would have taken her.

Guest CronoT
I always thought Quistis should have been the heroine.  Smart, not completely useless (like Rinoa and her little dog, too!) and still hot in the "librarian" sort of way.

Quistis gave a new meaning to the phrase "Hot for Teacher." Too bad Squall was such an uptight dumbass that he couldn't see it.

I always thought Quistis should have been the heroine.  Smart, not completely useless (like Rinoa and her little dog, too!) and still hot in the "librarian" sort of way.

*dittos the Quistis love*

She has a whip, too.

Kudos to Czech for the Van Hagar reference. :)

Alundra is more difficult than I remember it being. I've gotten stuck on many a puzzle.

Alundra is quality, but I consider it more of an Adventure game than a true RPG. Obviously it owes a bit of debt to Zelda. :)

The 2nd Alundra's "meh" though.

Alundra I believe is either a prequel or sequal to Land Stalker (Genesis). Or at least I remember both characters being too similar to pass it off.

The second Alundra had nothing on the first. I don't even think they were related.

Alundra I believe is either a prequel or sequal to Land Stalker (Genesis). Or at least I remember both characters being too similar to pass it off.

The second Alundra had nothing on the first. I don't even think they were related.

Nope, the only sequel or follow up to Landstalker is Dark Savior on Saturn or allegedly Time Stalkers on Dreamcast.

EDIT: But the back of the box of Alundra clearly states that at least some of the people who worked on Landstalker worked on Alundra, so apparently it is a spiritual successor. I was confused by Climax releasing DC games later, though.

I cared about Aeris's death for a variety of reasons.  First of all, that was the first time I'd ever seen a main player character get killed off in an RPG (no, General Leo doesn't count).

Everyone forgets about Phantasy Star 2 and Phantasy Star 4 (Nei and Alys, respectively).

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't see the "I've seen" part of your sentence. Still...

Those two deaths were much forgotten because it was on the Genesis.

Have you ever noticed that whichever system has had the RPGs, has ruled the gaming industry? I mean, Nintendo vs. Master System, it was Nintendo. SNES vs. Genesis, it was Nintendo. PS vs. N64 vs. Dreamcast, it was PS. PS2 vs. GC vs. XBox, it was PS2.

I mean, I find it funny that one system that pretty much has a strangle hold on that genre rules the industry.

Guest OSIcon
  Those two deaths were much forgotten because it was on the Genesis.

Have you ever noticed that whichever system has had the RPGs, has ruled the gaming industry? I mean, Nintendo vs. Master System, it was Nintendo. SNES vs. Genesis, it was Nintendo. PS vs. N64 vs. Dreamcast, it was PS. PS2 vs. GC vs. XBox, it was PS2.

I mean, I find it funny that one system that pretty much has a strangle hold on that genre rules the industry.

Yea....though until the PS vs. N64 vs. Dreamcast era, that was pretty much just a coincidence. Not that you were saying that, but just though I'd mention it. The NES and SNES were successful for more reasons than just having a stranglehold on RPG's. I think PS and more so PS2 owe at least a portion (if not more) of their success to the fact that they have the Final Fantasy games.

Guest CronoT

The good Final Fantasy games, you mean. I could go take a massive shit and make a better game than FF: Crystal Chronicles. Tactics Advance is a decent game, but it's a shallow immitation of it's predeccesor.

The good Final Fantasy games, you mean. I could go take a massive shit and make a better game than FF: Crystal Chronicles. Tactics Advance is a decent game, but it's a shallow immitation of it's predeccesor.

I could eat alphabet soup and shit a better slam than that.

Just how good were the Phantasy Star games? I've heard about them of course, but it's been years since anyone's really talked about them.

For that matter, what other great Genesis RPGs were out there? Just wondering cuz I might be hauling the old Sega out of storage here sometime soon, and you never know what games might be floating around on Ebay.

Guest CronoT
Just how good were the Phantasy Star games? I've heard about them of course, but it's been years since anyone's really talked about them.

For that matter, what other great Genesis RPGs were out there? Just wondering cuz I might be hauling the old Sega out of storage here sometime soon, and you never know what games might be floating around on Ebay.

Jingus, if you have a GBA, you can buy Phantasy Star Collection for it, which has Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 3 on it.

Phantasy Star 4 is the only one worth tracking down. Even back in the day it was worth the $80 price tag. Battles were fun because you could set up "macros" which would have your characters carry out preset actions, allowing you to set up multi-character techniques that were just so fun to uncover through trial and error. Character balance was very good with no character really blowing away all the others until maybe the end of the game. The characters had pretty good ingame portraits that would show off a nice amount of emotion and the story is unveiled through a series of pop up still pictures in a very effective way that I'm surprised wasn't stolen more. Shame Sega didn't get behind it enough or it would've been better known as one of the top 3-5 RPG's of the 16 bit days.

Other than that, the Shining Forces were quite good. There are a few good action rpg's like Landstalker, Shadowrun, and Beyond the Oasis that are worth a look into.

Guest CronoT
FF:CC is that bad? I was thinking of getting it too. Thanks for the head's up.

FF: CC is an RPG version of Mario Party. Unless you have 3 friends who all have their own GBA's or SP's, and you have a GBA/SP yourself, don't even bother buying it.

It's like Secret of Mana, only it sucks.