TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Eastern Conference Finals

I hope Miami destroys them. I like Shaq and D-Wade, and fuck the Pistons. I can't stand Detroit. The city is a shithole (I've been there) and the Pistons are one of my least favorite teams (Bulls fan).

Finally. My #1 most anticipated playoff match.

I've been encouraged by the way the pistons have played against the heat during the season. It'll be tough but I'm banking on detroit to pull it out. it could go either way though. Alonzo was a big pickup which might be the balance-pusher. Shaq may not be healthy the first one or two games, which provides detroit a great opportunity to steal one in Miami, then try to hold home court, if they want to win.

i'm interested to see what kind of strategy pistons pull to try to slow down Wade, best way to slow down an offensive star is to wear him down on the otherend. Which means putting Wade to defend Rip is a no-no for Miami (dont want wade chsing Rip around like a madman) Billups, contrary to what someone said in the otehr thread, is a good defender, but i doubt he has the speed (but he has the body strength). Best bet is to put Prince on him, or maybe rotate Prince, Billups, Rip, and Lindsey through the game like they did with Iverson.

My (hesitant) prediction: Detroit in 6

Guest Vitamin X

Wade is nowhere near the force that Iverson is, though. I don't think anyone in the league is.

Put Prince on Wade on the defensive end, Billups on Jones, then switch when Dooling comes off the bench. If the Heat bring out Jones/Wade/Dooling/Shaq, that will be quite an offense vs. defense match to see.

Detroit needs to run their transition game and fastbreak as much as they can against the Heat. Only way to really beat the Shaq/little fast guy connection (whether it's Hardaway, Kobe, or Wade) is to beat Shaq to the other end of the floor and go 2-on-1 on the perimeter guy, just like they should do on defense.

This should be a really good matchup. I'm predicting (or maybe hoping?) Pistons in 6.

Pistons/Heat was the only matchup i cared to see out of the Eastern Conference, so i'm glad that's what we've got. Several interesting matchups both as teams and individually, which will hopefully make for some entertaining games. I both think and hope Detroit advances out of the two, though i wouldn't be that surprised to see Miami advance. Either way i don't see it going less than 6 games.

I hope Miami destroys them. I like Shaq and D-Wade, and fuck the Pistons. I can't stand Detroit. The city is a shithole (I've been there) and the Pistons are one of my least favorite teams (Bulls fan).

Wow, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

I think that this should be a great series. I don't see Miami blowing them out. If Shaq was 100%, I think it would still be a good series. As it is, I think that Detroit will pull out a mild upset and win the series. The Wallaces were able to handle Shaq in the finals last year and I think that they will again this year. If Miami is to win, I think it will need to be because of their role players. The Jones will need to step it up a notch.

The only thing not to enjoy about this series is that fucking Detroit arena announcer screaming "DEEEE-troit BASketBALLLLLLLLL". I hate that guy.

Why exactly do you dislike the Pistons, the Bulls/Pistons rivalry was like 15 years ago, and honestly the Bulls became alot of people in Michigan's team during the Pistons dark ages from 1992-95. As for the city, firstly, the Pistons aren't don't play in Detroit, and what the hell does Detroit being a shithole have to do with liking the city's basketball team. I went to a Tigers game at Comiskey and after somehow walking around the surrounding area, I went "Wow, this part of Chicago is just as big of a shithole as the shitty parts of Detroit". But that doesn't stop me from rooting for the Bulls to actually become a good team again, which they have.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Goody gumdrops. I'd have rather seen the Pacers here of course, but I like Detroit too. They've got their work cut out for them though, because they have to simultaneously outrun Shaq, and slowdown and beat up Wade. Shocker prediction, Detroit wins in five.

I think Miami will have to be carried by Wade, who needs to have a huge series. I would give the edge to Detroit even if Shaq were healthy. The Pistons will collapse on the middle whenever Miami passes into the post. Wade will need to be very aggressive in driving to the hoop, but the Heat will need an outside shooter. But Eddie Jones will fold under the pressure.

Pistons in 6.

And the Heat's announcer is just as annoying.

Guest news_gimmick

Finally a great matchup in the Eastern Conference, and one that has been most anticipated. It really can go either way, but I'm predicting the Pistons in 6 or 7. Personally though I'd like to see the Heat make the finals, they have had the better season up to this point and I'm a fan of Dwayne Wades. But if the Pistons happen to make it, so be it, I want a great series out of this matchup.

I went to a Tigers game at Comiskey and after somehow walking around the surrounding area, I went "Wow, this part of Chicago is just as big of a shithole as the shitty parts of Detroit".

You walked around that neighborhood? Your badge is in the mail

You guys are basing who you want to win over how obnoxious the PA announcers are? That's preposterous! Alonzo Mourning is obviously the most obnoxious presence in any NBA playoff arena! I hope to never, EVER see him flex his muscles, yell out loud or pump his fists over a tip in or block again. And for that reason: GO PISTONS GO.

I went to a Tigers game at Comiskey and after somehow walking around the surrounding area, I went "Wow, this part of Chicago is just as big of a shithole as  the shitty parts of Detroit".

Yeah, It was definitley up there with walking from Hamtramck to Mexicantown Detroit at 4am with just one other person as one of the more dangerous things I've ever done

Guest news_gimmick

I....I sorta want the best team to win....what a concept!

This will be a good matchup, and I like Miami to win. They have a deeper team than the Pistons. Detroit only has McDyess and sometimes Arroyo that give them anything off the bench while Miami has Dooling, Mourning, Laettner, and Doleac who can all get some points and rebounds. Miami also has great role players like Haslem and the two Joneses and are less prone to horrendous scoring droughts. Detroit is probably better defensively, but Miami is no slouch in that area. The Heat are infinitely better on offense as well. I think there will be games where the Pistons shoot themselves out of contention, as well as games where Miami hits their offensive stride. Detroit will probably win a couple ugly ones, but I think the Heat have too much firepower.

Short version: Miami in 6

Detroit's defense on Wade was stiffling. They're defense throughout the whole game was pretty impressive, but did have a few cracks here and there. When they did shut down Miami in that stretch in the third, you could see Stan Van Gundy got a little desperate and threw out both Shaq and Mourning on the floor at the same time. Sitting at home, even I was a little scared to see that lineup. But Detroit was unphased and amazingly, Antonio McDyess was able to perform with those two on the floor.

I believe Miami will win the next one though, then Detroit takes games 3 and 4, Miami takes game 5 and Detroit finishes it off at home.

That game was the most predictable I've seen in a while. I knew that this would be the end result of the game and I wasn't disappointed at all. Detroit sweeps this series.

Bring on the 80-75 games for the Finals!

How do you not find a defensive slugfest like that entertaining? I mean it's great when they're blocking shots and banging each other around in there.

You act like they're all going to move at a snails pace and do nothing.

I'm probably in the minority, but I also enjoy a defense slugfest just as well as an offensive one. Blocks and steals are just as entertaining as three's and jumpers to me. If the score is low, I have no problem with it as long as it's strong defense that's causing it and not sloppy play by both team.

How do you not find a defensive slugfest like that entertaining? I mean it's great when they're blocking shots and banging each other around in there.

Both teams will play hard and it will go to 7 games.

Guest Vitamin X

Personally, I think it's because people don't like to see smart clock management (aka taking time and passing the ball around to take up the shot clock) and halfcourt games more than fastbreaks and transitions. Trust me, if I liked watching pointless shots being taken, I'd love watching the Wizards play, and I don't. The Suns are a different matter, though.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I like watching big guys beat the shit out of each other in the paint. I'm rather looking forward to Spurs/Pistons

I went to a Tigers game at Comiskey and after somehow walking around the surrounding area, I went "Wow, this part of Chicago is just as big of a shithole as  the shitty parts of Detroit".

My Godmother lives there. And I have walked around over there. It's actually not bad...well, Bridgeport at least.

Jesus, it's just 1 game gone for each series..way too early to write anyone off. I'd take the Spurs to beat the Pistons in such a series though. The D is about the same and the Spurs are a lot better offensively (i.e. they can actually score 100).

How about a Pistons/Sun series though? What a car wreck mismatch of styles that would be. I think we can all agree that Spurs/Heat has NO zing to it though. I for one am bored to tears with Shaq vs. Duncan EVERY year.