TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shanghai Kid

Shelton's Potential

What's in the long term for Shelton Benjamin? Right now he has no real gimmick and doesn't get much mic time, but he's putting on good matches every week and he's been the IC Champ for seemingly forever. Can he actually get over on his wrestling alone ala a Benoit or Bret Hart?

What's his potential as a wrestler? Can he become one of the greatest WWE wrestlers of all time from a workrate perspective?

I think their doing a good job of just having him win matches convincingly every week, but he needs either a manager or a big, big feud to get him over. Remember, when Rock was IC Champ he actually had memorable feuds with Ken Shamrock and HHH, that's what made his time as champ great.

I think he'll go really far. I can see him as a WWE Champion and the first black wrestler in WWE (not counting Rock) to not be treated as a joke or stereotype.

Its been discussed a few other times on this board. All Shelton has to do is learn how to cut that all important promo, and the sky is the limit. I think he could easily get over on his skills alone, and seems to be doing so nicely, but I dont see WWE giving him a serious run at the main event, for now at least. He can mat-wrestle, brawl, fly, he just needs those all-too-important mic skills that WWE demands, and his potential is nearly limitless.

Guest Nater

The same things that got Bret Hart the title can eventually get Shelton the gold.

Sheldon doesn't need the "all important mic skills", he needs the "all important good promos", which is mainly the fault of the shitty writers. They haven't really isolated his character and therefore can't really write the right kind of promo for him. Plus, the guy isn't getting mic time to talk, so it can't be said how good or bad his mic skills really are. At worst, they sound rehearsed. That can be fixed. They did the same thing with Batista, short lines of dialogue that flow naturally into the current conversation and make him sound badass.

I think Sheldon is missing a good finisher. One that fans will recognize as a killer move and pop for accordingly. I also think that while the WWE isn't positioning Benjamin poorly with the "look what he can do in the ring", I don't know if that's enough to put him over the top. It's a good character support, but its not an actual character.

Workrate is never a guarantee. For every Bret Hart and Chris Benoit, there's an Owen Hart or Ricky Steamboat.

It's shit.

It's not bad for a secondary move, but look at it; it actually has less impact than a bodyslam. For someone who can do "amazing things in the ring", Benjamins finish is less-than-stellar. It's a very sad move, and being an actual exploder would be a huge upgrade. I'm not opposed to using suplexes as finishers, but this one has no impact.

I think Sheldon is missing a good finisher.  One that fans will recognize as a killer move and pop for accordingly. 

What about the Exploder Powerslam he uses at times?

Agreed completely. I know Im not the only one who sees the crowd pop when he goes for the move. His exploder slam has a "come out of nowhere" effect to it, and we've seen him counter several different moves with it. He has been known to take to the air for a few finishes, such as that sweet springboard bulldog he's used a few times.

It's shit.

It's not bad for a secondary move, but look at it; it actually has less impact than a bodyslam.  For someone who can do "amazing things in the ring", Benjamins finish is less-than-stellar.  It's a very sad move, and being an actual exploder would be a huge upgrade.  I'm not opposed to using suplexes as finishers, but this one has no impact.

He could always use a wrist clutch exploder suplex, and he'd look like he'd be dropping people on their head.

As for his potential, if this was a fair world, it would be limitless, and he'd have a genuine shot at getting a real run with the World Title. As it is, unless he gets put back on Smackdown, his potential is limited to that of being a future jobber for Triple H in a World Title program so Hunter can get to #17.

Guest HeadDropMark

Shelton Benjamin is an example of Vince 'shoving a guy' down the fans throat. Internet fans tend to 'enjoy' his workrate so this fact is often ignored and his glaring weaknesses are downplayed. The crowd reaction, quarter hours and merch sales he produces aren't commensurate with the push he's received.

When he comes to the ring one can often hear a pin drop. While I can understand criticizing the quality of the material the writers produce, Benjamin's delivery is abysmal. When he speaks (or more likely than not mumbles) his voice is the living definition of negative charisma.

While he's probably the most athletic performer on the roster, that alone NEVER translates into money and is actually the least important trait in terms of being a draw. The attributes that count (telegenic appearance, possessing a 'star quality' that elicits emotion and rapport with the audience, possessing the charisma to 'sell' himself and the product to a large audience) just aren't there.

There's a role for him to play, but it isn't at the top of the card. That's probably why Hunter put him over...he knew his spot was 'safe' working with someone as limited as Shelton. He just doesn't have the elusive 'it' factor to get to or be a part of the top level players.

Don't let love of his athleticism fool you into thinking otherwise.

When was he shoved down our throats ?

And what push has he recieved ? Being stuck in the midcard with no real feuds ?

And when did Hunter put him over ? He blew Benjamin off like he was nothing when Benjamin asked for a rematch. Hunter didn't put Benjamin over a lick. He laid down for him. Big difference.

Everything wrong with Benjamin outside the ring is the writers fault. His voice, if used right, is 100% badass. He is given bad material and his character is wrong for him - he isn't Dustin Rhodes who can take shit and turn it to gold like he did with Golddust in 2002. It shouldn't be the wrestlers' job to adapt to the writers, it should be the writers' job to adapt to the wrestlers.

A cross-armed bridging suplex might be fun to see from Benjamin. As a when-all-else fails finisher, perhaps?

I was thinking about a wrist-clutch exploder, but they wouldn't let him have it unless it was totally watered down. However, a watered down Exploder 98 is better than what he has right now.

I also have to mention a flying armbar, just cause I always do when the discussion comes up :)

I think he'll go really far. I can see him as a WWE Champion and the first black wrestler in WWE (not counting Rock) to not be treated as a joke or stereotype.

I agree.

I really do think Shelton has the potential to be a really a big star in WWE.

I agree.

I really do think Shelton has the potential to be a really a big star in WWE.

Absolutely, Shelton will be a mega star the likes of Rock and Austin, with talent like his, and an undenyable natural charisma, a spark, like he has, it is inevitable.

I agree with Rudo that he needs another finish. The Exploder Slam would work as a secondary finisher, or a crowd popping 'maybe' move. If you build a move enough it'll get over, sure. But he doesn't have a move that you'd believe could pin Batista, HHH...even Edge and Benoit.

He needs a hook too. They tried the stereotypical 'he grew up on the streets' stuff a while back to make him sympathetic. They tried giving him a 'short temper' in the Jericho feud. Neither worked. He needs some sort of catchphrase, some sort of big move...something that'll make people notice him, outside of 'wow, he's athletic'.

Barring injury, he SHOULD go all the way with his slow burn to the top push. Right now he is rounding out the mid-card very nicely by putting on some memorable matches. HBK did wonders for the guy during the tournament as putting him over in the ring "as a threat" to the upper card. His push sort of reminds me of Randy Savage's run with the IC title. In so far as once his run with the IC title is over fans will want to see what he can do at the next level. The promos will come along I believe.

It's shit.

It's not bad for a secondary move, but look at it; it actually has less impact than a bodyslam.  For someone who can do "amazing things in the ring", Benjamins finish is less-than-stellar.  It's a very sad move, and being an actual exploder would be a huge upgrade.  I'm not opposed to using suplexes as finishers, but this one has no impact.

Is it any surprise, as the WWE wrestling style is to minimize to chance of injury, which translates into minimal risk? I agree that he should have a full-out Exploder, but thats not gonna happen.

Personally I am surprised that they allow Shelton to do as much as he does. That corner-jump clothesline is pretty risky, though I love it. They need more of what he does, and less of the slowed-down, play-it-safe style they have been using over the years.

Guest BrokenWings

I, too, honestly believe Shelton has the potential to be a top player. I've honestly been a huge fan of both he and Haas since WGTT came about, and before he got the IC title I was realising he had the makings of a champion.

That being said, I believe he needs a new theme song. This one is terrible. Shelton's probably my second favourite wrestler on Raw, but when I hear his theme, I'm not exactly jumping to my feet. Combine this with a lack of promos and bad material from the writers when given the opportunity, and you have, in my opinion, the only things holding Shelton back from the upper-midcard (Edge, Benoit, etc) at the very least, if not the main event.

I also agree with the previous idea of having Shelton use the 450 on larger opponents.

It's shit.

Is it any surprise, as the WWE wrestling style is to minimize to chance of injury, which translates into minimal risk? I agree that he should have a full-out Exploder, but thats not gonna happen.

Personally I am surprised that they allow Shelton to do as much as he does. That corner-jump clothesline is pretty risky, though I love it. They need more of what he does, and less of the slowed-down, play-it-safe style they have been using over the years.

Benjamin gets to do anything he wants since he is a WWE guy, all he needs is a manager or to miraculously improve his mic skills to make it to the next level.

Edited by humongous2002

Shelton has had what may be the most worthless IC Title reign in the history of wrestling. Here is a guy who has had the title for MONTHS, and hasn't been in one feud revolving around the title yet, with an exception of a weak feud with Jericho that was seemingly dropped after RAW this week.

If Benjamin has an actual FEUD, maybe he can start developing a character. Maybe he'll be ready for the main events after that.

He's held the IC title longer than Randy Orton did. I guess that makes him the longest running champ in like what? 8 years now?

I think at the level Shelton is at you don't push him THAT hard. Since his role right now is to round out the mid-card he is doing a fantastic job. This is the time when we do get to know him. Then again the WWE still could screw it up. But his slow build is working for me as long as he is putting on interesting matches.