TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

New info about "The Montreal Screwjob"

Guest nokia

Here is Meltzer's post regarding the mystery man in the Montreal Screwjob, posted 3-4 months ago

* Read the "blown up text" and see if you are as curious as me about the so called "mystery man" !! (If this is the wrong forum, then i'm sorry)

"They ordered Michaels to act super pissed off in the ring, because he was going to be their new champion, and they recognized the distinct possibility that it wouldn't look good for their new champion to get his ass kicked on a live PPV in front of the world and then have the ex-champion quit on the spot knowing he'd be screwed.

That was the reason that Vince, when he suggested the Moolah-Richter cinching on a small package, was told in no uncertain terms that would be a disaster. Hart would know Michaels was in on it, and knowing the situation, there is little doubt Hart would break Michaels in two immediately before he could get out of the ring.

The fake submission spot set up by Patterson (although it was not Patterson's idea, and when the person who was the real architect passes away I'm allowed to give the rest of the story) gave Shawn the plausible deniability. While Bret didn't believe him in the dressing room when he asked him, it wasn't until Undertaker (who didn't know ahead of time) told him a few weeks later that he knew for sure Shawn and HHH both knew in advance."

* Reactions ??

I remember reading that and having flashbacks to Deep Throat.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. If and when the name is given, it probably won't be any more spectactular than Vince admitting he was the Higher Power.

I would think it would be okay in this folder considering the "mystery man" is probably still serving in some capacity for WWE.

Any guesses by me would be pure speculation, as it could be anybody. What we do know, is that the following people were in on it:

Vince McMahon

Pat Patterson

HBK

Triple H

Earl Hebner

And the following people most likely were let in on what would go down:

Shane McMahon

Linda McMahon

Stephanie McMahon

Kevin Dunn

So either it was one of them, or someone else came up with the idea and thus was in on it.

I'm sure it's somebody within the WWE's inner circle, like Gerald Brisco or Shane McMahon, somebody like that. Probably nothing to get too excited about.

And on that note...can we PLEASE just drop the whole Montreal thing??? It's been eight years now. The Monday Night Wars are over. Let's quit living in the past and move on now, m'kay?

Guest news_gimmick

I can't remember who said it in the other thread, but I believe Jim Cornette was suggested and seems to be the only guy who you wouldn't think of as being involved in the setup.

And indeed it was Hartfan :D

Edited by ThomasJMayer

Guest *KNK*

I believe it's Jim Cornette. It's someone Meltz has respect for and wouldnt want Cornette's image to be tarnished while he was alive. By the time Cornette dies, Montreal will have long passed and/or Meltzer will be gone.

I wonder if Meltzer has written a tell all book to be released upon his death. There has to be a amazing amount of stuff he knows that he kept secrect such as this and what the original plan of the invasion was(that he called Gold)

Guest wildpegasus
I believe it's Jim Cornette. It's someone Meltz has respect for and wouldnt want Cornette's image to be tarnished while he was alive. By the time Cornette dies, Montreal will have long passed and/or Meltzer will be gone.

I wonder if Meltzer has written a tell all book to be released upon his death. There has to be a amazing amount of stuff he knows that he kept secrect such as this and what the original plan of the invasion was(that he called Gold)

So nobody knows what the original plan for the invasion was? And Meltz won't spill the beans?

Guest *KNK*
From what I've read, Meltzer won't reveal it in hopes they still use it one day.

How exactly will they ever have a chance to do the original invasion plan again...when TNA folds?

WWE vs. TNA won't draw. Maybe with ECW? Raw and Smackdown down the road?

I don't know honestly. Maybe if they create another nWo like stable.

Edited by HartFan86

Guest Edgehead

It was the same guy who drove the hummer and was the brainchild of GTV. Personally I feel that it is about time this whole thing is forgotten. Who cares whose idea it was. It happened and it is history.

Well, it wasn't me...(Yea, that's what I want them to think)

Edited by lovecraft231

Guest JerichosHi-Lite
And the following people most likely were let in on what would go down:

Shane McMahon

Linda McMahon

Stephanie McMahon

Kevin Dunn

So either it was one of them, or someone else came up with the idea and thus was in on it.

Stephanie McMahon was 21 in November 1997. She was probably in college then and definitely didn't work for WWE. I can't imagine she would've known about it. Shane, Linda and Kevin seem reasonable though

Guest Nater

Text that is so large should make me crap my pants. This failed to do so.

Much to the joy of my pants.

Off Topic - humongous2002, your avatar is one of the most disturbing things Ive ever seen.

There's no telling who couldve been the mastermind. Theres far too many people who had too much to gain from the situation to pin it on any one particular person. I can see Vince's side in the matter, because he didnt want to risk Bret showing up on Nitro with his company's championship belt. One of these days when this mystery person or Meltzer croaks, we'll gett he answer.

Guest Mosaicv2
I can't remember who said it in the other thread, but I believe Jim Cornette was suggested and seems to be the only guy who you wouldn't think of as being involved in the setup.

And indeed it was Hartfan  :D

THAT WOULD RULE!

I can see Vince's side in the matter, because he didnt want to risk Bret showing up on Nitro with his company's championship belt.  One of these days when this mystery person or Meltzer croaks, we'll gett he answer.

There was zero chance of Bret showing up on Nitro, and less than a zero chance of him showing up with the WWF Title belt. To do so would have opened up Bret and Eric to legal action that Vince would have won, and neither Bret nor Eric were going to do that.