GreatWhiteNope

One and Only "ECW: One Night Stand" Thread

Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"

• Good
    • Mediocre
    • Bad

Yeah I was wanting Walk too. I think that song is just as much a part of RVD as Enter Sandman is for Sandman.

The thing is, where do they go from here? If the show was such a rousing success it's hard to just let it go at that. I think any show that is actively a part of WWE continuity needs to have ramifications (whereas if it was a purely ECW show with no WWE guys it could exist in its own vacuum). It sounds odd to continue this on SMDN though...aside from the two main douches in Angle and JBL no one on that show really dislikes ECW all that much. Certainly not Teddy.

I'm hardcore!

Wonder where they'll go with Regal/Tajiri. Unless they did it in the STL Raw, they haven't really split the team, but they were on opposite sides of the ECW/WWE fight...

FROM PWINSIDER'S ELITE AUDIO:

(Basically translated, not directly quoted)

-- Here's the lowdown on the JBL/Blue Meanie situation. JBL was still bitter about a 2001 interview Meanie did in which he accused JBL to be the ringleader of the backstage hazing and called JBL "the biggest asshole in the WWF." JBL apparently remembered this and had his eye on Meanie during the brawl. As Meanie was brawling with Coach, JBL hit Meanie in the back of the head. JBL proceeded to wallop Meanie, ripping out the staples that had to be put in his head from Hardcore Homecoming, giving him a new gash, and a black eye. Meanie had to pull Maven on top of him to shield himself from JBL, and this is where the ECW guys noticed what was going on. Axl Rotten started throwing punches at JBL, and soon Tracey Smothers (notorious for taking care of business where its needed) joined in. The Sandman started choking JBL with his cane, pulling him back leaving him open for wide open shots that started to be taken by Mikey Whipwreck and Balls Mahoney. Al Snow was about to jump in on the JBL beating when Bubba Ray Dudley noticed what was happening and pulled JBL out of the ring. Bubba threw a legit punch at JBL's face and threw him back into the WWE contingent. After the show, JBL was waiting for Meanie at the gorilla position and had to be held back while screaming about what Meanie said about him. Meanie basically ignored him and walked off in another direction. Odds are, no action will be taken against JBL because he is an office favorite, but a lot of the wrestlers are very unhappy with him.

-- If you suspected by Eddie Guerrero's demeanor that he did not want to be at the show and phoned in his performance, you'd be exactly right. When Guerrero saw the setlist backstage, he was not happy to find out he was tapping out clean. He had an attitude about himself the whole night so it looks as if he intentionally sandbagged the match on purpose, making Chris Benoit very frustrated, who really wanted to put on a memorable match for the ECW crowd. Benoit and Guerrero traded words with each other after the match, as Guerrero was also very upset at the injury to his face he suffered. He also immediately left the show after his match was over, which is why he was absent at the closing WWE vs. ECW battle.

-- Vince McMahon and Shane McMahon were both backstage at the PPV, although they didn't play any part in the booking of the actual show. They were merely just backstage spectators and making sure everything was going smooth for Paul Heyman & Tommy Dreamer, who were running the show. Stephanie McMahon nor Triple H were at the show.

-- The only person that RVD's interview had to be cleared with was Paul Heyman, Vince had nothing to do or nothing to say about RVD's promo.

-- Paul Heyman's "shoot" was different. His shoot on Edge was planned. Edge was told about it earlier in the day and was said to be completely fine with it. With Heyman's shoot on JBL, it was not planned and Vince was watching it on a monitor backstage. Vince was initially surprised about what Heyman said, but eventually laughed about it, saying, "I don't care, he put Triple H over."

-- After their match, both Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Psicosis were visibly upset that their match was a disappointment (both men immediately knew it), however Rey was working on a legit injured ankle, so credit must be given where credit is due for Rey even working.

-- Stone Cold Steve Austin was very, very impressed with One Night Stand and was incredibly enthusiastic to be a part of it.

-- Joey Styles has signed a contract with WWE that allows WWE to use legally use his voice in voice-over work and could possibly utilize him in the ECW part of WWE 24/7.

Guest *KNK*

I was hoping to read that Eddy had personal problems effecting him (nothing serious mind you) or a injury or sickness but apprently it was just a case of ego.

as for JBL? sadly we come to expect this from him but sooner or later he will mess with the wrong person.

Rewatching the match, Guerrero rolls out the ring after quite an intense mat-wrestling reversal sequence. Eddie is outside for ages, doubling over, visibly in pain. That's when he broke his nose I reckon, in that sequence. So you can't fault him for his performance after that.

And Eddie's just started what looks like a major push for his character, so he's right in being pissed with a quick tap-out finish... but not in this context. The results of the matches didn't matter one bit on this night.

I find it funny you say that, considering it would be much more appropriate for JBL.

It's almost cliche to say "fuck JBL" at this point. Of course I don't agree with what he did, and I think he should be punished, even though I'm a huge fan of the guy.

Guest BrokenWings
Oh please, a broken nose didn't hinder him any.

Have you ever tried wrestling while not being able to breath out of your nose?

I'm guessing not.

That's funny, because Matt Hardy had one of the best matches of his career against Benoit while gushing blood from his nose.

Oh please, a broken nose didn't hinder him any.

Have you ever tried wrestling while not being able to breath out of your nose?

I'm guessing not.

That's funny, because Matt Hardy had one of the best matches of his career against Benoit while gushing blood from his nose.

Because as we all know, if a broken nose doesn't affect one wrestler, it must then not affect all wrestlers who suffer a broken nose.

A wrestler is undoubtedly affected if he breaks his nose. Anything that hampers breathing affects anyone, especially a wrestler in a match.

You are pushing that too hard. It's obvious that he was acting like he didn't give a shit, even before the broken nose. The broken nose was just the straw that broke the camel's back of him not giving a shit.

More from PWInsider Elite:

-- Here's the story on the bleeped cursing. The original plan was for everything to be uncensored. Since One Night Stand took Bad Blood's original spot in the schedule, the PPV was automatically tagged with a TV14. They tried at the last minute to get it changed to a TVMA to allow uncensored cursing, but were unsuccessful in their attempts. It is almost certain that the cursing will be uncensored for the DVD release, set for June 28th, and will probably be a marketing selling point for the DVD.

More from PWInsider Elite:

-- Here's the story on the bleeped cursing. The original plan was for everything to be uncensored. Since One Night Stand took Bad Blood's original spot in the schedule, the PPV was automatically tagged with a TV14. They tried at the last minute to get it changed to a TVMA to allow uncensored cursing, but were unsuccessful in their attempts. It is almost certain that the cursing will be uncensored for the DVD release, set for June 28th, and will probably be a marketing selling point for the DVD.

I bought PPV and I'll buy the DVD if that is true.

He almost killed Gertner by almost shoving him over the balcony too.

Maybe we'll see Gertner as the next Smackdown General Manager now.

He almost killed Gertner by almost shoving him over the balcony too.

Maybe we'll see Gertner as the next Smackdown General Manager now.

I would love to see him try to convince Teddy Long that he should be Long's version of Coach. The obvious reaction that JBL would have if Gertner was given that role would be worth it alone.

Guest jumpingbombangel
FROM PWINSIDER'S ELITE AUDIO:

-- Paul Heyman's "shoot" was different. His shoot on Edge was planned. Edge was told about it earlier in the day and was said to be completely fine with it. With Heyman's shoot on JBL, it was not planned and Vince was watching it on a monitor backstage. Vince was initially surprised about what Heyman said, but eventually laughed about it, saying, "I don't care, he put Triple H over."

[/b]

Good spin, Vince.

I do find it nice that the only time HHH's name came up (other than the VENGEANCE PROMOS!!) was when Paul E. mentioned him.

It'd be nice if Vince let people start being more honest with the fans like this (it'd be different if they were out to protect pro-wrestling, but this is sports entertainment). I'd feel a lot warmer and closer to the hot mess of horseshit he's producing right now.

It's not like they had Eddie jobbing out to some ECW guy who hadn't been on TV in 4 years. He was jobbing to friggin Benoit, that's hardly a bad loss. On a reunion type show. Had Deano been at this show I would have been amused by Eddie jobbing to him moreso than Benoit.

That shove on gertner pissed me off, even if it was a work. And the kick in the ass, seemed to be directed in the region of his balls. JBL is tough!

Guest JMA

It's good to know that JBL got a small measure of payback for acting unprofessionally. It won't change anything, but it is good to know.

It's not like they had Eddie jobbing out to some ECW guy who hadn't been on TV in 4 years.  He was jobbing to friggin Benoit, that's hardly a bad loss.  On a reunion type show.  Had Deano been at this show I would have been amused by Eddie jobbing to him moreso than Benoit.

Sounds like Eddie is becoming the Latino HHH on Smackdown. Ugh. This absolutely sucks. I hope he doesn't ask WWE to let him squash Paul London every other month like HHH does to the Hurricane on Raw.

On more pleasent notes...something I missed last night but caught re-watching the tape...

I loved how I think Bubba said "Good Bye!" to Bischoff before Bisch was hit with the 3D.

It just made it that much more classic to me.

Well to some degree I can see Eddie's point here. Let's face it: He isn't really an ECW guy. Sure, he competed there in 1994-95 or so but he's hardly someone you think of when you think ECW. Eddie has done way too much in his career in WCW and then the WWF/E to be defined by a brief ECW stay.

I think his match last night was hurt mostly by Eddie staying in heel character mode. It's trickier though since Jericho could morph back easier, just put on an old jacket and he's ready to go. No drastic change there. With Eddie though he'd have to go from uber dick heel to cheerful Eddie with the campy looking red jacket that sparkled. It'd have been cool as well to see Rey wear an old mask. I won't fault Rey much though, he was a bit injured. I know someone said he wrestled the OVW Six Flags show here in Louisville, but having been to a few OVW tapings I can assure you there is a world of difference between dicking around at half speed with some trainees and going balls out at an ECW show.