GreatWhiteNope

One and Only "ECW: One Night Stand" Thread

Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Rate "ECW: One Night Stand"

• Good
    • Mediocre
    • Bad

So true, dude. That Raw tonight was such a dreary hangover of a show, and ironically enough I saw a guy in the crowd with a sign saying Monday Night Hangover.

Guest Miss Indy Queen
After the show I totally forgot one of my huge mark-outs of the night...

Seeing VLADIMIR the superfan alive and well after vanishing from WWE crowds.

Is that the darker guy with really short hair thats ALWAYS hyped up? The guy that they showed in the front row when Heyman was telling the crowd they were insane or whatever? I used to always see that guy at events, and I think they did a small profile on him in an old WWF Mag.

Yes that's him. That whole row was a group of friends that went to WWE and ECW.

Guest wildpegasus

I don't think this has been posted yet. If it has, oh well.

From the Lords of Pain site

Speaking of RVD, some people that ordered the replay of ECW One Night Stand are reporting that some of his comments on the WWE creative team were edited out of the replay.

WP --- Interesting, can anyone here confirm this?

Why edit it out? I mean it's not like RVD's comments were anything similar to Heyman's wild shoot later on where he ranted at everything and everyone. Touchy, are we WWE creative?

Guest nokia

also from lordsofpain.net

"There was an incident of sorts at ECW One Night Stand between the former ECW vixens Francine Fournier and Dawn Marie. Apparently, Dawn Marie didn't like how Francine greeted her when Dawn entered the locker room. Dawn Marie felt that Francine was being disrespectful to her. Dawn Marie was saying hi to her but Francine blew her off and made a face. Dawn Marie then got angry and called her a few one-liners including "bitch". They then went their seperate ways and avoided each other the rest of the night.

Word of this incident reached Johnny Ace and Vince McMahon and they decided to have a meeting calling for professionalism as they wanted the WWE wrestlers and ECW wrestlers to cooporate and to not have battles on the night of the PPV. They don't mind if they want to talk about past problems and such, just that they do it on another night and not on the night of the pay-per-view as they wanted everything to go as smoothly as possible"

* I'm thinking JBL was already drunk when this meeting took place and didn't pay attention...

From PWI:

Patrick sent word that WWE has put up a site for ECW at ECW.com. I know that for a long time, the name was owned by a trucking company and they had no interest in selling the domain, back in the day, which is why the old company website was ECWwrestling.com. That domain is still owned by Joey Styles.

Considering they just purchased the ECW domain, I have a feeling this isn't the end of ECW.

I really need to get a hold of the bWo theme. That is really quite awesome, its stuck in my head.

EDIT: Got it. Thank you Limewire.

Edited by Nice Guy Adam

One Night Stand backstage notes from PWI:

John Laurinaitis, Arn Anderson, Tony Garea, Ricky Steamboat, Gerald Brisco and Dave Finley were all at the ECW PPV working in their regular role as road agents. Laurintaitis gave a short speech to the wrestlers before the show thanking them and telling them they didn't have to take any undue risks they weren't willing to take and to feel free to use the road agents for help mapping out their plans. The feeling among the locker room was that the WWE regulars used the agents while the "outside" wrestlers called their own matches, and that may have been why some of the undercard bouts featured a more WWE-esque style. Chris Jericho and Lance Storm put their match together themselves.

In a break from ECW tradition, there was no pre-show speech by Paul Heyman to the crew.

There were quite a few wrestlers who had hoped for more time for their matches or to have a larger role on the show due to their love for the ECW product, but were overall happy with the show and especially happy to be reunited with their friends for one night. Most of the out of town wrestlers all stayed in the same hotel in New Jersey and were chartered into New York City via bus. There was a huge contingent of fans waiting for the wrestlers to arrive as early as 9 AM this past Sunday morning.

We've gotten a few questions asking about the choice of wrestlers that were shown in the tribute video on ECW One Night Stand. As it was explained to me, they specifically went with those who had passed away after Extreme Championship Wrestling had closed, as opposed to those who had already been honored during the time of their deaths, such as Rick Rude, Eddie Gilbert, and Brian Pillman.

Former ECW stars The Musketeer and Tony DeVito were backstage at One Night Stand.

Super Crazy, Kid Kash, and Psicosis all worked yesterday's Raw taping in Binghamton, New York for dark matches or Sunday Night Heat. We don't have much else in the way of details yet. Crazy and Psicosis are signed to WWE deals.

http://www.1wrestling.com/news/newsline.asp?news=22944

JOEY STYLES COLUMN: STREAM OF CONCIOUSNESS ON HARDCORE HOMECOMING AND ECW ONE NIGHT STAND

By: Joey Styles

6/14/2005 10:53:05 AM 

Any occasion that gets me from Atlanta to the NorthEast is a happy occasion.

Cheap ass Cyrus should have flown into Philly instead of New York so we didn't have a six hour drive sitting in traffic :)

Cheap ass Cyrus never has any American money on him just to avoid paying for anything :)

The atmosphere at Tony Luke's Beef and Beer is better than the original walk up location across the street but the sandwiches are bigger and better at the original, especially at 2AM.

Regardless of what anybody says, the renovations made to the former ECW Arena have not fundamentally changed the building.

Damn that building is friggin' hot in the summer!

Jerry Lynn had not wrestled in 10 months and was the best worker on the show...TNA should get a clue and make money with him. He is better than Daniels and Styles.

Scorpio is ageless and Kid Kash put him over huge. Good for Kash.

Raven looks more like a star in his ECW gimmick. TNA should get a clue and make him dress that way and then but the belt on him.

Why would anyone voluntarily wrestle in barbed wire!?

Thanks so much to Shane Douglas and Jeremy Borash for putting together the greatest "indy" show there has ever been!

It was so wonderful to be back in Connecticut all day Saturday.

My mother and father tried to feed me to death.

Who else but me starts the day in church and ends it watching my friends bloody and burn each other on live TV?

Everyone at WWE was very polite and professional. I was expecting to get hazed and as such, did not bring a bag that could have been crapped in while I called matches.

I must have been dreaming that Vince McMahon WWE spent a small fortune to completely and accurately re-create ECW.

Did I actually sign a WWE contract? I must have. A pig just flew by my 16th floor office window and hell just called to thank me for the snow.

Francine still has huge boobs and her BUTT looks better.

Tazz has mellowed over the last four years. Thank God.

Shane Douglas has not but it only makes being his friend more fun. I wouldn't want to be his enemy.

Vince McMahon didn't punch me in the mouth...yet :)

I didn't punch Paul in the mouth...yet :)

I am still a huge fan of Arn Anderson, Ricky Steamboat, Fit Finlay and Steve Lombardi.

Shane McMahon looks like his Dad. He didn't punch me in the mouth yet either.

When do I get to meet Stephanie?

Can someone please tell me what the hell Meanie said about JBL to prompt a beating like that?

Along with my wedding and son, Joseph being born, this was one of the three greatest weekends of my life. Closure has wonderful healing powers.

God Bless.

Joey Styles

Guest jumpingbombangel

Dude say what you will about Joey Styles, but I am genuinely happy he gets to have his little moment in the sun now.

Guest nokia

from pwinsider

"Just to follow up on the hotline Mike and I did earlier this week, the word making the rounds is Vince McMahon will not take any action against JBL for his unprofessional behavior at the PPV. Vince likes JBL and JBL gives him every reason to like him, if you get my drift. Let's just put it this way, Vince better not ever stop walking too quickly when JBL is around or the former WWE champ might end up being a lot closer to Vince's derriere than the boss would like. Say what you want about JBL but he knows who to get on his side, and he has Vince McMahon"

JBL is really a smart man. It really looks like he had a plan from the beginning of his career and last year he became a main eventer and the WWE Champion. Then he showed his true skills with great promos and now his career reaches his peak. Everywhere he goes he gets massive heat, he's a established Heel while everyone thought he wouldn't succeed. And now he has almost reached god status in the WWE because whatever he does he gets away with it. He's on top with Triple H....belee dat.

He didn't give a shit about what Heyman said to him at ONS. He had a great time and faked a heartattack because he knows Heyman might have been right but you can't touch JBL, he's a wrestling...god. Now I like him as a on-air character but I hate him in real life. I hope someone beats the crap out of him soon.

Hell, this could just be a worked shoot to get JBL more over. I mean wasn't that one of ECW's strong points in making angles this?

From reports it seems like Heyman's comments on JBL weren't planned.

So, he should have called him a Nazi Bastard.

From pwinsider.com

"If you suspected by Eddie Guerrero's demeanor that he did not want to be at the show and phoned in his performance, you'd be exactly right. When Guerrero saw the setlist backstage, he was not happy to find out he was tapping out clean. He had an attitude about himself the whole night so it looks as if he intentionally sandbagged the match on purpose, making Chris Benoit very frustrated, who really wanted to put on a memorable match for the ECW crowd. Benoit and Guerrero traded words with each other after the match, as Guerrero was also very upset at the injury to his face he suffered. He also immediately left the show after his match was over, which is why he was absent at the closing WWE vs. ECW battle.

-- Vince McMahon and Shane McMahon were both backstage at the PPV, although they didn't play any part in the booking of the actual show. They were merely just backstage spectators and making sure everything was going smooth for Paul Heyman & Tommy Dreamer, who were running the show. Stephanie McMahon nor Triple H were at the show.

-- The only person that RVD's interview had to be cleared with was Paul Heyman, Vince had nothing to do or nothing to say about RVD's promo.

-- Paul Heyman's "shoot" was different. His shoot on Edge was planned. Edge was told about it earlier in the day and was said to be completely fine with it. With Heyman's shoot on JBL, it was not planned and Vince was watching it on a monitor backstage. Vince was initially surprised about what Heyman said, but eventually laughed about it, saying, "I don't care, he put Triple H over."

-- After their match, both Rey Mysterio, Jr. and Psicosis were visibly upset that their match was a disappointment (both men immediately knew it), however Rey was working on a legit injured ankle, so credit must be given where credit is due for Rey even working.

-- Stone Cold Steve Austin was very, very impressed with One Night Stand and was incredibly enthusiastic to be a part of it.

-- Joey Styles has signed a contract with WWE that allows WWE to use legally use his voice in voice-over work and could possibly utilize him in the ECW part of WWE 24/7. "

What a pro, that Eddie Guerrero.

Hell, this could just be a worked shoot to get JBL more over. I mean wasn't that one of ECW's strong points in making angles this?

From reports it seems like Heyman's comments on JBL weren't planned.

So, he should have called him a Nazi Bastard.

No, I'm talking about the "shooting" on Blue Meanie.

Well, this is another thing that I just thought of, and I figured this would be the best place to put it...

How different would the history of ECW had been had Kurt Angle stayed with ECW and wrestled a program with Taz?

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=10969&p=1

TOMMY DREAMER INJURED, ECW ONE NIGHT STAND DVD EXTRAS AND MORE

by Mike Johnson @ 2:00:00 PM on 6/15/2005

The word going around at WWE TV this week was that Tommy Dreamer had suffered a separated shoulder and some sort of ear injury stemming from his match against the Dudley Boyz. Dreamer wasn't injured from the flaming table spot.

CW Anderson was backstage at Raw and Smackdown but wasn't used in the ring.

I am told that the WWE production team is working overtime on ECW One Night Stand's DVD, which is being rushed out for a 6/28 release. It will be interesting to see if they allow the curses on the DVD, since the PPV edited them off as it was advertised to be TV-14.

Scheduled extras on the DVD feature:

*Two TV commercials

*ECW videos featuring Tommy Dreamer, Sandman, Rob Van Dam, Sabu, and the Dudley Boyz

*The "ECW Funeral" from Raw.

*Video feature on the ECW fans at the PPV, which will include post-show interviews with fans outside the Hammerstein Ballroom.

They should put ECW Heat on there, as it recapped the RAW/Smackdown Crusaders and why they were involved with the show.

I made sure to catch a replay of this so I could offer an actual opinion, based on facts, instead of what I've said in the thread so far.

In my honest opinion, one of the most over-rated PPVs ever.

It was good, don't get me wrong. But some people have been comparing it to Wrestlemania X7 which is completely laughable. Whever it was because I didn't watch it live or not, I don't know, but it left absolutely NO lasting impression on me. Whatsoever. Hell, my first thought once the show had ended was "what was all the fuss about". 'Decent' matches, a 'decent' garbage brawl, an ECW vs. WWE storyline that there was no reason to get involved in...good for nostalgia, except that I've seen everyone on the show wrestle since ONS except the tall guy from the F.B.I. It was accurate to the old ECW, sure. But it had no more of an impact on me than watching NTR '99 two hours beforehand.

They must have done something right though, to (apparantly) get such a good buyrate and to have so many people 'marking teh fuq out' watching. Then again, that's what Heyman such a good booker. He knew exactly what would push an ECW fan's buttons and he did it. Genius? Who knows?

Guest BrokenWings

I think a large part of it was live value, and seeing they actually did something right for a change. It's been hyped to such an extent that anyone who sees it by this point is going to think it was overrated.

Guest Heppyhack
I think a large part of it was live value, and seeing they actually did something right for a change. It's been hyped to such an extent that anyone who sees it by this point is going to think it was overrated.

I've finally had the chance to see it tonight, for various reasons. I'd agree that it definitely needed to be seen live to have the full impact, but even with the full knowledge of spoilers it was still something special. It wasn't a fantastic card in terms of workrate or classic matches, but in catching the spirit and the ethos of what ECW was about it was one long markout moment.

Apart from the music (surely, for Tommy if nothing else, they could have sprung for the proper Man In A Box rather than that horrible cover) and Foley's rather poor colour commentary, it was fantastic. Accentuated the positives, hid the negatives, as Paul E would have said.

So no, it was no Mania X7, but it was never meant to be. It was about being something special, and in that Dreamer and Heyman achieved everything they set out to and more besides.

God bless them.

From a historical point of view, this show is important. However, it cannot touch WMX7 in terms of overall entertainment and the in ring work. It's good as a stand alone show and more entertaining than most of the ppv's WWE has put on the last 5 years. I liked ONS, but I wouldn't even say it was better than WM21 when I look at the show from an overall POV.

JBL is a FUCK!

Not only did he stiff meanie, but he was totally making fun of Awesome vs Tanaka the whole time. i don't know why they kept showing him. Good cover by Styles and Foley though, saying he was enjoying the match, when in reality he was shitting all over it.