TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Guest Smues
Double Switch...LOL...I got that game along with the Sega CD for christmas...it really is bad...FMV where you're helping Corey Haim protect the weird guests in his equally weird hotel via various cams that show each room in the hotel...basically you have to set traps in each room and then switch to that room when there's something crazy going on and save the guests from a mummy like creature. I won't spoil the "surprise twist" for ya.

So basically it's Night Trap in a hotel but with Corey Haim and Deborah Harry instead of Dana Plato? Lame.

Heres a question that might deserve it's own thread...but I'm lazy.

Am I the only person who absolutely SUCKS at getting from point A to point B in RPG-like games? In every single RPG I've ever played, I end up getting hopelessly lost for hooours. Only RPG I can honestly recall that I didn't get lost in for hours was Chrono Trigger, and even then I found myself in a few situations where I'm going "...Where the fuck do I go?!?!!?"

A recent example is X-Men Legends 1. I'm playing through that, and in the Morlock Sewers...and I can't figure out how to proceed. All my objectives say is to destroy the pumps, but goddamnit I can't find the other! I searched for a good hour before I consulted a faqs, and found out there was an entirely different area I had to goto to get the second.

I do that in every damned RPG I play.

Does anyone know of a decent resource for finding sales information on video games? I know there's probably not anything like boxofficemojo.com for games, but I'm thinking that there's got to be a halfway decent online source for that information somewhere, right?

Am I the only person who absolutely SUCKS at getting from point A to point B in RPG-like games? In every single RPG I've ever played, I end up getting hopelessly lost for hooours. Only RPG I can honestly recall that I didn't get lost in for hours was Chrono Trigger, and even then I found myself in a few situations where I'm going "...Where the fuck do I go?!?!!?"

A recent example is X-Men Legends 1. I'm playing through that, and in the Morlock Sewers...and I can't figure out how to proceed. All my objectives say is to destroy the pumps, but goddamnit I can't find the other! I searched for a good hour before I consulted a faqs, and found out there was an entirely different area I had to goto to get the second.

In X-Men Legends, there is an in-game map which points out where the objectives are. Just hit the select button or hit the start button and go down to map.

Found another glitch in No Mercy.

Having a ladder match with Kane vs the Mailman (CAW). And when I was about to grab the belt, the Mailman knocked over the ladder. The problem was that Kane grabbed the belt and brought it down with him, but the match continued. It wasn't till about 12 minutes later that the belt was missing at the top.

Is anyone remotely interested in the new Special Edition of Devil May Cry 3? I think I just may throw down the money for it, I mean VERGIL people.

Having played the shit out of 3, I'm glad DMC3 saves will work on the SE.

Final Fantasy XII is apparently going to be bundled with a 'new look' PS2 for the Japan release. It will look identical to a normal slim-line model, however it will also feature the FFXII symbol on the front of it. Square-Enix have said that this will make its' way out of Japan should there be a demand for it.

a_med_ffxII_ps2.jpg

God damn it, I want Final Fantasy already. Being a PAL user means I'll have a great time playing it sometime in the next 25 years.

Anybody else play Romance of the Three Kingdoms around here? I picked up Rot3K VIII for cheap since Rot3K X wasn't in my price range. Made my custom officer and right now I'm under Cao Cao's regime as a vassal and ever so slowly working my way up the corporate ladder. I'm enjoying the gameplay alot more than I did while playing Rot3K VII.

I'm having that issue playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm completey new to the entire game and I"m doing the beta test for the 360 and I get so fucking confused on where to go. The game is completey vague in giving you details on where to go or how to get there. The map system should be a hell of a lot better than what they have.

I ordered a Xbox 360 bundle from Walmart and they send the games today but the system won't arrive till tomorrow or friday. So I am stuck sitting here looking at the box to DOA4. This is torture!

X-Men Legends can be a fucking bitch with its' navigation. I think I spent, seriously, a good hour pacing the damn mansion trying to talk to everyone in order to trigger the next event on my first playthrough.

You come out exhausted and all you've done gameplay-wise is talk to 4 people.

Yeah, it is a real shame with RPG's have aspects like that, which increases the chances of you saying 'fuck this', throwing down the controller and swearing off the game altogether. It can really destroy what can be an awesome gaming experience. I had that when I first played through Final Fantasy X when it was intially released.

I'm very glad I had the sense to come back and give it another shot.

One RPG I never once had an issue with, though, was Shadow Hearts II. That is pretty much, for me, as perfect as RPG's get in this age.

Guest Smues

That was some nice luck. Was at the mall yesterday and looked at X-box controllers because I needed a new one. Was a bit shocked to see them selling for $40. Today I stopped at Toys R Us since it's closing and most things were on sale. They had X-box controllers for $30 before the sale, $18 after. Got that and a PS2 controller for $15 and got both for less than I'd pay for one x-box controller at the mall. Huzzah sales.

That was some nice luck. Was at the mall yesterday and looked at X-box controllers because I needed a new one. Was a bit shocked to see them selling for $40. Today I stopped at Toys R Us since it's closing and most things were on sale. They had X-box controllers for $30 before the sale, $18 after. Got that and a PS2 controller for $15 and got both for less than I'd pay for one x-box controller at the mall. Huzzah sales.

40 bucks for a normal Microsoft Xbox controller, thats insane that a store is selling them for that much. Hell the wired xbox 360 controllers sell for that much.

You know, it really surprises me that considering all the hatred towards the layout of the A/B/X/Y buttons on the Gamecube controller, no third party has come out with a controller with the buttons in the traditional PS/SNES layout.

Some Random Video Game News and Tidbits:

- Final Fantasy 11 new expansion and Xbox 360 verison is coming out in April.

- Japan is getting a new designed DS in March...lucky bastards.

- Godfater for PS2 and Gamecube is coming out March on the 21st....Xbox 360 version sometime this year.

- New Splinter Cell now comes out in Sept.

- Killzone is coming out for the PSP this year.

You know, it really surprises me that considering all the hatred towards the layout of the A/B/X/Y buttons on the Gamecube controller, no third party has come out with a controller with the buttons in the traditional PS/SNES layout.

NYKO Airflow has made a controller that has the Playstation layout.

- Japan is getting a new designed DS in March...lucky bastards.

Do you really need a smaller system?

I finally dusted off God of War and gave it another go (played a couple hours straight, but died a good bit. Only once by running out of health (rest were getting turned to stone by Medusa), though.

I'm starting to see where a lot of the praise and criticism is coming from. However--Game of the Year? No, sorry.

The game engine is fabulous, and I would love to see other games built upon it, because it allows for a lot of more traditional platforming, but is flexible enough to give you a very good view in so many types of gameplay scenarios.

The context-sensitive button presses are fairly shameless--tap at the right time, get brutal eye candy.

Did the programmers set some sort of bare breast quota they had to meet?

Dave Jaffe is just obsessed with the game being "mature".

Who?

Designer of God of War. Has been with Sony since the beginning of PSX. Worked as a producer for Twisted Metal, Warhawk and some other games.

More polished, much better combat.

2 attack buttons that result in you wildly swinging your weapon around, and a grab that leads to...button prompts/mashing. The stealth kills in 2 Thrones are obviously inspired by GoW, but you only get to set those up after watching enemy patterns and carefully gauging the right time to attack.

And maybe the enemies get vastly smarter later on, but they seem to be idiotic dopes in GoW. Playing both on normal, T2T's enemies were more likely to block and properly counter than GoW's. You attack, attack, attack, and usually they'll only be able to answer with a super attack that you can't interrupt.

The right-analog roll is crap compared to the Prince's acrobatics. His are actually useful in free form combat. All Kratos' roll is good for is putting distance between you and the enemy. It's useless in most combat situations.

The Prince actually has a wide variety of combos, but simply mashing without proper timing will get most of the attacks blocked, and get you nothing but the most basic of combos. Okay, Dark Prince sections are the exception, but he's meant to be an engine of destruction, and in those situations time is the enemy above all else.

All GoW has *is* the most basic of combos, and a few extra moves you acquire along the way.

Plus--GoW has no way of avoiding cheap deaths i.e. the Medusas. On their own, you can wiggle the stick and unstone yourself. A little trickier when you're being ganged up on, however.

Also, T2T is paced so well that I don't have...oh...2 dozen more enemies popping in to fight me for no adequately explained reason (except for the sand gate areas--where it actually makes sense). Sands of Time's combat areas did suffer from that though.

And there's no contest in the platforming--T2T has GoW beat there, although GoW likely never set out to compete with it on that area.

For the first game in an (inevitable) series, GoW's pretty darn good.

And as far as combat engines go--DMC3/SE destroys GoW's anyway.

TT looks bad while GOW hs excellent graphics.

Is the PS2 version that ugly?

I have the GC T2T. While GoW looks better than even that, T2T by no means has bad graphics. Multi-console releases often look poorer than exclusives that were optimized for one system.

Graphics aren't everything, regardless.