TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Here's a question: Has an American game EVER become a big hit in Japan? I'm trying to think of one and I'm failing.

EDIT: OK, Hudson's port of Lode Runner sold a million copies on the Famicom two decades ago. I really don't think that counts.

Now I've found an answer to this. Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 both sold over a million in Japan. I never particularly cared for that series.

According to IGN, Konami cancelled a bunch of stuff: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/754/754307p1.html

Here's the full list of cancelled titles.

Gradius Series (PS3)

Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (PS3)

New Action Game (PS3)

New Role Playing Game (PS3)

New Action Adventure Game 2 (Wii)

Role Playing Game (Wii)

With those titles gone, Konami's Wii and PS3 lineup reads as follows:

Pro Baseball Spirits Series (PS3)

Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

World Soccer Winning Eleven Series (PS3)

Music Simulation Game (Wii)

New Action Adventure Game (Wii)

Sports Game -- Soccer (Wii)

Sports Game -- Baseball (Wii)

Not new Action Adventure Game 2 *and* Role Playing Game! Noooo!

When will Konami move the Winning 11 series to a platform other than Playstation?

I'm suprised they haven't--it isn't like Europe hates the 360. It's doing very well there.

I'm really tired of seemingly every single amateur review using the Graphics, Sound, Control, etc. format. If you're writing a five paragraph review of a game, you don't need to devote a full paragraph to the f'n sound. Just tell us what you liked and didn't like.

I'm okay with it depending on the game and whether sounds is important as say in Rainbow 6: Vegas. Being able to hear the voices when you come up on a room and having them yell "Get the motherfucker!" is great.

I'm really tired of seemingly every single amateur review using the Graphics, Sound, Control, etc. format.

I agree with you there. I would rather hear about the gameplay or how well certain concepts worked, instead of having to skip through crap about how average the graphics and sound were. I am sure that in some games those things might stand out, but, if they don't, ditch 'em.

Also, another thing that has annoyed me is when I read a review titled "THIS IS THE WORST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED!!!!!" then I see a 7 out of 10 rating next to it. If the game is so awful, then why the heck do you rate it 7 out of 10?

Most amateur reviews suck horribly, but talking about the graphics and sound is perfectly reasonable. Gameplay is obviously #1, but any objective review (ie. good review) should attempt to critique every aspect of the game. Although I do agree that not much really needs to be said about the sound and graphics, but it definitely should be there,

Most amateur reviews suck horribly, but talking about the graphics and sound is perfectly reasonable. Gameplay is obviously #1, but any objective review (ie. good review) should attempt to critique every aspect of the game. Although I do agree that not much really needs to be said about the sound and graphics, but it definitely should be there,

Oh it's valid to talk about them. It's just that the format is horribly tired.

I would rather hear about the gameplay or how well certain concepts worked, instead of having to skip through crap about how average the graphics and sound were.

There are a couple of issues that reviewers struggle with, when it comes to describing gameplay. Part of the problem is that most reviewers don't seem to have the proper knowledge or context to place a game within the overall evolution of gameplay in a particular genre. To create an extreme example, a person who writes a bundle of reviews a month for Gamepro may look at something like Final Fantasy Tactics, for example, and proclaim that it's the greatest innovation in turn-based strategy when, in fact, much of the in-game battle system leans heavily on Tactics Ogre, which many of the FFT developers (most notably Matsuno) worked on. There's a lot of ground to cover: three software platforms in the current gen, plus three platforms in the past gen, both rife with thousands of multi-platform releases...

The other problem is that the language for describing how a game plays is still kind of primitive. We can sort of identify games as fitting within a particular genre (though even that's not always a given - let's have a discussion about what constitutes an action/RPG again) but providing a concise explanation for how games within that genre differ, in terms of gameplay, can be very difficult.

It's the bad crossover fanfiction generator!! : http://www.kaction.com/badfanfiction/

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Teen Titans and the Legend of Zelda . The story should use alternate dimensions as a plot device!"

-Easy. Post Majora's Mask, that Link ends up not in Hyrule, but in whereever the hell the TT are.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining James Bond and Metal Gear Solid . The story should use hypnosis as a plot device!"

-For a Metal Gear Solid plot, that has to be incredibly mundane.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Friday the 13th and Ah! My Goddess . The story should use angst as a plot device!"

-Too funny...

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Metroid and the Little Mermaid . The story should use car accidents as a plot device!"

-...seems a little tricky...

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Silent Hill and Twilight Zone . The story should use alternate dimensions as a plot device!"

-That COULD actually work.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Emeril Legasse and Wheel of Fortune . The story should use possesion by Satan as a plot device!"

-Too easy.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Donkey Kong and Metal Gear Solid . The story should use becoming the President as a plot device!"

-No need to go overboard with realism.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Monster Garage and Spongebob Squarepants . The story should use anal sex as a plot device!"

- A Deliverance parody? Just with nicer vehicles?

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Duke Nukem and Professional Wrestling . The story should use brainwashing as a plot device!"

-Vince: You haven't defended your championship belt for 11 years, Duke! YEEER FIRED!!

I don't think you can possibly come up with something for Metal Gear Solid that doesn't seem plausible.

I don't think you can possibly come up with something for Metal Gear Solid that doesn't seem plausible.

Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Moulin Rouge and Metal Gear Solid . The story should use puberty as a plot device!

Oh wait, Raiden. Damn, never mind.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Metroid and the Little Mermaid . The story should use car accidents as a plot device!"

-...seems a little tricky...

Samus gets hit by a car while walking down the street. The car runs right through her bottom two legs, cutting them clean off. To save her life, the doctors use the only animal nearby, fishes, and give her a fish bottom. However, the christian right finds out about this and convinces the president that its an abomination, and they throw it out to sea. Samus falls into the ocean, her hair turns red, uh, because someone dumped red dye in at the same time. As she falls, she hits her head on a rock, gets amnesia... the little walking crab from the cartoon finds her but she doesn't remember her name so he names her Ariel... and she lives her new life... UNDER THE SEAA! UNDA THE SEAA!! HYAAAHH!!

Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining I Love Lucy and Terry Tate, Office Linebacker . The story should use moving to a new place as a plot device!

Sorry for posting another, but Lucy screwing up a move and the getting violently tackled by Terry Tate really cracks me up.

Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Jeopardy! . The story should use losing one's virginity as a plot device!

I would read this.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining L. Ron Hubbard/Scientology and The Bible . The story should use possesion by Satan as a plot device!"

Tremendous.

"Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat . The story should use robbery as a plot device!"

Shao Khan invades the Mushroom Kingdom and steals the seven stars prompting the ultimate battle between good and evil?

Guest Smues
Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Ah! My Goddess and Mortal Kombat . The story should use religion as a plot device!
Whatever the guys name is tries to order a pizza but instead gets the dial an angel service thing. But there's a mix-up in Heaven and instead of sending the angel they send him Millennia!

Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Duke Nukem and Army of Darkness . The story should use tentacle rape as a plot device!

Ash is stuck in the past battling deadites when Duke Nukem shows up. He gets raped by that tree from Evil Dead 1 (hey it counts as tentacle rape) and then Ash chainsaws the shit out of him for stealing all of his lines.

Alright, stupid question time...

I don't play World of Warcraft, never have, barely know anything about it outside of the South Park episode it inspired. However, all this crazy hype about the latest edition has somewhat peaked my interest and I've considered taking a look at it. Do I need the original version released back yonder in order to play Burning Crusade, or can I do everything I need to with just the latest version?

Thanks

Burning Crusade is an expansion (basically more areas and a few new places). If you've never played WoW before there's no need to really worry about playing BC yet.

Warcraft.com has a free 10 day trial of the main WoW, you can download the client and try it (no need to put any CC info or anything on your account).

I did it myself, it just ended last week. I elected not to pay for it (mostly because my computer was underpowered and it was choppy), but it was pretty good.

Pardon me if this question has already been raised. I was too damn lazy to look.

I am in the market for a video gaming console. I can't decide which is the superior system, Xbox 360 or PS3? I've received near universal praise for the 360 and very mixed views for the PS3. What do you think?

They're about equal in power. PS3 has a Blu Ray player built in but 360 has a HD-DVD ad on you can buy. They share a lot of games but each has it's own exclusives. Which is superior just depends on what kind of games you play, how much you're willing to spend, and if you're interested in Blu Ray. If you're going to spend that much you should just do some research online and find out which has the most games you want to play now and will be out in the future.

None of the next-gen systems have a particularly good software library yet, but the XBox 360 at least has some nice looking games due out in the next few months, while the Wii and PS3 have some blockbusters supposedly coming out during the 4th quarter 2007. But if this is your first system, I'd buy a PS3 and use it to play PS2 and PS1 games until some good PS3 games come out. You really can't beat the PS1 + PS2 libraries.