TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Smackdown VS Raw 2006

It's way better. Season Mode is much different. Voice-overs are well done, I've done two seasons and I know they are more storylines I still need to have. In HCTP you mostly had the same storylines with the tag team and diva manager etc....now, it's different.

I think for future games they need to expand on GM Mode with more options as well as more realism, and change it to be the actual "Season Mode". Move the old-style Seasons Mode to be "Story Mode" which is actually more of what it is, anyway. I only say this since a Season is more about managing EVERYTHING in the game from finances, to rosters, to matches and angles, etc.

Edited by vivisectvi

Some (late) thoughts:

Overall a pretty addictive game once you turn it on, still it has a lot of issues;

-The AI is cheap. For Rumbles it's hard to throw people over the top rope even after doing a hard Irish Whip from while a few feet from the ropes.

-I can punch at an AI opponent three times and not score a hit but they can grapple and beat me down, WTF?

-Irish whip system is bullocks as is the control system in general. I've missed crucial pins because my CAW decides not to drag his opponent but pin him while he is on the ropes!

-Throwing your sucky CAW into the main events with little EXP makes them easy fodder for guys like HHH.

-Creating stables and tag teams are cool, but I was expecting that to factor into the storyline. I created Evolution with my CAW, HHH, Benjamin, and Masters. I started story mode and what do you know, there is a storyline that involves three out of four of my guys. I thought it was revolutionary that they crafted a storyline to show how my stable came together until I found out it was a pre-determined story that had nothing to do with my stable. Dissapointing it was.

-I hate RAW strory mode where I have to go against HHH at WM. You get punked out too much. SD storylines are much better. I like how you can be a HEEL and not have to save Eugene's retarded ass or stand up for morals and decency. You have a choice, or more of them.

-My CAW walked funny until I realized his legs were too long and muscular.

-Not enough CAW outfits, what if I wanted to be a Nazi?

-Not enough entrance music. They should have used music currently not in use. I know they have legends music, but some of the best music is from mid-carders like Billy and Chuck. That said Orlando Jordan has the best music and entrance and I borrowed it wholesale for my CAW.

-They should develop a titantron for you as you progress in the game. Just piece togehter highlights from your matches and storylines. Would have been a nice extra touch.

Overall, the game is good though and I played for like 6 hours last night. Voice 5 is PERFECT for my CAW and whoever did the VA work is splendid. I unlocked unlimited experience points and now my CAW runs through the competition (on easy). Overall I give it a 7 out of 10.

Damn it... I've been doing a Raw season with Edge ever since I finished SD with Eddie, and after

winning the World Title from HHH at Unforgiven in a cage match and being stripped

I have to do the Legends Tour AGAIN.

After I won the rumble with Cena, I got into the traitor storyline. Austin sent me to No Way Out, I caught Batista in JBLS limo, but still chose to trust him (i fgiured he was lying and it would make a good storyline for our mania match) sure enough a week later on raw after a match against orton and benoit he turned on me. At Mania I beat him up a lot for fun and won the World Title. Anyone else notcie how the credits get lamer with each game. I mean this time is the same annoying song for 3 mins with just scrolling credits and no game highlights or anything LAME

Are there any finishers that are easier to reverse than others? I'm trying to pass that challenge and am looking for the easiest way possible. Thanks.

I just had a fucking amazing match with my CAW of Raven against Andre.

I'm liking this game a lot. I'm starting to get the hang of it and I actually like the stamina part. It adds something to the game.

Anyone else notcie how the credits get lamer with each game. I mean this time is the same annoying song for 3 mins with just scrolling credits and no game highlights or anything LAME

It may either be because of voiceovers or laziness (like with Edge, Chris Masters, and Eugene not having their entrance attires, HBK not having the updated baggy pants, Steven Richards with the white and pink colors of his shorts reversed, Stacy Keibler still wearing a jean skirt after two games, etc.).

Anyone else notcie how the credits get lamer with each game. I mean this time is the same annoying song for 3 mins with just scrolling credits and no game highlights or anything LAME

It may either be because of voiceovers or laziness (like with Edge, Chris Masters, and Eugene not having their entrance attires, HBK not having the updated baggy pants, Steven Richards with the white and pink colors of his shorts reversed, Stacy Keibler still wearing a jean skirt after two games, etc.).

Colors aren't reversed....Stevie has worn those tights.

Guest adamsummers

my question is, i remember reading on IGN that you could use superstar voices for the voice overs for CAW, yet i cant seem to do so... any help? or is that not possible now?

Guest Rrrsh

How do you complete the casket finisher challenge for the Rising Star challenge mode? I can't seem to get the finsher option to work anywhere near or in the casket?

Edited by Rrrsh

How do you complete the casket finisher challenge for the Rising Star challenge mode? I can't seem to get the finsher option to work anywhere near or in the casket?

Store a finisher and then get full momentum. Then stun them and hit your finisher.

If any of you care, here is the IGN review for the PSP version of this game. It looks like a great port, with a few things taken away and a few things added:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/675/675055p1.html

December 12, 2005 - Editor's Note: If the text in this review looks somewhat familiar to you, that's because it is. You see, the majority of our article here is recycled from our PlayStation 2 review of SmackDown vs. RAW 2006 that we ran last month. The content and performance of both games is almost completely identical to one another, and therefore, so are the reviews. That said, we have played through the PSP version of this game quite extensively and have judged the product on its own merits and have noted any differences between it and its console brother accordingly. Now that we have that out of the way, let's get on with the show.

Closing Comments

What makes WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2006 such fantastic fun to play is its total accessibility. While everyone may not care for the Buried Alive match or Fulfill Your Fantasy, they can always retreat to GM Mode or defend one of their titles instead. If those options still don't tickle their fancy, they can always just make someone with the excellent create-a-character feature, or drop into an impromptu Season, or simply engage in an old favorite like Hell in a Cell. What's more is that the gameplay has made another noticeable step forward with its strong stamina and momentum systems and the adjustments to the rest of the gameplay are just as effective.

What impresses me most, though, is that other than the load times, all of the same goodies from the console version were ported to the PSP with few technical sacrifices (the loss of a second analog stick and two shoulder buttons didn't hurt the gameplay one bit). And while I'll be the first to admit that the series could still work on its list of recurring problems, there's no other handheld wrestling game currently available with this much replay, value, or depth. In short, SmackDown lends itself extremely well to the handheld format.

8.0 Presentation

This is wrestling done right. Post-match celebrations, an excellent recreation of WWE programming, and some of the most accurate ring walks around. Expect really bad load times

9.0 Graphics

A slightly lower polygon count compared to PS2, true 3D crowds, motion-captured animations, and dead-on facial recreations make this awesome (there are still collision problems, though)

7.0 Sound

The voice-overs this year are huge improvements and the selection of music is more varied. The limited commentary is both a blessing (because it sucked) and a curse (because there is none).

8.5 Gameplay

Imagine the familiar SmackDown mechanics but add the strategy of a real momentum and stamina systems, while refining just about every other aspect of the game. That's SVR 2006.

9.0 Lasting Appeal

A great ad hoc feature, the General Manager mode, a cinematic season option, a huge array of customizable segments, tons of bonus unlockables, PSP exclusives, and dozens of matches!

8.7 OVERALL

Great (out of 10 / not an average)

If any of you care, here is the IGN review for the PSP version Smackdown vs. RAW 2006. It looks like a great port, with a few things taken away and a few things added. It's a damn shame that online play wasnt added, because I'd pick it up for sure even though I have the PS2 version, had they included it. I hear the load times are insane though, some of the worst so far. Really quick, here is a quote about the load times from someone over at Gaming-Age:

Like, nearly 3 minute load times for a match, possibly more. You see about 3 different loading screens before you even get to the entrance. . and then you've got some more loading ahead of you.

The boot-up load is pretty bad, theres loading for menus. . you basically sit through more loading than you do playing.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/675/675055p1.html

December 12, 2005 - Editor's Note: If the text in this review looks somewhat familiar to you, that's because it is. You see, the majority of our article here is recycled from our PlayStation 2 review of SmackDown vs. RAW 2006 that we ran last month. The content and performance of both games is almost completely identical to one another, and therefore, so are the reviews. That said, we have played through the PSP version of this game quite extensively and have judged the product on its own merits and have noted any differences between it and its console brother accordingly. Now that we have that out of the way, let's get on with the show.

Closing Comments

What makes WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2006 such fantastic fun to play is its total accessibility. While everyone may not care for the Buried Alive match or Fulfill Your Fantasy, they can always retreat to GM Mode or defend one of their titles instead. If those options still don't tickle their fancy, they can always just make someone with the excellent create-a-character feature, or drop into an impromptu Season, or simply engage in an old favorite like Hell in a Cell. What's more is that the gameplay has made another noticeable step forward with its strong stamina and momentum systems and the adjustments to the rest of the gameplay are just as effective.

What impresses me most, though, is that other than the load times, all of the same goodies from the console version were ported to the PSP with few technical sacrifices (the loss of a second analog stick and two shoulder buttons didn't hurt the gameplay one bit). And while I'll be the first to admit that the series could still work on its list of recurring problems, there's no other handheld wrestling game currently available with this much replay, value, or depth. In short, SmackDown lends itself extremely well to the handheld format.

8.0 Presentation

This is wrestling done right. Post-match celebrations, an excellent recreation of WWE programming, and some of the most accurate ring walks around. Expect really bad load times

9.0 Graphics

A slightly lower polygon count compared to PS2, true 3D crowds, motion-captured animations, and dead-on facial recreations make this awesome (there are still collision problems, though)

7.0 Sound

The voice-overs this year are huge improvements and the selection of music is more varied. The limited commentary is both a blessing (because it sucked) and a curse (because there is none).

8.5 Gameplay

Imagine the familiar SmackDown mechanics but add the strategy of a real momentum and stamina systems, while refining just about every other aspect of the game. That's SVR 2006.

9.0 Lasting Appeal

A great ad hoc feature, the General Manager mode, a cinematic season option, a huge array of customizable segments, tons of bonus unlockables, PSP exclusives, and dozens of matches!

8.7 OVERALL

Great (out of 10 / not an average)

I just got it on Saturday, and it's a great game, but did I read the IGN review wrong? To my understanding, your character plays a full season on both shows. Am I doing something wrong? If so, can someone please explain. Thanks.

I just got it on Saturday, and it's a great game, but did I read the IGN review wrong? To my understanding, your character plays a full season on both shows. Am I doing something wrong? If so, can someone please explain. Thanks.

To get my CAW to do that, I had to edit him so he was on Raw after doing a season on SmackDown.

I'm getting a PSP for XMas and have enough put by to get SDvsRaw once it actually comes out. Wouldn't you know it, the release date is put back.

Sucks to hear about the loading times, but other than that I'm surprised at how good it looks, being a handheld and all. Nice to hear they haven't taken a lot out too, in terms of game modes.

Guest NYChris

So what setup moves does everybody use for their finisher. I like to use the stinger splash in the corner for Shelton Benjamin. For wresters I like to use the spider suplex off the top turnbuckle. The move is done so once it is completed your wrestler is still on the top rope. If you time it perfectly the move gives you full momentum and you are perfectly setup to do your finisher. Too bad their is the top rope finishing move glitch. The spider suplex works around it nicely.

Does anyone know what the criteria is for unlocking all the movesets? I've got the first one.

So what setup moves does everybody use for their finisher. I like to use the stinger splash in the corner for Shelton Benjamin. For wresters I like to use the spider suplex off the top turnbuckle. The move is done so once it is completed your wrestler is still on the top rope. If you time it perfectly the move gives you full momentum and you are perfectly setup to do your finisher. Too bad their is the top rope finishing move glitch. The spider suplex works around it nicely.

Good old fashioned Toe Kick 1 works for me. No need to get fancy, especially in this game.

Guest NYChris

Good old fashioned Toe Kick 1 works for me. No need to get fancy, especially in this game.

Yeah but you cant do a toe kick if you want to do a five star frog splash or a moonsault in this game. Plus it makes for a great finish if you whip the guy into the corner, give them the stinger splash and when the turn around all groggy you hit them with your finishing move.

Guest Prodigy

Haven't tried them in this game, but I know in SYM you were able to reverse a toe kick into an Ankle Lock with Angle, or block a punch/clothesline into a Crossface with Benoit. I always thought that was pretty neat.

Any ideas how to get Roberts without the PSP? Aside from creating, I mean.

EDIT: Nevermind. Already answered on another page.

Edited by daileyxplanet

how do you do that thing where you whip the guy out then back towards you, and elbow him? the CPU does it to me all the time.

Whip him and then quickly tap X.