TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

OAO Smackdown Thread 7/7/05

Is it wrong if I wasn't offended by the Undertaker segment? I thought it was actually cool more than anything, considering that HASSAN of all people got the upper hand on Taker. I never would have guessed that would happen.

When I heard all of the shit about it being in horrible taste, people saying it was one of the worst things ever, and all of that, I imagined that Hassan had a bomb or something set and they mocked a terrorist attack. That is what I had going through my head.

Is it wrong if I wasn't offended by the Undertaker segment? I thought it was actually cool more than anything, considering that HASSAN of all people got the upper hand on Taker. I never would have guessed that would happen.

When I heard all of the shit about it being in horrible taste, people saying it was one of the worst things ever, and all of that, I imagined that Hassan had a bomb or something set and they mocked a terrorist attack. That is what I had going through my head.

Well, after I saw it, I couldn't believe how much steam I blew off. I think the whole thing is now stupid, not offensive.

My nephew, 14, just called me and the first thing he said was that the Taker segment pissed him off, reminding him of all of the terrorists that are killing people, especially the ones that were beheaded.

I did not find the Undertaker/Hassan segment offensive at all... Undertaker getting such a besting was actually quite awesome.

People are overreacting over nothing

I'm confused as to how it could be offensive. If you think about it as a mark, it's kinda funny. A Muslim summoning terroists after his manager got beat up to beat up a zombie. I was laughing at the segment because it was so damn goofy.

And the Rey/Eddie "secret" angle is starting to make some sense after what happened this week. It's a good ol' fashioned blackmail storyline. I expect that Eddie will continue to torment Rey, making him Eddie's bitch/slave for a while until he finally tells Rey to lie down so he can pin him. Then Rey will snap, crowd will cheer, match signed for PPV, where Rey wins the final blowoff.

I'm not offended, I just thought it was a line WWE really shouldn't have crossed.

reminding him of all of the terrorists that are killing people, especially the ones that were beheaded.

I don't think that's something to be happy about

Guest Mosaicv2

Just a reminder... i'll be at the next Smackdown! taping this Tuesday. Hoping I could post some spoilers before some other dipshit does.

Guest JMA
" I wouldn't be surprised if the media actually took notice of this."

Why the hell would they give a stupid ass carny fraud like Vince attention?  They know he's a big damn baby and that's exactly what he wants.

Well, they DO enjoy watching him fail. Hell, if JBL acting like a Nazi got attention (even though that was mostly due to JBL working for CNBC) this could too. And maybe I'm giving Vince too much credit here, but I don't think he'd want the media talking about this.

So, to recap: we have an Arab-American talking up his manager as if he were a suicide bomber, then directing a group of guys dressed up as a terrorist sect as they choke an American, then have the hooded terrorists carry the prone body of Daivari out of the ring as if he were a martyr.

Yeah, can't see why anyone would find that tasteless/offensive.

Just a reminder... i'll be at the next Smackdown! taping this Tuesday. Hoping I could post some spoilers before some other dipshit does.

ill be going to the tapings too but ill let you have your moment :)

I'll just comment after.

FLOOR SEATS BABY!

Hell why not? This show was roughy 10x better than the drizzling shit of Raw the other night.

When I saw the terrorist dudes attack UT I couldn't help but think of one thing: Yokozuna casket match, 1994 Royal Rumble. Maybe UT will get Chuck Norris to keep the terrorists away from ringside? Did anyone else get the "Due to the London attack today.." parental advisory thing on UPN?

Smackdown is going to be fine I think. Unlike Raw there is no Diva search crap to waste all sorts of time, there's more concentration on actual wrestling, etc.

Guest *KNK*
I'm confused as to how it could be offensive. If you think about it as a mark, it's kinda funny. A Muslim summoning terroists after his manager got beat up to beat up a zombie. I was laughing at the segment because it was so damn goofy.

And the Rey/Eddie "secret" angle is starting to make some sense after what happened this week. It's a good ol' fashioned blackmail storyline. I expect that Eddie will continue to torment Rey, making him Eddie's bitch/slave for a while until he finally tells Rey to lie down so he can pin him. Then Rey will snap, crowd will cheer, match signed for PPV, where Rey wins the final blowoff.

Eddy CAN NOT job anymore to Rey. Eddy must win the blowoff.

Hell why not?

I did not watch the show tonight because I was busy with friends. I read the spoilers, and I saw a clip of the Hassan thing which is easily accessible on WWE.com. I'm very well aware of what happened in London.

I'm truly dissapointed and offended after letting the angle not only take place in the first place, but actually be aired on National Television the same exact day that a world disaster took place. This would have never been allowed if it was on 9/11. WWE, UPN...they should be ashamed for even thinking it was okay to let this go.

The WWE's writing team is an absoulte joke. Total idiots. If they can't write better stuff then this, then they are in some serious crap down the line. This was not funny. This was not entertaining. This was not intresting. This was nothing. This was insulting.

I'm sure people are going to be complaining about this and say that they've done worse stuff and no doubt they have, but it just comes to a point where it's like "Why do you even bother watching?"

I won't be watching Smackdown next week. Probably not RAW either. I'm not going to try to make plans to watch the show for most of the summer. I was on the verge of taking a break from watching wrestling cause it got so stale, but when this stupid useless shit just keeps going because people in power get laughs and think of the worse ideas to promote...it gets really old.

I just figured I'd say something.

Eddy CAN NOT job anymore to Rey. Eddy must win the blowoff.

I was pretty sure one of the most basic rules in booking was that the face must win the blowoff.

Besides, Eddy turned heel because he couldn't beat Rey and he's a heel now because he's tormenting Rey due to being unable beat him. Eddy's whole heel character at this point is based off of being unable to beat Rey Mysterio. If Eddy beats Rey then what's the motivation for his character? Why would he still be a heel if he overcame the very thing making him a heel?

My nephew, 14, just called me and the first thing he said was that the Taker segment pissed him off, reminding him of all of the terrorists that are killing people, especially the ones that were beheaded.

"It's a draw, Vince!"

"Great! Prepare for the Saddamites to win all the titles on Smackdown!"

"Saddamites?"

"It's catchy, it's obviously Middle Eastern, and it's something good ol' Americans CAN'T STAND! STAND BACK EVERYONE! HE'S GONNA BOMB SOMETHING!"

It's always fun when they let Daivari speak in English. I thought his "yeah that's about right" line in regard to Teddy Long not understanding the foreign language but guessing what he was saying was good. That was one of the better SD!s in a while and I'm not terribly offended by men in masks beating someone on a fictional wrestling show up but maybe I'm a jerk.

Example... this morning at work, a wrestling fan co-worker asked me if I "heard about London". I immediatley assumed he was telling me Paul London was released but felt better when he said it was bombings in England. Then I felt bad for that.

Wow, just looking at photos of the event on WWE.com - I haven't seen Meanie since he showed up back in ECW all trimmed down with Jasmine St. Claire. It looks like he gained a lot of the fat back.

For those of you who didn't look at the recap...

Dear World Wrestling Entertainment:

What the fuck are you people smoking? How hard is it to call UPN and tell them “Hey, based on what happened today, we’re going to edit out a segment of our show tonight because it’s not appropriate to air.” It wasn’t like Hassan strapped a belt of explosives around Daivari or anything, but anyone that thinks that this wasn’t one of the most tasteless things WWE has put on TV in a LONG time is a complete moron. How about re-airing the Michaels heel turn from RAW in full because you were too stupid to do it when no one was watching on Monday? I know that people are going to tell me “Oh, it wasn’t that bad, stop overreacting”, but the fact that they have to stoop this low just to put heat on Mohammed Hassan is sickening. I guess the “I’m an American, just like you!!” approach wasn’t “edgy” enough. Whoever wrote this drivel should be ashamed of themselves.

Amen.

I was not offended, however I was a bit embarrased to be a wrestling fan at this odd moment in time. I mean it's not like they outright called the masked guys terrorist sects or somethin, however the inference was clear. Actually wwe comes across as being more and more racist, in addition to the bad timing.

Maybe UPN should have blacked out the segment, however whether or not that attack happened today people still would have been mad(clearly as this was being discussed since the spoilers came out tuesday morning), but the bad timing intensifies it.

Actually it looks like karma is biting Vince in the ass, he does something like this to get attention, bad or not, then something happens in the real world that makes him look completely bad. I thought we had seen the end of this in 91 when the Slaughter angle came to an end, but I suppose I was wrong. I would imagine we won't be seeing any replays of this incident on TV but I guess again I am wrong if they are talking about and showing it on wwe.com

I won't go as far as to say I am going to boycott WWE, as they have done countless things to annoy me and offend me in the past but I keep on watching.

However I must say I enjoyed that letter to WWE

One more thing, why was Reys son happy to see Eddie? wouldnt Reys son in kayfabe terms had seen what Eddie had been doing to Rey on tv? unless in kayfabe, Rey didnt let his kids watch the show and find out.

The "terrorist attack" on UT was just a victim of bad timing.

From a wrestling storyline perspective, I thought it was great.

And :lol: at Val being one of the terrorists

I know some people are just saying it was a 'normal' beat-down by a bunch of masked guys, like any other the WWE's done. But obviously, that's bullshit.

Just bad timing? Give me a fucking break. THEY WERE CHOKING HIM WITH PIANO WIRE! How is there GOOD timing for that? Oh, yeah, these masked men, instead of using straps or belts to choke people like pretty much every other attack like it in wrestling history...they just happened to have piano wire lying around, and thought hey, let's use this as the choking weapon? No. It was chosen, specifically. Why? To create something which could be misconstrued as an attempted beheading, without *actually* making it look like beheading.

Having not seen it, maybe I'm wrong. Hell, I'm not actually offended, because I've come to expect crappy storylines like this. But to say that it wouldn't have been bad had it not co-incided with the attack in London is ridiculous, and that it was just bad timing, is just as ridiculous.

To say it's no different from a scene in a movie is complete crap too. Movies aren't filmed in front of live audiences. Movies aren't designed to make people hate the actors for any longer than the movie's run-time. The point of the storyline was to make people HATE Hassan and Daviari. And EVERYONE knows that movies are fake, because movies have never been presented as 'real' outside of documentaries. Some people get that with the WWE, it's storyline. I'm sure there's some people who don't though.

Wow. And to think, I really don't give a crap. This, coupled with the terrible Rey/Eddie angle devlopment's made me turn off from Smackdown anyway.