TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zyn081

Why is Samoa Joe in the X Division?

What would you rather see? Samoa Joe vs. Chris Sabin/Chris Daniels or Samoa Joe vs. Konnan/Lance Hoyt? At least he gets some good matches out of it.

Didn't his match with Abyss in IWA-MS (I believe they had one or two) suck?

Good point, but surely this guy deserves to be fighting against the Ravens, Styles, Browns and Jarretts.

Another factor is will guys in the Heavyweight division be willing to work with him because of his style? I don't see Jarrett looking forward to Ole', Ole' kicks, bootscrapes, and back chops.

Didn't his match with Abyss in IWA-MS (I believe they had one or two) suck?

Could have been better, certainly. Didn't help that it went to a Double CO, but it was disappointing regardless.

Another factor is will guys in the Heavyweight division be willing to work with him because of his style? I don't see Jarrett looking forward to Ole', Ole' kicks, bootscrapes, and back chops.

Jarrett's wrestled everyone from Terry Funk to Vader, I doubt that Joe can do anything to him he hasn't experienced before.

Wrestling X Div wrestlers doesn't strickly mean you're in the X Divison...

They're just using the smaller guys who can bump like crazy early on for him to get him built up into a monster (and over like one) and then move him on into the ME I'd imagine.

Not everyone who watches TNA watches ROH so many won't know him from any other indie guy so immediatly having him in the ME scene wouldn't work.

If this was ROH...yes. But he has to be built up in TNA first. They are sort of doing that with the X-Divison guys and getting good matches and him choking them out. He's the X-Divison Bully.

:S If they are portraying it as so, then yes, its good booking. But are they? And surely this makes him a heel. :huh:

It's not about weight limits, it's about no limits.

I wasnt referring to his weight. His style doesnt scream X Div to me though.

Jarrett's wrestled everyone from Terry Funk to Vader, I doubt that Joe can do anything to him he hasn't experienced before.

According to Steve Corino's ROH shoot, Jarrett backed out of an NWA World Title defense against Shinya Hashimoto because of his stiff striking, and ended up raising political hell through Bob Ryder to try and get out of a tag match where Samoa Joe was on the other end before finally making Zero-One up his plane ticket to Business Class in order to get him in for the match.

According to Steve Corino's ROH shoot, Jarrett backed out of an NWA World Title defense against Shinya Hashimoto because of his stiff striking, and ended up raising political hell through Bob Ryder to try and get out of a tag match where Samoa Joe was on the other end before finally making Zero-One up his plane ticket to Business Class in order to get him in for the match.

I thought you were HTQ for a moment.

JJ the wuss. :P Wheres Carnivalz :D

I thought the thing about Vader was that his stuff looked stiff because it WAS stiff? As fuck?

I thought the thing about Vader was that his stuff looked stiff because it WAS stiff? As fuck?

He was stiff. Just not as stiff as other wrestlers and people think. Bret had said that Goldberg makes Vader look like Michaels.

I have decided that the answer to this question is that TNA brought Joe in to have good matches.

He's going to have a much better match with Sabin, Styles and Daniels than he is with Jarrett, Raven and Monty Brown.

Anyway...it also helps put him over as a monster.

Joe/Raven up here last month had Joe working very loose (and very crappy :( ).

Why did he work loose?

I dont see how he cant work in the ME with people like Raven, Brown and Rhino. The guy worked with Punk, Homicide and Aries in RoH.

Surely, if hes stiff, he would be bettter suited working with people who are a bit more heavier in terms of the division size.

I know the X Div is not about weight, but its about no limits, and so I can see why they want Joe in the X Div to support that. I just personally that he could and should be in the Heavyweight Division and they could have somebody else doing what Joe is now in the X Div.

"I dont see how he cant work in the ME with people like Raven, Brown and Rhino. The guy worked with Punk, Homicide and Aries in RoH."

Raven, Brown and Rhino aren't nearly as good as Punk, Homicide and Aries.

Plus...the bottom line is...Someone who has never bought an RoH tape doesn't even know who Joe is. Building him up through the X division is a really good idea. And...one that, despite the many many many many many TNA critics, most people at least agree has been handled very well.

I agree that keeping him in the X division is a good thing. Actually his match with Sabin was one of the best "X division" matches ever, and the AJ match will be the best. Who really wants to see him going light and working shitty guys like Raven, Abyss, Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Monty Brown, and Rhino?

I agree that keeping him in the X division is a good thing.  Actually his match with Sabin was one of the best "X division" matches ever, and the AJ match will be the best.  Who really wants to see him going light and working shitty guys like Raven, Abyss, Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Monty Brown, and Rhino?

I wouldnt actually describe Raven as being shitty thank you very much. :angry:

And Jeff should be in the X Div, not the World Title scene.

Well, it's hard to use that match as an example.

For the mostpart, Joe wouldn't do half of the stuff he did in that match to your regular ROH guy. And for the mostpart, it wouldn't be sold the same. Necro is crazy enough to take an Exploder bump on his forehead, where-as most (i.e 99%) guys wouldn't be. Hell, he was trading legit punches with Nick Gage about 5/6 hours after the Joe match. Necro just doesn't care. I'm sure Joe does and I'm sure he's a safe worker.

Judging Joe based on a Necro Butcher match is silly. He takes every bump as harshly as he possibly can. Foley told a story about how he didn't wanna work with Joe cause he was afraid of how hard he would hit, but when he was actually in there with him it was nowhere near as bad as he expected.