Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Rob Conway news

Lifted this from the ealry Heat report on Observer:

"Backstage, Maria is with Rob Conway. He says he CONned the fans for the last

two years. He doesn't care about the French. He's the CONman. He'll do things

the CONway."

Thoughts?

He conned the fans into thinking he was a French sympathiser? Well...he sure showed us.

If he starts tricking gullible wrestlers out of their money in a Sgt Bilko type way it could be amusing.

the CONway."

Please tell me he's not going to rip off that horrible Comedy Central show.

Doesn't sound too promising if they're debuting his new character on Sunday Night Heat...watch, he won't even be on RAW, and then in a week or two he'll finally show up, with no explanation as to his new gimmick, other than JR saying something like "Rob Conway's had a new attitude the last couple of weeks."

Wonder if he'll start wrestling in his sunglasses like he did in OVW. Although the "con man" idea fits him, since in his early appearances (pre-Resistance) he played the sneaky heel role perfectly, including doing the "feign leg injury then attack opponent" bit to Rhyno in a very good Velocity match.

Doesn't sound too promising if they're debuting his new character on Sunday Night Heat...watch, he won't even be on RAW, and then in a week or two he'll finally show up, with no explanation as to his new gimmick, other than JR saying something like "Rob Conway's had a new attitude the last couple of weeks."

That's funny 'cause it's true. Sadly, the midcard singles title is held by a heel and there's no logical feud for Conway at this point. And we know how good the writers are at giving characters direction...

Guest Mikazuki
he played the sneaky heel role perfectly, including doing the "feign leg injury then attack opponent" bit to Rhyno in a very good Velocity match.

I remember that. The audience even liked it. :lol

he played the sneaky heel role perfectly, including doing the "feign leg injury then attack opponent" bit to Rhyno in a very good Velocity match.

I remember that. The audience even liked it. :lol

I actually remember him doing that one one of the first Velocity shows against Randy Orton. He won me over with that despite me having no idea who he was. WWE then proceeded to use that spot 50 more times in 2002 and it became less cool.

Guest Fook

Anything to get Conway away from the French thing is a-ok by me.

The problem is that Raw is very light on the face side, so there isn't really anything for him aside from Heat matches with Val Venis and Tajiri.

I guess he could find a partner (Basham? Kerwin?) and go after Hurricane and Rosey.

Wonder if he'll start wrestling in his sunglasses like he did in OVW.  Although the "con man" idea fits him, since in his early appearances (pre-Resistance) he played the sneaky heel role perfectly, including doing the "feign leg injury then attack opponent" bit to Rhyno in a very good Velocity match.

Yeah, he did. I watched the international Heat earlier today, and he wrestled the first minute or so of the match in his glasses. It was great.

I see this gimmick possibly working. You will have the fans not liking him at first for cheating and conning people. Soon some fans (smarks) will start to cheer for the guy and he will go from a heel to a tweener.

It will end up like Eddie Guerrero a few years back with the cheating, but it won't be as successful. I think this gimmick could have a chance as I think Coach and Lawler could get him over. Yes I said Lawler could help get him over and no I am not drunk or high.

Guest Coffey

I marked out for him when I saw him on Sunday Night Heat back before La Résistance when he had long hair and was wearing pink tights. I think he even went over with a Rick Rude style neckbreaker. He impressed the shit out of me back then.

Guest korndogg123

New partner for Rob Conway? Why not his former Lords of the Ring partner Nick "Eugene" Dinsmore? He could fit perfectly with this "conman" gimmick as well by returning as a normal person and immediately turn heel on the fans saying he's conned them for the last year making them think he was retarded. That is unless they have a huge singles push in mind for Conway. Otherwise I'd say they should go for that cause the Eugene gimmick isn't gonna work forever.

I guess he could find a partner (Basham? Kerwin?) and go after Hurricane and Rosey.

Someone explain the Kerwin thing to me. Who did Chavo piss off to be given that gimmick?

He should grow his hair out, work up a nice five o'clock shadow, and talk in a (more) smooth southern accent. He can be the confidence man. And he can call Maria "Freckles".

That would be incredible. So we'll never see it.

I see this gimmick possibly working.  You will have the fans not liking him at first for cheating and conning people.  Soon some fans (smarks) will start to cheer for the guy and he will go from a heel to a tweener. 

It will end up like Eddie Guerrero a few years back with the cheating, but it won't be as successful.  I think this gimmick could have a chance as I think Coach and Lawler could get him over.  Yes I said Lawler could help get him over and no I am not drunk or high.

Lawler made me think of Issac Yankem, DDS as a credible threat when I was little mark. Lawler has cred with the fans and I think he'd work as a manager and have Cole be the heel announcer. Anything to get Lawler to shut up about puppys, ect.

Someone explain the Kerwin thing to me.  Who did Chavo piss off to be given that gimmick?

I imagine it's all so he can not get it over and then they'll have a justifiable reason to axe him.

I haven't seen his new gimmick yet, but the French sympathizer ran its course a long time ago. I can't imagine his new gimmick is much worse.

Damn, now Ive got to watch Heat too this week.

the CONway."

Thoughts?

Its a shoot, a shoot I tell you. 'Creative' have been fooling us the entire time.

I see this gimmick possibly working.  You will have the fans not liking him at first for cheating and conning people.  Soon some fans (smarks) will start to cheer for the guy and he will go from a heel to a tweener. 

It will end up like Eddie Guerrero a few years back with the cheating, but it won't be as successful.  I think this gimmick could have a chance as I think Coach and Lawler could get him over.  Yes I said Lawler could help get him over and no I am not drunk or high.

I like that, but how about him conning heels? :huh: Wouldnt that make him a face.

New partner for Rob Conway? Why not his former Lords of the Ring partner Nick "Eugene" Dinsmore? He could fit perfectly with this "conman" gimmick as well by returning as a normal person and immediately turn heel on the fans saying he's conned them for the last year making them think he was retarded. That is unless they have a huge singles push in mind for Conway. Otherwise I'd say they should go for that cause the Eugene gimmick isn't gonna work forever.

Its will be another shoot, another shoot I tell you. 'Creative' have been fooling us the entire time again.

In all seriousness, its a good idea. LotR were great, even better than the films :bonk: I thought people here wantd Conway getting a singles push, or did people just want him away from La Res? :huh:

Yeah, but in a good way. ;)

Conway was pretty decent last night. And I like his finisher. Lots of way to pull that off, especially against guys who like to springboard off the ropes or climb the turnbuckle. I just hope they don't go with the whole "con man" gimmick, and that it's just a play on his name to do things the "Con Way".

Knowing how overly literal the WWE gets with nicknames, they probably will do the full-blown con man gimmick with him. Chris Masters is a prime example of WWE turning a nickname into a gimmick.

Guest jm29195

Bagwell always looked like a superstar but that was all he had going for him, other than that he was a complete dunce- hopefully Conway can pull it off better- also giving these OVW graduates longer singles pushes and matches will hopefully coax a better moveset out of them that WWE has often denied them whilst in shitty French tag teams.....

Bagwell could've been, should've been, and would've been a star if it weren't for the bulldog from hell and his own attitude.

Hopefully, Conway actually gets some fucking TV time.

Yeah, but in a good way.  ;)

Conway was pretty decent last night. And I like his finisher. Lots of way to pull that off, especially against guys who like to springboard off the ropes or climb the turnbuckle. I just hope they don't go with the whole "con man" gimmick, and that it's just a play on his name to do things the "Con Way".

Yea glad to see he kept the one man version of the la rez au revouir (sp?) coach even dubbed it "the Egotrip" on Heat. so I suppose that is its new name.

However the trunks with the see-thru sides ala brtus beefcake are not very cool.