TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Which DVD's have the best commentaries?

Just curious as to what DVD's have the bexst commentary tracks. I love a good commentary if it gives little tidbits about how they did something, informs me of alternate plans they had, or is very funny.

What are your top DVD's for commentaries?

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Chasing Amy has a pretty hilarious commentary. That Affleck sure is a hoot.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Johnny Depp-Benicio Del Toro-Laila Nabulsi /// Hunter S. Thompson-Laila Nabulsi

Once Upon a Time in Mexico - Robert Rodriguez*

X2: X-Men United - Lauren Shuler Donner-Ralph Winter-Michael Dougherty-Dan Harris-David Hayter

*By the by, any news on a Special Edition/2-disc set for Spy Kids? He mentioned it in SK3 but that was the last I heard of it.

Cabin Fever, shitty movie, but the commentary with the director and two of the male leads is funny as hell.

Young Guns, basicaly commentary from the 3 regulators in the movie who don't get solid work anymore. But it's my favorite movie, so I'm a little bias.

The commentary on "Day of the Dead" is pretty good

Hunter S. Thompsons on "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is the best thing ever.

The group commentary on "Re-Animator". It's like listening to an old group of friends getting together again.

Gotta agree on the "Cabin Fever" commentaries, even though I love that movie

Ichi the Killer (Fun fact: The puddle of cum in the opening is actually real, and from Shinya Tsukamota)

I loved the Mallrats commentary, they just rip on Shannon and Jeremy the entire movie.

You mean "Party of Five's Jeremy London"?

I think Affleck was also referred to as "Phantom's Ben Affleck". This, of course, would lead to the infamous "Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms" joke from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

I also almost forgot how fucking funny the "Clerks" cartoon DVD commentary is. You got to listen to all six episodes back-to-back in order to fully appreciate it.

One needs to divide this into 2 categories, 1)The commentary track where the principals involved either rip the movie or just joke and have a good time (Evil Dead, Kevin Smith flicks) and 2)The ones with actual facinating info on the making of the film (ie Ebert's comments on Casablanca and Citizen Kane, James Cameron & William Wisher on T2, PTA solo on Boogie Nights)

Any DVD with a Roger Ebert commentary: Dark City, Casablanca, Citizen Kane

Boogie Nights (two disc Platinum Edition): Paul Thomas Anderson

All Joe Bob Briggs commentary tracks!

I enjoyed the Oz commentary from Episode 16 of Season 4. It was Tom Fontana, Lee Tergesen (Beecher) & Dean Winters (Ryan O'Reilly). I wish there would be a commentary for each episode since there is only 8 per season, and it was such an ensemble cast, you could get a different person per episode.

On the special features disc of The Incredibles there is a cartoon called "Mr. Incredible and Friends" and you can watch the episode with commentary by Frozone and Mr. Incredible.

Craig T. Nelson and Samuel L. Jackson fucking work the hell out of it, especially Jackson.

Cannibal: The Musical.

Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Dian Bachar, and all the rest of their friends who were in the movie getting plastered on Jagermeister, beer and anything else they find in Trey's house. Listening to Trey's bitching about his breakup with the lead actress then his repeated assertions that they should hit a "titty bar" during the closing credits are particular bright spots.

I enjoyed the Oz commentary from Episode 16 of Season 4. It was Tom Fontana, Lee Tergesen (Beecher) & Dean Winters (Ryan O'Reilly). I wish there would be a commentary for each episode since there is only 8 per season, and it was such an ensemble cast, you could get a different person per episode.

Yeah, that one was good. As soon as O'Reily pops on screen Dean shouts out "It's Me! It's Me!" Also him ripping on Cyril (his real life brother Scott was funny..."Ryyyyyannnn")

Weird Al and Jay Levey's commentary of UHF is full of way more info than anyone would logically need to know about UHF. The if I'm not mistaken Weird Al does have a genius level IQ, so all the detailed info he spits out is probably retained from memory.

Resident Evil and The Sweetest Thing both have hilarious commentaries that include the cast going minutes without looking at the film. I love the part in The Sweetest Thing when the brunnette chick asks Christina Applegate could she come to the set of Jesse with her one day, when she knew that the show had been cancelled for years.

Weird Al and Jay Levey's commentary of UHF is full of way more info than anyone would logically need to know about UHF.  The if I'm not mistaken Weird Al does have a genius level IQ, so all the detailed info he spits out is probably retained from memory.

Not to mention Al gets up to get a donut and we see him onscreen. BTW, UHF ispProbably one of the most packed bargain bin DVDs IMO.