TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

OAO Great American Bash Thread

Forgive me if this was already started, but I scrolled through the topics twice and didn't see anything official.

The GAB card, to me, doesn't look all that terrible. It's nice to see titles being defended (although the Tag Titles deserve better challengers). Eddie and Rey could be good. I don't know, I'm still on the fence about ordering this one.

So anyway- here's the final card. Predictions? Thoughts?

World Championship

Batista © vs. John Bradshaw Layfield

WWE Tag Team Championship

MNM © vs. Road Warrior Animal & Heidenreich

U.S. Championship

Orlando Jordan © vs. Chris Benoit

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio.

If Eddie wins, he will tell Rey's "secret". If he loses, he will never reveal it.

Number One Contender Match

The Undertaker vs. Muhammad Hassan

Bra & Panties Match

Special Referee: Candice Michelle

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson

Booker T vs. Christian

The Mexicools vs. The BWO

Was the bWo's challenge shown on the air on this week's show?

If it was, I missed it. But as they were doing the rundown of the matches, Cole mentioned that the challenge was laid out at WWE.com.

Great American Bash?

That's the kind of discussion that makes the folder so great. I look forward to the "there's a PPV this weekend?" comments.

I'm interested in seeing Eddie-Rey and Benoit-Jordan, and the bWo-Mexicools match, which I assume will happen since challenges rarely get blown off. While the secret for Eddie-Rey is actually pretty stupid, what they're doing with it right now is actually kind of interesting. Once the secret is revealed, no good can come from it. Eddie's got to win at this point just to at least get one win under his belt. The blowoff to the feud had better be something big, like a street fight or something.

I predict Benoit-Jordan to open, and I actually think Benoit might drag something good out of Jordan. It's a win-lose situation though. If Benoit wins, he's in the mid-card division, but if he loses, he jobs to ORLANDO JORDAN. I guess I want Benoit to win just so Jordan can lose the belt already. He's done absolutely nothing of note with it.

Here's my predictions...

Batista

Benoit

Eddie

Taker

Torrie

Christian

Animal & Heidenreich

bWo (London interference?)

Edited by Aero

World Championship

Dave wins leading to either vs. Taker or vs. Taker vs Orton at Summerslam.

Animal is a novelty act. LOD 2.0 dominates but MNM cheat to win.

U.S. Championship

Benoit if they care about the U.S. title at all. Hopefully Benoit-Regal or Benoit-JBL at Summerslam.

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio. If Eddie wins, he will tell Rey's "secret". If he loses, he will never reveal it.

Eddie cannot afford to lose again. Guerrero wins, reveals the secret leading to the blowoff with Rey at SS.

Taker wins in a squash in a special "foregone conclusion" match.

Bra & Panties Match

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson

Eh, Torrie never loses, though with Kidman gone it could easily go the other way via Candice turn.

Booker T vs. Christian

Toughest one to call as Booker has been beat down, but Christian looks to be getting a push. Booker wins, but get's attacked by Christian afterwards.

A loss won't hurt the Blue World Order, and Juvi's feuding with London anyway.

World Championship

Batista. He's too strong and JBL's on the decline.

MNM. No way they put the title on the thrown together duo whose best days are either behind them or will never come.

U.S. Championship

Benoit. Jordan has done nothing with the belt.

If Eddie wins, he will tell Rey's "secret". If he loses, he will never reveal it.

Eddie. If the feud goes until Summer Slam, he has to reveal the secret.

Duh.

Bra & Panties Match

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson

Torrie. Melina may be the best diva on SD, but Torrie has a phenominal track record in T/A matches.

Booker T vs. Christian

Booker. Has to get his win back.

Mexicools. They're being pushed, and the BWO is nothing but jobbers.

Honestly, the only things I'm interested in is the 6-man and Rey's secret. The killing of Hassan decreases my interest in the show greatly, and all the other matches look like easy calls.

Guest fanofcoils

Winners: Batista (leading to Batista-JBL II at Summerslam or Batista-Taker), Benoit (obvious), Rey (and Eddy reveals Rey's secret anyways leading to "the final match" at Summerslam), Taker (another obvious), Melina (because there was a report Torrie was nearly fired before she did the GAB promotional work, I am guessing she still has heat and Melina will be put over here), Christian (I think its time for a is Booker T done? angle), Animal and Heidenreich (this one can go either way), Mexicools (I don't see bWo getting a real push, Mexicools are more important to SD).

World Championship

A good first opponent for Batista, but the outcome isn't exactly in doubt. It is certainly more up in the air than before with the Hassan situation, but I still can't see Batista jobbing here. Match could be a good brawl or complete crap. Depends on how it is booked.

PREDICTION: Batista

The Road Warriors DVD just came out recently, and booking would suggest they make the switch, but there is no way that MNM should be jobbing here and doing so would really dent their credibility. That hasn't stopped WWE before, but I will be optimistic for once. Match will be awful.

PREDICTION: MNM

U.S. Championship

Orlando may be the champion, but he's got no shot here. If given time it has a shot at being the MOTN, but on paper it is a mismatch.

PREDICTION: Chris Benoit

This angle is tanking a feud that was once quite promising. This is wrestling so of course the secret is going to be revealed. Match should be good, but nothing we haven't seen before.

PREDICTION: Eddy Guerrero

Undertaker will and should win. Given the Hassan ban, he can't possibly win. On the bright side, I much prefer Taker/Batista at Summerslam to Hassan/Batista. PREDICTION: Undertaker

Bra & Panties Match

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson

Torrie is in the dog house so hopefully that means Melina wins with or without help from MNM.

PREDICTION: Melina

Booker T vs. Christian

Coming off a number of fairly high profile jobs, Christian needs this win a lot more than Booker does, and with faces going over in most of the other important matches there is a good chance he gets it. Neither guy is a great worker, and I haven't enjoyed their previous matches.

PREDICTION: Christian

This could go either way since there are wrestlers causing problems backstage on both sides, but ideally the Mexicools should win since they actually have potential and the BWO is just another nostalgia act. They have been protecting the Mexicools more than the BWO, so I think that's the way they will go.

PREDICTION: Mexicools

Guest JMA

They need to find a way to get the U.S. title on JBL. It fits his character to have the title. Plus, you could have Jordan break away from the Cabinet and Morley replace him.

The WWE is Retarded, Exhibit 234897B:

Hyping August's PPV matches before July's PPV has even occurred, thus sending the message to viewers GAB just isn't that important.

Hyping August's PPV matches before July's PPV has even occurred, thus sending the message to viewers GAB just isn't that important.

What are you talking about? :huh: Summerslam's only been hyped on RAW....which makes sense. (And I'm talking about the SS promos too) And on SD, I don't even think there's been mention of SS really has there?

This looks like it'll be worth the $15-$20 it'll cost for the DVD. It's looks like a good enough card but nothing screams, "I need to watch this live!" which is the major selling point of a PPV for me.

What are you talking about? :huh: Summerslam's only been hyped on RAW....which makes sense. (And I'm talking about the SS promos too) And on SD, I don't even think there's been mention of SS really has there?

I'm operating from the premise that the people who buy PPVs probably watch both shows.

I say keep Hassan, trade him for Val Venis. Venis becomes Chief Sean Morley again with JBL. Orlando Jordan turns on JBL and starts tagging with Booker T.

World Championship

U.S. Championship

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio

Bra & Panties Match

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson

Booker T vs. Christian

The only thing I can think of is that she is pissed at hubby Kidman getting released. Anyone know of another possible reason?

World Championship

Batista © vs. John Bradshaw Layfield.....I can't see them bringing Batista over to SMDN and jobbing him quickly. Besides, Batista/UT is a new matchup and JBL/UT was shitty last year at SS.

MNM © vs. Road Warrior Animal & Heidenreich.....I'm almost tempted to say the New LOD, but I think common sense will prevail. MNM.

U.S. Championship

Orlando Jordan © vs. Chris Benoit....If Jordan wins I am possibly smashing my TV. This should be a total Malenko/Disco asskicking, just 10 mins or so of Benoit utterly killing Orlando. Jordan is garbage, he's the most heatless guy with a title maybe ever, and at least Benoit could restore some competence to the US title.

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio

If Eddie wins, he will tell Rey's "secret". If he loses, he will never reveal it. Doesn't much matter who wins as long as the secret is revealed. Eddie seriously needs to get the win here and reveal the secret, but I can also see him being a dick and revealing it anyway out of spite if he loses. After all, he lies, cheats, and steals.

The Undertaker vs. Muhammad Hassan....Thankfully this whole Hassan debacle is going to prevent him from picking up a screwy win and becoming #1 contender. Maybe UT will bury him in cement a la Paul Bearer?

Bra & Panties Match

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson....I'll say Torrie wins, simply because everyone's seen her nearly nude (or totally nude) and we haven't checked out Melina much yet.

Booker T vs. Christian....I think Booker T, since he just did a mega job to Christian on SMDN and needs to regain some credibility.

The Mexicools vs. The BWO....Mexicools, for simply being the better team.

Guest Deadbolt

I guess Hassan losing to Taker is a given, but I don't think it will be Taker vs Batista at SS since they're both faces atm. So my guess is that at SS we'll have JBL vs Batista vs Taker a 3-way or maybe even a 4-way if you add Orton.

Anyway for my predictions:

World Championship

Batista © vs. John Bradshaw Layfield - Like everyone else said Batista isn't losing to JBL this time, period.

MNM © vs. Road Warrior Animal & Heidenreich - I just hope they keep it short. Winner MNM.

U.S. Championship

Orlando Jordan © vs. Chris Benoit - No way is Benoit losing to OJ, right? Benoit should win.

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio - Eddie has lost to Rey like 5-6 times, i guess they will let him one win.

The Undertaker vs. Muhammad Hassan....Taker.

Bra & Panties Match

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson - Torrie. I remember how Melina was saying something like "there's no way these people will see me in my bra and panties" - everytime a wwe diva says that chances are we'll see her in that.

Booker T vs. Christian - Booker.

The Mexicools vs. The BWO - Mexicools

wait, why is Torrie in the dog house right now?

Evidently, her backstage attitude pisses people off. I've heard she would have been fired in July if they hadn't put her on the GAB promotional poster.

wait, why is Torrie in the dog house right now?

Evidently, her backstage attitude pisses people off.

Until this month, I've never read one thing about her having a backstage attitude. The stuff I've read this month has been statements that she has a backstage attitude with zero explanation given.

Ermm, my situation kind of sucks because the group I watch PPVs with is purchasing that offer from WWE where you buy the next 3 PPVS at once, and it gives you a mild discount, so I am kind of expected to attend these three, but honestly I have no interest in GAB, besides maybe bWo vs. Mexicools. Getting together with some buddies I only see during the ppvs(due to work/school people being out of town) is always nice, but the though of spending even $5 on GAB kind of has me seriously thinking about breaching this deal.

I don't understand the Eddie/Rey stipulation. So Eddie needs to win his match before he will/can "tell a secret"?

Fuck Eddie finally winning at the GAB. I say have Mysterio win once again here, and while Rey is celebrating, have Eddie knock him out, grab the mic, and revel the secret anyway. It would make Eddie much more hated if he went along with the rules. Not to mention that it would be shocking, since everyone expects Eddie to win anyway.

I don't see their feud ending at SummerSlam. That only gives the a month to work the "secret" angle once it's revealed, and the way they have built it up, it looks like something that could go on for more than just a month. I could see Eddie winning at SS, then extending the feud for another month or two.

World Championship

This could have been saved by some sort of stipulation.

Prediction- **

A total dud.

Prediction- -*

U.S. Championship

Jordan will win by nefarious means. Benoit's too good for the midcard belt, they wouldn't give it to him.

Prediction- **1/4, Jordan's best match ever.

If Eddie doesn't win, I'll be very disappointed. I do NOT want a repeat of the SmackDown match from a few weeks back.

Prediction- ***1/2

Ugly brawl.

Prediction- *1/2

Bra & Panties Match

Melina vs. Torrie Wilson

Sure, whatever.

Booker T vs. Christian

Jesus Christ, one last match and that's it, please.

Prediction- *3/4, -**** on the entertainment scale

This sounds absolutely horrid.

Prediction- 1/2*

This show might be SmackDown's Taboo Tuesday.

If Eddie wins, why would he bother telling Rey's secret? He would have finally gotten what he wanted; a win over Rey. It would make a lot more sense if the stipulation was if Rey wins then Eddie will tell the secret.

That would create no interest in the match, though. The way Rey's been doing anything that Eddie wants, most people would think that Rey just goes in and lays down, which kind of defeats the purpose of a match.

So Undertaker's Great American Bash record will improve to 2-0 with 2 murders?

They need to hype that streak, fuck wrestlemania.