TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

I really hope that was just her quaint, cutesy way of explaining what a ceremonial presiding officer does to a 9 year-old...except its virtually the same thing she said during in the debates.

Olberman had about 4 different videos of her trying to differ from the constitution's job description

Usually Olbermann tries to change the Constitution himself. He rarely needs the help of others.

It's funny when anyone tries to quantify Olbermann as anything more than the liberal equivalent of Limbaugh, Hannity or O'Reilly.

Oh I fully realize he's just the Democratic version of those guys...

I object on the grounds that Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh are all completely different types of partisans.

Hannity: ignore the facts and tow the party line; only have guest on that agree with you.

Limbaugh: stick to your principles, no matter who or what facts say others wise; guest are irrelevant because no one can tell him anything he can't say himself in a more entertaining way.

O'Reilly: on a mission to argue with the other side; have on guests that you can confront.

Of these three, I'd say Olbermann is 65% Hannity (guest philosophy) and 35% Limbaugh (especially his "special comment" rants and value of being entertaining).

To me, Hannity is the worst of the bunch because we will literally tow WHATEVER the Republican Party line of the moment is, with no thought or analysis. Olbermann can be pretty grating because while I appreciate he's calling attention to a lot of things that might get ignored, the one-sidedness of it is disconnected from reality or use of irrational arguments to draw attention away from the faults of Democrats.

Well said.

Yeah, I was just thinking that I must have imagined that special comment Olbermann made when he totally blasted the democrats for not doing what they were voted in to do in 2006.

That's actually a good question that I hope someone responds to (cause I have no idea either) all I know is that I saw she said that she would release them...but that the campaign had no idea before she said it. She likely just fucked up again...but now she kinda painted herself into a corner. It's amazing to me that releasing your medical records isn't mandatory. They have to release all of their financial records...and a candidates health (even for VP...especially under a really old guy) seems a tad important.

Wait a minute, why should it be mandatory to publicly release anyone's private medical records? There's reasons why that stuff is legally considered to be confidential.

It shouldn't be mandatory, but after all the idiot conservatives went on and on about Obama's birth certificate and stuff, Palin should release her medical records.

Wait a minute, why should it be mandatory to publicly release anyone's private medical records? There's reasons why that stuff is legally considered to be confidential.

I generally agree, but not when you're running for the highest or second-highest office in the country. Your life should be about as open as possible in that scenario. I don't give a shit if her kid is hers or whatever, but I'd definitely like to know if Palin/Biden/Obama/McCain have any sort of crippling diseases lurking around in their bodies.

I keep seeing this "I am Joe The Plumber" ad and I'm confused. So it's good to be a guy that was a McCain Plant at a Obama rally that really isn't even a contracted plumber? Why would I want to vote for a guy that glorifies a guy that owes back taxes and lied just so he can make a last ditch effort for votes?

I keep seeing this "I am Joe The Plumber" ad and I'm confused. So it's good to be a guy that was a McCain Plant at a Obama rally that really isn't even a contracted plumber? Why would I want to vote for a guy that glorifies a guy that owes back taxes and lied just so he can make a last ditch effort for votes?

Well to me it's just funny because the guy was obviously just making up a hypothetical scenario, and he just by "coincidence" threw out the amount of "250,000" just to stick it to Obama.

Now, I have no problem with the question itself being asked because it is a valid question and I am sure there are plenty of people legit in that salary range with a small business, but for the GOP to keep referencing this specific guy when he was obviously a fraud is amusing.

Guest Smues

Just dropped my ballot in the outgoing mail. I almost forgot to re-register in time for my absentee ballot, as you have to do it every year in Alaska, which is lame. Especially since I will be out of town on election day this year and really did need an absentee ballot. I should print an obnoxious "I voted" sticked out for myself and wear it for the next two weeks.

Many of our freedoms have been taken away by a liberal Supreme Court and a Democratic majority in both the House and the Senate, and hardly any brave citizen dares to resist the new government policies any more.

Those get dam liberals trying to take our liberties

President Obama nominated two far-Left, American Civil Liberties Union-oriented judges,

Those get dam jew lawyers trying to protect our civil liberties

President Obama repeated his declaration that he personally was against same-sex “marriage”, but he told the nation there was nothing he could do. The Supreme Court had ruled, and it was now the law of the land. The president asked the nation to support the decision.

Those get dam jew lawyers trying to protect our civil liberties and ruling over state's rights

(2) Elementary schools: “The land of the free”? Elementary schools now include compulsory training in varieties of gender identity in Grade 1, including the goodness of homosexuality as one possible personal choice

Those get dam elementary school teaching kids that it's okay to be gay

“The land of the free”? All businesses that

have government contracts at the national, state or local level now have to provide

documentation of equal benefits for same-sex couples.

Those get damn liberals makin sure that gays get the same tax shit as us straight folk

President Obama directed U.S.

intelligence services to cease all wiretapping of alleged terrorist phone calls unless they first

obtained a warrant for each case.

Haha, best one. How dare the president use legal means!

Now that health care is free, it seems everybody wants more of it. The waiting list

for prostate cancer surgery is 3 years. The waiting list for ovarian cancer is 2 years.

I don't even need to say anything.

I'm done, that article is hilarious.

Guest Vitamin X

Wow, that letter is like half gay bashing and half intense conservative evangelical paranoia.

Now that health care is free, it seems everybody wants more of it. The waiting list

for prostate cancer surgery is 3 years. The waiting list for ovarian cancer is 2 years.

I don't even need to say anything.

Wait... why not? The rest of the letter may be ridiculous, but that part actually makes sense. That's my biggest concern regarding government-controlled health care. That exact thing is happening in countries with nationalized medicine; what would stop it from happening here?

Saying that people will have to wait 2 or 3 years to get surgery for cancer? That's just ridiculous. It's urgent, nonelective surgery. I'm on the fence about the health care system, but no where does it take into consideration the fact that 30 million Americans are without health care. No, everybody's just going to want surgery all the time for their diseases.

But hey, that's not really the spirit of the article.

Obama is not advocating socialized or nationalized medicine.

Besides, most of the arguments against socialized medicine can also be made against the HMO-based system we have now. Every Candaian I've heard from is happier with their system than we are with ours.

Palin has no idea what "elitism" actually means, and the definition she does give could easily be applied to herself.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27340370#27340370

She doesn't know what a "precondition" is either.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27328374#27328374

Guest Vitamin X

Cool collection of photos from the Obama campaign. I like the one especially where he does three pull-ups after his staffers did two.

In other news, I unpinned the thread in hopes that maybe we can move to start a new thread for the stretch run of the election, maybe even one for the big day itself. This thread has to die a peaceful death sometime soon.

FOX News & Rush Limbaugh may run stories about how horrible Canadian (or European) health care is, but notice how not even Conservative Party politicians in Canada will even *suggest* messing with the health care system there. Canadians recently voted the guy who introduced the health care system as THE GREATEST CANADIAN IN HISTORY. It's going to be difficult to convince me that Canada's system is very bad. I freakin' *wish* Obama was pushing for Canadian style health care, but, given the clout of the insurance industry here, it ain't happening.

FOX News & Rush Limbaugh may run stories about how horrible Canadian (or European) health care is, but notice how not even Conservative Party politicians in Canada will even *suggest* messing with the health care system there. Canadians recently voted the guy who introduced the health care system as THE GREATEST CANADIAN IN HISTORY. It's going to be difficult to convince me that Canada's system is very bad. I freakin' *wish* Obama was pushing for Canadian style health care, but, given the clout of the insurance industry here, it ain't happening.

Eliminating the tiny amount of competition that exists in the health insurance marketplace in favor of one government-run entity hardly sounds like a good idea to me. If you think prices suck now, just imagine what they'd be like with no competition -- it'd be like taxes, basically (far too high).

Personally, I'd like to see all people below a specific income level to be given state-run health care. Dependant on the income number given, that could remove enough people from the marketplace to cause actual competition amongst the insurance giants, thus driving down prices. Just my opinion, I suppose.

Eliminating the tiny amount of competition that exists in the health insurance marketplace in favor of one government-run entity hardly sounds like a good idea to me. If you think prices suck now, just imagine what they'd be like with no competition -- it'd be like taxes, basically (far too high).

But you see, matt, there are other countries that have this and that hasn't happened. The United States, which has the most market based health care entity in the industrialized world (with the possible exception of Australia--I'm not sure) spends the most on health care (13.9%% of GDP as opposed to, for example, 9.7% for Canada, 9.5% for France, 8.7% for Sweden, & 7.6% for Britian) . And what do we get in return for this massive spending? Substantially poorer health outcomes.

Sign in to follow this