TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

The Ultimate Fighter 2

Gah! I wanted to see some fightin! It's been... 2 days... since the last UFC and I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

Rich Franklin, already, is a buzillion times better than Randy and Chuck. Ace ain't gunna baby ya.

Dana White, thus far, has had more screen time than all the fighters combined. Honest. I clocked it. Don't bother me much, I'm a fan of Sleazy D. Though, no doubt, someone will kick his ass by the end of the season. Loved the Jason Thacker love.

Overall, good show. Solid B. Some potential characters coming out of this, and if last season was any indication, usually the guys you end up liking the most get their face time in later episodes, rather than earlier ones.

Guest jumpingbombangel

I don't know what the hell I just saw. Here we are coming off of last season with names like Griffin, Bonnar, Sanchez, Quarry, Leben...and two guys tonight make Jason Thacker look like Superman and Chris Leben was a crybaby only AFTER the fight.

What the hell was Kenny doing trying to take off 20 lbs. to fight a day later when they obviously cut him for NOT BEING IN SHAPE? Better if he'd quit when they cut him; I would have thought more of him for walking away that way instead of pussying out on Rich and Jorge three hours before weigh-in and mentally giving the finger to everyone else helping him...he was totally regressing to 4-year old instead of gladiator in that steam room.

I do truly feel sorry for Eli, though, as he seemed to have no idea that his privacy was going to be intruded on like this for television and believed the entire first season of TUF was done with magic, smoke, and mirrors instead of sprawling video equipment and endless hours of filming.

I understand the point behind "weeding out the weak", so it makes the UFC look like a tough organization to get into, thus heightening the value of the contracts. But _for the show_, all it really says is "they're not as good as last years bunch", which is a bit odd because, you know, why would you want to watch low quality fighters?

Bonnars Thoughts:

The first episode of the ultimate fighter was f***in’ good, much better than I expected. The intro impressed me, maybe because it contained lots of footage of me fighting. The coaches’ intro pieces were the shit. Highlight reels of Hughes and Franklin fights. Why didn't Randy and Chuck get videos that cool? Porra! (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu guys will get the porra joke.)

Now off to the actual show. I thought Kerry "soul glow" Schalls’ hair was way too greasy. C'mon you don't have a jerry curl. "Gotta let that soul glow." Then off to Eli "Quitter" Joslin. Talking some shit. Could it be a little foreshadowing? Later, I quote him as saying "I'm not gonna quit." Luke "planet neptune" Cummo is probably an alien disguised as a human. I voted him most likely to become a serial killer.

Then you have not one, but two guys wearing kilts. What's up with this? Then they open their mouths and no Scottish accent! Porra!

So we have some hard training, lots of injuries. Everyone icing. Good job of showing how hard it really is. The drama is around Eli quitting, Kerry's injury, and who is the weak link in the welterweight division. Poor Kerry, pulling a Quarry. I really felt for him even though we just got to know him. Definitely a tear-jerking moment.

Then the best line of the whole show from Dana,' Who's gonna be the next Forrest "hillbilly" Griffin?' I guess my jealousy is leaking out. Forrest, Forrest, Forrest (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha).

The second best line is Eli upon quitting saying, "train hard for me." What a lazy bitch.

The first elimination for the welterweights was a cool shocking surprise. Cut Kenny, but let him pick someone to fight to stay. I didn't see that coming and I loved it.

Then he quits too! Here is some advice Kenny, don't cut all your weight in the sauna. Plastic and bundle up and walk on a treadmill.....it's f***ing easy. (Sorry for the profanity, Dana is rubbing off on me.) Then after he quits, comes the third best line of the show. "I would've beaten everyone here." You don't talk shit after quitting!!!

Finally, to cap off the show comes the best part, an emotional speech from Dana. The passion of Dana's speeches can be measured with an instrument called the f***ometer. In this two minute closing speech we had a whopping 17 bleeps for the F word. I think he surpassed the "do you want to be a f***ing fighter" speech on the f***ometer.

Can't wait to see episode two and a fight!!

"And I won't even get into Luke Cummo, because he scares me and if I insult him he may track me down and eat my pets. " -Forrest Griffin

Anyways, I'm going to make a wild guess and say the replacement HW is Dan Christison (teammate of Diego & Jardine). He's had a few decent wins over the past year and definitely fits the "giant" mold at 6'8. He's not exactly in great shape, but I don't think he should have much problem getting down to 265.

In terms of who they're building up in the WW division I'd say Jorge and Melvin are getting the most love, followed by Luke. I really dig the passion that Jorge brings to the table in the way he views his work.

It amazes me that someone would walk out right away like that in Eli's case. What a fucking opportunity you have that you will NEVER get again. The guy should be and might very well be blackballed from really ever making it in MMA. That is the biggest bitch move I've seen an athlete do - even telling Dana and Co. that he would wait it out til the next day to see how he would feel. He didnt even do that. What a fucking little bitch, and then for him to talk himself up before and after the fact, its just pathetic. I would love to hear his thoughts right now after everything has transpired.

Gotta feel sorry for Kerry, he seemed uber-passionate, more than anyone else, about the opportunity he was given but that could have just been well done producing of the show to make him look that way. Either way it sucks to have a guy out from an injury that early on the show. I'm sure, much like Quarry, he will get a chance to do a fight during the finale event.

Kenny is another bitch in the pack - what a fucking loser - he was 3/4 of the way there! If I was Dana I would have been pissed as hell and that speech he made was definately warranted. Makes me wonder how hard of a time they had to get some decent fighters into the mix here.

Makes me wonder how hard of a time they had to get some decent fighters into the mix here.

*cough*pisstests*cough*

Sorry, nearly choked on my breakfast.

Yeah between that and from what I heard, alot of problems with fighters with a questionable past - guess this is what we got.

Guest jumpingbombangel
In terms of who they're building up in the WW division I'd say Jorge and Melvin are getting the most love, followed by Luke. I really dig the passion that Jorge brings to the table in the way he views his work.

I'm feeling the Jorge love, truly. He won me over when I read his profile on the TUF site a few days before yesterday. Dude is 'bout his shit. Luke deserves more attention than Melvin, though. Crazy people habits should be on camera most often.

I've got a friend who's started referring to the show as The Ultimate Dana. I got a picture in my head of Dana White with a painted face doing odd boxercises and yelling expletives about liberal America.

What a letdown with Kenny walking.

I loved "You're the weakest link...now who do you want to fight?"

I freaking popped! But then he soiled it by being a little girl.

I dunno about this season yet. Still don't have all the names down, but Hughes is my favorite MMA guy and I like Franklin, so that should add to the show.

Guest CurryMan

Just watched the first episod, as RRR Rich Franklin is great as a coach. Whats up with all the people walking out? Don´t they understand that is the chance of a lifetime and they are walking out of it, not only for themself but also for the people that they took the opportunity from in the begining for being chosen to be there.

Well I will sure try to get a hold of every episod, has the first season come out on dvd yet? Does any know?

Guest Brian
Well I will sure try to get a hold of every episod, has the first season come out on dvd yet? Does any know?

The DVD gets released sometime in November.

Guest CurryMan

I just watched the clips from the homepage of Spike TV

http://www.spiketv.com/shows/series/ultimatefighter2/ its funny to see Eli takling about he is never quiting and so, and its even more fun when he is talking about being a nightmare in the ring when he was onlye 1-0. One fight and already talking about being a nightmare in the ring. Glad he is away already.

I only watched a few episodes last year, and liked what I saw, so I made a promise to start from the beginning this year.

I'm not a huge MMA follower, but I REALLY liked the first episode. I have to totally agree with the Jorge love, he just seems like he's gonna do his job and kick some ass. Between him and Luke (Love the way he shows everyone up during the wall sit), they're definitely my two favorites on the show. I haven't seen much of the Heavyweight's personalities, and it makes me worry that they just plain don't have much.

Looks like an awesome show, can't wait to see who they bring in as the extra Hweight.

Yeah but Cummo speaks slower which makes him look a lot dumber.

That's true. Sounds like he's not quite sure what's going to come out.

That would make him perfect for ESPN Radio. Decent episode. Reminds me of the first eps of Tough Enough where people think they're gonna breeze through this thing and they get their ass whupped.

From MMAWeekly:

"We saw three fighters eliminated last week on the debut of Ultimate Fighter Season 2. What should we expect tonight? Here's brief preview.

Episode 2 - The Teams Are Picked

Air date: 8/29/2005

The coaches make their choices and Team Hughes battles Team Franklin in the first challenge. The opening fight of the season is a knockout brawl between two welterweights. "

I missed last week, and would appreciate it if someone could u/l or PM me a link for a downloadable version of the first episode, through YSI or something.

Guest Askewniverse

Randy Couture returns!

Melvin's bit with Dana White was pretty funny.

I was sort of hoping that the Right Guard Challenge was going to be a game of red rover.

As it is, two lacklustre rounds so far. I thought Melvin would at least have some explosiveness in him. So far he seems like a shittier version of Kevin Randleman (and I'm not a big Monster fan to begin with).

Not too bad of a fight, that was a nice high kick by Melvin and some solid takedowns by Josh. They both seemed scared to capitalize on any oppurtunity they got which hurt the fight a bit. It seemed that they were allowing/encouraging the teams and coaches to get involved more in this one.

And goddamn did I love me some Rich Franklin Bible Study.

Guest Brian

First three minutes or so of the fight were good, the rest was sort of okay. There were some good moments and I can enjoy what Burkman was doing with the gnp, and some good reversals and nice slams. Alot of inactivity standing and Burkman had his back a few times and just wanted to stay in control/gnp. It was a fine fight, and better than alot of the stuff from last season (squashes, Kos/Leben). Burkman has some nice gnp and Melvin had some good standing.

I marked hard for the right guard cameo/spot/placement with Burkman in the bathroom.

Don't forget the grappling mats sponsored by Transporter 2. Good choice of movie tie-in btw - Jason Staltham does have that MMA look about him.

Match was pretty good when there was action. I suppose they held back a bit because of the possibility of fighting again in a short time - as Dana "Poochie" White noted you don't want to get injured and hurt your chances down the road.

And props to Luke the Serial Killer for proving his worth in the Couture challenge.

Guest AndrewisyourHero

For those interested, here's Forrest and Stephan's thoughts on Episode Two

Stephan

Looks like there's a new heavyweight in the house. Dan Christison looks to be a 6'8'' nightmare. Dammit, Diego's already the nightmare. But he’s big, mean, and beaten some good opponents. My only question is, how did Eli, "The Turd" Joslin get chosen over this guy?

The drama pans over to the sparring session where Jorge's kneecap falls off after throwing a high kick and getting knocked down. Oh...It's not just that his kneecap has slid off, but he is also got a blown ACL. Jorge, "The Brazilian Terminator," tells the doc to tape it up because he is late for the 2nd training session. Jorge makes it quite clear that he would still fight if the leg needed to be amputated. I bet Kerry feels like a wuss now.

Back at the house Melvin is talkin shit!!!Yes!! Nothing like some good shit-talkin’. His housemates in the confessional complain of his ego-dominated self absorption.

Uh oh, here come Matt and Rich to check on the guys to see who's clowning. Oh boy, they look pissed…

...I am daydreaming back to the TUF 1 house..."Hey guys, here come Randy and Chuck." "Oh Shit" exclaims Lodune as he slams his 40oz down the hatch, then quickly stuffs the evidence deep in the trash can. Buzzing off of ice cream bars dunked in tequila, Leben is too busy to notice as he is busting some mad freestyle raps.

...Oh, where were we at? Matt and Rich walk in on the guys...ENGAGING IN BIBLE STUDY!!! Man, I didn't see this one coming. Then they even sit down with the guys, and coach them on reciting scripture.

The big team pick is next. "Guys, don't mean to piss on your parade, but they'll probable make teammates fight each other." Matt goes after the grapplers, where Rich goes after the strikers. Then Rich has the nerve to say that he is more of a stand up guy than Matt. How rude. Matt Hughes is a stand up guy for God's sake; he was reading the bible with you yesterday! He’s a good boy…a good boy!

The teams are set and ready for their first challenge. Along comes Randy, and it looks like he dreamt up the challenge. To be honest, I was a little disappointed. I thought the concept of the challenge was good, but I'd make a few changes. Instead of a dummy, I'd use a real corpse. And I'd have the field filled with manure. Now there's a real Right Guard Challenge.

Luke saves the day by tying up 2 bodies, and suggests going after the maimed Jorge. Instead Josh Burkman goes after Melvin "No Hugs" Guillard. Dana doesn't think this is a good idea at all. You don’t pick the tuff guys first. Wait…I just had Deja Vu.

Then comes the best part of the whole show...DANA, YOUR ASS GOT PUNKED!!! I just loved the look on Dana’s face. He sat in paralysis unable to utter so much as a f***ing word towards Melvin. Rich walked in to unveil the punking just as Dana was reaching for his gun. Damn that was a goood one! Move over Ashton.

Fight time:

Round 1 showed some good grappling and awesome athleticism. Josh had some good positions, but Melvin kept escaping. As the fight progressed, Josh's offense seemed position oriented and Melvin became a little gun shy when standing. When Melvin does let combos fly he looks dangerous and he lands. The fight screamed of Koscheck-Leben as Josh pulled ahead on takedowns and position. Josh does enough to get the decision.

Melvin's face is fine, but Josh broke Melvin’s hand on a tactical block. I would like to propose a new UFC rule. I petition that if a fighter holds a mount for over a minute and fails to throw a single punch, that fighter should be penalized a point. This isn't the case and Melvin gets sent packing. I am very interested in how Melvin and Eli will get along in the sequestered house.

Forrest

Here we are in week two, and don't worry guys, it gets better, much better! If you remember, the first couple of episodes of season one were pretty slow, too.

My first question is how did they fit 18 guys in that house, let alone heavy weights? Have you ever seen what heavy weights do to the plumbing? It’s not pretty. And the food bill must be half the budget for the show.

Dan Christison has come in as a heavyweight replacement. Dan is one of the reasons why I don't fight as a heavyweight.

Matt Hughes does not seem to ever have a doubt about anything. It may be one of the reasons he's such a great fighter.

As the show goes on, we get to see a little surgery action as Jorge gets his knee drained. For a second I thought I was watching the wrong channel. And again, I think the real danger for Jorge is not with his knee but with a stress related heart attack.

A lot of people have been calling the second season guys weak. Well, this is just not true…or at least I thought so until I saw them reading bibles together. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we were getting drunk and jumping in the pool and reading bibles...drunk.

Later, teams are picked and feelings get hurt; nothing new there. Jorge explains that just because Rich and him are best friends, it plays no part in him being picked early on.

Brad was the last heavyweight picked and he may have cried in his cowboy hat.

Oh and I almost forgot that there was a challenge in this episode, Randy "Right Guard" Couture led the Right Guard extreme challenge. The extreme challenge looked like a big man pie and was probably very popular with the guy community.

Melvin played a great joke on Dana which was the best part of the show besides the fight. The look on Dana's face was priceless. Oh Melvin, it’s great to f*** with a guy that could be your future employer, I do it all the time…seriously.

Josh showed some big balls by picking Melvin to fight and then displayed some great wrestling and strength to win the fight. I loved the fight but I just have one question. Why did both guys were tight shorts, is it some kind of conspiracy? Both guys impressed me with their ability and drive. Josh, was that guillotine as tight as it looked? I have a bad feeling that the fight eliminated both guys from the show

Then Rich has the nerve to say that he is more of a stand up guy than Matt. How rude. Matt Hughes is a stand up guy for God's sake; he was reading the bible with you yesterday! He’s a good boy…a good boy!

Bonnar. Is. God.

I really enjoyed the fight as they were active on the ground for the first two rounds and that first round in particular was fantastic.

So far, they've made me a fan of Jorge and Luke, which clearly was their plan. Luke winning the challenge for his team after being picked last was a nice touch in developing his character, and Jorge has just been the (very very gay) man.

The heavies, thus far, have shown no personality.

And the bible study roold.

Bonnar. Is. God.

I hope you're not putting down Forrest, with these gems:

My first question is how did they fit 18 guys in that house, let alone heavy weights? Have you ever seen what heavy weights do to the plumbing? It’s not pretty. And the food bill must be half the budget for the show.

A lot of people have been calling the second season guys weak. Well, this is just not true…or at least I thought so until I saw them reading bibles together. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we were getting drunk and jumping in the pool and reading bibles...drunk.

Brad was the last heavyweight picked and he may have cried in his cowboy hat.

Oh and I almost forgot that there was a challenge in this episode, Randy "Right Guard" Couture led the Right Guard extreme challenge. The extreme challenge looked like a big man pie and was probably very popular with the guy community.

Melvin played a great joke on Dana which was the best part of the show besides the fight. The look on Dana's face was priceless. Oh Melvin, it’s great to f*** with a guy that could be your future employer, I do it all the time…seriously.

My favourite Bonnar line:

...I am daydreaming back to the TUF 1 house..."Hey guys, here come Randy and Chuck." "Oh Shit" exclaims Lodune as he slams his 40oz down the hatch, then quickly stuffs the evidence deep in the trash can. Buzzing off of ice cream bars dunked in tequila, Leben is too busy to notice as he is busting some mad freestyle raps.

Obviously, these two are having way too much fun trying to outrecap each other.