TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

My Name Is Earl

I had to recheck my HD-Tivo for the "High Def Rocks" spot..lo and behold there it is.

And I don't know whats so odd about comedies in Widescreen. Just about all the comedies right now on TV are in Widescreen, I cant think of one that isn't, not counting Fox's Animation shows on Sunday.

Except Commander-In-Chief really isn't very good.

And that matters because?

It IS somewhat shabby to be stuck behind a show that isn't very good.

Come on, has anyone actually WATCHED this show? Its not so bad that Geena Davis is the Pesident, but her kids are these cookie-cutter kids you see on every show, including the "cute" daughter who JUST SAYS THE DARNEDEST THINGS. Its like "West Wing" and "7th Heaven" had a baby together, and ABC decided to air it.

Okay, let me explain this as simply as possible:

I've watched "My Name is Earl".

I've also watched "Commander in Chief".

"My Name is Earl" is a better show that "Commander in Chief", in my opinion.

Therefore, I believe that it is unfortunate that "My Name is Earl" gets less viewers than "Commander in Chief".

Unless you want to step up and defend the honor of a show you have NOT seen, and explain why "Commander in Chief" deserves its better rating, please allow me to have my opinion.

Yes, I'll admit it. My earlier post was my opinion. That should've been easy enough for people to figure out based on the fact I was making a value judgement without quantitative evidence. I don't think anyone needs you pointing out that something I said was my opinion. I think people can figure that out on their own.

Where we have another problem is when you correct me and tell my opinion is wrong, and then fall back on other people's opinions to justify it. I honestly don't give a flying crap what the critics have to say about "Commander in Chief", because I have my own first hand experience to go by. The show isn't as good as "My Name is Earl".

Thus: the ratings for "My Name is Earl" are shabby, in my opinion, because they are smaller than those of a show which less people should be watching due to poorer quality.

Except Commander-In-Chief really isn't very good.

And that matters because?

It IS somewhat shabby to be stuck behind a show that isn't very good.

Except that show quality doesn't always translate to ratings. 'Commander-in-Chief' may suck (don't know, haven't watched it) but people are funny, and if they've decided that this is a show they want to watch, they'll watch it, no matter what. I know I did that with 'Dark Angel', and the second season was hella-bad.

Which brings me to my 'not too shabby' comment, and my need to elaborate a bit. You're number two in the timeslot (going up against the best reality show around (well, maybe not this particular season) and a show that the 'Oprah'/Rodham crowd probably loves), you bring the ratings up about 3 points from 'The Biggest Loser', and you're the highest rated comedy NBC has. To me, that doesn't seem too bad.

"Where?" is my question too. The "Fine Tuning" column in the paper here (which I assume is syndicated in many Canadian papers under the Can-West banner) always rips on the show and implies it hasn't received one good review.

Guest El Satanico

On a quick google search, I found more positive reviews than negetive. Didn't find any glowing "omg best show ever" reviews, but positive none the less.

Of course, I don't know why any of this matters or why we're discussing it. Ratings have nothing to do with show quality, and second for the time slot is good for any show going against other shows with good ratings.

Which brings me to my 'not too shabby' comment, and my need to elaborate a bit. You're number two in the timeslot (going up against the best reality show around (well, maybe not this particular season) and a show that the 'Oprah'/Rodham crowd probably loves), you bring the ratings up about 3 points from 'The Biggest Loser', and you're the highest rated comedy NBC has. To me, that doesn't seem too bad.

I see your point, since "not to shabby" is too subjective a term to really be able to agree or disagree over.

I was mostly just expressing my distaste for "Commander in Chief".

Take this week's show for instance. President Geena has to nominate a new VP, so who does she pick? The guy she ran against for VP in the last election. They show a flashback to the VP debate where the guy basically admits that the only reason he's on the ticket is because he's a retired general and the nominee he's supporting is thought of as a wimp. Hollywood writers may consider this an example of witty writing, but in reality the guy'd get kicked off the ticket faster than Tom Eagleton at a psychiatric convention.

The subplot involved the oldest daughter losing her diary, and everyone's in panic mode over it because it may contain damaging information about President Geena. However, turns out the youngest daughter had it the whole time, as revealed in a cute scene that I'm sure was stolen from an episode of "Full House". The youngest daughter's only role on the show seems to be to say and do cute things, and I was ready to murder her within 15 minutes of the show's opening.

Next week's show apprently revolves around how the oldest son's now the popular choice for girls at his school to "loose it" to, since he's now the First Son. I bet Mary Cheney sure wishes her dad had to assume the presidency.

I wasn't kidding when I said this show was "West Wing" meets "7th Heaven".

Guest Askewniverse

NBC is re-airing the previous three episodes tonight. If you haven't watched MNIE yet, give it a shot.

Whew, the maid in a bikini and it's not enough to get this thread bumped to the 1st page. My least favorite of the 4 eps so far but still good.

The scene w/ Earl and the maid (I forget her name) in bed fully clothed was telegraphed but still somehow brilliant at the same time.

"It's Karma's army! Made up of people from all the lands!"

That and the guy's Earl impression were great, and I've been waiting for them to bring up that Randy doesn't technically have to help Earl with his list.

"Why are you burning a swastika on my lawn?"

Hilarious episode tonight. The best blend of comedy and drama in an Earl episode all year.

Randy really stole the show tonight. Ethan Suplee is very, very talented.

Great stuff. I think Earl and Office are just about even in terms of quality this year.

I was wondering how the $100K (or whatever he has left) was going to cover the wedding, but then they kinda answered that for me - Joy's white trash in a small town.

Also, I can't blame Randy for staring at Catalina's dancing.