TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest stringerbell

update on the Dudley Boyz' situation

Guest stringerbell

To update the Dudley Boyz' situation, they have told TNA management that they have come up with a new gimmick that doesn't potentially infringe upon the names, attire and catch-phrases that WWE's legal department is claiming the Dudleyz don't have permission to use. Devon Hughes (D-Von) and Mark LoMonico (Buh Buh) have reportedly run the idea by Joey Styles, who says it's better than the Dudley gimmick, originally created by Raven in ECW as a spoof of the Slapshot Hansen Brothers characters. They plan to trademark it before bringing it to TNA.

I'm sure it will suck. I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, I can see it working. The Hansen brothers were awesome. Just come to the ring in Hockey jerseys (unless the 'E' copyrighted them ever wearing jerseys) and beat the shit out of guys. Rename the 3-D the "Slapshot" or something but no Hockey sticks.

Just call them Mark and Devon, those aren't exactly horrible names and it's not like the crowd won't still chant "Dudleys" at them. WWE thinks they can silence them but there is nothing they can do about fans...unless they plan on suing anyone who calls them the Dudleys from the seats as well.

If WWE could, they would probrably try to get a court injunction against fans chanting things they don't want. Don't think they wouldn't try it if it were plausible.

You know, I think I just got a court order from the WWE lawyers to stop thinking the words "3-D" and "Dudley"

2Gold, the new gimmick isn't a Hanson brother parody, the original Dudley gimmick was.

They should come out relatively normal and just let the fans do the signature spots ... e.g. have Mark push Devon, and then the fans will yell "Devon, get the Tables". Do a variation of the 3D and have the fans yell "3D". Get Devon on the top rope and have the fans yell, "Wasss ..." wait, nevermind, don't bring the wassup drop back.

It wouldn't be hard to have plants in the audience to encourage the fans to yell what they want them to yell ... after just a few weeks the fans'll pick up on it and do it on their own.

2Gold, the new gimmick isn't a Hanson brother parody, the original Dudley gimmick was. 

They should come out relatively normal and just let the fans do the signature spots ... e.g. have Mark push Devon, and then the fans will yell "Devon, get the Tables".  Do a variation of the 3D and have the fans yell "3D".  Get Devon on the top rope and have the fans yell, "Wasss ..." wait, nevermind, don't bring the wassup drop back.

It wouldn't be hard to have plants in the audience to encourage the fans to yell what they want them to yell ... after just a few weeks the fans'll pick up on it and do it on their own.

'

In the words of Jared Leto on My SoCalled life:

I CAN'T READ OK!

And yeah, it's not like the WWE can stop them from being the Dudleys. Just have an announcer say "Mark and Devon" then let the crowd finish. Hell, any crowd with half a brain cell will be able to finish it.

Then they don't need a new gimmick, they can just be the Dudleys. And no one can stop the announcers from calling Devon by his name so it won't even be that different.

This was just a stupid lawsuit by Vince and company.

While it'd be really petty, and no better than the Billionaire Ted skits, I'd kind of laugh if their new gimmick was a McMahon 'parody'.

Keep the whole inbred hick persona, but be Mark & Devon McMahon. It's not any worse than calling Virgil by that name to mock Dusty ... or by calling the same guy "Vincent" to mock VKM.

While it'd be really petty, and no better than the Billionaire Ted skits, I'd kind of laugh if their new gimmick was a McMahon 'parody'.

Keep the whole inbred hick persona, but be Mark & Devon McMahon.  It's not any worse than calling Virgil by that name to mock Dusty ... or by calling the same guy "Vincent" to mock VKM.

Or Shane to mock Vince's son.

How about calling them the "Duds?"

Team Extreme?

Team Extreme is almost certainly still copyrighted by WWE(that was the formal name of the Hardys and Lita, if you don't recall)

Team Extreme is almost certainly still copyrighted by WWE(that was the formal name of the Hardys and Lita, if you don't recall)

WWE used the lame "Xtreme" in place of "Extreme", though. Still, WWE would probably throw a hissy fit.

Well, not knowing what the new gimmick is, I would call them "The D Brothers - Devon and Double B" or something like that. Either that, or go with a "realistic" gimmick where they come out and use their real names and talk about how they're sick of acting the same way after the last eight years, and have them be asshole heels.

Considering how smart Mark is (Anyone who is curious check out the interview the guys at Between The Ropes did with him, you'll see what I mean), I am sure the gimmick they came up with will work just fine, no matter what.

I just want to see the renamed 3D again... every time I see it I mark like a 10 year old... I don;t know why, but I do. Hell I about planted my head in my ceiling when they did it to Bischoff at ONS.

I guess I've hated the Dudleyz ever since 2001 or so...it's not that they're bad workers...they just got SO stale. If I hear "D-VON! GET THE TABLES!" ever again, I think I'll puke. The whole idea of putting someone through a table seems so pointless and 1997.

Guest netslob
I just want to see the renamed 3D again... every time I see it I mark like a 10 year old... I don;t know why, but I do. Hell I about planted my head in my ceiling when they did it to Bischoff at ONS.

you mean there still able to do the 3D? i know they can't call it that, but they can still do the actual move? wow, Vince sure is fuckin' generous. :rolleyes:

I guess I've hated the Dudleyz ever since 2001 or so...it's not that they're bad workers...they just got SO stale. If I hear "D-VON! GET THE TABLES!" ever again, I think I'll puke. The whole idea of putting someone through a table seems so pointless and 1997.

The Dudleyz have become stale over the last couple of years, but having to change is probably the best thing for them. With some new names and a fresher gimmick, we might see something more than the typical run-of-the-mill Dudz we've seen for the last 6 years.

you mean there still able to do the 3D? i know they can't call it that, but they can still do the actual move? wow, Vince sure is fuckin' generous. :rolleyes:

I don't think you can copyright actual moves. If so, Nova would be rich by now.

I don't think you can copyright actual moves. If so, Nova would be rich by now.

He invented copyrighting.

The should just come out and be called the Gangstarz and still come out in the camo gear. Oh and natural born killers as their theme. That way New Jack will be even more pissed off with them for stealing "his gimmick". We might even get a homocide in TNA.