TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

So Fire Pro R is back

That review basically sold it on the deathmatch elements...Which is fine, I suppose. There's no other game on the market with so many deathmatch possibilities.

Kinda no-sold the rest of it off a little...Sounds like they were playing on a low difficulty and still got their asses kicked. I've never really gotten the whole "Fire Pro has a steep learning curve" thing. Going back from the modern Fire Pro's to play XP, Special, Queens Special, and others IS a huge step due to the timing...but the newer games are pretty easy to learn I think. R should be even easier since the AI are programmed to do specific things, so usually no cheap cheese pins.

Looks like it is shipping earlier than expected. Got this from Amazon today.

We are writing about the order you placed on September 18 2007 13:22 PDT

(Order# ). The item(s) listed below will actually

ship sooner than we originally expected:

"Fire Pro Wrestling Returns" [Video Game]

Estimated arrival date: 11/08/2007

Sweet. I really hope that's accurate. It'd give me some more time to play the game before the late-semester/finals crunch at school.

GamingRing interviews Agetec Producer - http://gamingring.com/grdesign/displaynews...p;ucat=1,3&

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns Coverage: Interview with Agetec Producer Hiro Fukuoka

Posted on 05 Oct 2007 by Mike Regan

Gamingring.com had a chance to interview Agetec the publisher who is bringing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns to the US. You can expect more coverage to come in the upcoming days. The questions were answered by Hiro Fukuoka, Agetec Producer for Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.

1. For those who are not familiar with the Fire Pro Wrestling series can you tell us a bit of the history of the game?

Sure. Fire Pro Wrestling first made its appearance in Japan in 1989, and immediately set the standard for gameplay depth. Since then, over 20 games have been released in the series, and it has gained a rabid fan following. The series is known worldwide for its unparalleled customization options and accuracy to the sport. Basically, if it can happen in pro wrestling, then it can happen in Fire Pro!

2. Is there any plans on bringing the Fire Pro series over to other platforms. I think an Xbox Arcade version of the game would sell very well.

Great point, but we'll have to see how this version does! We're bringing over the definitive version of Fire Pro Wrestling to North America. If it catches on with wrestling fans here, who knows!

3. What are some of the difficulties you faced on bringing over the Fire Pro series and translating it to the English market?

By virtue of the engine, dealing with the character limit for English text was the most difficult task we had. Whereas you can say more with less characters using the Japanese kanji, we had to use a lot of abbreviations in translating to English. Wrestling fans shouldn't have any problem decoding our shorthand, but casual fans will probably be left scratching their heads wondering what a Dbl Undhk BrnBst (this is not used in the game but you know...) is.

4. Will there be any enhancements or differences over the Japanese version of the game?

We're changing the controls to the American standard in the menu screens (X is move forward rather than back, and Triangle button is cancel/back), but other than that and translation we're leaving everything as is. We feel that Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is THE definitive wrestling title, and to do changes beyond that is a disservice to the game and to its fans.

5. As you may know there has been some feedback on the choice of cover art for the game. Why was the decision made to go in that particular art direction? Some of the characters on the box art look very familiar.

We read the fan message boards and have seen what the Fire Pro fans think of the cover art. Obviously, we don't want to upset the Fire Pro fans who are to thank for getting this title over to North America in the first place, but you also have to remember that there's millions of other people who have no idea what Fire Pro is. For many, our cover art is going to be the one and only chance to get people to notice the game. We don't have a big advertising budget by any stretch of the imagination. So we designed the cover art to first and foremost get noticed - to make a wrestling game fan pick up the game and read the back of the box, and hopefully that will entice them to give the game a chance.

6. What do you think is the number one selling point of this game? And why should the average wrestling game fan pick this title over your competitor's higher priced game.

Player options. You can create any wrestler, any match...pretty much anything your mind can think up with Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. Plus, the game plays better than any other game on the market. I guess that's two things...but honestly, if I could just let every person who's ever purchased a wrestling game know that this game has the deepest wrestler creation options and gameplay on the market, it will hopefully do well.

7. Was there some resistance by Sony to bring this game over to the American market?

Not at all. We've been fans of the Fire Pro series for years. We presented it to them, and they thought it was a great idea.

8. If Fire Pro Returns sells well is it Agetec's intent to pursue to publish other Japanese wrestling titles made by Spike and other Japanese developers.

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns will definitely be testing the waters. Is there a market for a wrestling game that doesn't have a big league attached to it? We'll find out

Again I would like to thank you for bringing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns to the US. I have been along time supporter of this game and I listed Fire Pro Returns and Fire Pro Wrestling D as the number 1 and 2 ranked wrestling game of all time.

I haven't felt this excited about a game coming out in a long, long time. I feel as if I'm 10 years old all over again.

When this thing hits the market is it going to be carried by the major retail chains or am I going to have to order it online?

You probably can get it at GameStop. Amazon's offering it for $14.99, so I just ordered it from there along with the new WrestleCrap book.

Edited by KingPK

I haven't felt this excited about a game coming out in a long, long time. I feel as if I'm 10 years old all over again.

When this thing hits the market is it going to be carried by the major retail chains or am I going to have to order it online?

I'd go with online. You never know what those kinds of stores are going to get in, and how many copies if at all.

With this coming out soon, I've been on a kick of playing different wrestling games I've never played before. So I downloaded Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and had a blast, downloaded some old favorites like No Mercy and WCW Revenge, and then I made the mistake of buying Galactic Wrestling for the PS2 for about 7 dollars. Probably would be a fun arcade game, but definitely not my cup of tea. So what I'm getting to is this, has there ever been a fire pro for the N64 or playstation?

thank you

Fire Pro G is the game you want. It's available on ebay right now.

Also, there is another PS2 release called Fire Pro Z, also an import, but still worth checking out for the sheer fact that it's the last game to have any sort of "Victory Road" mode in it in the FPW series.

Well if I go for that I'll probably have to get that flip top, and might as well go for KOC 2 to see how well that lives up to hype.

KOC2 is great for long, drawn out (in a good way, lol) matches with lots of psychology, etc. IMO, of course. It's probably one of the most realistic wrestling games out there for simming, too.

I know its early but does anyone have a website that gives you the real names for all of the characters in the game? After I get the game I'd like to edit characters to their real names if possible and figured the people on this board might be able to point me in the right direction on that. Thanks.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I know its early but does anyone have a website that gives you the real names for all of the characters in the game? After I get the game I'd like to edit characters to their real names if possible and figured the people on this board might be able to point me in the right direction on that. Thanks.

Ditto. I don't know any of the Japanese wrestlers but if I could change the names of the American guys I know based on a list somewhere, that would make me much more likely to buy this game.

Thanks Aero, much appreciated. I hope to pick up the game from a local Gamestop store on the 13th but I imagine it won't be in until several days later because its a cheap release. I'm really excited to give this game a shot, though, as I've been starved from a real wrestling game for years and have never played a Fire Pro game.

Looking at the names its heavy Japan (not a surprise) so I guess the new task will be to find a CAW list somewhere so I can create some old WWF guys. Granted, I could buy a MAX drive but haven't given it much thought lately.

Danville, check out www.fireproclub.com - there're tons of faqs, move guides, rename lists, etc. over there, and if you go into the forums, there'll probably be some edits trickling in after the game gets released.

I went into Gamestop to see if i could preorder mine and they have no info on when it will be released instore only that it will be released online.

I have the money down for a reserve at GameCrazy, but I also have a reserve for Phoenix Wright 3 that they've yet to recieve, so I don't know if I should hold my breath on getting Fire Pro at the release date there.

Im not gonna hold my breath for it i guess i could wait a few more days or i could just reserve it on Amazon.

15 bucks and about 300 plus wrestlers plus insane crazy matches with 500 more spaces to create? So what's the downside to this from the people who have been able to play the games in the past. Is there one?

15 bucks and about 300 plus wrestlers plus insane crazy matches with 500 more spaces to create? So what's the downside to this from the people who have been able to play the games in the past. Is there one?

If you're a graphics type guy, this series sort of sucks, but gameplay, it's quite superb actually. Well actually another downside is they don't really seem to distinguish the difference between a finisher and a regular move. I guess it's more in line with Japan though where even an elbow strike finishes a guy as much as a burning hammer does.

If you're a graphics type guy, this series sort of sucks, but gameplay, it's quite superb actually. Well actually another downside is they don't really seem to distinguish the difference between a finisher and a regular move. I guess it's more in line with Japan though where even an elbow strike finishes a guy as much as a burning hammer does.

That's not really correct. You can set an elbowstrike as a finisher, but it's definitely not going to do as much damage as a Burning Hammer that's set as a finisher. There are lots of attributes factored into how much damage a move does... wrestler fighting style, whether or not they have "one-hit finisher" in their critical skill, whether or not they have "finisher" as their special skill, offense/defense attributes - ie: if you have low points in striking then your elbowstrike finisher is pretty much rendered useless, and so on...