TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

The OaO Arrested Development Season 3 thread

Guest El Satanico

That just seems like the reporter is adding two and two and getting what he assumes to be four.

Doesn't sound like official word from Fox.

I got an idea for what you can do...why don't you fucking fire your complete marketing team, alright? Get a new one in there that knows how to market a show that won five motherfucking Emmys, Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild Awards, Writers Guild Awards, Directors Guild Awards, Producers Guild Awards, Critics' Top Ten lists. You know, if you can't market that kind of show and get better ratings, then maybe the problem doesn't lie here [on the set]. Maybe it lies with marketing.

-David Cross

Goddamnit, life really isn't fair. Well, I knew it would be ancelled eventually, but still, Goddamnit.

I got an idea for what you can do...why don't you fucking fire your complete marketing team, alright? Get a new one in there that knows how to market a show that won five motherfucking Emmys, Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild Awards, Writers Guild Awards, Directors Guild Awards, Producers Guild Awards, Critics' Top Ten lists. You know, if you can't market that kind of show and get better ratings, then maybe the problem doesn't lie here [on the set]. Maybe it lies with marketing.

-David Cross

My favorite part of the special features on the DVD.

If it is gone, I can't really blame FOX since they gave it a bunch of chances to succeed.

I just hope they can somehow wrap up the show and payoff all the storylines.

They gave it the post Simpsons time slot for two seasons.

I remember them promoting it quite a bit back in the day, but the show is so hard to promote because of the way the jokes work. The ads for AD were always not funny, because all the jokes are just payoffs of other jokes it seems.

Guest Askewniverse

Dammit. Now I have to wait another fucking month for new episodes? And cutting down the order again? Bastards.

What the hell are people watching on Monday nights?

Guest FileCabinet

Wife Swap, King of Queens, Surface, and 7th Heaven.

I hope they atleast get to resolve the "Kitty and the cooler" story.

Guest Evolution

Wife Swap, King of Queens, Surface, and 7th Heaven.

I hope they atleast get to resolve the "Kitty and the cooler" story.

I heard Surface was actually not good. Is this not true? Or am I thinking of Threshold?

Guest OSIcon
I remember them promoting it quite a bit back in the day, but the show is so hard to promote because of the way the jokes work. The ads for AD were always not funny, because all the jokes are just payoffs of other jokes it seems.

That is why you can't promote it like any other sitcom. All they've really done in terms of marketing is the standard "This is a funny show" ads with clips that are supposed to show that. Like you said, the clips don't come off as being funny most of the time because they aren't jokes that are funny in stand alone clips. That is the problem. Just showing ads for a show doesn't equal good marketing. In fact, you could make the case that the ads hurt Arrested Development because they were regular sitcom ads for a show that is not a regular sitcom. It a show is being promoted as a regular sitcom but the jokes in the ads aren't funny as stand alone jokes, people aren't going to tune it.

They needed to harp on what makes AD so funny. Hype the marathons like the season two one they ran during the summer in order to give people a chance to get in on a good starting point. Not to mention, that for a show that one so many awards, you didn't hear NEARLY enough about the awards from FOX.

Guest El Satanico

The CNN article and the Yahoo article are the same article, so it's still just one source reporting it as cancelled.

Guest Retro Rob
Dammit. Now I have to wait another fucking month for new episodes? And cutting down the order again? Bastards.

Football

some other network will pick it up (NBC most likely due to the show's ties with Larry David). Fox doesn't know what quality TV is anymore and that's why they're at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the major stations.

some other network will pick it up (NBC most likely due to the show's ties with Larry David). Fox doesn't know what quality TV is anymore and that's why they're at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the major stations.

What other shows have been picked up this way in recent years? I can't keep up with a majority of US television. I'd like to think they have a decent shot, seeing as AD is so loved by the critics, a station having it would only help them, even if the ratings aren't the best.

What other shows have been picked up this way in recent years? I can't keep up with a majority of US television. I'd like to think they have a decent shot, seeing as AD is so loved by the critics, a station having it would only help them, even if the ratings aren't the best.

Grounded for Life was a FOX show that went to WB. If I remember correctly, How I met your mother was originally set to be a Fox show but they didn't like the pilot. Course Buffy went from WB to UPN, but that didn't work too well.

It's happened before, just not many have been successful. I think JAG is the only one recently that made a move and survived a long time.

Except they barely promoted it. I can't hear enough about Prison Break

Prison Break reruns actually had better ratings than new episodes of AD and Kitchen Confidential. Prison Break is Fox's highest rated new show. The only problem is they are screwing around with Prison Break as well by putting it on HOLD from November 28th to May or June.

And Im pissed that KC got the axe too...I hope they put it out on DVD.

From TV guide:

HYSTERICAL DEVELOPMENT: Leave it to Arrested Development to mine the tragedy of its imminent death for laughs. Per Variety, series creator Mitch Hurwitz is planning an episode that will poke fun at Fox's decision to reduce the show's episode order from 22 to 13, effectively canceling it. In the episode, titled "S.O.B." for "Save Our Bluths," the Bluth clan considers throwing a fund-raiser to save their construction company from shutting down. In one scene, Jason Bateman's Michael notes, "Our backs are against the wall.... It's just hard for me to accept that it's really come to begging." There's even a conversation about whether the Home Builders Organization — HBO — might be willing to come to their rescue. That idea is quickly nixed though, leading George Sr. to say, "I guess it's Showtime. We'll put on some kind of show at the [fund-raiser]." Meanwhile, after reading this item on TVGuide.com, the American public released the following statement: "Huh? I don't get that last joke. I told you this show was dumb."

This post makes no sense.