TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

TNA Comments which don't warrant a thread

From Rajah.com:

"Kurt Angle will make an appearance at the United Fan Con on November 11th in Springfield, MA. William Shatner, Peter Tork and Davey Jones are also scheduled to appear at the event."

Apparently the event is for fans of anything.

It's as if it was tailor made for me...Monkees~!

Guest Connzilla
Nash doesn't suck.

With Alex Shelly on the mic Nash is good. In the ring Nash sucks.

Interesting article from the Torch:

CALDWELL: It's make-or-break time for TNA after taking two huge risks

Oct 20, 2006, 01:10

The cat's out of the bags, folks. We've all had our first live look at Kurt Angle inside a TNA ring. We also had our first confrontation between Angle and Samoa Joe on TV. It was a risky move to say the least.

Going into this show, the big question was whether the risk of giving away the first visual of Angle and Joe touching inside a ring would pay off. At first blush, I believe it could pay major dividends.

I've reviewed TNA Impact since it debuted on FSN in June 2004. Not once do I remember that much crowd heat for one segment like Joe and Angle in the ring together. Not once do I remember a better ten minutes of TV with Angle-Joe and the Fozzy music video. TNA went against booking 101, which says Angle and Joe should have been separated for months until their first PPV match, and delivered their finest house salad with a side of ranch to get viewers itching for the filet mignon.

This promotion has traditionally been afraid of taking risks. For two years, I've written about TNA being very comfortable in their Orlando comfort zone. There has been a constant feeling of old hat to Jarrett's booking style that is more about comfort, with heavy dependence on Memphis 1970 and Thunder 1999, and no desire to advance the product to the year 2006.

Finally, TNA is taking risks. They brought in Kurt Angle, which is the biggest risk TNA has ever taken. No one can be certain that Angle is healthy. His credibility was shot during his conference call on Tuesday and TNA's health monitoring isn't on the level of WWE's. It's impossible because Angle only has to show up in Orlando for three days out of a 30-day month.

From a booking standpoint, they took a risk by defying booking logic 101. And the fans loved it. They created a hot atmosphere that made Joe and made Angle look stronger than when he was on ECW two months ago. It also made TNA relevant.

They lucked out when Game 7 of the N.L.C.S. ended mere minutes before the Angle-Joe segment. For the first time in a long time, the final quarter hour of the show will probably do the highest quarter.

The show was odd, though. It felt more like a "three weeks until the PPV" type of show with a teased babyface turn from Jarrett, heels attacking heels, Joe distancing himself from his match opponents, Jarrett making a five-second cameo at the end, another Sting video package, and the X Division babyfaces being buried.

Let's try to forget about the ugly Jake Roberts segment. Those are the type of segments that hinder TNA's growth and acceptance by casual wrestling fans.

I believe it was a case of Vince Russo and Co. being overzealous to book intriguing TV angles that they didn't necessarily advance the issues leading to the PPV. Fortunately, they got away with it because the Fozzy music video at the end of the show sold some PPVs and made TNA appear relevant with Chris Jericho appearing on Impact.

Remember, this promotion has historically been afraid of change. For four years, they've been afraid of pushing the X Division as the featured division on TV. We saw it on this show where they buried Chris Sabin and Jay Lethal. At this point, the only thing that can save them is a heel turn. There's a wide open door for Sabin, Lethal, and Dutt as the new Outsiders. (No, not as Hall and Nash, but as the greaser kids from S.E. Hinton's 1967 literary masterpiece.)

Getting back to Angle and Angle-Joe, there is a downside to the two major risks. Angle could be completely unhealthy and he could possibly never have a PPV match for TNA. The other risk is that fans may not pay to see Angle-Joe, if it were to happen, because TNA gave away the first confrontation on free TV. I can't answer to the former risk, especially after Angle's conference call, but I will say they set themselves up to sell some PPVs down the road by taking the latter risk.

Mark it down. The October 19, 2006 edition of Impact was a turning point for this company. Now, it's make-or-break time with a major PPV on Sunday that has to do big buy numbers. They also have to build upon the red-hot final ten minutes of this week's show next week and the following week and the week after that.

Taking a risk on Angle's health will have this promotion out of business or on the path to becoming a legit #2 promotion in the U.S. by this time next year. The only way this promotion can reach legitimacy is by taking risks and not settling for a comfortable environment that is adverse to growth.

We know the wrestling business could use some competition again. TNA is showing signs that they've finally figured out what it takes.

thoughts?

On tnawrestling.com, there's an extended clip of the Nash thing, and I have to say, the meta-humor is brilliant.

"I predict, that this will be, the first six-star rated match in the history of the Internet." Then Alex Shelley says, "M-O-T-C. Match of the Century." I laughed.

I just saw on the TNA wesbite that when the Best of the X-Division Volume 2 comes out on Tuesday, October 31, Wal-Mart will be releasing it in a 2-pack with Volume 1. This should be a really good deal, so if you want the X-Division discs, go to Wal-Mart on Halloween.

from wrestlingexposed.com:

On Samoa Joe's MySpace page (myspace.com/joeism), he was asked about WWE's Umaga. Here is his response:

Q. Dear Joe what do you think about Umaga? Is he a ripoff of you?

A. I think Umaga is a strong Hamo in the struggle and I hope he wrecks everyone over there. Ahh not the answer you where expecting? Honestly I am more than happy for the success Umaga is enjoying in the WWE. By the way what is with people saying he is a rip off of me? Honestly thats like comparing Bad News Allen to Samba Simba. GET that lazy ass comparison bullsh!% out of here. As for him being undefeated good on him. I don't know if yall noticed but in Pro Wrestling Circles Samoans are usually on average MUCH better that .500.

Not the responce i would have wanted.

from wrestlingexposed.com:

On Samoa Joe's MySpace page (myspace.com/joeism), he was asked about WWE's Umaga. Here is his response:

Q. Dear Joe what do you think about Umaga? Is he a ripoff of you?

A. I think Umaga is a strong Hamo in the struggle and I hope he wrecks everyone over there. Ahh not the answer you where expecting? Honestly I am more than happy for the success Umaga is enjoying in the WWE. By the way what is with people saying he is a rip off of me? Honestly thats like comparing Bad News Allen to Samba Simba. GET that lazy ass comparison bullsh!% out of here. As for him being undefeated good on him. I don't know if yall noticed but in Pro Wrestling Circles Samoans are usually on average MUCH better that .500.

Not the responce i would have wanted.

LMAO you wanted him to feed into the net-geek "OMG he's a Samoa Joe rip off" - yes he's samoan, yes he's played as a badass and has the "undefeated streak" but how many people have been put over as a bad ass? how many people have had streaks? He's Goldberg with a savage gimmick, he's Tatanka as a savage heel - Bad News Allen and Saba Simba LOL that's fitting.

He's what the WWE might have done to Samoa Joe if he had signed - so maybe Joe is just sitting back and going "Dayum I'm glad I didn't go, but at least a fellow Samoan is getting the push and not the shaft"

Ok, so now that BFGII is in the books, when (and where?) do you guys think TNA goes back out on the road. I'm thinking they'll use traveling as a way to distinguish their big shows of the year for awhile, so my guess is LockDown is the next non-Orlando PPV. I remember awhile ago reading that the Richmond show was a PPV test, but it didn't draw that well (nowhere near what Detroit did in March). They drew well in Philly, but they can't run a PPV at the ECW Arena. I'm gonna guess Vegas, just because they've had a hard-on for doing a show there since Hogan was coming in.

LMAO you wanted him to feed into the net-geek "OMG he's a Samoa Joe rip off" - yes he's samoan, yes he's played as a badass and has the "undefeated streak" but how many people have been put over as a bad ass? how many people have had streaks? He's Goldberg with a savage gimmick, he's Tatanka as a savage heel - Bad News Allen and Saba Simba LOL that's fitting.

He's what the WWE might have done to Samoa Joe if he had signed - so maybe Joe is just sitting back and going "Dayum I'm glad I didn't go, but at least a fellow Samoan is getting the push and not the shaft"

Well im glad he answerd it honestly, but you got to admit it would have been great for him to rip into him. I just dont like Umaga.

Credit: PWInsider.com, TNAwrestling.com

Building on a story reported earlier, word is that the TNA house show scheduled for November 10th out of New Alhambra Arena in Philadelphia, PA will have a headline main event of Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. A.J. Styles. This should tear the roof off of the former ECW Arena, and do it's legacy much justice and help establish TNA there at the same time.

As soon as we get word on other matches for this event, we will have an update here on the newsboard.

Meltz is reporting that TNA will be running a tournament the next few weeks on Impact to determine who faces Sting for the title at the next PPV. Coming off his strong win over Rhino, I guess Christian gets fed some names on the way to the title shot. Unless they do a heel-heel match or watch another match with Joe on TV, I can't even think of who they match him up with to make it not look like a cakewalk to the title shot.

Credit: PWInsider.com, TNAwrestling.com

Building on a story reported earlier, word is that the TNA house show scheduled for November 10th out of New Alhambra Arena in Philadelphia, PA will have a headline main event of Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. A.J. Styles. This should tear the roof off of the former ECW Arena, and do it's legacy much justice and help establish TNA there at the same time.

As soon as we get word on other matches for this event, we will have an update here on the newsboard.

AJ's obviously just in the match to take the fall, but even with the outcome pretty predictable, that'd still be a fun match, especially in such a small environment.

Well im glad he answerd it honestly, but you got to admit it would have been great for him to rip into him. I just dont like Umaga.

I think he answered it perfectly - took the high road yet made it obvious what he thought of it with the Bad News / Saba Simba comment

Legitimate bad ass versus crappy gimmick, which is exactly what this is.

Would TNA get bigger ratings if they were live? And what would it take for them to go live?

I really think a huge problem with their show is the announcing. It's just atrocious. The two of them are just so corny and annoying most of the time. Combine Tenay/West with the hokey setup (Lasers, goofy looking TNA signs everywhere, rainbow colors everywhere, etc) and people turn on the show and laugh at it. Getting a different announce team and changing the setup to look more real, kinda like UFC, and that would go a long way in changing people's perception of TNA.

I really think a huge problem with their show is the announcing. It's just atrocious. The two of them are just so corny and annoying most of the time. Combine Tenay/West with the hokey setup (Lasers, goofy looking TNA signs everywhere, rainbow colors everywhere, etc) and people turn on the show and laugh at it. Getting a different announce team and changing the setup to look more real, kinda like UFC, and that would go a long way in changing people's perception of TNA

I think that's more indicative of people associating WWE with wrestling for 20 plus years. Any time somebody comes along the national scene at the stage TNA is at now (think WCW circa 1993, only without Turner's deep pockets), they're automatically compared negatively to WWE. That's just something that takes awhile to break. Look how long it took for non video game people to stop saying all games were Nintendo. I'm sure there are parents who still do it. I highly doubt the lasers are causing the low ranting. It's a lot of things (Jarrett and Sting on top aren't doing any favors for sure), but I don't buy blaming the arena. I could see if they were still doing the show from Nashville, but people watched the WCW show from Center Stage in Atlanta, which was basically the EXACT same set-up as Impact, though WCW used smoke in place of TNA's lasers.

I think that's more indicative of people associating WWE with wrestling for 20 plus years. Any time somebody comes along the national scene at the stage TNA is at now (think WCW circa 1993, only without Turner's deep pockets), they're automatically compared negatively to WWE. That's just something that takes awhile to break. Look how long it took for non video game people to stop saying all games were Nintendo. I'm sure there are parents who still do it. I highly doubt the lasers are causing the low ranting. It's a lot of things (Jarrett and Sting on top aren't doing any favors for sure), but I don't buy blaming the arena. I could see if they were still doing the show from Nashville, but people watched the WCW show from Center Stage in Atlanta, which was basically the EXACT same set-up as Impact, though WCW used smoke in place of TNA's lasers.

But thirteen years ago WCW didn't have something like the UFC on the same channel, much less as a lead-in. When someone is watching the UFC, with the production and the set-up as real as it is, and then TNA comes on with the tuxedos and facial expressions of Mike Tenay and the Don West's screaming, it just comes off as second rate and fake. THey have guys like LAX, Joe/Angle, and Senshi that can really bring you in and make you believe what they're doing but the typre of environment they're presented in takes away from that. I know that's not the only problem they have but it's something that can change perception of the company.

At Philly's New Alhambra Arena show on Nov. 10, TNA announced it will be Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles.

I think Kevin Nash was wrong about "Kevin Nash X-Division Bound for Glory Gauntlet Battle Royal at Bound for Glory" being the first ever six star internet match in history. THIS will be the first ever six-star match in history.

But thirteen years ago WCW didn't have something like the UFC on the same channel, much less as a lead-in. When someone is watching the UFC, with the production and the set-up as real as it is, and then TNA comes on with the tuxedos and facial expressions of Mike Tenay and the Don West's screaming, it just comes off as second rate and fake. THey have guys like LAX, Joe/Angle, and Senshi that can really bring you in and make you believe what they're doing but the typre of environment they're presented in takes away from that. I know that's not the only problem they have but it's something that can change perception of the company.

TUF and Impact ratings is not that far apart anymore, just two weeks ago they were a .1 off.

TUF and Impact ratings is not that far apart anymore, just two weeks ago they were a .1 off.

And if I'm not mistaken, they've both been doing worse lately than they were a few months ago. I don't even think TNA and UFC have as much crossover audience as people think. The way UFC is promoted as being real makes me think their fans would want nothing to do with "fake" wrestling. They may watch here and there, but I can't see them stick around long enough to become TNA fans. And vice versa. In the year TNA has followed UFC, I've never watched more than 5 minutes of that show. Because I tune to Spike to watch TNA. Because I'm a wrestling fan.

Here's a short interview with Dixie Carter from Slam Wrestling:

DETROIT -- Dixie Carter, the president of TNA, is in the equivalent position to Vince McMahon in the WWE. Would you ever see McMahon walking around the crowd before a major PPV shaking hands and taking photos with fans?

That is exactly what Carter did before TNA's biggest show to date, Sunday's Bound for Glory PPV from the Compuware Arena in Plymouth, Mich.

And she wasn't quiet about it. She was announced as she walked through the crowd, and she was swarmed by fans. She was like one of the wrestlers that work for her.

Although very busy, Carter was able to find time to talk to SLAM! Wrestling about Kurt Angle, the PPV and the future of TNA.

Kurt Angle recently signed a contract with TNA making it the largest signing by the organization to date. It's too early to tell what impact he will play, but Carter was optimistic and excited about the possibilities.

"I think (signing Angle) means everything to TNA," Carter explained. "I compare him to a franchise quarterback. He will raise the level of everything within the company."

Before TNA signed Angle, it was heavily rumored he was near a contract with a Mixed Martial Arts organization. His signing would shut out that possibility, but it appears TNA is being very accommodating to Angle.

"I am going to leave everything open. If that is his interest, we will support him."

Did she think that he would venture into MMA? "Angle signed with TNA because he loves wrestling. That is his first priority and love."

The future of TNA seemed hopeful for Carter with many changes and new ventures happening recently. She pointed to a 9 p.m. timeslot on Spike TV (starting on November 16) as being a big change for TNA.

"This is huge for us. The earlier time brings great possibilities for the fans to see us."

And Carter wanted to see the fans. She was walking around the main ballroom at Saturday's FanFest. She was in as many photos and signed as many autographs as the wrestlers in attendance.

Bound for Glory was TNA's first monthly PPV held outside Orlando, Fla. It was a true test for the future and changes that TNA is trying to make.

"This is huge. I had butterflies when I flew into Detroit. The fans came, they paid to see TNA and there is a World Series taking place in the same town."

You see that not only does Carter take pride in her organization but she takes pride in her fans. She realizes the fans make or break you, and you have to listen to what they want.

She was pleased to see 4,500 fans showed up for the event, making it the largest crowd in the five-year history of the organization.

As she looked around she commented, "It blows me away."

At Philly's New Alhambra Arena show on Nov. 10, TNA announced it will be Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles.

I think Kevin Nash was wrong about "Kevin Nash X-Division Bound for Glory Gauntlet Battle Royal at Bound for Glory" being the first ever six star internet match in history. THIS will be the first ever six-star match in history.

Nash's matched happened first.

I thought KNXBFGGBRABFG was about 5 and a half stars. I deducted 1/2 * for Sirelda's appearance althought it was kinda cool to see her get kicked in the vag(nuts?).

On TNA's website, they've got a banner listing Kurt Angle vs Abyss for those shows. Here it is:

728x9House_banner.jpg

It hurts me to know that Alex Shelley is the biggest jobber in TNA this year, so far. He's over, why isn't he getting more wins? His partnership with Nash is gold and has given him time to talk, the crowd have connected with him. Why isn't he getting a push in the X-Division or something I ask, why?

I think there going to build him up into a bigger star with the new nash/starr storyline, i can see that ending up as the big X divison title picture match.

I picked up the Best of the X-Division twin pack today and guess who is missing from the dvd cover art of volume 2 but is on the intro of the disc.....SHARKBOY and Sonjay Dutt!