TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Eddy Guerrero passes away

I woke up today and signed on to MySpace, first thing. I noticed a bulletin from my friend Rachael stating that a WWE wrestler had died. I figured it was a joke just like so many other bulletins... but sadly, it was not. The official WWE.com headline confirmed that one of my favorite wrestlers, Eddie Guerrero, had passed away in Minneapolis at the age of 38.

I haven't been this shaken up about a wrestler's death since Owen Hart died on May 23, 1999. I'm not sure which has affectedme more, either. With Owen, I was watching the pay per view where he fell from the rafters. I had some time, if only an hour, to prepare for his death, but I still cried some. In regards to Eddie, however, I never saw it coming and I have been crying for the better part of an hour.

As a wrestling fan of 14 years, watching every week, I've grown very attached to a lot of these guys. I have been around the business somewhat (although I'm certainly not claiming to be a part of it in any way) and I know people who wrestle professionally and itis their passion. Non-fans will say all sorts of things discrediting the profession, but it's a big part of my life and I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who wrestle for a living.

Eddie was a guy I always looked up to since I first saw him, when I began watching WCW in 1997. Not only was he greatly entertaining and an amazing performer in the ring, but at 5'8", he was the same height as me and showed me that a guy my size could make it in a big man's business. More importantly than that, however, by all accounts, he was a wonderful father, husband, son, brother, friend, etc.

Aside from the similarities in size that I could relate to, Eddie had a history of drug and alcohol abuse. This was something I could relate to, because I have had similar problems, although not nearly on the level that he did. I've had serious issues with alcohol and painkillers before. Eddie was a role model in that he was able to overcome his problems, even after losing his job and his wife, and was able to get all that back, become more successful than ever, and remain sober for the last 4 years.

Forgive me if this isn't as coherent as I'd like, but I'm still pretty upset. I can't even begin to imagine how his family and friends feel.

Thank you so much, Eddie, for all the hard work and sacrifices you made in order to entertain us, the fans. We'll miss you dearly.

Sorry, but this song has been going through my head ever since I heard about his death.

Jo Dee Messina - Heaven Was Needing A Hero

I came by today to see you

Oh I had to let you know

If I knew the last time that I held you was the last time

I'd have held you and never let go

Oh it's kept me awake nights wondering

I lie in the dark asking why

I've always been told you wont be called home

Until it's your time

I guess Heaven was needing a hero

Somebody just like you

Brave enough to stand up for what you believe

And follow it through

When I try to make it make sense in my mind

The only conclusion I come to

Is Heaven was needing a hero

Just like you

I remember the last time I saw you

Oh you held your head up high

I laughed inside when I saw how you were

Standing out in the crowd

You're such a part of who I am

And now that part will just be void

No matter how much I need you now

Heaven needed you more

Cause Heaven was needing a hero

Somebody just like you

Brave enough to stand up for what you believe

And follow it through

When I try to make it make sense in my mind

The only conclusion I come to

Is Heaven was needing a hero

That's you.

RIP Eddy. I'm glad I got to see you at the Smackdown tapings in August. I'll miss you. That's about it.

I'm tempted to rant on the assholes in this thread using Eddy's death to fish for sympathy regarding their own personal tradgedies but this isn't the time or place.

I understand that Matt (I first got to know of Eddy when he came to wcw in 95 actually so similar here) , Its like we feel connected to all of our heroes like this, epescially in pro wrestling. It seems like a family almost.

Geez I can't even believe this. I got to see him live twice, ist at the wwa ppv in vegas, during his comeback before he got resigned in wwe, and the last at unforgiven 02. I was mad last year when I didnt go to judgment day and get to see him as champ.

Great memories, the lasting image may be the wwe title win or wm xx. To me it was his first wcw match on sat night, he hit that frogsplash and I was amazed.

I cant get the press conference video to work on wwe.com I guess its too crowded now.

:( Well miss you Eddy.

This press conference is just heartbreaking stuff.

To think, all of these WWE performers woke up this morning thinking it's business as usual, and then BAM. Now, instead of doing normal RAW and Smackdown tapings, instead of it being as planned, they are doing a tribute show to a fellow wrestler who just hours before was seemingly just as well as all of the others.

This is a hell of a lot to go through for all of them, and my heart really goes out to everyone, from Vince McMahon to Chavo to everyone else in the company, no matter what their position. I can't imagine how it feels for them to be waking up thinking they are doing a normal RAW and SD taping, and then the plans being changed to a fucking TRIBUTE show for Eddie Guerrero.

In the PC, Chavo states that he will be performing. He said Vince told him he could do whatever he wanted, have it be flying home, just staying in his motel room, or being on the show. Vince said that he's not forcing anyone to do anything on the show, and it's all voluntary.

Sorry if this has been already posted:

Vince McMahon and Chavo Guerrero held a press conference earlier today to speak on the death of Eddie Guerrero. Below are the highlights.

- Chavo said that he found Eddie's body at around 7AM this morning. He said a member of security told him that Eddie did not respond to his wake up call. Chavo said that Eddie had opted out of having breakfast in favor of room service but had said that he would come to the gym later. Chavo did confirm that he had a meal with Eddie in the early hours of Sunday after arriving in Minneapolis from Phoenix.

- Vince McMahon said that BOTH the RAW and Smackdown tapings tonight would be dedicated to Eddie and that the workers who will appear on the shows are doing so voluntary. He also said that they will work as "human beings, not so much as performers."

- Chavo said he was given the option of returning home, staying at the hotel, or wrestling tonight, and picked wrestling.

- Chavo said that the Guerrero family is "devastated."

- Chavo said that Eddie recently celebrated four years of sobriety from alcohol and prescription and pain killers.

- Vince said he had no idea what caused Eddie's death.

- Vince said Eddie's family would receive royalties "forever."

- Vince said it will be tough to get over, but that Eddie would want the "show to go on."

Credit: PWTorch.com

- Vince said Eddie's family would receive royalties "forever."

Whatever we all say about him, this is certainly something to praise Vince for.

Cute of Vince to speak on Eddy's behalf but he honestly has no fucking clue. He ran the business that influences and to a lesser extent forces wrestlers to conform to a specific image that may have caused Eddy's death.

My one regret is that I wanted to go to this show but could not. I wish I was able to show my respect for Eddie.

Truly sad. I was shocked when I first heard it, but after it sunk it was unfortuantly no surprise. I was lucky enough to see him live on numerous occuasions, including some house shows that we're virtually empty. Eddie always put in his best effort even if their was next to no one in the stands. Rest in peace.

Guest Hass of Pain
Cute of Vince to speak on Eddy's behalf but he honestly has no fucking clue. He ran the business that influences and to a lesser extent forces wrestlers to conform to a specific image that may have caused Eddy's death.

Vince is responsible for a lot of horrific things, but you can't blame Eddie's death on him. Eddie had wrestled the better part of 15 years before entering WWE, and his painkiller addiction stemmed back to his car accident before he entered WWE. When Eddie battled his demons, WWE did the wrong thing for business and the right thing for Eddie and took him off the road and paid for his rehab. When Eddie made mistakes, WWE released him and let him get his life in order, and when he did they took him back again. Vince McMahon is a scumbag, but he treated Eddie really well I thought.

As much fun as it is to rip on Vince, lets not point fingers and put fault on others for Eddie's death. Putting any blame on Vince is too easy.

Guest xad

As much fun as it is to rip on Vince, lets not point fingers and put fault on others for Eddie's death. Putting any blame on Vince is too easy.

True, especially since no one knows for sure what caused eddies death.

:(

Wow, I still cant believe this... My friend texted me and i thought it was a joke but then now i sign onto wwe.com and find this out. I have goosebumps all over my body. I got to meet him in person once when he did a tour in Panama with some Mexican wrestlers, I was a lil kid then and he was really cool to all of us. Descansa En Paz Eduardo, seras extrañado. Espero que estes en el cielo luchando con los mejores........

I'm glad someone else mentioned the fact that he had turned face again right before his death. I'd hate for the last memories of Eddie to be the embarrassing "Dominick I am your father" nonsense with Rey. In a creepy way it almost seems like Eddie made peace with everyone (real life and I guess storywise as well) and got to hear some real cheers again right before he died.

I was just stunned this morning to read it, ditto my brother. My dad didn't really say all that much, but did kinda break down emotionally during dinner. My mom was the most upset, she cried big time right after hearing about it.

God this sucks. It's the sort of thing that makes me think twice about watching wrestling, and if I was a wrestler I'd think twice about staying in the profession.

Please don't turn this into another I-Hate-Vince-McMahon thread.

I'm sorry, I just cried watching those music videos, I think it really hit me that he's gone. It just plain sucks, I feel so bad for his family

Wow, this certainly is a shocker. It seems like no professional wrestlers live past the age of about 45 or so. I mean, honestly, there's always some kind of surprising death cropping up out of nowhere.

Now I'm not saying steroids or pain pills were directly involved here since we don't have any information to that effect, but the WWE should really try to do something about this problem.

Even if Vince just talked to the talent, and personly discouraged them all from getting on the roids, it would be a good start. I guess the brand extension has to help somewhat, in that the wrestlers aren't out there taking bumps quite as much, so relying on pain medicine won't be quite as imminently necessary.

This really sucks, I just heard about this about 10 minutes ago. It's really frustrating because it seemed like Eddie was finally clean. He was truly one of my favorites to watch and he brought joy to a lot of people through his performances.

Prayers for him and his family.

Shit man. I just watched the video of Eddie after his title win calling his wife and thanking her for all her support. Didn't think it would bring tears to my eyes, but it did.

Shit man. I just watched the video of Eddie after his title win calling his wife and thanking her for all her support. Didn't think it would bring tears to my eyes, but it did.

Obviously not what I wanted to sign on to. One of my all time favorites gone just like that, and of all these young wrestling deaths, this is probably the most shocking and unfair of all.

Please don't turn this into another I-Hate-Vince-McMahon thread.

He (LOTC) actually has somewhat of a point but I'm sure nobody really wants to start throwing blame at anyone yet. The cause of death is still uncertain.

This is just a sad, cold day for wrestling. Thank you for all the great memories & matches that have entertained me & many other wrestling fans for years Mr. Guererro. RIP.