TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

The first test is for the network adapter (it recognizes a wireless bridge).

The second test is for the wireless network (it says it is connected).

Then, it goes the IP address test, and that's where I get hung up.

I tried disabling the SPI firewall (no luck). My router (which is a Netgear) is set to channel 11.

Set up a static IP address on the Xbox 360, and use your router to put that IP address in the DMZ.

Can you elaborate on how to do this?

Click here and find your router. Then select, from the list of applications, Xbox Live 360. Everything you need to know that I was going to tell you is found here.

This will show you how to forward ports 88 and 3074, not to put your system in the DMZ. Let's not try putting your system in the DMZ unless forward those two ports fails.

I apologize if you know how to do this and I am insulting your intelligence, but judging that you weren't familiar with the DMZ, I'm guessing you're not. If you've never dealt with forwarding ports before, it can be tricky.

The thing is, most routers should work with Xbox Live without needing to forward ports. Even so, give this a try. I'll look at Netgear's support site to help you, too.

Edit: Found this: Netgear Support

There is a lot of information on this page, that takes subtle shots at Microsoft, and in other places, contradicts what they say. I say go with what Netgear says on this issue, but be warned that Netgear, by and large, does not give a shit (I know this from personal experience trying to get the DS to work).

It is precisely this kind of thing that causes me to stay away from Netgear. When it turns into a he-said she-said affair, I'm going to drop the product that costs the least. Xbox $$$ > Netgear $$$. I recommend Linksys.

Don't worry if your router is not Xbox Live certified, I believe Microsoft discontinued doing that. Generally, any router can work with Xbox (I know it hurts to read that). However, they discontinued the Xbox Live certification program for routers before the Wireless Adapter came out.

Edit: DURRRRRR They didn't discontinue it. Here's the list. Looks like a lot of Netgear's are supported.

OK, this is starting to get ridiculous. I followed all the instructions put forth in those links you gave me and I'm in the exact same boat as I was when I started this: IP address failed.

Time Warner Cable tech support couldn't help me. XBox tech support couldn't help me. And now, really well-mapped out websites with step-by-step instructions on how to get through these things can't help me.

This is fucking ridiculous. No, I'm not the most technically savvy person around (you were correct in guessing that), but I understand the general process and can sure as hell follow a set of directions. And after four nights with this piece of shit wireless system, I still can't get this to work. How the fuck is Joe Average supposed to hook one of these things up? This shit should not be this hard.

Thoth, please understand that none of this venting is directed at you. I really appreciate your willingness to help me and the links you gave me. I'm just ready to break something over here. This is taking all the fun out of getting the system in the first place.

I'm totally at a loss.

Tino, this is my analysis.

If you can, try connecting wired to the Netgear router. If it works, and wireless doesn't work, then one of my suspicions is confirmed, that Netgear NEVER fixed the problem from years ago, that has to do with the way it handles peer to peer packets over wireless.

See, on the Nintendo DS, let's take Mario Kart. You can play random matches using that router. You'll get disconnected all the time, but it's possible. You will NEVER, EVER play a friends match. Animal Crossing? You're fucked.

On the Netgear forums, people bitched about this for months, and NEVER, EVER got a response back. I remember watching those forums for months, amused that I had dumped the thing.

If the router is one in the WGR614 series, return it. Dump it. Get rid of it. I recommend the Linksys WRT54G (though that router had issues with some King of Fighters games I liked). It's such a good router otherwise... you can do psuedo-static IP's using MAC Addresses and DHCP... Wired connections are just fine... but god. This one problem sucks so bad. If it's not a 614... I've heard the 624's have the same problem, sometimes even worse.

The truth is, is that routers suck. Some just suck less than others.

so I wanna buy my brother 3 months of xbox live as part of his christmas gift, but he is already halfway through a 3 month prepaid card. My question is, if I buy him 3 more months, will it start after his current 3 months expire, or will it cancel the one he has now and start new?

so I wanna buy my brother 3 months of xbox live as part of his christmas gift, but he is already halfway through a 3 month prepaid card. My question is, if I buy him 3 more months, will it start after his current 3 months expire, or will it cancel the one he has now and start new?

I believe it'll just add on to whatever he has left. So he'll have 5 months left then.

Yup, it'll add. I've been buying PC games that have 1 month free trials, and it keeps adding a month to my existing time.

Question: Does the 360 come with XBOX Live? Like a short subscription? And more how are your XBOX's holding up? Does it come with like a three year warranty now?

1 month on the Gold Live sub, the 360's you pick up today should be much better able to avoid the RROD and yes, there is a standard 3 year on the RROD, 1 year on anything else. However, if you pick up the 2 year on the 360, it effectively extends your warranty coverage on the 3 year RROD to 5 years if I remember correctly from the letter I got.

I recently rented Naruto; Rise of a Ninja on Sunday as I heard it was pretty ok and I must say the game is quite good. It's pretty much a Role-playing game mixed in with a platformer mixed in with a fighting game and it's pretty fun. I recommand it.

1 month on the Gold Live sub, the 360's you pick up today should be much better able to avoid the RROD and yes, there is a standard 3 year on the RROD, 1 year on anything else. However, if you pick up the 2 year on the 360, it effectively extends your warranty coverage on the 3 year RROD to 5 years if I remember correctly from the letter I got.

Woa. How much is the 2 year? Like 40 bucks?

Woa. How much is the 2 year? Like 40 bucks?

I'm pretty sure it is something like 40 bucks. Then Xbox Live gold for a year is 50 bucks and it's worth every penny if you love playing Multi-player games and play it often.

I'm thinking about taking back my 30 gig zune to get a 360, but I'm not sure which I should get.

Should I get the Arcade

• Interactive Gaming Fun for the Whole Family

• Includes Xbox 360 Console, 5 Games, Wireless Controller

• Games included are Bandai's Pac-Man Championship, Uno, Luxor 2, Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy

• Features 1080p High-Definition Output

• 12.73 g.

Or the Pro Bundle for $70 more.

• Set the Standard for Gaming Systems

• Includes Xbox 360 Console, Xbox LIVE Headset, Wireless Controller

• Bundle Includes 2 Games

• Games included are Forza 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance

• Features 20GB Hard Drive

• Also Functions as a DVD Player to Watch your Favorite Movies

How important is the hard drive? Do you need it to save games or is it more for downloads from the marketplace?

I'm thinking about taking back my 30 gig zune to get a 360, but I'm not sure which I should get.

Should I get the Arcade

• Games included are Bandai's Pac-Man Championship, Uno, Luxor 2, Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy

• 12.73 g.

How important is the hard drive? Do you need it to save games or is it more for downloads from the marketplace?

Get the Pro. No question.

Should I get the Arcade

• 12.73 g.

Get the Pro. No question.

I agree with Rant. Go with Pro.

Thirded. Go Pro.

The Arcade comes with a memory unit to let you save. You can still download XBLA to the memory unit, but DLC you'd need a hard drive for. The HDD also is necessary to play original xbox games on the compatibility list.

I would agree, and say Go Pro.

However, the very fact that you're asking this question makes me wonder if you couldn't get away with an Arcade.

Can I ask why you're asking which one to go with?

Go Pro, and the Naruto game is great I may buy the game down the line, but it depends on how good Burnout and Ninja Gaiden 2 are

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm asking which one I should get cause I'm not a heavy gamer, but I do like to play.

Also, money is a factor. Right now, getting to $350 is kind of a stretch, but I could probably do it. It would just leave me broke for like 2 weeks or more. So it would be nice to save the $70 if I didn't need to get the Pro.

Plus, I'm not even really sure I want to get a 360. So that should be an indication of how much of a gamer I am.

Also, will a memory card be enough for game saves?

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm asking which one I should get cause I'm not a heavy gamer, but I do like to play.

Also, money is a factor. Right now, getting to $350 is kind of a stretch, but I could probably do it. It would just leave me broke for like 2 weeks or more. So it would be nice to save the $70 if I didn't need to get the Pro.

Plus, I'm not even really sure I want to get a 360. So that should be an indication of how much of a gamer I am.

well if your willing to search one out go for a Wii, its fun but somethin you dont have to put alot of time into, a huge chunk of the 360 games require quite a bit of time to beat

I played the Wii and liked it for what it was to me, a novelty system.

If it's a game I like, I'll beat it. I just mean I probably wont be heavy in demos and wont rip music or download music or movies.

Plus, Toys R Us has 360 hard drives for $50.

Go Pro, and the Naruto game is great I may buy the game down the line, but it depends on how good Burnout and Ninja Gaiden 2 are

You know, I played the Burnout demo and I was kinda off about it. I liked the whole freedom driving around the city thing, but I felt the dj talked way to fucking much, but I'm assuming I'll be able to turn the dj off just like any other Burnout game when the full verison comes out, and the other thing I didn't like was the fact everytime I failed a race or the stunt thingy, I had to drive all the way back to the starting point to re-start the thing.

Actually come to think about it, there was a third thing I didn't like about the demo as well. I didn't like doing the stunt part. You know the part where your suppose to rack up a bunch of points by going off jumps and what not. By the time I had gotten to that part of the game, I had already driven around the city a lot and gone through a bunch of bill boards and random jumps as it was.

I don't know, I really liked Burnout as just regular track racing, I think the whole free roaming of a city thing is over doing it. I don't think there was a reason to change Burnout into that type of game.

Oh! and when is Ninja gaiden 2 coming out? Is it really soon? I haven't been paying attention at all.

Oh! and when is Ninja gaiden 2 coming out? Is it really soon? I haven't been paying attention at all.

"Spring 2008" is all we know right now.

Since Ninja Gaiden DS is already streeted for March, I suspect NG2 will be April/May, unless it's delayed.

I got the Xbox 360 Pro for Christmas. My girlfriend's brother moved out of our apartment and took his Xbox with him about a month and a half ago. I was pleased with all that came with the Pro, as I have been playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance quite a bit.

To answer a few questions that came up on this page, the two year warranty is $59.95, not $40 or so. Still appears to be very much worth it. Pro came with the Silver Membership of Xbox Live with one free month of Gold. $49.95 gets you Gold for a year.

I was glad my parents got this for me as I had already set up my Windows Media Center to play all of my music, all of my downloaded movies and TV shows, and display all of my photos through my roommate's 360. Now I am back up and running, and registered a Live gamertag for the first time. I am "Livingood1018" for anyone interested. Right now, I have only the 2 game pack that came with the system, but I am familiar with Madden, GRAW 1 and 2, and a couple other games. Within the next month, I should have a bunch of other games to play online.