TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hadley

Arrested Development

Guest Hadley

Why does the net always gush over arrested development? I saw a few eps when it debuted and i couldnt get into it. And i love a lot of non-laugh track sitcoms (malcolm in the middle, scrubs, the office, my name is earl) but AD does nothing for me. In fact, i think FOX should sell it to HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime (where they can get more outrageous) and give AD's time slot to Malcolm (is that show even on the air still?)

Malcolm is on Friday nights at 8:00 and is on route to cancelation at the end of the season because it is consistently the lowest of all of FOX's ratings.

Arrested Development is awesome because it's fucking hilarious. I don't know how else to explain it.

Why ? Because It's one of the greatest show of all-time, smart storylines ... maybe the best writing on tv today. Oh and GOB is the man

It's the funniest thing on TV right now. Every other comedy show out right now only wishes it were as good.

Malcolm is on Friday nights at 8:00 and is on route to cancelation at the end of the season because it is consistently the lowest of all of FOX's ratings.

I actually know the wheelchaired guy on that show. Now I can make fun of him.

Why does the net always gush over arrested development? I saw a few eps when it debuted and i couldnt get into it. And i love a lot of non-laugh track sitcoms (malcolm in the middle, scrubs, the office, my name is earl) but AD does nothing for me. In fact, i think FOX should sell it to HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime (where they can get more outrageous) and give AD's time slot to Malcolm (is that show even on the air still?)

Here are some reasons why I like the show:

- The characters are similar to Seinfeld - you like them because they are by and large unlikeable with a few nice traits.

- The narrator, Ron Howard, can get really nasty and sarcastic, as if he shares in the audience's disbelief about the Bluth family.

- Rewatchability. Similar to the Simpsons, there are a lot of small jokes that get missed the first time (or are placed there as a "reward" to loyal viewers), larger ones that you always get, and running gags.

- Absurdity. The show will go out of it's way to do unbelievable or satirical things, or to set up a joke. For example, "Wee Britain", which is a parody of the Chinatowns and Little Italys we see in large cities, or Tobias' obsession with being an understudy for the Blue Man Group, which led to one of the more infamous quotes that you've undoubtedly seen on the web.

I do find, however, that you need to watch a few consecutive episodes to really "get" the show, but the first few eps really felt like the show was trying to carve it's niche and it probably turned off viewers like you. Try some of the second season shows to see what you think of it now.

It's never appealled to me that much. The narration is terrible and the bald guy with the glasses isn't funny. I don't really 'hate' it, but it's not in the same league as say, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Three simple letters: G-O-B.

Everything the man does is hilarious.

"100 dollar bill or 100 pennies?" *100 pennies come raining down on the board meeting*

I was really not liking it, until I got a free episode off a DVD sampler. I've been hooked on it ever since, and it's like Lost. Some people get it and like it, some don't. To quote Joel McHale (guy who hosts The Soup on E) "Maybe try something your speed...like Freddie." I just really like it, but it's not one of the greatest and GOB is fucking great.

It's one of those shows where it helps to be familiar with characters and storylines going into a viewing. Most of the episodes very much rely on the viewer having some knowledge of these things and without that, I can see how the appeal would be lost on some people.

To me, the appeal is it's something different. There's not much left to do with a sitcom in this day and age, which is why a show that has such unique traits as AD stands out so much. The clever dialogue and way everything weaves together makes for some great thinking comedy.

Isn't this the fourth "Why do people like AD?" thread?

I've stated before that I don't think the show is too great, but the seemingly frequent threads questioning it can even get on my nerves

Exactly. It's impossible to quantify humor. And very, very rarely do two people have the same sense of humor.

I will say that AD has MORE jokes-per-minute than any other sitcom out there, so many so that if you're laughing at one, you may miss two more. However, that doesn't matter if you don't find any of them to be funny.

I'll say that AD (my fave show of all time, seriously) and Napolean Dynamite are the most polarizing shows ever.

That said, yeah, we have a OAO AD thread, why not go there? When I bitched about Lost I didn't start my own thread.

Oh, David "the bald guy with the glasses" Cross is funny though. You're just wrong about that

My situation is the reverse. I love Arrested Development. I've tried to watch Malcolm a few times wanting to like it, and I found it noisy, obnoxious, unfunny, and completely devoid of any depth or subtlety whatsoever.

Maybe I'm missing something, too.

I enjoyed Malcolm for the first two years or so, then it fell off the map for me.

It didn't help that the episodes starting blurring together (Lois is pissed at the kids and Malcolm frequently looks at that camera with his "What am I going to do?" look) and then it fell victim to JTS syndrome #2 (new baby)

The show was a fresh concept the first couple of seasons, but the kids growing up and plots not changing all too much really hurt it. I dare say Dewey was adorable those first couple seasons, but then he started to grow up and he wasn't so cute anymore.

It's odd that a show that shook things up as much as they did with their characters got as stale as quickly as it did.

The show was a fresh concept the first couple of seasons, but the kids growing up and plots not changing all too much really hurt it. I dare say Dewey was adorable those first couple seasons, but then he started to grow up and he wasn't so cute anymore.

Dewey in the emotionally disturbed classroom and then the general anger he has towards constantly being neglected in the family has been quite great.

Unfortunately this season's been made more family friendly at points.

This is the most overrated sitcom in the history of western civilization.

No, that would be Seinfeld. Nothing can be more overrated than that. Nothing.

This is the most overrated sitcom in the history of western civilization.

No, that would be Seinfeld. Nothing can be more overrated than that. Nothing.

Do not deny the awesomeness of Seinfeld.

"I think I could be a philanthropist. A kick ass philanthropist! I would have all this money, and people would love me. Then they would come to me.. and beg! And if I felt like it, I would help them out. And then they would owe me big time! First thing I'm gonna need is a driver.."

Two of my friends like this show. I tried watching a few episodes; I didn't think it was funny. I thought the acting for a few of the main characters SUCKED. All I heard for a week was how I wasn't "smart enough" to like the show, which lead to me hating it more.

Guest Jack Daniels

Just watch the episode Missing Kitty to see the awesomeness that is Gob.

I nearly died laughing watching his magic show performance to his theme The Final Countdown.

I thought the acting for a few of the main characters SUCKED.

All right, that's just wrong. The cast has terrific comic timing and chemistry, and some great physical comedians. And they're by and large good actors, and the characters are well-developed for a sitcom. You can dislike the comedy, but the cast is through-and-through superb. Especially George Michael.