TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Randy Orton: "Fuck The Military"

A responsibility as a professional athlete!?!?! He's a fucking pro wrestler, a bad guy, the more fans and people he badmouths outside of events the better.

I can't understand these overreactions to fan/wrestler interaction that simply uphold characters and a sense of kayfabe. Who cares who provoked who and what was said, if it made one more person dislike Orton and want to see him get his ass kicked, good for him.

I think the security guard acted like an ass, but Orton was just heeling it up after the guy was taunting him.

It'd be different if Orton actually took the first shot at the guy.

Guest JMA

Too bad Angle already has the "hate the troops" gimmick. It would've worked much better with Orton.

I side with Orton over this.

If you decide to insult someone, you've gota expect them to give you a slap.

Them being a celebrity doesn't make it any different.

20 years from now, Orton's going to be richer than most of the guys actually fighting in the Iraq war oddly enough too. It looks like Randy wins the last match when this thing is said and done with.

Doubt this will ever happen. The money in WWE isn't where it used to be. Also, he's a pro wrestler. In twenty years, he will be an old, broke-down, drug addicted, pathetic ex-wrestler who spent all his money and is begging the next generation of Mcmahon's for a job.

How can anyone side with Orton. Believe it or not, the best way to respond to an insult ISN'T calling the guy a cunt and trying to fight him. Isn't Orton 26 years old? Real mature - definitely better than just letting the insult roll of his back.

Orton has to understand that wrestling fans are, by and large, knuckleheads. He's just got to tune out whatever is said to him, and remember that he's making (I suppose) big bucks, while Average Joe WWEan is making hourly wage. That goes for any wrestler. Come up w/ a good put-down or 2, then walk away. Calling the dude a cunt, and challenging him to legit fight you is inexcusable. It doesn't matter if it's a WWE event or not (and since it was before the tapings, you could make a case that it was), if you are a big star in the company, you represent the WWE every time you are out in public, and as such you are expected to take the high road when situations like this come up. If I started badmouthing customers of my company to their face in my free time, and it got back to my boss, I'd expect to be punished or fired. "Dude, I wasn't on the job" wouldn't fly as an excuse.

And get out of here with the "he was kayfabing it up" argument. Not that I like the guy, but could you see HHH acting like that? He'd call the dude a few harmless names, jokingly tell him to step up, then move on. That'd be "kayfabing it", not what Orton was doing.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Assuming all this is true, I really don't find what Orton did all that wrong since he didn't attack him (the security guard, on the other hand, was completely out of line). However, I don't think he'd be in the right if he had hit him. You can say that as a professional athlete he's no different from us, but if I attack someone on the street under similar circumstances, I could be arrested, and justifiably so because you can't just go around hitting people who say things you don't like. Add to that the fact that it's his job to be able to deal with these types of situations and it makes the situation worse, IMO. And I don't think "he was outside" would be a valid excuse for an attack, because if that's the case why does WWE policy require people like Eugene and that Jillian Hall to play up their gimmicks when they go out in public?

The original post sounds like some "smark" without a life trying to start crap. The whole story sounds pretty one sided.

Professional athletes put up with a lot of idiots on a daily basis. I don't blame Orton for staying in character and mouthing back. The security guard was probably a little out of line, but he probably gets sick of seeing morons trying to start fights outside of shows every time WWE rolls into town, and then running to their keyboard to tell the world about how cowardly or unprofessional the wrestlers are.

Actually, I think that would be disrespecting a hotel by destroying property, which is a little different than "living your gimmick" which Vince loves. I think that if Vince could get a convicted rapist and murderer to wrestle as a heel on Raw, he'd be in heaven.

Edited by iggymcfly

Back when they Confidential was on the air, they had a segment where people were talking about Randy Orton including his father and grandfather (this was the time where his grandfather said he was better than Thez and someone else combined, I think) where they focused really hard on that AWOL incident.

Guest DuDe
Wrestlers sure do try to fight fans a lot. It'd be nice if one of the fans turned out to be some badass marine that opened a can on the wrestler.

I remember reading a story about Shawn Michaels getting his ass handed to him in a bar by a Marine that was on leave.

Remember when they fired Rhyno for breaking a flower pot?

This is where the WWE's priorities lie, disrespecting a flower pot is more taboo than disrespecting the consumer.

Hmm, destroying a flower pot in a hotel because you're fighting with your wife, compared to responding to a verbal insult with a verbal insult. I really don't see how the two situations are comparable.

And to reiterate: Eddie wasn't fired for disrespecting a customer OR for striking a customer. It seems like the lack of punishment for Orton is right in line with the company's policies.

See, Orton broke the metaphorical flowerpot that was the connection between the fans and the WWE. Jesus fucking christ, both are issues of professionalism and the lack thereof and the WWE's treatment of both. If you can't see that connection I am amazed you know the connection between the power button and how it turns on your computer.

Orton could be found covered in blood with a dead hooker in the other room and if the WWE was pushing him there wouldn't be any effect to his career. Meanwhile, if someone they aren't concerned about pushing steps on an ant, they'd find cause for dismissal. That this incident had a direct impact on the fans would be of a certain amount of concern because it reflects how the WWE sees YOU. This just reinforces the notion that they don't give a fuck about their fans, as if watching their television wasn't enough of an indicator.

But hey, "Eddie did worse!" so whatever. As if that's a reasonable response.

Edited by RavishingRickRudo

I never said that Eddie did worse. I merely pointed out that - using examples from recent history - that altercations with fans is not a fire-able offense, and has not really effected anyone's push. And, unfortunately for people that liked him, Eddie's altercations were the highest profile incidents of the past few years.

If that's unreasonable, then I'll gladly be viewed as being unreasonable.

In my eyes, comparing making a scene in a hotel and smashing the hotel's property, compared to calling a fan a cunt, is an unreasonable response.