TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dam(o)nYankees

Angle's Greatest Rivalries

Benoit comes in at #5.

Idiots.

Here's what they actually said about it:

Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit are two of the finest technical wrestlers in sports-entertainment history. They are closely matched in every facet of their game. Angle has the ankle lock; Benoit has the Crossface. Angle goes to the top for the moonsault, while Benoit takes to the air for his headbutt. They are both masters of the German suplex. Both The Wrestling Machine and the Rabid Wolverine exhibit ruthless (or toothless) aggression inside the ring. This rivalry was one of Angle’s longest in length, and it’s no surprise since it was almost impossible for either Superstar to ever gain a clear cut edge over the other.

The Olympic Gold Medalist made his debut towards the end of 1999, and he wasted no time making a name for himself. Within just the first few months of his career, Angle had captured the European Championship and at No Way Out added the Intercontinental Championship when he defeated Chris Jericho. Angle and Jericho continued to have issues following No Way Out, and as WrestleMania 2000 approached, Chris Benoit interjected himself into the situation. With the three Superstars gunning for each other, a Triple Threat Match was made for WrestleMania – but this wasn’t an ordinary Triple Threat Match. It was also a two-fall match and both the European and Intercontinental Champions were on the line. The winner of the first fall would leave WrestleMania as the Intercontinental Champion and the winner of the second fall would win the European Championship.

The odds certainly weren’t in Angle’s favor heading into this one, and it proved to be too much for him to overcome. Benoit was able to hit Jericho with the diving headbutt for the first fall and Jericho pinned the Rabid Wolverine after a Lion Sault for the second fall. Angle had lost both the Intercontinental and the European Championships without even being pinned or submitting.

Benoit and Angle didn’t really cross paths much for a while, but the groundwork had been laid for this classic rivalry. Things between the two began heating up a few weeks before WrestleMania X-Seven. The two were teamed up to take on The Rock in a Handicap Match on SmackDown. Benoit had The Rock in the Crossface, but Angle put the People’s Champ’s foot on the rope and the hold had to be broken. He then tagged himself in trying to get the glory of the pin, but The Rock came back and hit a Rock Bottom for the win. After the match, The Rock was getting the better of Benoit as well, and Angle simply left with an evil grin on his face.

The following week on RAW, The Wrestling Machine said that it was a travesty that WrestleMania was only a week away, and he didn’t even have an opponent yet. He also claimed to be the best wrestler that WWE had to offer. Chris Benoit took offense to this and came to the ring to challenge Angle to a match. The Olympic Gold Medalist accepted, and the match was officially on.

This match started off with some impressive mat-based wrestling as the two Superstars went through a feeling out process. It seemed like Angle and Benoit both had counters for everything that was thrown at them. Angle took the action to the outside, using the announce table and the steel steps as weapons, but Benoit endured the punishment and went on the offensive. The match soon turned into a battle of suplexes as belly-to-bellies, Germans and superplexes were being tossed around like they were candy. Benoit tried using the ankle lock, and Angle tried using the Crossface, but they both refused to lose. Benoit eventually got Angle to tap out to the Crossface, but the referee had been knocked out. Moments later, the Wrestling Machine caught Benoit with a stiff kick and rolled him up with a handful of tights for the pin. Angle picked up the win in one of the best matches in WrestleMania history.

With the Olympic Gold Medalist winning in controversial fashion, the score certainly had not been settled. So, later that month at Backlash, they faced off in a 30-minute Submission WWE Iron Man Match. The Superstar to make their opponent to submit the most times in 30 minutes would be declared the winner. Angle was able to jump out to a commanding 3-1 lead. The Wrestling Machine was relentless, but Benoit reversed an abdominal stretch and locked in a Sharpshooter. Benoit continued to work on the legs and made Angle tap to a half crab to pull within one. After an offensive flurry by Angle, Benoit came roaring back with the rolling Germans. The Wrestling Machine went for an ankle lock, but the Rabid Wolverine reversed it into one of his own and made Angle tap to come all the way back and even the score at 3-3 with only two minutes to go. Benoit continued to work on the leg, but Angle was able to reverse it and hook in the ankle lock with time about to expire. Benoit tapped, but not until the 30 minutes was up, so the match went into sudden death. After briefly going back and forth, Benoit hooked in the Crossface for the win about a minute and a half into overtime.

The following night on RAW, Angle claimed that Benoit had cheated. The Olympic Gold Medalist said that according to International Olympic Committee (IOC) rules, sudden death happens immediately following the buzzer of regulation. Since Benoit tapped after the original 30 minutes had expired, Angle felt he should have been named the winner. He said that even though Benoit stole the match from him, he would always have his gold medals. But Benoit came to the ring, and after a tussle, stole Angle’s gold medals as well.

Angle had a chance to reclaim his gold medals a few weeks later at Judgment Day. With all that these two Superstars had been through, an ordinary match just wouldn’t solve anything. So, they faced off in a Best 2 out of 3 Falls Match. But like at WrestleMania 2000, there was a catch. The first fall was a normal match, the second was a Submission Match and the third fall would be a Ladder Match. Angle tried to get off to a quick start using Benoit’s own tactics. He hit the rolling Germans and then went up top for the diving headbutt. Nobody was home, though, and Benoit shocked the Wrestling Machine with an Angle Slam for the early pin to take the first fall. Angle was able to bounce back and win the second fall with the ankle lock to set up the Ladder Match. Benoit and Angle put their bodies on the line, giving no regard for their well-being. Benoit was able to lock in the Crossface, but then Edge and Christian ran down to the ring and distracted him. With the Rabid Wolverine occupied, Angle was able to climb the ladder and regain his gold medals.

Their match at Judgment Day signaled the end of their rivalry – at least temporarily. In September 2002, Angle and Benoit were actually teaming together and had a World Tag Team Championship opportunity against Billy and Chuck on SmackDown. They couldn’t get along, though, and following their loss they traded submission holds. This set up their next one-on-one encounter, and it was at Unforgiven. The two went back and forth throughout the entire match, with each trying to make the other submit. As the match was winding down, Angle hooked in the ankle lock. But just a few seconds later, Benoit was able to roll up the Olympic Gold Medalist, and put his feet on the ropes for leverage, and scored the pinfall.

Just a few weeks later, SmackDown General Manager Stephanie McMahon created the WWE Tag Team Championship. She wanted to build up the tag team division to be as strong as possible, so she coerced Angle and Benoit to team up in an effort to increase the competition and created a tournament to crown the new champions. Angle and Benoit, despite constantly being on the verge of breaking up, were able to defeat Kidman & John Cena and Lost Guerreros to make it to the finals of the tournament. Then at No Mercy, the two ultra-competitive Superstars somehow managed to hold it together, and defeated Edge & Rey Mysterio to take home the gold. A few days later, on SmackDown, Stephanie awarded the duo with a trophy for their achievement. Angle and Benoit couldn’t decide who should be the rightful owner of the trophy, and began fighting over it, breaking it in the process. During the match, Los Guerreros came to ringside, and Chavo nailed Angle with one of the WWE Tag Team Championships. Benoit was able to pick up the win, but the Wrestling Machine attacked him after the match and hit him with the Angle Slam. He then added insult to injury by destroying the trophy.

Angle and Benoit tagged up a couple times after this match, but they could never recapture the magic that won them the WWE Tag Team Championship that they eventually lost to Los Guerreros.

The rivalry quieted down once again, but was revived as the 2003 Royal Rumble drew near. Kurt Angle had once again become WWE Champion, and Chris Benoit was challenging for the gold at the Rumble. Any time Angle and Benoit get in the ring, they’re guaranteed to put on a great match. But this match is widely considered to be their best ever. Benoit and Angle locked in their submission maneuvers several times throughout the contest, but as the 20-minute mark was approaching, Angle reversed a Crossface into another ankle lock. Benoit fought it off, but Angle refused to let go. Benoit tried to reverse it once again, but Angle rolled through it and hung on to the hold. The Rabid Wolverine tried one last counter, but Angle was able to turn it into a heel hook for the submission win. Even though the Wrestling Machine had prevailed, the capacity crowd gave Benoit a standing ovation.

Despite clashing a few more times, Angle and Benoit’s match at the 2003 Royal Rumble proved to be their last high-profile encounter. Angle and Benoit both picked up huge wins throughout the rivalry, and both Superstars had some of their finest matches of their careers with each other. There was only one major WWE Championship defense in this rivalry, otherwise it would have been a surefire bet for the Top 3. As it stands, though, there’s no denying this rivalry deserves to be in the Top 5 of Kurt Angle’s greatest.

Edited by Scorpius

Guest wildpegasus

I'm at a loss for many words. I can't see how anyone else but Benoit was Angle's greatest rivalry. I didn't even think it was close.

I'm leaning towards Austin at #1, Lesnar at #2, HBK at #3, Triple H at #4 (although I've no idea as to why his sorry matches with Triple H deserve to be considered a better feud than Benoit). Outside chance: Jericho?

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
I'm leaning towards Austin at #1, Lesnar at #2, HBK at #3, Triple H at #4 (although I've no idea as to why his sorry matches with Triple H deserve to be considered a better feud than Benoit). Outside chance: Jericho?

When did he feud with Jericho?

Austin and Shawn have to be 1-2.

So they're saying because they had no WORLD TITLE MATCHES against each other except for one, that Benoit/Angle isn't in the Top 4.

Yet Michaels/Angle will be, when they've had significantly worse matches than Angle/Benoit, far fewer PPV matches and have NEVER had a World Title match one-on-one.

Horrible.

But keep in mind, this poll is for the recent marks. To elevate the value of Angle/Michaels to them now, not the memory of matches from a few years back. It's all about making money on who they care about now.

But personally, I find that a flawed philosophy, since a Benoit vs. Angle DVD would sell a ton more than Michaels Vs. Angle one.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
So they're saying because they had no WORLD TITLE MATCHES against each other except for one, that Benoit/Angle isn't in the Top 4.

Yet Michaels/Angle will be, when they've had significantly worse matches than Angle/Benoit, far fewer PPV matches and have NEVER had a World Title match one-on-one.

Horrible.

But keep in mind, this poll is for the recent marks. To elevate the value of Angle/Michaels to them now, not the memory of matches from a few years back. It's all about making money on who they care about now.

But personally, I find that a flawed philosophy, since a Benoit vs. Angle DVD would sell a ton more than Michaels Vs. Angle one.

I don't know if it's so heads and shoulders better. The Rumble match is the best of either series, but I like Shawn/Kurt Mania and Shawn/Kurt Vengeance over the other Benoit matches. And the build to Angle/Shawn I is better than the build for all the Benoit matches.

I'd make it 1. Benoit 2. HBK on the strength of the Rumble match.

I think the only two guys you could make a case for being above Benoit are Austin and Lesnar. Unfortunately, that leaves a third spot open... I have a bad feeling that spot goes to UT.

I'm at a loss for many words. I can't see how anyone else but Benoit was Angle's greatest rivalry. I didn't even think it was close.

I remember Kurt Angle himself saying in an interview that Benoit was his perfect opponent and that his favorite match in his career (so far) is the Rumble 2003 title defense against the Crippler. This list sucks, its obvious Kurt had no say in the picking.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
I think the only two guys you could make a case for being above Benoit are Austin and Lesnar. Unfortunately, that leaves a third spot open... I have a bad feeling that spot goes to UT.

Austin damned well better get first. The Lesnar and HHH feuds really deserve to be 9 and 10, not 1 and 2.

I personally liked the Lesnar feud. The part leading up to Wrestlemania 19 was pretty well done. I loved the Eric Angle swerve match. The ambiguously gay face/face thing they had going early in the summer of 03 wasn't good, but once Lesnar turned heel, the feud picked back up.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
I personally liked the Lesnar feud. The part leading up to Wrestlemania 19 was pretty well done. I loved the Eric Angle swerve match. The ambiguously gay face/face thing they had going early in the summer of 03 wasn't good, but once Lesnar turned heel, the feud picked back up.
The matches though, were such a letdown. Mania was very good, once you factor everything in, but Summerslam was a drop off and that iron man match was such a chore to watch.

The matches though, were such a letdown. Mania was very good, once you factor everything in, but Summerslam was a drop off and that iron man match was such a chore to watch.

I know you're trying to give them some leeway because of Brock and Kurt's physical condition at the time but the match was good, nothing more. A better phrase to use would've been "Better then it should've been", because it was.

The fact that this match was the best one they had against each other is sad, though.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

Brock at 3. I know I shouldn't be shocked, but I think its kind of funny that HHH has to be out over in this too.

Man, if HHH goes in at one of the top 2 spots, that Benoit at 5 reasoning becomes even more of a joke. Angle and HHH never feuded over a main title, unless you count the Summer Slam 2000 triple threat where The Rock was champ.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
Man, if HHH goes in at one of the top 2 spots, that Benoit at 5 reasoning becomes even more of a joke. Angle and HHH never feuded over a main title, unless you count the Summer Slam 2000 triple threat where The Rock was champ.

They also feuded over the belt in January 01 and for the title shot in 02. Never had a good match, let alone a great one.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that throwaway one month "feud" over the title in 01. Probably because the only point of that "feud" was to get the HHH/Austin storyline over. How did HHH even get that title shot? I know he came back from death to beat up Austin, then Austin beat up HHH during his match with Angle, but how did HHH and Angle get together?

Guest Fook

They feuded over Steph, who is apparently more important than the world title.

And what do you mean "if" HHH gets one of the top 2 spots? Besides Austin, there's no-one else left.

I know you're trying to give them some leeway because of Brock and Kurt's physical condition at the time but the match was good, nothing more. A better phrase to use would've been "Better then it should've been", because it was.

The fact that this match was the best one they had against each other is sad, though.

The best match they had was the Show/Angle/Lesnar triple Threat match.

Guest Fook

And what do you mean "if" HHH gets one of the top 2 spots? Besides Austin, there's no-one else left.

Taker?

Taker and Angle have never really had a big feud. They had a couple of ppv matches in 2000 that weren't in-depth feuds at all and some very good tv matches in 2002/2003, but that's about it.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that throwaway one month "feud" over the title in 01. Probably because the only point of that "feud" was to get the HHH/Austin storyline over. How did HHH even get that title shot? I know he came back from death to beat up Austin, then Austin beat up HHH during his match with Angle, but how did HHH and Angle get together?

Like you said, HHH just returned from Austin killing him with the forklift. HHH cost Austin his title match with Angle in his return. From there, Vince just randomly named him as the No. 1 Contender for no reason other than HHH was 'married' to Steph, and Vince was a heel.

Taker?

Taker and Angle have never really had a big feud. They had a couple of ppv matches in 2000 that weren't in-depth feuds at all and some very good tv matches in 2002/2003, but that's about it.

I remember Biketaker getting attacked by Angle backstage at a PPV which lead to Biketaker creaming Angle in the ring.

Best match Angle and Show had is when the Showster was born.