TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

Iconic video game music.

After reading about all the greatness that is the music of the Street Fighter series, it makes me wonder, what other tunes out there are iconic and make you automatically remember a certain game or moment.

So what are your favorite pieces of music in gaming history? For me, I'll have to go with the original Mario Brothers theme and One Winged Angel. I've played Mario for 15 years, and that song never gets old to me. And as for One Winged Angel... the first time I fought Safer Sephiroth, that music was the icing on the cake of at the time, was the most awesome RPG battle I have ever witnessed in my life.

Honorable Mention goes to F-Zero's Mute City theme (especially the F-Zero X version), Ken's theme from Street Fighter, and the airship theme from my favorite 2D game of all-time, Mario Bros. 3.

One that will stick into my head for some reason is the theme from the first two fortress levels from Mega Man 2.

I find myself humming that.

THough I don't know just HOW many people besides people who have actually gotten there know about that music and can associate it with Mega Man.

Off the top of my head...

Zelda's Overworld Theme

Mega Man 2 - Air Man Theme

Mega Man 2 - Bubble Man Theme

Sonic the Hedgehog - Star Light Zone Theme

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Sky Chase Theme

Guest Vitamin X

Final Fantasy VII's Aeris theme is almost instantly recognizable for most gamers, casual or not.

Star Light Zone is particularly beautiful.

Isn't it?

I found an OC Remix of the theme that has become one of my favorite pieces of music.

the boss theme in the Ninja Gaiden series...props to them for keeping it in each game.

most of the Castlevania: SOTN soundtrack

various tunes from Super Metroid

the "3 Gaurdians" and "Dracula" music from Super Castlevania IV

Guest wildpegasus

Super Castlevania IV -- The music when you're going up the clock tower perfectly fits the feel of the game.

Vampire Killer, Wicked Child, Bloody Tears...hell, I could go on and on. Castlevania in general has incredible music, even when the games suck (Curse of Darkness).

Zelda overworld.

Both FFVI overworld themes.

Most of Chrono Trigger's soundtrack, from the individual character themes, to the overworlds, to the boss themes--great stuff.

Soul Blade's "World Atlas Collapsed" really puts you on edge when you end up fighting some demonic manifestation in some surreal netherworld.

"Edge of Soul" is cheesy but extremely memorable. Although a notable mention goes to Bravely Folk Song. I really like it for some reason. In comparison, Soul Calibur 1+2's theme music sounds dull and samey...

(Although I also love the Zelda remix for Link).

Ghosts n' Goblins level 1--mainly because few people ever got past that part. :)

Earthworm Jim's New Junk City, Buttville, Level 5, and even though it's definitely not original, the Heck stage theme.

Most memorable Sonic themes for me are when you fight Mecha Sonic in Sonic & Knuckles, Lava Reef Zone, Ice Cap Zone (the original, not that putrid replacement that's in the PC version), any of the Death Egg themes.

One-Winged Angel is my favorite boss battle theme. I recommend downloading the re-recorded version that is used in Advent Children. It far surpasses the original. Aeris's Death theme is another that sticks out. It fit the mood perfectly whenever Sephiroth killed her.

The Super Mario Brothers theme is one of the most instantly-recognizable themes ever recorded. Even my Dad, who doesnt play games, knows the theme when he hears it. The Legend of Zelda Overworld theme is another favorite. It has a heroic sound to it, and fits the mood of the game perfectly.

THough I don't know just HOW many people besides people who have actually gotten there know about that music and can associate it with Mega Man.

That was actually the first song I thought of when I saw this thread.

I always liked the music in Maximum Carnage too, cuz it was Green Jellÿ.

Also, I love the music from the Dynasty Warriors games. Fucking awesome.

I love the Aeon chants from FFX,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked them. I caught myself humming that tune here and there.

The many chants are called "The Hymn of the Fayth". Just making sure we get the name correct. :D

Other good tracks from the game are Otherworld, Confrontation, Challenge, Zanarkand, Someday the Dream Will End, and Summoned Beast Battle.

Glad to see the love for the Legend of Zelda. I found an orchestrated version of the Legend of Zelda's overworld theme online and it was pretty cool.

Mike Tyson's Punchout - the match theme and password theme

Tekken 5 - Moonlit Wilderness. It just says "epic battle".

Glad to see the love for the Legend of Zelda. I found an orchestrated version of the Legend of Zelda's overworld theme online and it was pretty cool.

Link?

I downloaded it off of Limewire. If you have limewire type in Legend of Zelda for Audio search and type in the following: Classical (Orchestrated Nintendo Theme) - Legend of Zelda (Main Theme). That should get you the file.

Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack in the history of video games.

No one who has played CC and heard the battle theme in it could possibly say something like this. I almost had to put the damn game on mute.

Everything from Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana is great.

Zelda's overworld theme.

FF4 and FF6's overworld.

MM2 Dr Wily and Bubble Man

The last stage of Dr Wily for both MM3 and MM4

Life Force's fire stage

Super Metroid's Brinstar

FFX's opening piano tune and the heavy metal music that plays for the last boss

Most of the music from F-Zero and DKC2

Killer Instinct Gold title screen

Resident Evil 2 at the end when the timer goes off and Resident Evil 1's remixed mansion theme because it's so haunting and creepy

Shadow of the Colossus's opening movie

Conker's night club

Too many to list from all the castlevanias

Guest wildpegasus

Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack in the history of video games.

Resident Evil 2 at the end when the timer goes off and Resident Evil 1's remixed mansion theme because it's so haunting and creepy

Yes, yes, yes, yes! They had this music on showing highlights of a feud in Japan before the big climax match and I was marking out of my mind. Unbelievably great music that fits into the fact that you're at the end of a haunting game. The music wouldn't work as well if it was at the beginning of the game.