TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Guns N Roses to play 2 shows in NY

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/980...o_play_new_york

When Axl Rose told Rolling Stone in January that he'd have new music for Guns N' Roses fans this year, he wasn't kidding. After a decade of working on Chinese Democracy, the follow-up to 1993's platinum-selling The Spaghetti Incident, and three years away from American stages, GN'R are ready to play New York next month. Tickets for May 15th and 17th at the Hammerstein Ballroom, go on sale April 21st.

While there's no definite word as to what music Axl and his current GN'R lineup will play live, the notoriously reclusive rocker told Rolling Stone of his new songs, "I'm trying to do something different. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses.'"

Thirty-two songs -- including the Axl faves "Better," "There Was a Time" and "The Blues" -- are in the works for the new album, to be narrowed down to thirteen. Versions of "Better" and "There Was a Time" were among the tracks leaked online -- and, briefly, to radio -- in February.

After these two U.S. dates, GN'R are also slated to play a string of dates in Europe, starting May 27th in Lisbon, Portugal.

An official release date for the now-mythical Chinese Democracy has yet to be announced.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1528705/2...?headlines=true

Before Axl Rose's current incarnation of Guns N' Roses heads to Europe for a string of festival appearances, the band will perform a pair of concerts at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom, according to concert promoter Live Nation.

Tickets for

both shows — set for May 15 and 17 — will set fans back $63 and go on sale April 21 at 10 a.m. Doors open for both nights at 7:30 p.m. There's no word yet on who might be opening for Guns N' Roses, or whether there will be an opener at all.

Velvet Revolver kitman Matt Sorum, who was also a member of Guns N' Roses, wrote in his online blog that he'd had a recent run-in with Rose while in New York, where the drummer performed with Camp Freddy, an all-star cover band featuring ex-Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro; Alice in Chains' Jerry Cantrell; Revolver's Scott Weiland and Duff McKagan; Moby; Gina Gershon; Shooter Jennings; and former Fuel frontman Brett Scallions also played with the band that evening (see "Velvet Revolver Bassist Promises 'Stinky' Pharrell Collabo").

Sorum said he spotted Axl at a party. "I hadn't seen him in at least six years," he wrote. "I walked over and said 'Hello.' We shook hands and it was pleasant. Later that evening, I ended up in a loft somewhere in the East Village where Axl was again. We spoke for quite some time, and it was nice to clear some things up. I told him how great of a frontman he was while I was in the band and no hard feelings from me at all" (see "Axl Files Suit Against Slash, Lashes Out At Ex-Bandmates"). "It was an all-around good vibe, I think."

Guns N' Roses are set to perform the first of 17 European festivals on May 27, when they take the stage during Rock in Rio in Lisbon, Portugal. The last of GN'R's overseas gigs will take place on July 8 in Oslo, Norway, at Spektrum.

In February, several songs said to be from the Chinese Democracy sessions leaked online (see "Are Guns N' Roses Finally Coming Back? The Signs Are There ..."). There's still no word on when Rose's decade-in-the-making LP will see release.

The two New York concerts will be Guns N' Roses first American shows in more than three years. Back in 2002, the band played a number of dates before pulling the plug on what was to be a global trek (see "It's Extra Official: Promoter Says GN'R Tour Totally Off").

Guest Sylvan Grenier
Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses.'"

Who are these people? It's still unimpressive hair metal.

Id be happily willing to buy the ticket..and take the ride to NYC...but what can the odds be on the show actually happening?

Wait, people still pay attention to this guy?

Oh my, is that hard to just skip over the fucking post? People still care about him - If you don't, then hurray for you. Hopefully you will never be forced to click such a horrible thread again.

So, do tickets for these kinds of shows generally go online before they go on sale at the box office? Because I'd really like to go to this, but I don't know if I can drag my ass to NYC early on a Friday morning to pick up tickets.

Guest Sylvan Grenier
I think thats Czech's gimmick.

Yeah. Nobody else anywhere thinks Axl Rose is an overrated hack. Good observation.

No, seriously. Why do people still pay attention to Rose, what has he done in the last ten years besides delay this album and be an ass?

Dont you think people would care less about the album if it didnt take 13 years to complete?

No, seriously. Why do people still pay attention to Rose, what has he done in the last ten years besides delay this album and be an ass?

Dont you think people would care less about the album if it didnt take 13 years to complete?

I don't know. People sure were excited about finally getting a proper version of Smile.

Any idea what European Festivals? The only one I'm aware of is Download in the UK.

They're scheduled for Rock-am-Ring in Germany (which I'm going to) so I hope they turn up. They're playing a date in Dublin too.

Yes, Tommy Stinson is still on Bass. As far as I know the 2002 version of the band is still the same today, just minus Buckethead. Robin Finck from Nine Inch nails and Richard Fortus from the Psychedelic Furs switch between lead and rhythm guitars, Brain from Primus is on drums. Dizzy Reed and Chris Pittman from NIN are both keyboard players.

And here are the tour dates from this summer jaunt.......

Mon 5/15 New York, NY Hammerstein Ballroom

Wed 5/17 New York, NY Hammerstein Ballroom

Sat 5/27 Lisbon, Portugal Rock In Rio

Sun 5/28 Madrid, Spain Auditorio Parque

Wed 5/31 Budapest, Hungary Budapest Sportarena

Fri 6/02 Eifel, Germany Rock Am Ring

Sun 6/04 Milan, Italy Gods Of Metal Festival

Fri 6/09 Dublin, Ireland RDS Arena

Sun 6/11 Donnington, UK Download Festival

Tue 6/13 Prague, Czech Republic Sazka Arena

Thu 6/15 Warsaw, Poland Stadion Legii

Sat 6/17 Burgenland, Austria Nova Rock

Tue 6/20 Paris, France POPB Arena

Sat 6/24 Dessel, Belgium Graspop Metal Meeting

Mon 6/26 Stockholm, Sweden Globe Arenas

Wed 6/28 Oslo, Norway Oslo Spektrum

Thu 6/29 Roskilde, Denmark Roskilde Festival

Sun 7/02 Nijmegen, The Netherlands Govertpark

Wed 7/05 Helsinki, Finland Harwall Areena

Thu 7/06 Helsinki, Finland Harwall Areena

Sat 7/08 Oslo, Norway Oslo Spektrum

Shit, I just realised that it was Jaxl that started this thread. He hasn't been around in months. Glad to hear the line-up is pretty much the same as before.

Couple of factors. I think that because he kind of bailed on the last tour, Clear Channel really doesn't want to work with him, and they also had trouble selling ouit venues last time.

Europe festivals would already get huge attendance, and a lot of the shows there in the arenas have sold out already............I think Axl's name just gets more respect out of the US.

what types venues was he having low sales at? Big arenas or smaller ones? I think he'd do well playing smaller scale venues like that CBGB in NY (that's the name of it right?) to at least build upon his core audience some before thinking he can take on Wembley size crowds again. He really has to work on his rep over here. I don't think the band name alone will draw anymore.

Axl Rose was one of my heroes when I was growing up.

But I wish the mofucker would put out a CD, and complete a big ass tour before he retires.

Then just still make music, but chill, start a label, something like Dr. Dre with Aftermath and Interscope.Yeah.

Remember how bad he/they sounded when they did that MTV Awards show a few years ago? Hopefully they sound better than that, or this will be the last time people get their hopes up for a GnR show.

I think he'd do well playing smaller scale venues like that CBGB in NY (that's the name of it right?) to at least build upon his core audience some before thinking he can take on Wembley size crowds again
Quasi-threadjack, but CBGB's is in danger of closing/being relocated. The guy that owns the property is fucking them over rent costs or something ... "Bad Brains" (as in, Bad Brains but with Bloodclot instead of HR) is playing a show there as one of the last 'big' shows at CBGB's. Quasi-threadjack over.

Yeah, personally I'd agree with the sort of fear of rejection etc.

Over in Europe, there's definatly more of a following to the illusion of how great they (the band,& axl) once were. I mean, they wouldn't have played Europe as regularly as they would have America so the novelty is there. It was like when Velvet Revolver played. I saw them in Ireland and Belguim, and I remember at the Belguim festival just being surrounded by all these 30year old bikers, completely marking out with a smile on their face- ear to ear- just because they were seeing Slash and Duff play.

The moral of the story: Europeans always go crazy for the imported rock stars of their youth and their value for them rarely goes stale.

Wait, people still pay attention to this guy?

I'd be afraid to get a ticket with Axl's reputation for cancelling shows or ending them early.

A fully reunited GNR, however, would sell insane amounts of tickets. Yeah, I know, it won't happen. But, at least the band members are still alive.

Actually, a magazine a few weeks ago (some guitar mag, don't remember he name) reported that Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt Sorum all agreed to reunite for the European tour dates, but the attorney for one of them saw some writing in the fine print that if they signed the contract, they turned over all rights of the GnR catalog to Axl.

Needless to say, they didnt sign the contract.

This whole "original" band controversy all sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. They will do it in like 5 or so years when Axl gets his other style of music out of his system.

Hell, Axl was just hanging out with Matt Sorum and Izzy a few weeks ago.

And yes, I will be at at least one of the NY shows.