TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest J0bber

Programs that Lasted Too Long

Guest J0bber

I hate when programs go on for more than two pay per view bouts. That should be the limit for a good program. Anything more is just limiting oppurtunities for new faces in the main event scene. Let's make a list of long programs that dragged on far too long:

-Vader/Hogan WCW 1995

-HHH/HBK 2002-2004 (If I have to watch these two fight again, I'm going to vomit.)

-HBK/Undertaker 1997-1998 (It should have ended at Badd Blood. There was no need for the cheesy burning of the casket at Royal Rumble 1998.)

-Mankind/Rock 1998-1999 (Was there a need for that third match at St. Valentine's Day Massacre?)

-Triple H/Batista 2005 (Triple H finds a way to put himself in three boring pay per view main events without winning the title.)

That's all I can think of right now since my mind is going blank. If you disagree or agree, feel free to discuss or add anything.

Test/Steiner... April 2003-SEPTEMBER 2003, only for them to become a tag team at the end of it.

Eddie/Rey... March 2005-September 2005. It started out fantastic. Everything from WM up to just past Judgment Day was really good. Once Rey's kid got involved and Eddie jobbed every week, it started going way downhill.

The two that immediately came to mind have both been mentioned, HHH/HBK just dragged on for an eternity and just got worse and more prolonged as it went along.

The other is Regal/Edge which was never any good at all to begin with, absolutely zero chemistry between the two and inexplicably went on for something like 4 straight PPV's.

Just to add, I didn't think HBK-Taker went too long at all. Everything between Summerslam and Badd Blood (only 2 months) was great, and then they stayed away from each other until January, where they only feuded a month tops. The only thing lacking was a proper blowoff.

I know I'll take a lot of heat for this, but I thought the three way Hardyz/Dudleyz/E&C feud went for a bit longer than it needed to. All the matches just kind of blurred together after a while.

First thing I thought of was Test/Steiner from 03. Didn't Stacy Kiebler change hands 3 different times in this feud?

Totally agree with HHH/Batista as well. What was HHH's reasoning to get 2 rematches after losing clean? You fear the pedigree, and you haven't beaten me in HIAC?

Angle/Cena from last year went on way longer than it needed to as well.

Eddie losing about 7 matches to Rey in one year was the first thing that popped into my head.

Dusty Rhodes vs. Every top heel in the NWA.

The height of Dusty's ego was in 1986-7 when he was part of almost every angle involving a top heel in the NWA. Dusty just had to show his face non-stop.

Hunter vs. Shawn. This was an incredibly overrated program that was kept going and going for all the reasons that have helped turn WWE into a personal vehicle for two people. The only good match Hunter and Shawn ever had was at Summerslam in 2002, but it doesn’t stand the test of time and it’s not like the match was a decade ago. And don’t think we’ve seen the last of it; you know both men are going to want to have a Wrestlemania match together so this feud that will never die but should have died will come back to haunt us once again.

Guest TheGreatWesuke

Ahmed Johnson vs Farooq went on forever! Of course, Farooq injured Ahmed the night he showed up and put him out for awhile, so that extended the feud right there.

It just seemed like for the better part of 2 years every interview Ahmed gave would start in his mumbling incomprehensible voice:

Ahmed: FAHHWOOK!! YOUHZ GOIN DHOWN!!

I seem to remember Curt Hennig having a really long feud in WCW...I want to say against DDP, but I'm not 100% sure. Guess it wasn't that bad because I can't remember his opponent, but they wrestled each other a bunch of times with no real reasoning.

Torrie Wilson/Dawn Marie. Or any Torrie feud, for that matter, she should never wrestle again. She's a natural manager, I cannot see why she isn't getting behind some plucky babyface or the airhead hanging with a heel(Masters perhaps?)

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Mankind/Rock 1998-1999 (Was there a need for that third match at St. Valentine's Day Massacre?)

SSeries

Rock Bottom

RAW title Change

Halftime Heat

Royal Rumble

St Val's Mass.

RAW title change the night after ST Val's

Hogan vs. Flair in WCW. God, what, two years was it? And Flair got one actual pinfall victory despite being the most popular wrestler in the feud as a heel? Ugh.

Just to add, I didn't think HBK-Taker went too long at all. Everything between Summerslam and Badd Blood (only 2 months) was great, and then they stayed away from each other until January, where they only feuded a month tops. The only thing lacking was a proper blowoff.

I thought the night after the casket burning, with DX barbequeing, was quite funny for my 15 or 16 year old self.

I had no problems with the UT/Shawn feud since it had a couple twists and turns and also a little thing called Montreal in between PPVs.

I might be the only one but I thought the whole RVD/Jerry Lynn program lasted entirely too long in ECW. At some point I just got sick of it and wanted Lynn to just WIN THE TV BELT, if nothing else so Van Dam could move on to the world title. Instead they ended up feuding from roughly Living Dangerously 99 all the way to ECW's last PPV.

They should have just changed the title in that one awesome TNN match where Lynn had the broken ribs. In fact had Taz not signed with the WWF I think that might have happened...RVD drops the TV title in that match, goes on to beat Taz for the world title at N2R 99.

Rick Steiner Vs. Scott Steiner, good lord that was mind numbing to see continue.

Undertaker/Orton.

This gets my vote. It went on for nearly a year and ended in Orton jobbing.

What was the point?

Dusty Rhodes vs. Every top heel in the NWA.

Hunter vs. Shawn. This was an incredibly overrated program that was kept going and going for all the reasons that have helped turn WWE into a personal vehicle for two people. The only good match Hunter and Shawn ever had was at Summerslam in 2002, but it doesn’t stand the test of time and it’s not like the match was a decade ago. And don’t think we’ve seen the last of it; you know both men are going to want to have a Wrestlemania match together so this feud that will never die but should have died will come back to haunt us once again.

12/29/03 Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels ****1/4 was the only other good one on one match these two produced. It was on a Raw episode.

Eddie/Rey... March 2005-September 2005. It started out fantastic. Everything from WM up to just past Judgment Day was really good. Once Rey's kid got involved and Eddie jobbed every week, it started going way downhill.

Having just watched the match from Judgment Day today I want to add my agreement. The build up to that match was fantastic. After that it went downhill fast.