TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sylvan Grenier

Book recommendations

I haven't read that Mailer book. I probably should.

I did read a nice little biography of Steve Earle, Hardcore Troubador, recently. Not sure how he's still alive/touring.

Just Finished: Crime and Punishment

What did you think of this? It's the one book that I keep getting too distracted by other fiction to read.

Matigari and Xala. One is basically about communism, with a jab at Christians, and the other is about a guy who is impotent (Xala has a kickass ending).

Just Finished: Crime and Punishment

What did you think of this? It's the one book that I keep getting too distracted by other fiction to read.

It's pretty tight, if tough going at first. Not because it's "difficult"; all the characters are kind of despicable at the start. I warmed up to it eventually, and even found the ending kind of moving.

On Deck: Already Dead, by Denis Johnson

Not digging this so much, but it hasn't been weak enough to put down. A little too heavy on the mysticism for my liking, and far too many scenes of philosophical wankery. It has a lot of funny parts, though, and Johnson comes up with some really beautiful writing. Which is enough to keep me going. Unless the books starts knocking it out of the park in the second half, this will definitely go down as my least favorite of the books of his I've read.

1. Jesus' Son

2. Tree of Smoke

3. Angels

======

4. Already Dead

Reading Bret Hart's book right now. It's pretty good, I was afraid of hearing all of his stories through shoot interviews and whatnot, but there's good stuff there.

Also read Snuff by Chuck Pal...uh, the author of Choke and Fight Club. Solid, very fast read, but not his best work

Robert Caro will be on CSPAN's Q&A tonight at 8e/7c. He wrote Power Broker about Robert Moses and is now working on the 4th volume of his epic biography of Lyndon Johnson.

Guest Czecherbear

Ooh! I should get that book. I've always wanted to read more about Robert Moses.

Breezed through Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Cautiously recommended for those who enjoy interesting ideas amidst shoddy research and crap.

I have not kept up with this thread, so I apologize if this has been discussed. Is anyone else a fan of Agatha Christie's works? I have always had an affinity for mystery stories or detectives in general, and Christie has always been my favorite writer in that genre, including Sir Arthar Conan Doyle.

Ooh! I should get that book. I've always wanted to read more about Robert Moses.

It's definitly the best way to learn about him. The book also takes a good look at power, its human ramifications, and its staus in America (also a theme inside the LBJ books).

Still on "Nixonland", though I'm starting to read "High Cotton" by Joe Lansdale.

My wife is a huge Agatha Christie fan. She's trying to get me to read them.

I recently finished the Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix and Missing in Action by Peter David before that. I'm about to finish Watchmen and I'll probably read The Giver on the plane flight from Paris to Atlanta this Wednesday.

I got David Morrell's The Spy Who Came for Christmas for, well, Christmas. I read it in about 4 days, in 50 page sessions. Really good book, and highly recommended.

I'm about to start on Generation Kill.

Also read Snuff by Chuck Pal...uh, the author of Choke and Fight Club. Solid, very fast read, but not his best work

I'm just finishing up Choke now and it's the first Palahniuk that I've read. I loved it. I know that some people say that it's one of his least interesting works, but I was hooked. Any suggestions on what I should go for next? I was thinking either Survivor or Invisible Monsters.

I also finished up The Average American Male. It's a light read. Mild recommendation if you're into stuff like Assholes Finish First, but I'd stay away if you have any aversion to reading a book obviously designed for the Maxim-reading crowd.

I've got a little bit left on Artie Lange's Too Fat to Fish. Funny anecdotes, but nothing you haven't heard him tell a million different times on the Howard Stern Show.

My next project is Team of Rivals. I've got a little bit done and I want to get into it, but I hate lugging it around. It's awkward to hold and carry. I'll probably have to devote a weekend in the future to tackling this bad boy.

My upcoming reading:

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Carl Von Clausewitz, On War

T.E. Lawrence, Revolt in the Desert

Alfred Thayer Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History 1660-1783 (Also available here)

E.H. Carr, The Twenty Years Crisis, 1919-1939

John Kelsay, Arguing the Just War in Islam

Thucydides, The Landmark Thucydides

Vo Nguyen Giap, People’s War, People’s Army

Marc Trachtenberg, History and Strategy

Peter Paret and Gordon Craig, Makers of Modern Strategy

Andrew Bacevich, The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism

Hans Delbruck, Medieval Warfare

Stephen Biddle, Military Power: Explaining Victory and Defeat in Modern Battle. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2004

Wayne Hughes, Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat, 2nd edition (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1999).

Carl H. Builder, The Masks of War (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1989).

Michael Walzer, Just and Unjust Wars (New York: Basic, 2000).

Kenneth Pollack, Arabs at War (Lincoln; University of Nebraska Press, 2002)

Reiter, Dan and Allan C. Stam. 2002. Democracies at War. Princeton University Press.

My compiled reading list for this semester:

Maria Edgeworth, Castle Rackrent

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone

Sir Richard Burton, Sir Richard Burton's Travels in Arabia and Africa

Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Thomas Mofolo, Chaka

Modern Irish Drama

Gertrude Bell, Arab Warlords

E.M. Hull, The Sheik

E.M. Forster, A Passage to India

Waguih Ghali, Beer in the Snooker Club

Ama Ata Aidoo, No Sweetness Here

Khushwant Singh, Train to Pakistan

Amitav Ghosh, The Calcutta Chromosome

Colm Toibin, Lady Gregory's Toothbrush

Zakes Mda, Heart of Redness

Yasmine Zahran, A Beggar at Damascus Gate

Jane Austen, Catherine and Other Writings

Jane Austen, Lady Susan/The Watsons/Sandition

Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

Jane Austen, Emma

Jane Austen, Persuasion

The Marx-Engels Reader

That's a lot of books I haven't read! Though I've longed toyed with reading A Passage to India.

Currently reading Peter Matthiessen's Shadow Country. Once I finish that, I'll either start Saul Bellow's Humboldt's Gift or Nabokov's Ada or Ardor.

Though I've longed toyed with reading A Passage to India.

You should do that. It rocks.

Nabokov's Ada or Ardor.

I read this two summers ago and I think a good 75% of it went right over my head. The writing is somewhat obscurantist (even by VN's standards) and (IIRC) the time-line is super-confusing and the genealogy of the Veen family is absurdly convoluted. The only thing that kept me from giving up on the book completely was the supple beauty of the prose. Maybe I'm just retarded, though.

My upcoming reading:

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

It'd be hard to say that The Art of War isn't worth reading considering how small its word count must be, but you won't find anything that isn't useless and obvious in it.

I once had a prof who absolutely loved Ada, his favorite Nabokov by far and one of his favorite books ever. I've taken note of the decidedly mixed response it's gotten elsewhere. We'll see how it goes!

I should probably throw that Forster somewhere in the mix. I need a shorterish book; the novel I'm currently reading is 900 pages long. The Nabokov is 600 pages and the Bellow is 500 pages.

just started on VN's own 'pale fire' a couple nights ago. those 4 cantos are awesomely beautiful. not really a poem per se, it meshed a lot better when i thought of them as prose which happened to rhyme.

i'll have to see how well it holds up through the endnotes. there's something about the way nabokov tries to write academics that seems just weird and false to me. i had the same problem with 'pnin', and it kept me from wanting to finish the book.

I like Nabokov, but am unable to love him. He sometimes writes very beautifully and is occasionally very funny (there are some screamingly hilarious moments in Pale Fire, which, hey, I guess there's another writer who's made me laugh), but there's something mannered about his prose that I find off-putting. He's also a word-drunk. So, if I were so set on reading something by him, perhaps I should've picked something other than the 600-page epic that a number of his admirers consider to be one of his lesser works.

My upcoming reading:

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

It'd be hard to say that The Art of War isn't worth reading considering how small its word count must be, but you won't find anything that isn't useless and obvious in it.

Eh, it depends somewhat on which translation you get. Some are far superior to others. Editions with a bunch of footnotes and supplemental info tend to be the better ones, usually, though not always. Regardless of all that the book is always pretty short and does indeed include several Captain Obvious moments, but it's got some interesting stuff in there too.

But if you ever wanna throw some time away on a REALLY overhyped "classic" treatise on medieval warfare, look no farther than The Book of Five Rings. You could make a drinking game out of it: take a shot every time the book tells you to meditate deeply on the meaning of something in order to understand it, rather than just explaining to you what the fuck it means.

My upcoming reading:

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Carl Von Clausewitz, On War

T.E. Lawrence, Revolt in the Desert

Alfred Thayer Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History 1660-1783 (Also available here)

E.H. Carr, The Twenty Years Crisis, 1919-1939

John Kelsay, Arguing the Just War in Islam

Thucydides, The Landmark Thucydides

Vo Nguyen Giap, People’s War, People’s Army

Marc Trachtenberg, History and Strategy

Peter Paret and Gordon Craig, Makers of Modern Strategy

Andrew Bacevich, The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism

Hans Delbruck, Medieval Warfare

John Grogan, Marley and Me

Stephen Biddle, Military Power: Explaining Victory and Defeat in Modern Battle. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2004

Wayne Hughes, Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat, 2nd edition (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1999).

Carl H. Builder, The Masks of War (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1989).

Michael Walzer, Just and Unjust Wars (New York: Basic, 2000).

Kenneth Pollack, Arabs at War (Lincoln; University of Nebraska Press, 2002)

Reiter, Dan and Allan C. Stam. 2002. Democracies at War. Princeton University Press.

EFA