TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Playoffs thread...

Guest Princess Leena

I'm the only one picking Buffalo.

Their better depth will lead them to victory. And Miller will stand on his head. Holla.

NHL Awards:

Calder: Ovechkin...but only slightly over the two of them.

Selke: Brind'Amour

Hart: Thornton. No two ways about this one.

Adams: Ruff. This was a tough one.

Norris: Niedermayer...no love for Chara, Redden or Visnovsky?

Pearson: Jagr had a better season per se than Thornton. But Thornton did more for his team, thus the Hart nod.

Vezina: Kipper. A northwest crown despite a less than stellar season by Iginla.

Hart: Thornton. No two ways about this one.

Ok. Both Jagr (injured basically the entire series) and Thorton (no goals) were pretty quiet in their first round series. The Rangers did NOTHING offensivley, and couldn't score or generate offense at all, while San jose was FINE with Thorton with Marleau and Cheecho and Ekman all on this team scoring! I'm sorry Jagr is the MVP of the NHL its just a fact. The Rangers are SHIT without him.

The NHL regular season awards are not based on the playoffs. When the Sharks stole---traded for Thornton, they were 10-13-4...they ended up 44-27-11. Thornton won the scoring title and made a star out of his linemate Jon Cheechoo, who doubled his goal total from the last season. Without Thornton, there's a question of whether they even get close to the playoffs. Jagr played all 82 games in the regular season, performed admirably and had a great season. But as much as it pains me to say it, Joe Thornton was the most valuable player this past season.

Another stat that twists the knife even more for me:

Joe Thornton played in 58 games with the Sharks. He had 20 goals and 72 assists in those 58 games. 92 points in 58 fucking games. That's just...goddamn. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep.

I'm not saying the MVP is decided by the playoffs, I'm saying the performances of both Jagr and Thorton in the playoffs showed that Jagr is more essential to the Rangers than Thorton is to San Jose. The Rangers CAN'T DO SHIT without Jagr, while Thorton had Marleau, and Cheecho (Yes Thorton made him better but he had 30 freaking goals the year before.) I'm sorry, Jagr was SOLEY responsible for the career years of Nylander and Straka, who both can't finish for shit. Put a legitamite sniper on Jagrs line and I bet he has atleast 150 points. Add in the fact the Jagr had NOBODY in the D corps to pass to, I'm just sorry, he was the MVP. The Rangers were absolutley NOTHING without him. Of course Thorton had a incredible season, but the Rangers are DEAD DEAD DEAD last without Jagr.

Give it to Jagr, only because the thought of Thornton winning the Hart after fucking the dog in Boston fills me with rage.

I'm not saying the MVP is decided by the playoffs, I'm saying the performances of both Jagr and Thorton in the playoffs showed that Jagr is more essential to the Rangers than Thorton is to San Jose. The Rangers CAN'T DO SHIT without Jagr, while Thorton had Marleau, and Cheecho (Yes Thorton made him better but he had 30 freaking goals the year before.) I'm sorry, Jagr was SOLEY responsible for the career years of Nylander and Straka, who both can't finish for shit. Put a legitamite sniper on Jagrs line and I bet he has atleast 150 points. Add in the fact the Jagr had NOBODY in the D corps to pass to, I'm just sorry, he was the MVP. The Rangers were absolutley NOTHING without him. Of course Thorton had a incredible season, but the Rangers are DEAD DEAD DEAD last without Jagr.

Thornton does not play with Marleau except for in certain power play situations. Cheechoo had something like 7 goals before Thornton came to San Jose. Thornton has had a hand in some fucking ridiculous amount like 50 of Cheechoo's goals. Give Thornton a whole season with that team, and I'll guarantee that he'll have 150 points (at least, maybe more), 110 of them being assists. Plus, they were near last in the West before he came. He has one decent offensive defenseman (besides Carle, who does not count because he only played 15 games). Thornton causes the other team to do everything in their power to stop him, which is when the line of Michalek-Marleau-Bernier absolutely destroys the other team. Because of that, Bernier led the league in goals in either March or April (don't remember). It's a no contest as far as I'm concerned, and I hate the Sharks.

I'm going to be bold and say that Jagr has a fight for most valuable on his own team with Henrik Lundqvist. Lundqvist had fewer losses than Kevin Weekes this season, while playing in about twice as many games. If Kevin Weekes is their starting goalie for the whole season, the Rangers don't make the playoffs.

My picks:

Hart - Thornton

Norris - Lidstrom

Calder - Ovechkin

Vezina - Kiprusoff

Selke - Fisher

Pearson - Jagr

Adams - Laviolette

Lady Byng - Datsyuk (when it doubt, give it to the guy with the fewest PIM)

CALDER: Ovechkin

SELKE: Lehtinen

HART: Thornton

ADAMS: Laviolette

NORRIS: Lidstrom

PEARSON: Ovechkin

VEZINA: Kiprusoff

BYNG: Datsyuk

RE: Thornton vs. Jagr for the Hart ... CChris beat me to the punch: I'm not convinced that Jagr is the most valuable person on the Rangers, let alone in the league. Jagr might be the better player, but he's not the most valuable. I can't think of a single player acquisition that turned around a team's season more than SJ picking up Thornton.

RE: The Flames fans ... it takes more than drunken meatheads convincing drunken girls to show their tirts on the Red Mile to become the best fans in the league, IMHO.

RE: The Flames fans ... it takes more than drunken meatheads convincing drunken girls to show their tirts on the Red Mile to become the best fans in the league, IMHO.

There's no convincing to it, just yell "SHIRTS OFF FOR KIPRUSOFT" and ladies will take off their shirts.

Guest Felonies!

Certainly gets them to top 5.

There's no convincing to it, just yell "SHIRTS OFF FOR KIPRUSOFT" and ladies will take off their shirts.

Let me reword it my statement then: it takes more than drunken meatheads leering while drunken girls show their tirts on the Red Mile to become the best fans in the league, IMHO.

Fun game so far. The OLN coverage for the playoffs has been VASTLY improved from the regular season coverage. Commentary is great tonight, camera angles are sharp and allow you to see the play well, and the graphics aren't too annoying. The FOXSPORTS sounds that the graphics make are very annoying, but I suppose I'll get used to that.

4-4 after two. I still say that Buffalo can't get into a firefight with Ottawa. Too much depth on Ottawa and we still haven't really heard from their third line players that always score crippling goals.

Buffalo can trade punches for 3 or 4 games due to their great depth, but eventually Ottawa's superior talent is going to slow them down.

I want Ottawa to win, but it looked like they got away with a major offside on that goal. Not to sure, because I haven't seen any replays, but they looked offside to me.

Edit: WOW. Buffalo TIES IT. This is insane.

That was one wild game. No joke -- I called a 6-5 game as we were settling into our seats, and when Smoke scored with 1:13 left, I was standing up with both fists raised, celebrating, because I was SURE that was it. I also called that the game would be over within 30 seconds of the puck dropping in OT, because that's how the entire game had gone.

Here's the thing...Ottawa played their absolute worst game of the season defensively, and still only lost in OT. Meszaros was horrible, Chara was invisible, Emery gave up a couple of real softies (the 6th goal was inexcusable; all he had to do was fall on the puck), everyone seemed to be fanning on clearing attempts and giving up odd-man rushes, and Volchenkov's mistake in OT was a back-breaker. BUT, Ottawa was almost scoring at will against a Buffalo defense that really didn't play badly. If Ottawa can get even a decent defensive performance, there's no way Buffalo is going to be able to keep up with them as the series wears on.