TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

I dont think anything has made me laugh more in a theater than Thanksgiving. It made me tear.

Also, Freddy Rodriguez was awesome in Planet Terror.

The girl landing vagina-first on the knife, and the cooked dead chick with the baster stuck up her, and then the killer later fucking said dead chick as she was tied up like a turkey... ewww. The very definition of Do Not Want.

I did find that trailer a bit difficult to re-watch when the movie was on TV in March.

Is Brainscan the movie about the video game that hypnotizes you to murder people? I love that movie (and generally any movie where a teenager has a "mid 90s room" full of posters and computerized butlers that want to use modems to play video games.

The girl landing vagina-first on the knife, and the cooked dead chick with the baster stuck up her, and then the killer later fucking said dead chick as she was tied up like a turkey... ewww. The very definition of Do Not Want.

Do us a favor Jingus-stop commenting on horror movies.

I did find that trailer a bit difficult to re-watch when the movie was on TV in March.

Is Brainscan the movie about the video game that hypnotizes you to murder people? I love that movie (and generally any movie where a teenager has a "mid 90s room" full of posters and computerized butlers that want to use modems to play video games.

Yes that is BRAINSCAN, and it was a kick ass movie. Saw it for the first time the other day and loved it.

I'm addicted to "Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmer" and "Man vs. Wild."

So went and saw a few flicks on labor day, with next to nobody in either theater.

Death Race: I was actually surprised how much I got into this. I loved Death Race 2000, and this held up well as a pseudo-remake (bit different storyline all around though). Kind of reminded me of Shoot Em Up in a way, a bit hokey and hard to believe, but so over the top in spots it worked.

Traitor: Dissapointing film, very plodding and tedious at times. The pace was horrible, just seemed to never end. Nearly fell asleep a few times. Cheadle did well in his role, but there was just not enough meat on the bone as far as connecting with his character to really care about what was going on. Same with Guy Ritchie, just poor character development. If that would have been stronger, it would have been good as the story was actually semi-interesting at its' base.

For my birthday my parents bought me "The Critic" DVD set. Does anyone else think that the concept of this show could work today?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Oh man, Zimmern's the shit. I'd try nearly anything he eats on there. Bugs and stuff on sticks? No problem. Organ meat? I'll have seconds. Hakarl? I'd give it a go. Ditto Jellied Moose nose.

But FUCK a bunch of Balut.

For my birthday my parents bought me "The Critic" DVD set. Does anyone else think that the concept of this show could work today?

An animated series full of non-sequitir movie parodies? Never last an episode;)

Darren Aronosfsky's "The Wrestler" was awarded the Golden Lion for best picture at the Venice film festival today. The film, starring Mickey Rourke in what has been tagged as his comeback film, has received nothing but critical acclaim since it started the film festival circuit in the last several days.

Holy fuck... there's serious Oscar talk right now going on for Rourke.

Darren Aronosfsky's "The Wrestler" was awarded the Golden Lion for best picture at the Venice film festival today.

How long after these film festivals do films usually get released theatrically? I loved "The Fountain" and with all the rave reviews it's getting I'm looking forward to seeing "The Wrestler".

What's the general opinion of Ethan Hawke around here? Recently I've noticed that he's in a lot of my favorite movies (Gattaca, Great Expectations, Before Sunrise) despite not being one of my favorite actors.

I've always thought he was a mediocre actor. Absolutely hated his Hamlet. He does however seem to have either a great agent or a great ability to pick roles, since he keeps getting high-profile roles (like Training Day) which have somehow kept him from being a forgotten relic of Generation X like he probably should've been.

Weird there's not a thread here for True Blood. Anyone else catch it? Seemed like a pretty generic and predictable show, especially by HBO Original standards.

Yeah my assessment for Hawke is pretty much the same as Jingus'. A mediocre to passable actor who's picked some great roles.

I remember his version of Hamlet was the absolute worst out of all of the film adaptations we watched in Senior English but everybody else seemed to pour the hate on Kenneth Branagh's version though for some reason. I guess my English teacher's passionate hatred of him rubbed off on the rest of the class cause I remember it being gimmicky and a bit over the top but not all that terrible.

Most people always seemed to love Branagh's, but I always found him a little overrated. Everything he's ever directed tends to be wildly melodramatic and over-the-top; see his Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for a particularly headache-inducing example. Such a style can be fine, if you're doing something light and frothy like Much Ado About Nothing. But I prefer my Hamlets dark and broody, so Branagh & co. overacting a mile a minute while the background music loudly saws away for four goddamn hours was exhausting. And why the random shit with casting recognizable stars like Jack Lemmon in tiny meaningless parts? That's more distracting than anything else.

But yeah, it was like Olivier's version compared to the Hawke crapfest. That was real poo. Even all the good actors came off like they didn't know what the fuck they were doing in that one.

The word that comes to mind for Branagh's Hamlet is excessive. Too over the top, too many unneccessary cameos (Though I actually liked Billy Crystal and Charlton Heston's bit parts), just too much of everything. I don't think you could pay me to watch all four hours of it in one sitting but I liked it a hell of a lot better than Hawke's.

Honestly, I dug The Mel Gibson version the most out of the ones we watched. We didn't see Laurence Olivier's because the teacher thought that the class would think it was boring because it was black and white. Sadly, she was probably right. Same reason we didn't watch the film adaptation of The Grapes of Wrath. Stupid kids!

'bizarre foods' would be a sort of interesting concept i think if zimmern wasn't so grating. for a food writer he has a pretty puny vocabulary, and his whole on-air personality is just weird tv-host mugging and trying to be funny.

bourdain has spoiled me on travel shows. save for the american southwest, this past season especially of 'no reservations' has been great.

Off Topic: The VMA's was awful. Kanye did all that bitching last year to end the show like that?

How the fuck did Spears win 3 awards?

Yeah, it was a really bad show, only really good thing I can say is that it looked visually great on MTV-HD. The studio lot idea was cool in theory, but came across pretty weird and just plain retarded, especially that Pink and Jonas Brothers shit. Some of the other stuff, like Paramore and Kid Rock, was just lame. Lil Wayne was horrible. Rihanna was the only performer who was even worth watching, and that was even a stretch. Christina Aguliara was lip synching really badly. And that shit with Kanye West at the end was just kind of "umm, that's it?" I also didn't get the point of the "house band" BS when, well, there wasn't even a full band there, it was a fucking DJ and Travis Barker?!

The last two VMAs, and a handful of others, have been so over the top with how its scripted that its not even entertaining unless you're a 12 year old girl. It's so bad, it's just........bad. I still think last years show takes the cake as the most clusterfuck ever, though.

Basically, it felt like Britney Spears paid off the producers of the show, it just seemed so cosmetic and fake on all accounts.

Russell Brand also bombed out pretty hard here, I've seen funny spots from him before, but he came off annoying and ridiculous here.

When you have Kobe Bryant presenting the final award of the night, well.....

I just read the article that Yahoo.com put up about the MTV awards, Yahoo made it really sound like it was the Britney Spears award show. Is that how the MTV Award show really came off as?

I just read the article that Yahoo.com put up about the MTV awards, Yahoo made it really sound like it was the Britney Spears award show. Is that how the MTV Award show really came off as?

Pretty much......they did this long winded "entrance" for her to start the show, akin to how they used to do for Goldberg all the time in WCW (have the cameras follow backstage, have a person knock on the dressing room door, follow her to the stage, etc), she welcomes everyone to the awards, and then she wins three awards (wins in every category she is nominated in, IIRC) on top of it. Seemed extremely fake and set up, like I said, almost that they paid off MTV to promote her like crazy. When she kept getting announced as winning, she seemed less than surprised she won, on top of it, making me think it was rigged.

Plus, she ended the show with Russell Brand, driving off the "set" stage.