TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

He can even make an impact in roles where he shouldn't be able to. Like, in Inside Man, where he was basically just Denzel Washington's sidekick and didn't have much to work with. Still made it memorable. He's one of the best newly discovered actors of this decade, easily.

Jesus Christ is "Hell Ride" boring. Not even Dennis Hopper, Michael Madsen, or Vinnie Jones could save this.

I think Tarentino has lost his touch or something, because I thought Death Proof was really boring too. Haven't seen Hell Ride, but that movie's plot didn't sound like it would be boring.

Jesus Christ is "Hell Ride" boring. Not even Dennis Hopper, Michael Madsen, or Vinnie Jones could save this.

Yea, Hell Ride was pretty bad. David Carradine and Hopper were awesome though. Way too many strippers fucking the writer-director.

Also, DarKnight, QT only helped the star (forget his name) get the movie made. He really had nothing to do with the creative end.

Saw the trailer for the new Coen Brothers movie, Burn Before Reading (I think that was the title) that's definately worth checking out. Looks hilarious and rather in the same vein of style akin to Big Lebowski. Apparently is coming out Sept. 12 already, lookin forward to it.

I think Tarentino has lost his touch or something, because I thought Death Proof was really boring too. Haven't seen Hell Ride, but that movie's plot didn't sound like it would be boring.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I thought Death Proof was better than Planet Terror. Not that Planet Terror wasn't awesome, but I just enjoyed Death Proof more.

Death Proof is solid up until Stuntman Mike gets shot. I realize what he was going for with the Girl Power stuff, but the movie isn't as good after that, because Kurt Russell is so awesome in this, and then he turns into a little girl, I don't want to see that. Hell, if he gotten away, it might have been better, instead we get Rosario Dawson and her stupid haircut stomping on his head. I'd say from when Russell shows up at the bar until he gets shot, it's probably better than Planet Terror (the shot of Stuntman Mike getting into his car, flicking his cigarette and smiling at the camera is so fucking great), but I just can't get past how much I dislike the ending.

If anything, I thought the last 20 minutes of Death Proof is the only stuff worth watching in it. Planet Terror was miles better, I mean, its not even close. Planet Terror has the awesome spoof of zombie movies feel to it, with the bad camera and such, and its also non-stop violence everywhere. I don't know why when Grindhouse was released in theaters, they decided to have Death Proof go last, because it would have made more sense for that to be the first movie to then build up to the violence of Planet Terror. My bad, I thought Tarentino had a bigger role in the making of Hell Ride, like produced it or something.

So I'm going to buy a new HDTV. The one I have right now is an HD tube TV (i got it because it was cheap) and if I'm not mistaken it only does 1080i.

All the ones at Best Buy that I can afford are advertised as 720p. I know there's a debate as to which is better, but if I buy one will it display both?

Which do you guys think is better?

Also (i know this part belongs in the video games forum) but when I get the new TV and I set my X-Box 360 display settings should I set them on 1080i or 720p?

I watched both BRAINSCAN and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK on Fearnet on demand today. It was my first time seeing both of these films, and I loved both of them, with ESCAPE being just simply awesome.

Well I bought a new Toshiba 46 inch LCD 1080p TV. However, my cable box is saying everything is being broadcast to me in 1080i. I know 1080p only works on blu-ray but I figured ESPN would be in 720p.

Also does the X-Box 360 not do 1080p?

From cinemablend.com-

Sam Jackson has come out in support of something I’ve been bitching about for years. Sam and I agree… strippers who don’t strip suck.

His new movie Lakeview Terrace apparently has a big bachelor party scene with three strippers in it. Unfortunately Sam tells ShowBizSpy, “But it is a PG movie, so there aren't any titties. We have three strippers at the party, and none of them have their top off.” It’s not just that they don’t show any nudity, apparently there’s not even any implied nudity. Sam complains, “How does that work? I'm like, come on! You could show the girl from the back, with her back bare. At least it gives a sense that she was naked. You can't just show them in their bras and panties. You have forty drunken cops in a house with three strippers? And nobody is naked? I don't f***ing think so!”

That does seem like a strange decision. Lakeview Terrace is actually PG-13, so showing a few bare backs at least definitely wouldn’t have hurt the rating. I’m not saying every movie needs to have nudity, but if you’re not going to have any nudity, then why write in characters whose profession it is to be naked? Maybe the bachelor party could have rented some of those gigantic, padded sumo suits, or brought in an inflatable bounce castle instead. Hollywood continues to be the only place in the world where strippers don’t actually do any stripping. Way to be realistic. Cut it out. Sam needs boobies, and I think he deserves them.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I thought Death Proof was better than Planet Terror. Not that Planet Terror wasn't awesome, but I just enjoyed Death Proof more.

I'm with you, I really liked Planet Terror, but I prefered Death Proof.

I've noticed that for the most part, people who liked Death Proof better still liked Planet Terror, but people who liked Planet Terror better generally didn't like Death Proof.

RIP, Don LaFontaine.

Yeah. Was he going strong these past few years in terms of doing those commercials?

And I'll take Planet Terror over Death Proof. Death Proof was boring as shit till Stuntman Mike showed up. Even after he showed up, the girls blabbing on and on. I think they could have cut down their dialogue.

Grindhouse as a whole was probably my favorite experience in a theater.

Damn, I saw Don LaFontaine in a Geico commercial not long ago and he seemed to be doing well. Movie trailers will never be the same. RIP.

RIP, Don LaFontaine.

Yeah. Was he going strong these past few years in terms of doing those commercials?

And I'll take Planet Terror over Death Proof. Death Proof was boring as shit till Stuntman Mike showed up. Even after he showed up, the girls blabbing on and on. I think they could have cut down their dialogue.

Grindhouse as a whole was probably my favorite experience in a theater.

Yeah, that was my problem with Death Proof as well. Too much pointless dialogue. Planet Terror is my preference.

I’m not saying every movie needs to have nudity, but if you’re not going to have any nudity, then why write in characters whose profession it is to be naked? Hollywood continues to be the only place in the world where strippers don’t actually do any stripping.

This trend even continues in R-rated movies too. How many times have we seen a movie where a name actress plays either a hooker or a stripper as the leading lady, yet never gets naked? I Know Who Killed Me comes to mind for one recent example.

I've noticed that for the most part, people who liked Death Proof better still liked Planet Terror, but people who liked Planet Terror better generally didn't like Death Proof.

I'm pretty much the sole exception to the rule, in that I liked Death Proof and didn't like Planet Terror. I actually enjoyed just watching the chicks talk, had no problem with those parts at all. And the car chases were BADASS, and I usually am bored to death by car chases.

Then again, I'm also the guy who though Dolph Lundgren's Punisher was better than Thomas Jane's, and preferred House of 1000 Corpses over The Devil's Rejects. I am a majority of one.

Well I bought a new Toshiba 46 inch LCD 1080p TV. However, my cable box is saying everything is being broadcast to me in 1080i. I know 1080p only works on blu-ray but I figured ESPN would be in 720p.

Also does the X-Box 360 not do 1080p?

You need to buy a separate HDMI cable to get 1080p.

The only thing that bugs me about Death Proof dialogue wise was the whole "kinda cute kinda sexy kinda funny but not funny looking" thing. That got old the first time I heard it, and of course they repeated it 4 or so times after that. Otherwise I thought everything was good and built really well to the chase scene.

Anyone here seen "Home Sick" yet?

I actually wanted to leave the theatre after Planet Terror was over with, but then remembered that Death Proof was coming on and hoped QT could pull it through. It was ten times the movie that Planet Terror was.

That's pretty much how I felt too. (And Eli Roth's absolutely sickening display of misogyny in his Thanksgiving trailer sure as hell didn't make me feel any better.) Although it was a free screening that I'd ridden to with a couple of buddies, so walking out wasn't an option. Then again, I've never been much of a fan of Robert Rodriguez's work, besides El Mariachi and Sin City. Often felt like his action flicks are unnecessarily sadistic and brutal in their ultaviolence, overgore, and generally nihilistic tones.