TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

Sandler, Apatow and Seth are working together:

Sandler, Rogen, Mann cast in Apatow comedy

Monday, March 10 2008, 14:14 GMT

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen and Leslie Mann have been cast in an untitled Judd Apatow comedy.

The film will begin production in late summer or early autumn and is a co-production between Universal and Sony Pictures.

Apatow, who will write and direct the film, is currently keeping the plot for his Knocked Up follow-up under wraps.

All three actors have worked with Apatow before. Sandler co-wrote the upcoming You Don't Mess with the Zohan with him, while Rogen has starred in several Apatow projects including The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Leslie Mann, who is married to the director, first worked with him on The

Am I the only one who thinks No Country For Old Men was just really boring? Maybe I'm missing something here. I just saw it for the first time today, and I kept thinking that SOMETHING was going to happen, and then... it's over. I haven't been this disappointed by a movie in a long, long time.

Just now got around to watching the season finale of October Road on my dvr (what do you mean I'm the only one watching?)... Anyway, it struck me as somewhat amusing that, for the hubbub that was made at the time about Stacy Keibler leaving the WWE for an acting career, this season finale of a seemingly underappreciated tv show, some two years later at that, is the first thing I've ever seen her in.

EDIT - Upon further review, I guess she's been in other shit that I just didn't watch. Oh well; it's not like I've been looking for her, or anything.

She wasn't even good in WWE backstage skits, the chances of her having a credible acting career are slim to none. But yeah, I could see her on daytime soap.

Well, I'm sure the writers on Days of Our Lives are just slightly better then WWE's pile of rejects.

She wasn't even good in WWE backstage skits, the chances of her having a credible acting career are slim to none. But yeah, I could see her on daytime soap.

Well, I'm sure the writers on Days of Our Lives are just slightly better then WWE's pile of rejects.

Since alot of the WWE writers are failed Soap writers, that statement would be accurate.

Am I the only one who thinks No Country For Old Men was just really boring? Maybe I'm missing something here. I just saw it for the first time today, and I kept thinking that SOMETHING was going to happen, and then... it's over. I haven't been this disappointed by a movie in a long, long time.

No, I've heard a few people say this, but they were mostly idiots. This isn't a slight on you, as I don't know you, but that's what happened. People who don't have any sense of cinema don't like it.

Stacy was a good actress by wrestling standards, but when you put her in a tv show with actual trained actors? It shows she's out of her depth.

As for her career:I remember reading she's still quite desperate to get herself noticed. You usually see pics of her at these premeire and parties and she goes to them soley for the photo ops and then leaves soon after. It turns out she's not even invited and has to PAY to get into them. That is not someone who's career is going well.

I don't know if she's happier away from WWE, but it seems likely she was making more working for Vince, than she is now getting one or two acting gigs a year on shows no one watches.

David Fincher will be a part of the next "Heavy Metal" movie

Paramount Pictures will make an animated film inspired by the '70s sci-fi fantasy magazine Heavy Metal, with director David Fincher spearheading the project.

"Heavy Metal" will be stamped by the erotic and violent storylines and images that remain the trademark of a magazine that debuted in the U.S. in 1977. The mag introduced the works of American artists and writers such as Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison and H.R. Giger.

The film will consist of eight or nine individual animated segments, each of which will be directed by a different helmer.

Fincher will direct one of the segments; Kevin Eastman, the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" co-creator who is now owner and publisher of Heavy Metal, will direct another. So will Tim Miller, whose Blur Studios will handle the animation for what is being conceived as an R-rated, adult-themed feature.

Fincher, Eastman and Miller will produce the film. The studio will lock in the other directors shortly. The mag previously spawned a 1981 animated feature and 2000 sequel.

One of the things that immediately sprang to mind after I read this was "So, who will/should be in the soundtrack?"

Well, let's look at the pro's and con's of the other two soundtracks:

Heavy Metal

1. Sammy Hagar - "Heavy Metal"

2. Riggs - "Heartbeat"

3. Devo - "Working in a Coalmine"

4. Blue Oyster Cult - "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"

5. Cheap Trick - "Reach Out"

6. Don Felder - "Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)"

7. Donald Fagen - "True Companion"

8. Nazareth - "Crazy (A Suitable Case for Treatment)"

9. Riggs - "Radar, Radar"

10. Journey - "Open Arms"

11. Grand Funk Railroad - "Queen Bee"

12. Cheap Trick - "I Must Be Dreamin'"

13. Black Sabbath - "The Mob Rules"

14. Don Felder - "All of You"

15. Trust - "Prefabricated"

16. Stevie Nicks - "Blue Lamp"

And the sequel...

Heavy Metal 2000

1. F.A.K.K.U. - "F.A.K.K.U."

2. Monster Magnet - "Silver Future"

3. MDFMK - "Missing Time"

4. Pantera - "Immortally Insane"

5. Zilch - "Inside the Pervert Mound"

6. Insane Clown Posse & Twiztid - "Dirt Ball"

7. System of a Down - "Storaged"

8. Sinisstar - "Psychosexy"

9. Queens of the Stone Age - "Infinity"

10. Machine Head - "Alcoholocaust"

11. Full Devil Jacket - "Green Iron Fist"

12. Hate Dept. - "Hit Back"

13. Puya - "Tirale"

14. Apartment 26 - "Dystopia"

15. Billy Idol - "Buried Alive"

16. Coal Chamber - "Wishes"

17. Bauhaus - "The Dog's a Vapour"

Both soundtracks suck a major wad. There are only a handful of real metal band represented on both (Black Sabbath, Pantera, Machine Head, and I'll even accept the stretch for System of a Down), and c'mon...FUCKING ICP AND TWIZTID?! ON A SOUNDTRACK CALLED HEAVY METAL?! The first one had the excuse of there not being much TRUE metal to choose from, as the name was pretty much attached to any form of rock n' roll that wasn't southern fried and had some doom-n'-gloom elements to it, but by 2000 there was nearly 20 years of shit to pick and choose from...ugh...

Who SHOULD be on the soundtrack? Mastodon, Fear Factory, a few power metal bands (since it's right up their alley), and probably Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom since they're attached to everything remotely metal these days.

Who WILL be on the soundtrack? Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage (including a music video with each member of the band playing a role in the movie), Rob Zombie, Seemless, and a whole bunch of KoRn-meets-Disturbed LITE bands.

In a bit of unexpected but pleasent news.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080317/media_nm/trailers_dc

Major theater chain restores raunchy trailers By Gregg Kilday

Sun Mar 16, 11:48 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - In a move that will allow movie studios to inject racy jokes into the trailers they use to promote their more adult-oriented films, the nation's largest theater chain has decided to permit restricted, "red band" trailers in its multiplexes.

The move by Regal Entertainment Group, which operates 6,388 screens in 39 states and the District of Columbia, likely will lead to similar decisions at a number of the nation's other major chains.

As last week's ShoWest convention of movie theater owners in Las Vegas drew to a close, the Knoxville, Tenn.-based circuit began notifying the studios of its decision.

The news was received enthusiastically by distributors who have had to promote such R-rated comedies as "Knocked Up" and "Superbad" with sanitized, green band trailers tailored for general audiences.

"This is going to be hugely helpful for us when we want to give targeted moviegoers a true sense of the kind of movies we are offering," said Adam Fogelson, Universal president of marketing and distribution. "I couldn't be happier or more grateful to the people at Regal for continuing the dialogue that has led to this decision."

The MPAA's Advertising Administration, which oversees the advertising materials used by its member studios, approves two types of trailers for use in the theaters. So-called green band trailers -- also known as green-tag trailers -- open with a green advisory card that reads "the following preview has been approved for all audiences." Red band trailers, which can appear only before R-rated, NC-17-rated or unrated movies, warn that "the following preview has been approved for restricted audiences only."

Studios once used red band trailers routinely, but theaters dropped them like hot potatoes after a 2000 Federal Trade Commission report criticizing the entertainment industry for marketing violent entertainment to children.

Exhibitors cut back on red band trailers out of fear of offending patrons and also out of a concern that in handling the dozen or so films screening in a modern multiplex, a red band trailer could be attached inadvertently to a G or PG movie.

The second problem should be eliminated, though, when theaters fully convert to digital, which will allow theater operators greater control and flexibility over the materials screening in each of their auditoriums.

"We had intended when we went to digital to begin to review trailers on a case-by-case basis, but we've decided to jump ahead of that," Regal senior vp marketing and advertising Dick Westerling said.

He explained that the chain's executives were sympathetic to the studios' arguments last summer when Sony said it would have liked to screen a red band trailer for "Superbad" in front of Universal's "Knocked Up." In recent months, Regal quietly has experimented with screening red band trailers at its Regal Cinema Art Theaters that show indie and specialty movies.

"We've been monitoring their use carefully," Westerling said. "And there haven't been any issues that have come up at the theater level. So based on the discussions we've been having, Regal has made the decision to program red band trailers on a case-by-case basis. We're confident that we can execute the new policy successfully."

In recent years, studios have continued to assemble red band trailers, but banned from the major theater chains, the trailers have appeared instead on the Internet, where the MPAA approves them only for sites that carry some age restrictions or make them accessible only during a late-night time period.

During a presentation at ShoWest, Universal's Fogelson showed exhibitors the red band trailer for the R-rated comedy "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," set to open April 18. With "Knocked Up's" Judd Apatow serving as one of its producers, the movie stars Jason Segel as a man trying to break up with his girlfriend, played by Kristen Bell. The movie's green band trailer establishes its premise and plot, while the red band trailer gives a much fuller taste of its raunchy humor and sexual calisthenics, and it had exhibitors laughing.

"I don't think anybody is arguing that all red band trailers are appropriate in front of all R-rated movies," Fogelson said. "For example, it would not be appropriate for a red band trailer for a movie like 'American Pie' to run in front of 'Schindler's List.' We all want to be smart and careful about the use of red band trailers, working closely with our partners in exhibition. We don't want moviegoers seeing material that is inconsistent with the movies they are going to see."

1999's "American Pie" was the last Universal movie that saw a red band trailer play in theaters, and Fogelson argued that the trailer -- which featured the infamous Jason Biggs pie scene -- was critical in establishing how the movie's tone differed from a lot of the teenage sex comedies that Hollywood produced in the 1980s.

Regal said it hasn't decided which red band trailers it will run first, but distributors indicated they'll be submitting trailers this week to Regal for consideration.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Both soundtracks suck a major wad.

Fuck that, the soundtrack to the first one is great (for the most part-there's a few clunkers)

So I was watching TV and flipped to BET and found:

Black Poker Superstars Invitational

followed by

Iron Ring (BET + UFC = Luda, Lil Jon, Floyd Mayweather and others coaching MMA atheletes for a 100k purse)

So reruns of The Critic are now airing on The Reelz Channel. Mondays at 6:30 P.M. Don't know if many people actually get The Reelz Channel but I just thought I'd let you guys know since there seems to be a sizable contingent of Critic fans on here.

On a semi-related note, The Reelz Channel is quickly becoming one of my favorites between reruns of The Critic, Ebert and Roeper, The Directors and Secret's Out With Leonard Maltin (I don't like Leonard Maltin but I like this show about "obscure" movies that aren't really obscure at all). All of the other shows they have completely suck but four or five good shows is more than most channels.

When I saw Doomsday (which was awesome), there was a trailer for a horror movie called The Strangers. What a fucking awesome trailer! I'm very excited about it, moreso than I've been purely on the strength of a trailer in a while, as I know nothing else about it.

They showed that trailer after Dexter on CBS. I thought the part where the first guy with the mask popped out behind Liv Tyler, and just stood there for like 5 minutes was pretty funny.

Anyone hear of this horror flick called WrestleManiac with Rey Mysterio Sr as a psycho killer luchadore? I just saw this tonight and its so over the top its fucking hilarious. Think it just came out on DVD.

Guest Smues

The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift was on HBO earlier and I ended up watching half of it as I had no control of the television, and no razor to slit my wrists with. I knew the movie would suck, but I at least understood the appeal of it to the masses. Fast cars going vroom vroom vroom all over the place. Instead I watched Japanese kids yell at each other for half an hour, in Japanese. Nothing of note happened for a long ass time, and then there was a short car chase, and then more Japanese. How in the fuck do these movies make money? Oh and you got to love the cliched "We'll settle our grudge with a race" that everyone in the room watching called long before it was arranged.

VROOM VROOM VROOM

Both soundtracks suck a major wad.

Fuck that, the soundtrack to the first one is great (for the most part-there's a few clunkers)

And it has MDFMK too on the second soundtrack.

Am I the only one here who thinks Stephen Colbert is way better than Jon Stewart.

No.

Anyways, I saw "Doomsday" last night, and it was a blast. It's dumb, but that's ok, since it's obvious that Neil Marshall was aiming for a dumb but fun action/exploitation flick, and nothing more.

Am I the only one here who thinks Stephen Colbert is way better than Jon Stewart.

I think that so strongly I figured everyone else thought the same.