TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

I saw Role Models yesterday. All around great work from the four main characters. It had the feeling of an Apatow film with the cast. Paul Rudd and McLovin were awesome together.

Agreed. It might be a case of low expectations but I felt it was slightly better then the more anticipated Zack and Miri. In fact, it did a pretty good job of giving "McLovin" a memorable role beyond Superbad. While it was mostly the exact same character as his other movies, Sean Willlam Scott was also very solid with good material.

Cursing. It's been an uphill battle.

I can recall Mr. Show doing a bit about how you used to not be able to say bitch or asshole on tv, but now it was ok... and that was like ten years ago.

Cursing. It's been an uphill battle.

Some stations are easier about it than others. Comedy Central has been noticably free about slinging Shit around. Okay, that's not entirely what I meant, but you get the idea. Chocolate News, South Park, and the Daily Show/Colbert election night special all used it pretty casually here over the past week or so. And as mentioned, The Shield gets away with just about everything at some point or another, even if it's kind of muttered in the background.

Guest Smues

I saw Madagascar 2 today. It's pretty much the same as the first one. Awful, except the stuff with the penguins, which is pretty damn funny. They just need to give the penguins their own movie and get it over with.

Speaking of Madagascar 2, I had a good funny/offensive moment regarding that movie.

I was at the theater, and this black chick walks by the display that says "Escape 2 Africa" and she says "Yeah, that's where I want to escape to!"

So I muttered "You're welcome to it, bitch..."

I can't stand black folks that say that "I want to go back to Africa" shit...what? go to mass genocide, mass AIDS outbreaks, mass poverty?

Wait, I guess that's most black neighborhoods, amirite?

Someone feel free to correct me, but I swear I heard Vic (The Shield) drop an F-Bomb at some point during Season 2. I've also noticed South Park continues to censor "shit" unless it serves some point in the episode, as in "Le Petite Tourette" and the very end of "Imagination Land", though the later is available uncensored.

This reminds me of this white girl in my class who was like (I'm in a African Books/Comp Literature class) "I'm taking this class cause I want to learn about Africa, blah blah blah, and I want to go live in Africa."

My teacher from Somalia (smart fellow, has been asked 4 times to become President, but has declined all times) was like "Africa? AFRICA? Africa? You sure? AFRICA?!?"

Guest Smues
I can't stand black folks that say that "I want to go back to Africa" shit...what? go to mass genocide, mass AIDS outbreaks, mass poverty?

Well clearly it's because three hundred years ago their ancestors lived there. DUH!

I love how people say they want to go 'back' to Africa, when they themselves, nor any of their family has ever been there. But I'm white so what do I know.

I can pretty much tell you that there's been no f-bombs on the Shield.

Yeah there has, at least one. I wish I could remember exactly when it was, but I clearly recall going "wait, what?" and rewinding the DVD just to make sure. I think it might've even been in the closed captioning.

Guest Smues

Between various Southpark episodes and the original airing of "A Season on the Brink" I've heard just about every word on cable TV.

Well clearly it's because three hundred years ago their ancestors lived there. DUH!

I love how people say they want to go 'back' to Africa, when they themselves, nor any of their family has ever been there. But I'm white so what do I know.

Just like the Jews and Israel. But god...I mean g-d forbid you bring that up at all.

Just like the Jews and Israel. But god...I mean g-d forbid you bring that up at all.

I'm Jewish (by birth, not choice, but that's a different discussion all together), and I hate when my Jewish friends start talking like they were born in Isreal. None o them have roots that go back to Isreal and they talk about it like they've lived there for their entire lives. If I even dare bring it up though, they will bitch to me about it hours.

So I'm, for one reason or another, watching the commentary on my Upright Citizens Brigade dvds...

Amy Poehler, talking about earning your red wings. That's pretty cool.

A "Warriors" tribute, Joy Division, and even a reference to "The Faculty." "American Dad" is so much better than "Family Guy" in so many ways.

I'm still amazed that TV can get away with a lot of stuff but Radio can't say or do anything without getting in trouble.

A "Warriors" tribute, Joy Division, and even a reference to "The Faculty." "American Dad" is so much better than "Family Guy" in so many ways.

Family Guy was better before it was overloaded with musical numbers. American Dad is just a full story and flows so much better than the repeating jokes on Family Guy.

And the reason TV can get away with more than radio is TV at least has some safeguards in place. Much of the bad language can either be V-chipped out or it's on the pay channels. Radio is open access to everyone in the area with zero safeguards. Granted kids here more horrible things at home than they will ever hear on television but we are just going to pretend they don't.

So for some reason NBC blacked out on my TV, which made me miss Chuck. That kind of pissed me off, I pulled up the search guide to find something else to watch, and I seen a show on CBS called "Big Bang Theory". I've heard a lot about this show, but didn't think it would be my cup of tea. I was wrong, the show was great.

Yeah, I look forward to it every Monday. Tonight's episode had some nice character continuity to it as well (season 1 established Sheldon's burger of choice - which was a replacement for eating at Big Boy - as well as 'his seat' on the couch).

Continuing my boredom/frittering my time away with my dvd collection, I'm now watching Eddie Izzard's 'Circle' with the trivia track on. It's a bit like Pop-Up Video (oh man, I should have taken that in the tv show draft... now there's a delayed reaction).

Fascinating stuff... he's doing the bit about monkeys learning sign language, and it's telling me that female spider monkeys have such an elongated clitoris that they are often mistaken for males. And now it's telling me that a monkey was tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in Kentucky in the 1920s. Now that's interesting!

I really like the effort that goes into Eddie Izzard dvds. They all have this trivia track, as well as an audio commentary. Yes, a commentary on a stand up performance. As an aspiring comedian myself, this is quite valuable. 'Dress To Kill' even has him doing the entire set in French. With subtitles, it's still funny.

. And now it's telling me that a monkey was tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in Kentucky in the 1920s. Now that's interesting!

Actually it happened in South Bend, Indiana. I want to know the story, but the story only shows up in lists of random facts and odd laws.