TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

Guest wildpegasus

I really have no idea why DBZ is so popular. For a show that's ALL fighting, and virtually no character development, it's tremendously boring due to the massive amount of filler. The Cell saga is probably the best because it has the least amount of filler. It's about three times as long as the Buu saga in the manga, yet they last the same amount of time in the anime. THere's something wrong with that.

The best think I've seen out of DBZ, anime-wise, by FAR is the special in the alternate future with Trunks and Gohan vs. androids 17 and 18. It's really, really good.

Eh, I don't mind DBZ that much. Fun for seeing super crazy brawls.

However, I do prefer the prequel series, Dragonball. Less uberness, more just plain ol' fun.

Oh heck yes, Dragonball blows DBZ out of the water, but I guess DBZ has a pro wrestling type of feel to it, and there is a fair amount of tension to the actual fights

Dragonball was beyond awesome at points but at other times it wasn't as good. Still, I absolutely loved it. Best fight of the series was Master Rochi under disguise vs Goku in Goku's first ever tournament.

I was watching a dub and all of the sudden the storyline seemed to skip a lot of stuff so they could go right into the last fighting tournament. What was up with that?

DB is much better than DBZ because there's MUCH less filler.

One thing about DBZ I hate is you're damned if you do, damned if you don't in terms of Dub v Sub

Sub has Vegeta and Frieza with the best voices ever. Goku still sounds like a child when he grows up, though, and I just can't get past that.

Dub has Vegeta and ESPECIALLY Frieza with the worst voices ever.

Plus changing Mr. Satan's name? Heresy.

I heard Escaflowne was shown on Adult Swim. How was it received? That show rules it, but hald the reason is the incredible Japanese voice acting. Dilandau's awesome.

The fights in the show, by and large fucking SUCK in my opinion, tho.

It was the movie that aired. About a year ago, I think. It was okay, I suppose. I was entertained. Though I don't really have a good memory of it, no idea how it was received nor how it stacks up as an Escaflowne production, since I've watched exactly one episode of the series thus far.

Have any of you seen Midori no Hibi if not watch it......

I watched some of the anime after reading the manga in its entirety. It's alright, but it pales in comparison to the manga. Certain characters are given way too little time or are cut entirely and they somehow manage to sneak filler into a thirteen episode series that covers a manga which went on for eighty-five long chapters. I loved Midori no Hibi in manga form and was really quite disappointed with the anime, to be honest.

I havent read it yet, now after hearing that i deff have to check it out. Damn Naruto fillers :)

Just.... Just watch The Vision of Escaflowne series subbed. It shouldn't be too hard to find at all. It really is the best. Best heroes, best villains, good animation, incredible voice acting, best score ever, besides maybe Cowboy Bebop (Same person).

You really should see this show. It makes most shows look like heaping piles of shit, much less animes. It's only one season. Do it.

The movie is OK. Same VAs, great Music, but the plot cannot compare. And it's trying way too hard to be this dour violent anime instead of the pure majesty of the series.

The Vision of Escaflowne series is the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy epic. No exaggeration.

Guest wildpegasus
WP it only gets better wait till you get into the real fights, your gonna be blown away. Im on episode 80. Have any of you seen Midori no Hibi if not watch it......

I'm on episode 47 or 48 now and am commencing downloading 51 -74. Looking through the list I regret seeing that I'm quickly catching up to where the series is at now. I want to be downloading at least 200 episodes.

hasnt it gotten a lot better? but dont worry they normally air every tues and Dattebayo normally has them dubbed by weds. This week is a double episode....

Dilandau could be described as fascinatingly insane. He is charismatic, ]arrogant, vain, smug, egocentric, maniacal, ruthless, violent, cocky, insubordinate, obsessive, impulsive, capricious, moody, and prone to megalomania. As the leader of Zaibach's Ryuugekitai (Dragon Slayers), Dilandau frequently abuses his subordinates and defies his superiors. He displays severe deficiencies in the areas of self-control, compassion, and conscience. He loves battle, excessive destruction, and fire. Yet, his sadistic tendencies belie a troubled past and a more complex character, depicted in flashbacks and psychological breakdowns.

Just watch it. fuckholes.

Just.... Just watch The Vision of Escaflowne series subbed. It shouldn't be too hard to find at all. It really is the best. Best heroes, best villains, good animation, incredible voice acting, best score ever, besides maybe Cowboy Bebop (Same person).

You really should see this show. It makes most shows look like heaping piles of shit, much less animes. It's only one season. Do it.

The movie is OK. Same VAs, great Music, but the plot cannot compare. And it's trying way too hard to be this dour violent anime instead of the pure majesty of the series.

The Vision of Escaflowne series is the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy epic. No exaggeration.

Yokko Kanno is who you were talking about, also worked on Turn A Gundam, Macross Plus and countless other series.

yeah, know It's Yokka Kano. Have a couple of her albums. (The Bebop remix album is fucking swell)

I'll watch anything she does. Would bebop be the same withour "Green Bird"? Would Escaflowne be the same without ANY of it's music? Macross Pluss would be really awesome if the concert scene had shit music. She seriously makes shows.

It's not like I'm actively avoiding it. I've been meaning to watch it, but the one episode I saw was on YouTube and the quality was awful, so now I'm waiting on a better quality torrent of the series.

is any1 here up to date with the bleach anime??

Guest wildpegasus

I'm a little over episode fifty now so I'm not up to date yet but I'm getting there.

i finally saw neon genesis evangelion (not actually done with it yet), i actually really like it, though i'm dreading the apparently much maligned budget cut ending. the 'end' movie is on netflix with a very long wait. i wonder is there some point where i can just skip over this supposedly shitty ending and go to the movie? i tend to agree shinji is a bit annoying, but i like the character interactions btwn the pilots.

Anybody got any views on "Last Exile", "Wolf's Rain" or "X"? These sounded interesting from descriptions and reviews.

Episodes 25 and 26 are the series' "ending". Do yourself a favor and just watch End of Evangelion instead. It takes the place of those two episodes.

What I've seen of Wolf's Rain, I've liked, but not enough to track down the whole series. It's got that Cowboy Bebop art style that I enjoy, but the plot's kinda bizarre and incomprehensible even by anime standards.

Wolf's Rain starts off well enough, but they try too much to make it all crazy like. I haven't seen all of it since it's first airing on Adult Swim (And there was probably some cutting) but by the end of the series I became disinterested in it.

The only thing I know about X is X: The Movie. Don't know the series (Is there a series?) but the movie was cool. The art style might be a bit old, but it's a fun little movie.

As for everything else I missed. I'm probably in the minority, but I like DBZ more than DB. I watched DBZ first and I just find some of the fights in DB to be inferior, I guess I mark for big explosions. There also weren't a lot of interesting characters in DB. Master Roshi and Tien were cool to watch in DB. Admittingly, DBZ should have stopped at the end of the Frieza saga. Everything after that while enjoyable (Filler sucks, but it's not death to the anime) is overkill.

Berserk, Trigun, and Samurai Champloo are great. Berserk and Trigun's endings were poor though. I've probably seen all the episodes of Cowboy Bebop, but never in order. It gets a lot of hype and it does look good, but I've never tried to sit down and watch it in order.

Would Yu Yu Hakusho be worth watching after the Dark Tournament?

The Berzerk manga when all's said and done will probably cover literally at least 6x the material the anime did.

Trigun, similarly is still running in Manga form.

Last Exile is pretty swell. Amazing animation for a TV show. ONly seen the first volume.

Wolf's Rain I could not get into.

I dunno about X the series, but X the movie is just gawdawful. I know the previews look cool, but trust me. The only cool thing about it is the unintentionally hilarious anticlimactic final duel. It pretty much sums up the movie.

Episodes 25 and 26 are the series' "ending". Do yourself a favor and just watch End of Evangelion instead. It takes the place of those two episodes.

25 & 26 are the ending Hideaki Anno wanted though. (I'm sure he didn't want the shite animation)

End of Evangelion, in a way, is Anno mocking the fans.

Rei's so hot! *fap fap fap* oh shit it's the end of the world! Boom! Boom! Everyone dies screaming! Except Shinji, who instead of finding a little happiness and redemption is still a miserable shit. Oh, and by the way, here's some of the death threats y'all sent me about eps 25 & 26 assholes!

I personally prefer End, though ep 26 does have its merits, if 25 had somewhat set it up. And End has some real moments of fucking animated majesty.

In that vein? Excel Saga. And the Ultimate Teacher. Maybe Ranma too. In the f'ed up serious-not-humorous collumn, Serial Experiment: Lain and Texhnolyze.

Azumanga Daioh's the funniest anime I've ever seen by a long shot, tho.

And I do believe I forgot Read or Die, which has the distinction of being completely awesome, and having the best name of any anime ever. It's three half-hour OVAs, which can basically be taken as a 90-minute movie. Great animation, some awesome action scenes, and one of the most loveably protaganists ever. Followed by an above-average 26-epi series.

I have every ep except for the most recent one.

Would Yu Yu Hakusho be worth watching after the Dark Tournament?

Personally, no. The Chapter Black saga is okay-ish at times, but other than a possessed Yusuke kicking Sensui's ass into next week, it gets rather dull. The Three Kings saga gets mind numbingly boring when they aren't fighting, sadly.

what are some "f'd up" anime?

Cromartie High School. I mentioned it once before. More subdued and deadpan than FLCL, Excel Saga, BoBoBo, etc., but the randomness and absurdity is intact and added in is the Azumanga-like HS setting and assorted parodies of the 'delinquint' genre. I can't recommend it enough.

I thought Wolf's Rain blew. I hated the type of ending it got (as I usually do) and the road getting there was nothing special either. It was rather boring, the characters were largely insufferable throughout and the plot was as vague, incomprehensible and pretentious as possible for seemingly no other reason than to make it so and have it be classified as thought provoking. Visuals and the Yoko Kanno soundtrack are pluses.

I thought Wolf's Rain blew.

It was rather boring, the characters were largely insufferable throughout and the plot was as vague, incomprehensible and pretentious as possible for seemingly no other reason than to make it so and have it be classified as thought provoking. Visuals and the Yoko Kanno soundtrack are pluses.

My impressions, although I didn't have the patience to stick with it for more than 3 eps at a time.

Guest wildpegasus

I'm a little over episode fifty now so I'm not up to date yet but I'm getting there.

ragingfear79, I just watched episode 60. There was a bit of a lull there beforehand but now they seem to be hitting on all cylinders.

And props to the biggest "I never saw that coming" that I perhaps have ever watched. Unreal.

muahaha just wait it gets better. Even the fillers are way out of hand.

25 & 26 are the ending Hideaki Anno wanted though. (I'm sure he didn't want the shite animation)

End of Evangelion, in a way, is Anno mocking the fans.

Rei's so hot! *fap fap fap* oh shit it's the end of the world! Boom! Boom! Everyone dies screaming! Except Shinji, who instead of finding a little happiness and redemption is still a miserable shit. Oh, and by the way, here's some of the death threats y'all sent me about eps 25 & 26 assholes!

I personally prefer End, though ep 26 does have its merits, if 25 had somewhat set it up. And End has some real moments of fucking animated majesty.

I can respect Anno's guts in taking the series in a completely different direction with its finale and found the ideas he conveyed in those episodes fairly interesting. What annoyed me is that he completely hijacked Evangelion to convey said ideas. It's like the previous twenty-four episodes didn't even need to exist. He could have made a short, three episode series with much less developed characters and it would have had about the same impact.

Also, may I just say that the scene in End with Komm, Susser Tod playing in the background is one of my favorite in all of anime.

You people seem to know a hell of a lot more than me, so I ask you for suggestions. I need a new series to get hooked on.

I like a little bit of everything, but my favorites tend to be Sci-Fi of the very-fucked-up variety: Texhnolyze, Serial Experiments: Lain, etc.

Can you guys recommend me some series along those lines?