TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

E3 2006: The Thread

The Wii shell controller looks great. I'll be picking up a 360 after a price drop and a probably get the Wii at launch depending on the titles available. The PS3's price tag right now is way too much. I'd imagine they'll cut it down some. Right?

Big McLargeHuge:

Early adopters will siphon up the PS3 launch systems. Well, at least the "real" ones.

Demand will determine how long that price lasts. I'm sure Sony has targets projected already, and if they hit them continually they'll keep the price the same.

From what I understand MS is phasing out the Cores.

Sony surely isn't going to make the Tard Pack PS3 incapable of being upgraded, right? They surely will follow MS' lead and make the 60 gb HD/Hi-def functionality/removeable memory a single CIP, right? So that customers can upgrade at their own discretion, right?

You can make the Core 360 identical to functionality to the Premium, but if the base hardware of the PS3 are two totally different machines, Sony messed up big time.

The Nintendo price point is still a tiny mystery, but the best guesses are $199 low to $250 high. I think that depends on the pack-in game, if any. I suspect identical HW with an option to purchase a packed-in Smash Bros. for the additional $50. Mario Galaxy may be a good bet too, but a multiplayer game seems to fit in better with Nintendo's MO.

By that do you mean from Japanese devs?

DOA Xtreme 2 is going to retain the gameplay from XBV, but now will have jetskiing.

Blue Dragon hasn't popped up yet.

Other stuff is old news.

Xbox Live Arcade gets -- Pac-Man, Frogger, Galaca, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting, Time Pilot, Ultimate Mortal Kombat, Scramble, Dig Dug, Rally-X, Contra (will the Konami code work on XBL?), Ms. Pac-Man, Root Beer Tapper and Paperboy. All the games will be updated for HD and loaded with achivements. Microsoft is also working to create an environment for independent studios on XBL Arcade and have already signed parterships with 100 developers.

Xbox 360 trailers shown -- Lost Planet, Tabel Tennis, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, NHL 2K7, F.E.A.R., Too Human, Viva Pinata, MotoGP 06, Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle-Earth II, Sonic the Hedgehog, Madden NFL 07, World Series of Poker, Saint's Row, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 07, John Woo's Stranglehold, Enchanted Arms, Test Drive Unlimited, NCAA Football 07, Dead Rising, DDR Universe, Prey, Superman Returns: The Videogame, NBA 2K7, Crackdown, Ninety-Nine Nights and Gears of War.

Anya--you get DOAX2 and online UMK3--aren't you glad you got a 360 now?

EGM says no Smash Bros til 2007. You figured they would have shown something today otherwise.

A console's premier fighting game doesn't make launch...the more things change...

Moore just gave props to Hironobu Sakaguchi, the man behind the machine's upcoming Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey, who is currently sitting in the audience. We're also now looking at a new trailer for Blue Dragon, which is confirmed for a release this holiday in Japan -- doesn't look like we'll be getting it until 2007, though.

Too bad MS didn't have it ready last year at Jpn launch when it could have made a real impact.

EGM says no Smash Bros til 2007. You figured they would have shown something today otherwise.

A console's premier fighting game doesn't make launch...the more things change...

Look at this way, if Nintendo is already going to have the Zelda game launch along side the Wii, would it be a wise move to have another huge title like Smash Bros come out as well? If anything Smash Bros could come out a few months later in the beginning of 2007........you know I can offically say I want it to be the year of 2007.

And Halo 3 has been offically annouced and for all those with a 360 and is connect to Xbox Live....DOWNLOAD THE TRAILER RIGHT FUCKING NOW.....or asap. Which ever works best for you. :D

While TP using the Wiimote is great and all, it isn't built from the ground-up as a Wii game, and is isn't going to be a heavy multiplayer game, which would make sense considering the direction Nintendo wants to go with the Wii.

New Culdcept?! Omg what system?! That system is so bought.

I don't really care about the capabilities of the new consoles because we're in total diminishing returns mode right now. Most developers can't even afford to make games that push the current systems, so giving them better hardware's not going to make a difference. Games look fine now and nothing I'm seeing in these systems looks all that much better than what we've got already. It's nothing like the graphics difference of last generation. But I'll buy a PS3 because it's got all the fighters on it. I'm not excited though; this upcoming generation just feels like a burden.

Anya--you get DOAX2 and online UMK3--aren't you glad you got a 360 now?

No but I am more excited for DOAX2 than UMK3.

Games look fine now and nothing I'm seeing in these systems looks all that much better than what we've got already. It's nothing like the graphics difference of last generation. But I'll buy a PS3 because it's got all the fighters on it. I'm not excited though; this upcoming generation just feels like a burden.

I have no idea what you are talking about there. 360 looks ten times better than Xbox, but maybe that is because I've only seen 360 on an HD TV.

And the differences between 1080i and 1080p are miniscule; the differences are too hard to determine for most consumers; 1080p is a niche market. The sweet spot is 720p. But you know what? the real question is will your TV be able to run 1080p?"

Umm, can some explain this to me.

New Culdcept?! Omg what system?! That system is so bought.

360 Exclusive. Which should help them move some systems in Japan, at least.

It's like the old school platformer is finally coming back from near-death, and in a big way.

Another 16-bit classic gets revived...

E3 06: Atari digs up Earthworm Jim

Publisher to make a variety of "handheld and online" games featuring the anellid superhero over the next five years, first comeback title in development at Shiny.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot

Posted May 10, 2006 7:26 am PT

LOS ANGELES--While Atari announced it sold off the rights to its TimeShift and Stuntman franchises earlier today, it also picked up another notable series. The publisher today announced that it has "claimed online and handheld rights" for Earthworm Jim games, and that it will make a number of titles featuring Shiny Entertainment's bizarre hero over the next five years.

Atari says Shiny Entertainment is already at work on a 3D side-scrolling platformer "for next-generation handheld system." In addition to Jim, the game will see the returns of his familiar cast of cohorts, including Princess What's-Her-Name, and Peter Puppy. The game will feature open level designs that allow for exploration, puzzles, power-ups, and the series' trademark askew sense of humor. Atari is also promising two-player competitive modes.

The original Earthworm Jim was published by Playmates. Majesco entertainment also had a hand in putting future iterations of the game in stores.

The original developer being back on board is promising, although Shiny has managed to piss away their good rep from the EWJ games by releasing mediocre to bad games that had rad concepts but failed big time in execution.

Plus, the EWJ series really floundered post-EWJ2, with 2 terrible games (EWJ 3D and EWJ Menace 2 the Galaxy) and some terrible handheld ports (Majesco managed to screw up ports of the 16 bit EWJ games, which is freakin' amazing but unsurprising).

However, Lara did it, and the PoP series did it in spectacular fashion, so we could see something grand afterall.

And the differences between 1080i and 1080p are miniscule; the differences are too hard to determine for most consumers; 1080p is a niche market. The sweet spot is 720p. But you know what? the real question is will your TV be able to run 1080p?"

Umm, can some explain this to me.

I don't have HD, but 1080 is interlaced and 1080p is progressive scan.

Some info on i v. p http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449-6361600-1.html

I haven't the faintest clue about 720p except that it is like supposed to be the bestest.

Nintendo is releasing a new Duck Hunt for Wii.

I wonder if it will let you cheat like the old one by putting the Wiimote right to the screen like you could the old Zapper.

Before E3 my ranking of what console to buy was: Wii/PS3/360 buying one of Wii or PS3. PS3 and 360 have switched places now, and I'm almost certainly gonna get both Wii and 360.

Right now, there seems like no point to get a PS3 unless you want Blue Ray and, to be honest, I have no need for that right now. In a few years when I get HD'd, but but by then PS3 will have halved in price.

I am absolutely in love with Nintendo's Wii. What the hell did I just say?

Zelda (Wii Version) is making *me* crap my pants in anticipation, and I'm not even a hardcore Zelda fan. Andrew likely hasn't slept this week.

I am absolutely in love with Nintendo's Wii. What the hell did I just say?

Zelda (Wii Version) is making *me* crap my pants in anticipation, and I'm not even a hardcore Zelda fan. Andrew likely hasn't slept this week.

And if he has, he's dreamed of saving the princess over and over and over and over and over and over and over, etc, etc, etc.....

The idea is that 1080 refers to scanlines. The more scanlines (more than 720p) the better the visuals look. If it is interlaced like 1080i than only half of the scanlines at any given time are being shown (half of 1080). If it is progressive than all scanlines are shown at all times as is the case for 1080p. BUT 720p is considered the best because it shows more scanlines at any given time than 1080i. But 1080p is subjectively the best. The problem is almost NOBODY's television can display 1080p. Even if you get a 1080p signal most likely your television will downgrade it to probably 720p.

This is also just semantics. The human eye can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.