TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2006: Conference Semifinals

The Mavs got jobbed on about 5 different plays down the stretch, I hope and pray it's not a close game at the end of Game 6 since they likely won't get any of the calls again.

I think the refs have been consist in the final seconds of all of the playoff games where no foul will be called unless it is a flagent.

The Mavs got jobbed on about 5 different plays down the stretch, I hope and pray it's not a close game at the end of Game 6 since they likely won't get any of the calls again.

You're not calling biased officiating, are you?

Stern would much rather have the Mavs in the WCF. I thought the only questionable call was the 2nd jumpball. Looked like Dallas got the TO in before Ginobli got there to me, but Dallas still got 2 shots off at the end.

Well, I think the refs did give San Antonio the benefit of a doubt a little bit tonight to keep an appearance of propriety, but it's only to make up for the bad calls that went Dallas's way earlier in the series. I certainly wouldn't compain about it.

It was another good game tonight, and I really couldn't get too down about the loss. San Antonio was supposed to win tonight, and a one point loss with two chances to win it inside 3 seconds really isn't that bad. Game 6 is where Dallas is supposed to close out the series.

And since, I didn't mention it earlier, how about LeBron? He's looking like he could carry a team to the Finals on his back at the age of 21. I mean honestly, who's the second best player on that team? I'm not even sure I can tell you. Drew Gooden? Donyell Marshall? Larry Hughes didn't even play in the last three games and they just beat the defending Eastern Conference champs three in a row.

This might be the last season for the next 12 years we see somebody win the MVP other than LeBron or D-Wade. I honestly think that LeBron's going to be so much better than Jordan that when he retires, there won't even be debate as to who the greatest basketball player of all time was.

Guest Princess Leena
I'd go so far as to call Duncan the Pete Sampras of basketball. Not flashy, not a big personality, but supremely talented.

Meh.

Pete was completely antisocial, though. Be careful. :)

I'm not a Spurs or Mavs fan, but I am a huge fan of games like that.

I want to see them go 7 just for the fuck of it.

Even if Detroit comes back to win this series, they have an all of a sudden sharp and well rested Miami Heat team waiting in the wings.

How can anyone not love these playoffs?

You're not calling biased officiating, are you?

Stern would much rather have the Mavs in the WCF. I thought the only questionable call was the 2nd jumpball. Looked like Dallas got the TO in before Ginobli got there to me, but Dallas still got 2 shots off at the end.

I'm going back a little bit further to the play where Duncan fouled Harris on a lay up attempt, Harris grabbed the rebound and then as he was going up again, Duncan basically smothered his head in a sort of headlock to get a jump ball there. Ginobili reached around and over Terry's arm for the strip with under 2 minutes (?) to go, which was a foul when other players did it to Dirk or Duncan. And clearly Terry had possession and he and two other Mavs were calling time before the Spurs tied him up for the last jump ball of the game.

None of the calls were horrible. None of them cost the Mavs the game. It just doesn't look good when one team gets every break inside of the last few minutes in what amounted to a one point game. The first jump ball play occurred at 5.3 I think, the Mavs won the 2nd tip with 2.4 left. Those 3 seconds could easily have given Dallas a better look, but then again they didn't score at all in the last 2 minutes so they deserved to lose.

Guest NYankees
And since, I didn't mention it earlier, how about LeBron? He's looking like he could carry a team to the Finals on his back at the age of 21. I mean honestly, who's the second best player on that team? I'm not even sure I can tell you. Drew Gooden? Donyell Marshall? Larry Hughes didn't even play in the last three games and they just beat the defending Eastern Conference champs three in a row.

This might be the last season for the next 12 years we see somebody win the MVP other than LeBron or D-Wade. I honestly think that LeBron's going to be so much better than Jordan that when he retires, there won't even be debate as to who the greatest basketball player of all time was.

Lebron is going to have to win what 6 mvps, 7 NBA Finals and have a 4peat if he wants to top Jordan.

I think we might be getting a bit carried away on the Lebron hype for now. I wouldn't be shocked if the Cavs completely tanked in these last 2 games and the Pistons went on to win this series anyway. That said, even if they do come back and win this series, I don't see them beating the Heat.

I am really, really hoping to see Miami/Cleveland and Phoenix/Dallas in the next round. The past few years have been all about this boring, dreary shit with the Pistons, Nets, Spurs.

Guest Princess Leena

Yeah, let's not assume the Cavs have this won yet...

There's going to be a lot of pressure on them now for Game 6... tension they haven't faced yet.

And if they don't finish it out at home, I really don't like their odds in a Game 7.

There's going to be a lot of pressure on them now for Game 6... tension they haven't faced yet.

And if they don't finish it out at home, I really don't like their odds in a Game 7.

There wasn't any tension when they were down 2-0 to the Pistons? There wasn't any pressure placed on the Cavaliers when Rasheed Wallace said the Pistons would win the series in five games? The pressure for game six won't be any greater than the pressure they have already faced.

There wasn't any tension when they were down 2-0 to the Pistons? There wasn't any pressure placed on the Cavaliers when Rasheed Wallace said the Pistons would win the series in five games? The pressure for game six won't be any greater than the pressure they have already faced.

No, there wasn't any pressure on the Cavs in games 3 & 4 because no one expected them to win either of those games. There was no pressure in game 5, because everyone naturally assumed Detroit would win that pivotal game at home. In fact, this is the first truly pressurized game LeBron has ever played, because if they lose Game 6 AT HOME, their season will be over in the same manner that Phoenix wiped the floor with the Lakers in Game 7. If you don't think that an elimination game where you can knock out the 2 time defending Eastern Conference champs AND the odds on favorites to win this year's NBA title is different than trying to get the series back to 2-1, then you clearly know nothing about sports.

I can't believe that Shawn Marion and Allen Iverson received votes for the first team. Those voters shouldn't be allowed to submit a ballot next year. They obviously aren't paying attention or taking their voting seriously.

Um, did you look at their numbers? Its not like this was Malik Rose getting first place votes. Those guys both put up incredible numbers this year.

I could give a shit less about numbers. If you vote Marion over Dirk or Lebron, you have no business voting on these things. It's as simple as that.

Allen Iverson didn't make the playoffs. Let me say that again... didn't make the playoffs... in the NBA... everyone makes the playoffs in the NBA. He doesn't deserve first team, especially over guys like Nash, Kobe, Chauncey and D-Wade, who were all MVP candidates.

The All-NBA teams are based entirely on numbers. Every award is, outside of the MVP.

That said, I had Tony Parker in Iverson's spot, and Pau Gasol ahead of Carmelo Anthony. Other than that, I had all the same players right, just not on the same teams. Shaq could average 5 points and 2 rebounds and he'd still get voted first team, just because he's Shaq.

I still think the Pistons can win, too. Remember, they were down 3-2 to the Heat last year, and the Nets the year before that.

No, there wasn't any pressure on the Cavs in games 3 & 4 because no one expected them to win either of those games. There was no pressure in game 5, because everyone naturally assumed Detroit would win that pivotal game at home. In fact, this is the first truly pressurized game LeBron has ever played, because if they lose Game 6 AT HOME, their season will be over in the same manner that Phoenix wiped the floor with the Lakers in Game 7. If you don't think that an elimination game where you can knock out the 2 time defending Eastern Conference champs AND the odds on favorites to win this year's NBA title is different than trying to get the series back to 2-1, then you clearly know nothing about sports.

There wasn't any pressure on the Cavaliers in games three or four? How about the pressure from the media for LeBron James to prove that he is worth all of the hype? How about the pressure from the Cavaliers' fans for the Cavaliers to win on their home court? How about the pressure from the Cavaliers' head coach for the Cavaliers to comeback from a 2-0 deficit? If the Pistons were to win that third game in the series, it would've been over. The Cavaliers faced that possibility at 2-0, 2-1, and 2-2, yet they continued to win and now have the advantage at 2-3. If anything, all of the pressure is on the Pistons now. The Pistons were the team that people expected would have a cakewalk to the NBA Finals, and now they are on the brink of elimination against a team many thought they would sweep. The Cavaliers have already proven that they can win in Detroit, Detroit hasn't proven that they can win in Cleveland. The Cavaliers don't have to win game six to still have the advantage in this series. If you don't agree with that, then YOU clearly know nothing about sports.

Guest El Satanico

I haven't seen anyone, in this thread, writing off the Pistons.

There wasn't any pressure on the Cavaliers in games three or four? How about the pressure from the media for LeBron James to prove that he is worth all of the hype? How about the pressure from the Cavaliers' fans for the Cavaliers to win on their home court? How about the pressure from the Cavaliers' head coach for the Cavaliers to comeback from a 2-0 deficit? If the Pistons were to win that third game in the series, it would've been over. The Cavaliers faced that possibility at 2-0, 2-1, and 2-2, yet they continued to win and now have the advantage at 2-3. If anything, all of the pressure is on the Pistons now. The Pistons were the team that people expected would have a cakewalk to the NBA Finals, and now they are on the brink of elimination against a team many thought they would sweep. The Cavaliers have already proven that they can win in Detroit, Detroit hasn't proven that they can win in Cleveland. The Cavaliers don't have to win game six to still have the advantage in this series. If you don't agree with that, then YOU clearly know nothing about sports.

Underdogs don't face pressure against overwhelming favorites when they're behind in the series. That's why they're underdogs, ie they're not expected to win. The Pistons are THE favorites to win the NBA title. For comparison's sake, the Cavs were a pick'em against the Wiz even with the HCA. If you don't get that, that's on you. Almost universally the Cavs were expected to get swept, or perhaps steal game 3 at home and lose in 5 to Detroit. They've been playing with house money the last three games. If they lose game 6, the season is over. If they win game 6 they make the ECF. That my friend is the definition of pressure, not validating LeBron's status or winning a game at home that no one expected them to win, and really wouldn't have been that shocked if they lost. Now they have a chance to ELIMINATE the Pistons, and you're trying to equate that to making the series deficit 2-1.

I won't bother responding after this because you've proven that you don't understand one simple fact, the hardest game to win in any series, ESPECIALLY FOR THE UNDERDOG is the elimination game. The Cavs have almost no postseason experience, while the Pistons fully expect to win the series, but yeah you're right there's NO pressure on Cleveland whatsoever. Explain to the Lakers the idea that winning a game on the road earlier in the series means that you can easily go do it again if you lose game 6 at home. Oh wait, that's right they did just that and got curbstomped in game 7.

The Cavaliers don't have to win game six to still have the advantage in this series. If you don't agree with that, then YOU clearly know nothing about sports.

Umm yeah they do. I'm not discrediting Cleveland, but in crunch time, I don't see Detroit losing at home in Game 7.

The Cavaliers don't have to win game six to still have the advantage in this series. If you don't agree with that, then YOU clearly know nothing about sports.

Umm yeah they do. I'm not discrediting Cleveland, but in crunch time, I don't see Detroit losing at home in Game 7.

Who would have also thought, in crunch time, that the Pistons would lose a 2-0 series lead?

I feel stupid coming in late and reiterating the same points that have been made, but winning a closeout game on your home floor against the best team in the league with absolutely no bigtime playoff experience is the definition of pressure. They have the Pistons on the rope and if they don't finish them off now, they are D-O-N-E in Game 7.

I can't believe this is even being argued. Games 3 and 4 are meaningless compared to what the Cavs are facing now.

Guest El Satanico

Can we all agree that the Pistons and the Cavs are both under pressure in game 6?

Who would have also thought, in crunch time, that the Pistons would lose a 2-0 series lead?

Because:

A. It wasn't crunch time. Neither team were facing elimination at that point.

B. Detroit underestimated Cleveland in the last few games, hell as Ripper might say, even going back to Game 1. If they still lose, it'd be in Cleveland. In Detroit, the pressure is on BOTH teams, but moreso on Cleveland because they are the road team, and assuming there is Game 7, that meant Detroit won Game 6 and would have the momentum.

THAT is crunch time.

I feel stupid coming in late and reiterating the same points that have been made, but winning a closeout game on your home floor against the best team in the league with absolutely no bigtime playoff experience is the definition of pressure. They have the Pistons on the rope and if they don't finish them off now, they are D-O-N-E in Game 7.

I can't believe this is even being argued. Games 3 and 4 are meaningless compared to what the Cavs are facing now.

Here is the question, would you have thought the Cavaliers would have a chance in this series if they lost either game three or four and fell behind 3-0 or 3-1 in the series? You think there wasn't any pressure on the players to win on their home court? If you think that any team that falls behind 2-0 in a series doesn't feel pressure to win, then you don't understand what sports are all about. The PISTONS are the team with all of the pressure in game six and game seven. The Cavaliers have already overcome their pressure, they fended off a possible 3-0 or 3-1 deficit in game three and game four, took the series lead in game five, and now have two opportunities to eliminate a Pistons team that seems to still be shocked they lost a game to the Cavaliers in the first place. Cavaliers have already overcome their pressure, it's the Pistons that will have prove they can do it.

Can we all agree that the Pistons and the Cavs are both under pressure in game 6?

I would love to, if it wasn't for some jackass who wasn't even involved in the initial discussion saying that I don't know anything about sports.