TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2006: Conference Semifinals

Bill Simmons has a great article on the playoffs and the new style of the NBA up on the ESPN website. Whether you like him or not, his "humor", or his blind Sox love, he is phenomenal at analyzing the NBA. His preseason preview ended up being far more accurate than 90% of the ESPN's so-called experts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/060517

That may have been the best article I've ever read on ESPN. I agree with pretty much everything he said, and also am quite happy that for the most part the agonizing to watch 74-72 playoff game has been eliminated from my TV. Even when the Knicks were doing really well with their mastery of basketbrawl, I couldn't stomach that every single night.

I think it's over. I hope it is. I don't care what Penny Marshall reaction is.

Isn't she supposed to be a die-hard Lakers fan? And she was at this game? Oh fuck these bandwagon celebrities.

If the Clippers ever rise championship levels and the Lakers ever drop to Clipper levels then I guarantee you ever smuck in Hollywood will be supporting the Clippers and going "Lakers who?"

This will never happen.

The Clippers are experiencing a better measure of success this year and perhaps they'll stay competetive for the next 2-3 years with the Lakers, but make no mistake about it, LA is Laker country. The Clippers just happen to reside there.

I think it's over. I hope it is. I don't care what Penny Marshall reaction is.

Isn't she supposed to be a die-hard Lakers fan? And she was at this game? Oh fuck these bandwagon celebrities.

If the Clippers ever rise championship levels and the Lakers ever drop to Clipper levels then I guarantee you ever smuck in Hollywood will be supporting the Clippers and going "Lakers who?"

This will never happen.

The Clippers are experiencing a better measure of success this year and perhaps they'll stay competetive for the next 2-3 years with the Lakers, but make no mistake about it, LA is Laker country. The Clippers just happen to reside there.

Exactly. It's somewhat like the Knicks/Nets situation in that in the last 5 years the Nets won the division 4 times, made it to the NBA Finals two years in a row, while the Knicks have been the drizzling shits for that whole time, and even still the area doesn't care about the Nets and MSG would be packed to the rafters if they ever field a competitive team again. The Clippers will always be viewed as the JV team.

Guest El Satanico

According to one of the announcers or courtside reporters, Penny Marshall has season tickets to the Lakers and Clippers, so shut up.

Even if she was a hardcore Lakers fan, why should it mean she can't cheer the Clippers?

According to one of the announcers or courtside reporters, Penny Marshall has season tickets to the Lakers and Clippers, so shut up.

Even if she was a hardcore Lakers fan, why should it mean she can't cheer the Clippers?

Because I'm a hardcore Eagles fan and I even so much as utter a word of support for any other team in the NFL then I'm a bandwagon jumper and not a real fan.

So shut up. She needs to pick one. You can't be a Cubs and White Sox fan at the same time either.

I think thats the latest i've stayed up to watch a basketball game. Unless i'm forgetting a game that ended at 3:00 AM Eastern.

Didn't you cheer for Texas, Dama?

And that's already all been explained. I'm not going to go into it again. I've explained myself a million times.

The point is that I fucking hate celebrities and America's obssession with them and I hate the fact that if I try to watch a basketball, football, whatever game with a team from LA in it then they have to show me all the celebrities in the crowd and go on about what big fans they are. Well they/re not! The Clippers being in the second round has proven it. They're bandwagon jumpers. I knew they weren't real fans in the first place! And it's irritating as hell that we have to be shown them in the stands repeatedly and told what huge fans they are when they aren't!

Guest El Satanico

If two teams are rivals, you should pick a side, but other than that go nuts.

Wow damarama, you are such an irrational nutcase, like the Unabomber.

And that's already all been explained. I'm not going to go into it again. I've explained myself a million times.

The point is that I fucking hate celebrities and America's obssession with them and I hate the fact that if I try to watch a basketball, football, whatever game with a team from LA in it then they have to show me all the celebrities in the crowd and go on about what big fans they are. Well they/re not! The Clippers being in the second round has proven it. They're bandwagon jumpers. I knew they weren't real fans in the first place! And it's irritating as hell that we have to be shown them in the stands repeatedly and told what huge fans they are when they aren't!

Yeah, because God knows they don't spend time focusing on Matthew McConaughey during Texas football, or Eva Longoria at Spurs games, or Tyra Banks at Kings games. It's just something networks do when the action has ceased. Why do you even care? Most sports fans don't even pay attention (I know I don't) and at least it gives uninterested women (wives and mothers) something to focus on. It's utterly harmless.

Second, there is nothing wrong with supporting a team making a good run that you normally wouldn't as long as your team is out of it and they aren't natural rivals. For instance, I grew up in northern California and am a diehard Kings fan. However, if they had a down year and the ever futile Warriors made a deep run, I'd root for them. Doesn't make me a bandwagon jumper. It just adds a little excitement to a game or series that is otherwise fairly meaningless.

You rooted for Texas, the sworn enemy of Oklahoma.

What if Penny Marshall has her reasons for rooting for the Clippers like you did Texas?

Bill Simmons has a great article on the playoffs and the new style of the NBA up on the ESPN website. Whether you like him or not, his "humor", or his blind Sox love, he is phenomenal at analyzing the NBA. His preseason preview ended up being far more accurate than 90% of the ESPN's so-called experts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/060517

That may have been the best article I've ever read on ESPN. I agree with pretty much everything he said, and also am quite happy that for the most part the agonizing to watch 74-72 playoff game has been eliminated from my TV. Even when the Knicks were doing really well with their mastery of basketbrawl, I couldn't stomach that every single night.

id take a 66-64 game over a 125-123 game anyday..different people are into different things...simmons comes across as still salty over the bad boys dethroning his celtics

id take a 66-64 game over a 125-123 game anyday..different people are into different things

I think the ratings over the years would show you that you represent maybe 1 in every 20 NBA fans. No one goes to a playoff game hoping, "Gee I hope whichever team gets to 65 first wins!". There's a difference between an excellently played defensive game, and the streetball that the late 90s showcased.

Here are YOUR 2006 All-NBA 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams

2005-06 All-NBA Teams

2005-06 ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM

Position Player (1st-place votes) Points

Forward LeBron James, Cleveland (116) 610

Forward Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas (105) 584

Center Shaquille O'Neal, Miami (45) 402

Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers (110) 597

Guard Steve Nash, Phoenix (106) 583

2005-06 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM

Forward Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers (15) 309

Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio (17) 277

Center Ben Wallace, Detroit (44) 363

Guard Chauncey Billups, Detroit (21) 378

Guard Dwyane Wade, Miami (13) 373

2005-06 ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM

Forward Shawn Marion, Phoenix (4) 270

Forward Carmelo Anthony, Denver 97

Center Yao Ming, Houston (30) 261

Guard Allen Iverson, Philadelphia (1) 104

Guard Gilbert Arenas, Washington 79

id take a 66-64 game over a 125-123 game anyday..different people are into different things

I think the ratings over the years would show you that you represent maybe 1 in every 20 NBA fans. No one goes to a playoff game hoping, "Gee I hope whichever team gets to 65 first wins!". There's a difference between an excellently played defensive game, and the streetball that the late 90s showcased.

As long as the game is competitive, I really don't mind how low the score is. If a 66-64 game is a result of hard-nosed defense, then I don't mind. If its the result of sloppy play, unforced turnovers and missed open shots, then I wont like it.

Here are YOUR 2006 All-NBA 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams

2005-06 All-NBA Teams

2005-06 ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM

Position Player (1st-place votes) Points

Forward LeBron James, Cleveland (116) 610

Forward Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas (105) 584

Center Shaquille O'Neal, Miami (45) 402

Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers (110) 597

Guard Steve Nash, Phoenix (106) 583

2005-06 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM

Forward Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers (15) 309

Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio (17) 277

Center Ben Wallace, Detroit (44) 363

Guard Chauncey Billups, Detroit (21) 378

Guard Dwyane Wade, Miami (13) 373

2005-06 ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM

Forward Shawn Marion, Phoenix (4) 270

Forward Carmelo Anthony, Denver 97

Center Yao Ming, Houston (30) 261

Guard Allen Iverson, Philadelphia (1) 104

Guard Gilbert Arenas, Washington 79

After looking to see who seemed MIA from the lists I discovered that this is the first time since 1998 that KG didn't make one of the teams, first time since 2000 for T-Mac, and the first time in Tim Duncan's career (1998) that he didn't make the 1st team. Interesting stuff for me at least.

I can't believe that Shawn Marion and Allen Iverson received votes for the first team. Those voters shouldn't be allowed to submit a ballot next year. They obviously aren't paying attention or taking their voting seriously.

I can't believe that Shawn Marion and Allen Iverson received votes for the first team. Those voters shouldn't be allowed to submit a ballot next year. They obviously aren't paying attention or taking their voting seriously.

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (first team votes in parentheses): Kevin Garnett, Minnesota, 94; Tony Parker, San Antonio, 66; Pau Gasol, Memphis, 49; Vince Carter, New Jersey, 47; Paul Pierce, Boston, 29; Jason Kidd, New Jersey, 20; Dwight Howard, Orlando, 11; Marcus Camby, Denver, 9; Richard Hamilton, Detroit, 9; Rasheed Wallace(1), Detroit, 8; Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cleveland, 5; Nenad Krstic, New Jersey, 5; Ray Allen, Seattle, 4; Mehmet Okur, Utah, 4; Michael Redd, Milwaukee, 4; Brad Miller, Sacramento, 3; Joe Johnson, Atlanta, 2; Sam Cassell, L.A. Clippers, 2; Mike Bibby, Sacramento, 1; Chris Bosh, Toronto, 1; Boris Diaw, Phoenix, 1; Antawn Jamison, Washington, 1; Andrei Kirilenko, Utah, 1; Chris Kaman; L.A. Clippers, 1; Chris Paul, New Orleans/Oklahoma City, 1.

'Sheed got a first place vote too. Some of these "homer" votes really defeat the purpose of having awards/honors.

What gets me is that Mehmet Okur got more votes than Kirilenko.

AI is still getting, "I know your name" votes.

Hey Okur had a pretty good season, he played great while AK-47 was injured.

While I do think the TV networks do go overboard on showing celebrities, I do love how they kept showing Phoenix fans doing their LeBron imitation "chomping away" last night.

Cena's Writer, I think you're right about latest game ever. I turned the TV on at about 12:45 hoping to catch the tail end of Inside the NBA and there were still three minutes left in regulation.

Um, did you look at their numbers? Its not like this was Malik Rose getting first place votes. Those guys both put up incredible numbers this year.

I'm really starting to get an uncomfortable '04 Lakers vibe from the Pistons. Even though the score was close through most of the 1st half, the Cavs were clearly outplaying them, its like the 04 Finals all over again. Hope I'm wrong. the fact that Flip Saunders is a shitty coach doesn't help (this isn't bandwagon bashing i've been on the 'flip is overrated' kick since at least midseason)

my fucking God was that a bad half.....I hope Evans break his leg or something so he doesnt play..Flip's coaching some of the worst ive seen

Kobe apparently thinks the world are fucking idiots. Well...alot of people are, but that shit doesnt fly with people that know basketball.

Whatever dude. You quit.

And as much as people are going to try and blame Flip Saunders here, the Pistons are stinking it up because the players on the court just got cocky.

I will say it like this. The Pistons played a horrible game 1. They won by a shit load of points, but that took alot of bad shots, but they hit them. They had the swagger of this team shouldn't be on the court with us, and honestly it is biting them in the ass now. The shit that fell in game one, those same shots aren't falling now. Now they need to play basketball and none of that "Let me embarass you" ball they keep trying to play.