TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2006: Conference Semifinals

When did Gund Arena become Quicken Loans Arena? God what an awful name for an arena.

When Dan Gilbert bought the team from Gordon Gund. Gilbert owns Quicken Loans. What's worse is that it's "The Q" for short . . . not to me, I'll gleefully keep calling The Gund.

That said, I find it surreal that people are sick of the Cavs (notably LeBron of course). Not saying it's completely unjustified, but here in the city of athletic futility (42 years since this city has has a champion in anything), I can't help but raise an eyebrow at it. I mean God forbid Cleveland is the headline instead of a punchline.

I for one am sick of seeing Rasheed's Barkley-like ugliness grinning on my tv.

But I digress.

Well I'm glad 'Sheed made the guarantee. He's usually right. I wish the Pistons would quit pussy-footing around and break Lebron's will and finish the Cav's off.

Guest El Satanico
That said, I find it surreal that people are sick of the Cavs (notably LeBron of course).

From what I've seen, that's mainly damarama. Don't pay him any mind.

I have grown more and more in awe of Lebron during these playoffs. This guy is doing an incredible job when he is the only guy in the playoffs seeing triple teams constantly.

Stop and absorb that. TRIPLE teams and he is putting up great numbers. I honestly do believe that we are looking at the best player in the league and he is 21 years old. Incredible.

Random question.

With all the talk of Cassell in Phoenix with Nash, I have been thinking back. I remember Cassell being traded to Dallas and one of the players they got back was this kid named Tony Dumas. Dude was about 6' 6" and honestly, he played JUST like Kobe Bryant did in his early years. His body type, his form, ball handling, shooting style...it was just like Kobes. He wasn't that accurate of a shooter at that point but you could tell the kid was going to be a baller. Couldn't play D to save his life, but was a hell of a athlete on the offensive end.

Then I remember him doing something stupid like shoving his pregnant girlfriend out of a car or something. He got traded to Cleveland with Wesley Person in the deal that got the suns Antonio McDyess. But after that....I don't know.

Anybody know anything else about him?

Guest NYankees

The Cavs win to tie the series at 2. That is two more wins for the Cavs than most people predicted.

That was a clean block by Evans, though. The Pistons should be playing OT, at the very least.

Yeah, and the fact that Bron Bron stepped out of bounds on that three pointer and the Pistons ended up losing by two, I mean it doesnt excuse the Pistons laying an egg, but that seemed to be an obvious call that should have been overturned.

Of course he's a big star. If you're a big star in the NBA you can bring a gun onto the court and shoot the defenders and it'd be a violation on them.

*whistle*

"Blocking foul on Wallace! You were shuffling your feet when he was shooting at you!"

Oh well. They still have no shot in this series. They're due to be destroyed when they go back to Detroit and if that doesn't break their will then the Pistons will finish it off in the next game.

The Cavs win to tie the series at 2. That is two more wins for the Cavs than most people predicted.

Detroit over Cleveland in 6- It will have Detroit winning 2 home games, then Cleveland winning 2 of theirs, then Detroit winning the next two.

Guest NYankees

Pistons have zero excuse for losing tonight. They are by far the better team and barely won game two and lost games 3 and 4.

Guest Vitamin X

Man, this isn't going to be like the Indianapolis-Pittsburgh of the NBA playoffs, is it?

Cavs are playing way over their heads and they should be getting crushed. Instead, Detroit is somehow letting up. Flip is an awful defensive coach and a noted playoff choker, though.

Whoa, if the Cavaliers manage to win this series, I might actually have interest in the rest of the playoffs, since LeBron is pretty much my favorite player at this point. Unfortunately, there is very little chance of that happening, but even so, at least they gave them a decent fight I suppose.

I love when a commentator praises a guy for good defense only to see him flop like a fish with no contact on the reply. Can the Commish possibly allow some man to man contact in his league someday? I'm tired of watching the NBA degenerate into a softer game than the WNBA.

He didn't step out of bounds. They showed the replay from a different angle on the halftime show.

Oh, and stfu, VX

Here is Stern's proposal for the new seeding system:

The three division winners and the next best team will be the four top seeds and they will be seeded based on record

So for example: This season it would have been

1 Spurs

8 Kings

4 Nuggets

5 Grizzlies

3 Suns

6 Clippers

2 Mavericks

7 Lakers

teams with the better record still get homecourt so Grizzlies would have had it over Denver

First round would have been the same, except with the Grizz advancing instead of the Clippers. I have to believe both second-round series would be squashes, too. That leads to the Spurs/Mavs series that we have right now.